• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
what if Xbox is indeed more powerful by 30% and puts out great games? AND at the same price? Crazy right? but very possible, new studios are hungry. MS is Hungry.

How would that be possible with similar 7nm GPU and CPU? XBX managed to reach that ~30% increase by releasing a year later at +100€ price.

EDIT: All this talk reminds me of how people believed in the old place, that XBX would have a Ryzen CPU.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wait wut? i got warned for trolling, this is a first.

i can't even comment a reference joke ColdSun

who am i trolling,
i guess, i can't make a comment.

Without context on this "joke", it just comes across as trolling.

I don't know how much you know about making jokes on Resetera (I'm an expert), but context and obviousness are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Reddit where you can make a successful joke by being an asshole. If you troll on Resetera, you bring warnings/bans on yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Perfectly fine with the Xbox going back to the original Xbox model of being the niche console that has the best specs and features of the three.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my new favorite thing with this new wave of fanboy warring this new generation kicked off. You got people coming up with all sorts of scenarios in their heads about how AMD will risk getting sued into oblivion, destroy their credibility, and lose tons of business (who would want to contract with AMD when they showed they can't maintain confidentiality with sensitive information?) from other clients just to give MS or Sony a slight edge power-wise for their game console.
I've worked at many places where they have a Chinese wall due to these scenarios.

Your job is on the line of you break NDA, with the threat of financial penalties as well. With that hanging over your head things don't leak.

Also it amuses me that everyone think they are going to AMD. As they run under a hypervisor they could very well go to Nvidia for a custom RTX and still maintain full backwards compatibility.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've worked at many places where they have a Chinese wall due to these scenarios.

Your job is on the line of you break NDA, with the threat of financial penalties as well. With that hanging over your head things don't leak.

Also it amuses me that everyone think they are going to AMD. As they run under a hypervisor they could very well go to Nvidia for a custom RTX and still maintain full backwards compatibility.

Phil Spencer literally went on stage this year at CES to talk about their future consoles using AMD...

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Most games being the same "to the naked eye" actually doesn't matter a lot. People will often gravitate to what they believe to be better, even if they wouldn't pass a blind test between the differences. It wasn't how 900p games looked on XB1 that was the main issue in regards to power, it was that the PS4 was constantly cited as being the better performer for these same titles. People will then opt for what's consistently portrayed as the "better" device even if they never see the differences head-to-head for themselves.

Of course, this isn't to suggest that more powerful hardware is the alpha and omega of console success, as that's clearly and demonstrably not true. Had XB1 and PS4 had the same specs, PS4 would have almost certainly ran away with the generation on price. Had they been the same price, PS4 would have run away with the generation on power. Now, had they been the same price and the same power... MS likely would have held onto the markets they once had (primarily US+UK) but still been outsold globally due to brand awareness. If they had been more powerful at the same price, then they likely would have made some gains in other (non-JP) markets.

It's easy to just say "power doesn't win a console generation", but the truth is that there's no single thing that ever does, as much as those that state "software decides the winner" like to believe. For practically every example people provide of a console that won a generation whilst not being the strongest, there's pretty much also a direct competitor console where its perceived lack of power sealed its fate. The Saturn whilst similar to XB1 in regards to launch stupidity was harmed just as much by the constant citations of it not having the 3D performance to compete with the PS1. Dreamcast's momentum was shutdown almost immediately by a bunch of PS2 tech demos and claims of pushing 66m polygons, etc. A large part of why the strongest console of a generation doesn't typically win is due to factors that either put it outside of direct competition like the Wii (or potentially Switch), or because the strongest console launches into a generation that is already decided (OG Xbox/Gamecube, Xbox One X). Software is also clearly not the silver bullet that guarantees success, because Nintendo's output across every console since the N64 has by and large been the same, but to very different levels of success for their respective platforms.
well said.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
I have a simple, open question:

Has the power difference between the current iterations of Playstation and Xbox ever been significant enough for it to be noteworthy? Sure, you might see a game here or there that people would claim "This couldn't be done on the competition..." (MGS4 with the Blu-Ray, for example), and I'll admit sometimes the occasional third party title (Bayonetta on PS3) can be significantly worse performing than on the other console, but on the whole it sure seems like, from the PS2/OG Xbox generation to the PS4/XB1 generation, both consoles have been more or less the same machine with different branding, and you could more or less play the same exact damn games on one as you could the other.

