• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
We have no way of knowing if they can or can't.
To be fair - there's no historical precedent for simultaneous launch hardware to be significantly apart at the same target price point.
MS only has one example of noticeably outperforming competition launching at the same time, and that required a 30% higher MSRP and incurring massive losses on hardware(which competitor didn't) for the entire generation.
1X, which people use as the 'gold standard' didn't even get close to that - performance increase was significantly less, it still had a similar price increase and it was on the market a full year later.

Of course now someone will come and say precedents get broken all the time - but that kind of hand waving can go both ways with the lack of info we have at the moment.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Well that is cool and all.... but that hasn't happened in their worst generation to date. Why was the X so premium priced if they wanted to 'beat down the competition'? Why wasn't it prices like the Pro? Why is the Xbox One All Digital priced so high? If they didn't burn money to beat down the competition this gen they sure as hell aint going to do it In the next.

I'm not gonna claim that they'll be looking to sell consoles at a huge loss, but there's a clear difference between making such a play at the start of a generation, especially one you know going into that your competition has all the momentum... and making the same play in an environment where having the cheaper console will clearly not make any significant difference to the landscape. The X and S were about correcting Xbox's hardware image. By the time they were released nobody at MS would have had any delusions that they would be able to notably change the course of the generation, that ship had long sailed. That wouldn't necessarily be the case at the start of a new console cycle, and may well even be seen as a necessary concession to overcome the natural advantages the competitors otherwise near identical offering will be.

I don't get why everyone always speaks on this topic as though everything is completely black-and-white, and as those mid-generation refreshes (or even just redesigns) are at all comparable to the launch of a new generation.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not sure which console will be more powerful, but I do believe it when MS say they want to be the most powerful.

I just hope they know that losing the sales war wasn't just about power. It was a combination of power, price, and the backlash of the always online nonsense that allowed Sony to take this gen basically for free.

I do think that they had to have learned a lot though. Over the course of this gen they made a lot of moves to course correct and regain goodwill with people. They've had a strong push for backwards compatibility, ditched Kinect to bring the price down to a more reasonable level, introduced an amazing game pass, and are looking to solve the " no games" issue with new development teams. It took years to shake the " always online, can't share games, tv tv tv" stigma off (even though that was squashed before launch), but they are in a much better place now to come out swinging I think.

Me personally, I'll probably end up with both consoles like I do every gen, but it'll be interesting too see both companies approaches this time around.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
AMD can't give any details or hints about what Sony is doing, it's called confidentiality and if by any change AMD breaks that, not only will they lose all credibility in their business, they will also lose millions of dollars in lawsuits from Sony and god knows what else. You're nuts if you think AMD is going to give MS a better product just by MS asking "hey can you give us better than Sony is doing?" in order for fanboys to be pleased.

And btw that Brad Sams guy proves video after video that he's knows nothing concrete about what's going on. His wording is always the same: "Microsoft aims to have the most powerful console", "I can almost guarantee that MS could ask AMD for...", "I bet that...", "both consoles will be very similar, the war will be on games and services", bla bla.
They can easily put the offer in to pay more than the competition in exchange for a better product. Doesnt mean they know any details of what Sony are doing and no confidentiality is broken. Just them paying more for a superior product

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Microsoft can have an aim, that in the end turns out to be financially unfeasible.

People need to consider that as a very possible outcome.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love all these "brand power" posts. It's like some of you were born when the PS4 released and don't remember last gen, where the consoles were basically neck and neck. Sony didn't double up on Microsoft at the beginning of this gen because of fucking brand power...lol.

It's also hilariously obtuse to use the X to prove that power doesn't matter. The thing didn't even release until the dust had already settled and people were firmly entrenched into their chosen ecosystem. If the X had been the lauch console you can bet your ass things would have been extremely different.

Anyway, believe what you will, but mulitplats sell consoles every bit as much as exclusives, or more, and having better versions of those will give either company a huge leg up.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I doubt it. The PS4 was stronger than the Xbox one, they claimed that the cloud made way more powerful.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS does not want to make the same mistake again and I am sure they will pull all the stops to have more powerful hardware.
But of course even more important will be getting their first party stable of studios to produce extremely high quality games.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's an opinion you're free to have but it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

At the launch of a console cycle it absolutely does matter. You claiming it doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things is not really true.

If the xbox and playstation launch in the same year and is more is less the same price. If the xbox is stronger, you can bet it will have an impact.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Love all these "brand power" posts. It's like some of you were born when the PS4 released and don't remember last gen, where the consoles were basically neck and neck. Sony didn't double up on Microsoft at the beginning of this gen because of fucking brand power...lol.