The point I'm trying to make here is that this talk about power seems like nothing more than empty posturing and rhetoric that never substantiates into anything meaningful in the finished product.

If you want MS exclusives, you go Xbox. If you want Sony exclusives, you go Playstation.

Because they are always the same machine with a different brand.
do not take only absolutes. it doesn't matter only if <<it can't be done on the competition>>.
there are shades of black and white, almost everything can be run on nintendo's handheld, but that does not mean the fidelity is the same.
third party games sell a whole lot than first party overall, and overall engagement is much higher too, especially when exclusives gravitate towards single player story driven narratives.
then its the services offered and the build quality.
I've been buying both consoles at their launches since the start of the millennium, its not as black or white as you state it

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most games being the same "to the naked eye" actually doesn't matter a lot. People will often gravitate to what they believe to be better, even if they wouldn't pass a blind test between the differences. It wasn't how 900p games looked on XB1 that was the main issue in regards to power, it was that the PS4 was constantly cited as being the better performer for these same titles. People will then opt for what's consistently portrayed as the "better" device even if they never see the differences head-to-head for themselves.

Of course, this isn't to suggest that more powerful hardware is the alpha and omega of console success, as that's clearly and demonstrably not true. Had XB1 and PS4 had the same specs, PS4 would have almost certainly ran away with the generation on price. Had they been the same price, PS4 would have run away with the generation on power. Now, had they been the same price and the same power... MS likely would have held onto the markets they once had (primarily US+UK) but still been outsold globally due to brand awareness. If they had been more powerful at the same price, then they likely would have made some gains in other (non-JP) markets.

It's easy to just say "power doesn't win a console generation", but the truth is that there's no single thing that ever does, as much as those that state "software decides the winner" like to believe. For practically every example people provide of a console that won a generation whilst not being the strongest, there's pretty much also a direct competitor console where its perceived lack of power sealed its fate. The Saturn whilst similar to XB1 in regards to launch stupidity was harmed just as much by the constant citations of it not having the 3D performance to compete with the PS1. Dreamcast's momentum was shutdown almost immediately by a bunch of PS2 tech demos and claims of pushing 66m polygons, etc. A large part of why the strongest console of a generation doesn't typically win is due to factors that either put it outside of direct competition like the Wii (or potentially Switch), or because the strongest console launches into a generation that is already decided (OG Xbox/Gamecube, Xbox One X). Software is also clearly not the silver bullet that guarantees success, because Nintendo's output across every console since the N64 has by and large been the same, but to very different levels of success for their respective platforms.

Unfortunately for Microsoft it's mostly about doing stuff to reduce what people on enthusiast sites can bitch at them for than praise them for.

So with the power thing, it's not so that people will say "it's good that they've got the best performing console", it's so that people don't say "lol MS, look at that pixelated mess, can't even achieve 8K". That shit spreads outside these types of places.

However, the narrative that using xCloud allows you to play your games on lots of devices is one of the more positive notions that will stick with the public and drive them long-term toward Xbox. "I'm choosing Xbox because I can play my games anywhere" is something you could definitely hear Average Joe mention.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something that alleviates that is Game Pass. At launch, you'll have access to every MS first party game that is launching on the Scarlett consoles AND all the BC titles from the Xbox One, 360 and OG, for $10. No need to spend another $200-300 in new games at launch.

As new games come, you can know with confidence you'll have access to everything the revamped Xbox Game Studios is putting out plus whatever 3rd party titles MS gets into the service.

Yep. If we look at previous launches, we can expect at least 2-3 new 1st party games to play at launch. I see that as a huge pull for MS as the gaming audience prepares itself for the next round of machine purchases.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
This one opinion piece is supposed to be enough to prove that the slight power difference between the Xbox One and PS4 is what made the PS4 sell more?

The conversations I heard in the real world about XBox One vs PS4 had everything to do with used games and DRM and never once did I hear anyone say "Resolutiongate" (nor was I even aware that this "gate" occured).

Neogaf/Resetera threads cannot be used as an accurate representation of the "common man".

I never watched those Digital Foundry videos, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the people watching those kinds of things are hardcore enthusiasts and their audience aren't nearly big enough to make the difference in the console marketplace.

Of course Sony are going to tout their console as more powerful. It's their job to market their product. My point is that talk of "power" is nothing more than empty marketing rhetoric.

The PS2 outsold the Xbox because of the very well regarded brand name, coming out first, and already having a large array of third party support built in the PS1 days. But the Xbox was "more powerful".

The Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 (in North America, at least) because it was significantly cheaper, had a much better online service, and had more or less the same third party games you could play elsewhere. But the PS3 was "more powerful"

The PS4 outsold the Xbox One because of MS' terrible DRM messaging and the PS4 being significantly cheaper. I guess this is the one time the "more powerful" console won.

The "weaker" console won 2/3 generations. That tells me what matters more than anything else is value and software. That would make sense because, again, the Playstation and Xbox are always equal machines with different branding.

The people that watch Digital Foundry are indeed the hardcore enthusiasts, and don't make up that large a portion of the overall market. It's very inaccurate to say that they aren't nearly big enough to make a difference in the console marketplace however. They are primarily the audience that gets a console to its first 10m unit sales, and the more casual audience that buys the console later both gets their recommendations from that "one hardcore enthusiast" friend, and will generally buy the console that most of the enthusiasts bought up to this point, in order to be able to play with them.

As for 2/3 generations you cited being won by the "weaker" console, you're painting a picture without context.

The 6th generation was already decided before the OG Xbox even hit the market. That generation had effectively started off globally in 1999 with the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is considered to have had possibly the most impressive first year lineup in console history, was dirt cheap right out of the gate and brought the initial promise of online gaming to the living room. It's momentum however was stopped dead when Sony showed a bunch of tech demos for the PS2 that looked drastically better what had been shown for the Dreamcast up to that point. On launch the PS2's software lineup was lackluster enough that The Matrix DVD movie was seen its legit killer app... but that didn't matter and it set sales records everywhere prior to the software eventually catching up.

The 7th gen is more of a Genesis/SNES situation than one console simply being superior to the other. The PS3 isn't simply "better" than than the Xbox 360, and more importantly when comparing software that exists across both platform, the PS3 was consistently coming off worse. People waving the PS3's supposed superiority could basically only cite a handful of exclusive 1st party offerings (Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, The Last of Us) which were being largely balanced by the graphical showcases the 360 itself had (Project Gotham 4, Halo 4, Gears of War 3, Forza Horizon), but then you had face-offs between the majority of multiplats reading similarly to how the XB1 did against the PS4 in such games. For all intents and purposes the 360 served that generation as the more powerful console of the two, despite being out the year before. It was absolutely not a good look for PlayStation that generation in terms of power. If the PS3 had been running those "same third party games you could play elsewhere" noticeably better, rather than the 360 doing that, the PS3 would have done way, way better in the 360's key markets.

So yes, power is important to a console's fate... it just won't magically erase all other market conditions like launching into a market where the opponent is already past the hardcore market sales and snowballing sales as the defacto console for the generation. And price also isn't a sure win, because when the PS2 hit you could have basically bought 2 Dreamcast for 1 PS2, but the PS2 slaughtered it effortlessly based primarily on promises of superior performance.

Nov 12, 2017
The people that watch Digital Foundry are indeed the hardcore enthusiasts, and don't make up that large a portion of the overall market. It's very inaccurate to say that they aren't nearly big enough to make a difference in the console marketplace however. They are primarily the audience that gets a console to its first 10m unit sales, and the more casual audience that buys the console later both gets their recommendations from that "one hardcore enthusiast" friend, and will generally buy the console that most of the enthusiasts bought up to this point, in order to be able to play with them.

As for 2/3 generations you cited being won by the "weaker" console, you're painting a picture without context.

The 6th generation was already decided before the OG Xbox even hit the market. That generation had effectively started off globally in 1999 with the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is considered to have had possibly the most impressive first year lineup in console history, was dirt cheap right out of the gate and brought the initial promise of online gaming to the living room. It's momentum however was stopped dead when Sony showed a bunch of tech demos for the PS2 that looked drastically better what had been shown for the Dreamcast up to that point. On launch the PS2's software lineup was lackluster enough that The Matrix DVD movie was seen its legit killer app... but that didn't matter and it set sales records everywhere prior to the software eventually catching up.

The 7th gen is more of a Genesis/SNES situation than one console simply being superior to the other. The PS3 isn't simply "better" than than the Xbox 360, and more importantly when comparing software that exists across both platform, the PS3 was consistently coming off worse. People waving the PS3's supposed superiority could basically only cite a handful of exclusive 1st party offerings (Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, The Last of Us) which were being largely balanced by the graphical showcases the 360 itself had (Project Gotham 4, Halo 4, Gears of War 3, Forza Horizon), but then you had face-offs between the majority of multiplats reading similarly to how the XB1 did against the PS4 in such games. For all intents and purposes the 360 served that generation as the more powerful console of the two, despite being out the year before. It was absolutely not a good look for PlayStation that generation in terms of power. If the PS3 had been running those "same third party games you could play elsewhere" noticeably better, rather than the 360 doing that, the PS3 would have done way, way better in the 360's key markets.

So yes, power is important to a console's fate... it just won't magically erase all other market conditions like launching into a market where the opponent is already past the hardcore market sales and snowballing sales as the defacto console for the generation. And price also isn't a sure win, because when the PS2 hit you could have basically bought 2 Dreamcast for 1 PS2, but the PS2 slaughtered it effortlessly based primarily on promises of superior performance.

exactly this....i think the "power dosnt matter" is more playing safe in case of a weaker console

I don't think anyone in this entire forum would deliberately ask for a less powerful console "because..who care... it doesn't matter"
and this is enough to make this position intrinsically fallacious

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
People really acting like console noise is some kind of a deal breaker lmao

that's because it is. got rid of my iMac years ago because it sounded like a helicopter was in my room, and that was after two fan replacements that Apple assured me would fix the problem.

if my system can't be reasonably quiet (according to the number of fans and other things going on, like overclocking), then it's a major deal breaker.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
The "power doesn't matter" crowd might have a stronger argument if we hadn't seen just about every major gaming forum flooded with threads about the PS4 version of a game being native 1080p while the Xbox One version would be upscale 1080p, 720p or whatever the resolution may be. Most of the gaming media published articles about these resolutions, comments on Digital Foundry videos would become console battlegrounds and even IGN had a wiki detailing the resolutions of third party PS4 and Xbox One games.

I personally do not care that much about resolution. I can barely tell the difference between native and upscaled images unless I practically hug my TV. It is just a little silly to see so much revisionism and flip-flopping in threads like these.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ironically my X is pretty loud and my Pro is pretty quiet.

Then again I play one much more than the other.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The "power doesn't matter" crowd might have a stronger argument if we hadn't seen just about every major gaming forum flooded with threads about the PS4 version of a game being native 1080p while the Xbox One version would be upscale 1080p, 720p or whatever the resolution may be.

I think most of the 'power doesn't matter' sentiment is based on an assumption that both a PS5 or (high-end) Xbox 2 will be 'powerful enough'.

Xbox One suffered because it was indeed not found to be 'powerful enough' to meet people's next gen expectations when you had games coming at 720p compared to the PS4's output.

That factor was amplified by the fact it cost $100 more.

If you had a situation next-gen where one console was not delivering on next-gen expectations AND was also more expensive, then indeed I expect power would 'matter' in the comparison between them, whether it was PS5 or Xbox 2 that ended up worse off in the comparison. But I think most don't expect that situation to happen again.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
The "power doesn't matter" crowd might have a stronger argument if we hadn't seen just about every major gaming forum flooded with threads about the PS4 version of a game being native 1080p while the Xbox One version would be upscale 1080p, 720p or whatever the resolution may be. Most of the gaming media published articles about these resolutions, comments on Digital Foundry videos would become console battlegrounds and even IGN had a wiki detailing the resolutions of third party PS4 and Xbox One games.

I personally do not care that much about resolution. I can barely tell the difference between native and upscaled images unless I practically hug my TV. It is just a little silly to see so much revisionism and flip-flopping in threads like these.

Because the console war shifts from front to front based on the preferred systems pros and cons.

If said person's preferred system is weaker, the argument is games are most important and power doesn't hold much weight (I.e. consumers don't care). If it's the stronger system, they argue that power matters most.

What we've seen time and again when launches are aligned, the most powerful system (perceived or no) typically wins the headlines with the hardcore fans and drives that system to future success.

I was a big X360 fan and even I chose PS4 at the start due to power/price, but mainly power. Weaker 3rd party performance and $100 more made no sense to me and I'd imagine most consumers felt the same. Has less to do with brand loyalty and leans more to common sense.

I don't think anyone would wager that MSFT will launch with a weaker console this generation relative to the PS5. Their focus has and will continue to be providing the optimal system on the high end for consumers.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can't say power isn't important but you gotta bring the games. MS did not have as great of a stable of first part exclusive as Sony, and the x1 had a rep for worse-running 3rd party ports. They can change things but they gotta throw some money around and acquire some more first part studios. Rare aint gonna cut it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the next Xbox released this year and was more powerful than the ps5. MS gotta know that a huge advantage the 360 had was releasing a full year a head of the PS3 and having a 10 million install base before it even launched.

My personal opinion is that MS can't compete in a direct battle. They either gotta release early or buy off major 3rd party games at the start. Doing both would be a guranteed win
I also think they need to launch earlier than PS5, probably a whole year. I vaguely remember reading that happened this gen (Sony going sooner) and MS had to sorta rush to launch with PS4. That would also explain some things. Will try to dig up where I read that, could have just been a post from an insider.

That would be more of an advantage vs. launching later just to have the edge in specs as an option. If Phil and Xbox folks in the know are so confident it will have the more powerful console.

Will be interesting to see once all the dust settles whats reality.
This one opinion piece is supposed to be enough to prove that the slight power difference between the Xbox One and PS4 is what made the PS4 sell more?

The conversations I heard in the real world about XBox One vs PS4 had everything to do with used games and DRM and never once did I hear anyone say "Resolutiongate" (nor was I even aware that this "gate" occured).

Neogaf/Resetera threads cannot be used as an accurate representation of the "common man".

I never watched those Digital Foundry videos, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the people watching those kinds of things are hardcore enthusiasts and their audience aren't nearly big enough to make the difference in the console marketplace.

Of course Sony are going to tout their console as more powerful. It's their job to market their product. My point is that talk of "power" is nothing more than empty marketing rhetoric.

The PS2 outsold the Xbox because of the very well regarded brand name, coming out first, and already having a large array of third party support built in the PS1 days. But the Xbox was "more powerful".

The Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 (in North America, at least) because it was significantly cheaper, had a much better online service, and had more or less the same third party games you could play elsewhere. But the PS3 was "more powerful"

The PS4 outsold the Xbox One because of MS' terrible DRM messaging and the PS4 being significantly cheaper. I guess this is the one time the "more powerful" console won.

The "weaker" console won 2/3 generations. That tells me what matters more than anything else is value and software. That would make sense because, again, the Playstation and Xbox are always equal machines with different branding.
I agree.

The main social media news to start the gen was DRM and used games. The rest came after the fact.

I will say I did hear kids talking about the XBO being weaker.

Even after that, price cuts and the One X didn't help sales to the extent that shows power matters.

I can bet compelling exclusives would have tho. A real, legit reason to have to buy a One S, X. That and price. Not power.

Can we really keep saying power matters when the One X exists?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
you can't say power isn't important but you gotta bring the games. MS did not have as great of a stable of first part exclusive as Sony, and the x1 had a rep for worse-running 3rd party ports. They can change things but they gotta throw some money around and acquire some more first part studios. Rare aint gonna cut it.

They have a lot of studios now with more coming.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't get all the posts like these. Have some of you been living under a rock? MS has been throwing money around and investing in first party by acquiring new studios and expanding their existing studios.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get all the posts like these. Have some of you been living under a rock? MS has been throwing money around and investing in first party by acquiring new studios and expanding their existing studios.

well maybe you're right. I guess my perception is that they're still lacking because the games aren't there yet.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
exactly this....i think the "power dosnt matter" is more playing safe in case of a weaker console

I don't think anyone in this entire forum would deliberately ask for a less powerful console "because..who care... it doesn't matter"
and this is enough to make this position intrinsically fallacious
But you and others are ignoring the fact that for this gen, at the start one ran games at 1080 and the other at 900 (or 720 in some cases). If the next gen brings games on both systems than can do 4k 60 without issues (as in stable all around or if both opt for 4k 30), the power argument of which is better does get thrown out the window. The only time the power issue will be a thing is if one can't do what the other can

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ironically my X is pretty loud and my Pro is pretty quiet.

Then again I play one much more than the other.

That seems odd. You may want to consider getting a replacement for your X, especially if it's still under warranty. If you live somewhat close to a MS Store, you should take it there, I've heard multiple stories of people taking their X's or S's there and getting replacements given to them on the spot, even when they were out of warranty.

I got my X on day-1 and it gets a daily workout. It's whisper quiet 90% of the time. There are times during demanding parts of games or when I'm 4-5 hours into a long gaming session when I can hear the whirring sound of the vapor-chamber cooling system, but even then it's very quiet.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That seems odd. You may want to consider getting a replacement for your X, especially if it's still under warranty. If you live somewhat close to a MS Store, you should take it there, I've heard multiple stories of people taking their X's or S's there and getting replacements given to them on the spot, even when they were out of warranty.

I got my X on day-1 and it gets a daily workout. It's whisper quiet 90% of the time. There are times during demanding parts of games or when I'm 4-5 hours into a long gaming session when I can hear the whirring sound of the vapor-chamber cooling system, but even then it's very quiet.
I have a second Scorpio edition NIB incase this one dies. Until then, it's not a big deal for me.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People on the wrong side of history will think that MS will sell more consoles than Sony if they don't make any stupid mistakes. The truth is when games are shown things arrangements like power are thrown out of the window for most people.

Nov 12, 2017
But you and others are ignoring the fact that for this gen, at the start one ran games at 1080 and the other at 900 (or 720 in some cases). If the next gen brings games on both systems than can do 4k 60 without issues (as in stable all around or if both opt for 4k 30), the power argument of which is better does get thrown out the window. The only time the power issue will be a thing is if one can't do what the other can
Meanwhile we will notice less with first party a less powerful console will always do less ..especially with multiplats games (if not forced parity happen)..it happened with the OG XBO vs the PS4 again with the XBX vs the PRO and will happen again with the PS5 vs the XB2

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
People on the wrong side of history will think that MS will sell more consoles than Sony if they don't make any stupid mistakes. The truth is when games are shown things arrangements like power are thrown out of the window for most people.

This.

90% of my friends don't even have a Pro... they bought the PS4 for exclusives and to be able to play FIFA and COD with friends

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Until people see the fruits of these acquisitions, they're probably going to be a bit restrained in their excitement. I only own a one X rather than a PS4 atm, but when it comes to the games front, I don't have much faith in MS' first party other than playground. Most of this gen, I feel like I've been told "wait, you'll see" and now it looks like we'll be waiting until next gen. That poster should have known they bought up all those studios though. In any case, just going to wait and hope to be surprised.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Until people see the fruits of these acquisitions, they're probably going to be a bit restrained in their excitement. I only own a one X rather than a PS4 atm, but when it comes to the games front, I don't have much faith in MS' first party other than playground. Most of this gen, I feel like I've been told "wait, you'll see" and now it looks like we'll be waiting until next gen. That poster should have known they bought up all those studios though. In any case, just going to wait and hope to be surprised.
There's a difference between being restrained and completely ignoring the investment being put into their first party, which a lot of people have been doing. Games are going to come from all of these studios, and now that MS has a healthy first party, their studios will hopefully have the time and resources needed to make great games.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
A console with more TF will have very likely better performance in games ...sometime will be textures ..sometime effects sometime resolution sometime just "grass" etc etc
Sorry my English continue to be shitty ))

Textures is memory. Grass, sure. I still remember the Mafia 2 grass-gate. Was a huge deal, that didn't matter in the end. Same with the Pro/X, as long as its ballpark the same. It used to matter with 720p/1080p. But with both going for 4k, i don't see a 1 or 2TF difference matter that much. I have a Pro and not an X, and its fine. Ok the one is native, the other is checkerboard, its still fine.

Its fine.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's a difference between being restrained and completely ignoring the investment being put into their first party, which a lot of people have been doing. Games are going to come from all of these studios, and now that MS has a healthy first party, their studios will hopefully have the time and resources needed to make great games.
The excuse of 'Microsoft is investing in games, wait and see what comes' has LITERALLY been used since half way through the 360 gen.

People have waited for like a decade already for Microsoft to come out with something comparable to Sony or Nintendo and so far they have failed miserably.

Does that mean things cant change? No, but to act like we haven't been hearing this excuse for a gen and a half already is ignoring reality and the reason why many people don't have any faith in things changing.

Oct 26, 2017
The excuse of 'Microsoft is investing in games, wait and see what comes' has LITERALLY been used since half way through the 360 gen.

People have waited for like a decade already for Microsoft to come out with something comparable to Sony or Nintendo and so far they have failed miserably.

Does that mean things cant change? No, but to act like we haven't been hearing this excuse for a gen and a half already is ignoring reality and the reason why many people don't have any faith in things changing.

? They just bought like six studios and games take 5-6 years to make.

We'll see in 2023 whether or not things have turned around or not.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

The people who don't see that things have been and are changing are the ones ignoring reality.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

Except this time they have actually bought studios. They now either have around the same or more 1P studios than Sony, and insiders have said that MS plans on buying more. They're all in on Xbox for the first time since the early 360 days. Are their studios quality wise up there with Sony? Not yet but they have studios with the potential such as Ninja Theory and Obsidian. They're building a new studio with the Initiative.

People trying to pull the "MS is all talk" bullshit are bluntly either morons, company warriors, or delusional. It might all end in failure but right now they are doing what people have said MS needed to do: Build up their 1P studios.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

This "BUT EXCLUSIVES" argument is getting tiresome.

Did you see the list of most played games last 10 years or so (look on Era), there were almost no exclusives on that list.

All 3 consoles have shitloads of games to play, you would have to be some kind of freak to run out of great games. It is all about services, quality of life and hardware and MS has been MUCH better than Sony this gen IMHO. If they continue like they are doing now, they will have a great next gen and any purchaser of their system will be quite happy.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Warned - System Warring
? They just bought like six studios and games take 5-6 years to make.

We'll see in 2023 whether or not things have turned around or not.
The people who don't see that things have been and are changing are the ones ignoring reality.
As I said, they have invested before and what did we get? Halo and gears getting diminishing returns, sea of thieves adding to the 'release with no content and spending years adding more' group, crackdown 3 and one truly successful franchise in forza.

Is adding more devs a good thing? Of course, but people defending Microsoft with the excuse of 'they are investing in games' are ignoring that this has happened before and in the grand scheme of things nothing has changed since they still have the image of having no great exclusives and sold half as many consoles as last gen and o ly managing that by essentially having their console on sale or bundled heavily for 90% of its life.

Again, I'm pleased they are investing more in games but even in the best case scenario they do bring out a tonne of high quality and greatly received games in 4-5 years, can you blame people for not having faith NOW since they would have spent 15 years being known as the company with no great exclusives other than forza?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
As I said, they have invested before and what did we get? Halo and gears getting diminishing returns, sea of thieves adding to the 'release with no content and spending years adding more' group, crackdown 3 and one truly successful franchise in forza.

Is adding more devs a good thing? Of course, but people defending Microsoft with the excuse of 'they are investing in games' are ignoring that this has happened before and in the grand scheme of things nothing has changed since they still have the image of having no great exclusives and sold half as many consoles as last gen and o ly managing that by essentially having their console on sale or bundled heavily for 90% of its life.

Again, I'm pleased they are investing more in games but even in the best case scenario they do bring out a tonne of high quality and greatly received games in 4-5 years, can you blame people for not having faith NOW since they would have spent 15 years being known as the company with no great exclusives other than forza?
It's just pure ignorance. You don't have to wait 4-5 years for great exclusives, you're going to get them this year.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
Europe

I don't even know why I bothered to reply to you. Case closed.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
can you blame people for not having faith NOW since they would have spent 15 years being known as the company with no great exclusives other than forza?
Sure...since Microsoft seems to be reshaping the playing field for next gen and Sony just seems to be status quo. Nothing wrong with just putting out a traditional beefy console of course but Microsoft right now has the people's attention more often since last E3.

Besides everyone love an Underdog. People went from openly shitting on Xbox, to being excited by what they do next. After 6 years of jokes, media is finally taking them serious again and I think some people are just not use to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.