It's also hilariously obtuse to use the X to prove that power doesn't matter. The thing didn't even release until the dust had already settled and people were firmly entrenched into their chosen ecosystem. If the X had been the lauch console you can bet your ass things would have been extremely different.

Anyway, believe what you will, but mulitplats sell consoles every bit as much as exclusives, or more, and having better versions of those will give either company a huge leg up.
Nobody will jump ship abandoning their library..... With backwards compatible the huge majority of Ps4 owners will just upgrade. The US will be neck and neck, but rest of the world will continue Sony dominance. However Microsoft comes in a very healthy and ambitious position through their Windows and XCloud integration focusing in MAU.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
they were neck and neck because the 360 launched a year earlier, $100 cheaper, had better 3rd party performance, a huge hit with kinect and Sony doing everything wrong and even then then they only managed a tie.

i'm not betting on either of these happening again.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
They can easily put the offer in to pay more than the competition in exchange for a better product. Doesnt mean they know any details of what Sony are doing and no confidentiality is broken. Just them paying more for a superior product
AMD would literally have to break confidentiality, if they were to sign a contract with Microsoft saying that they will promise to build something superior to what is in Sony's contract.

How do you figure they price out the BOM for Microsoft? How do they inform but not inform Microsoft if Sony alters their specs?

This line of thinking is madness. They can't just wink wink and accidentally build them specs based off of what Sony is getting.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 so why did the PS2 sell about 125 million more consoles?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

PS3 launch aligned always sold more than 360. And was a $599 machine. Says alot.

Nov 12, 2017
People are realizing that the hardware sales war is basically over? This gen will be all about services and subscriptions ..and I think it will be the game changer

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I think the original Xbox one was a perfect storm of bad ideas - underpowered next to ps4 yet more expensive, kinect, online fiasco etc., it wasn't just any one singular thing. making the next console powerful is vital, as is having a reasonable price point which I guess is the point of lockheart.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody will jump ship abandoning their library..... With backwards compatible the huge majority of Ps4 owners will just upgrade. The US will be neck and neck, but rest of the world will continue Sony dominance. However Microsoft comes in a very healthy and ambitious position through their Windows and XCloud integration focusing in MAU.

It's funny how we went from BC not mattering to it deciding a whole generation before it's even started. BC is great for people like me who holds on to all their games and frequently goes back to older ones, but there are a lot of people who only play games that have yearly updates (Madden, CoD, AssCredd etc.) I don't think BC is going to be deciding anything.

The original Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 so why did the PS2 sell about 125 million more consoles?

Because the PS was a household name and the Xbox wasn't and it came out a year later.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

That is a rather silly. Under no scenario could the Xbone X have released earlier. It is far from a miricle product. It was released a year after the Pro at a $100 more expensive. Releasing at the same time next year will be a differen proposition.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Brand power is the exact reason why in Gen 7, despite a disastrous launch and Xbox 360 coming out swinging, the PS3 was able to stay neck and neck with the system.

If you think that PlayStation's brand power isn't a key part of its success then you're living in lala land. While I obviously can't speak to how well either console will do next gen, just thought I'd chime in. You don't get where Sony is on hardware and software alone.

Joo

May 25, 2018

Nda's aren't drafted like this. The baseline is always not to disclose any knowledge or information outlined in the agreement, which most certainly prohibits any guesswork or disclosing any monetary amounts. You're basically suggesting that there's a glaring loophole and anyone could just ask what Sony is getting by starting a bidding competition on supposedly confidential knowledge.

This is very basic legal stuff and an nda only works if the situation appears as unchanged to third parties whether there is a contract it's referring to or not.

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, the guys making out brand has nothing to do with it.

It's not just about the brand name however, although that is also a significant factor.

PS2 outsold the stronger competition largely because it had effectively won the generation before either of them even launched. PS2 wasn't the "weak machine" when it launched and broke sales records... it was the hilariously powerful machine that torpedoed the Dreamcast's momentum with mere demos and spec suggestions. If OG Xbox lost due to lack of brand strength, it would have also lost to the Gamecube due to Nintendo's established place in the market and perceived software quality.

The power narrative that put the Dreamcast to bed almost worked against the 360 as well, where the console was being derided as Xbox 1.5 for the longest time, before it became clear that all the PS3 demos were smoke and mirrors and not actually reflective of what the console was capable of. If it actually were capable of the initial hype it was building, the 360 would have been fucked upon its release, headstart or no.

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
I said not sure. I think Xbox is more likely to be more powerful, but all I want is an interface that isn't ungodly sluggish and good exclusives after all those aquisitions. Originally, I was just gonna get the exclusives on Windows 10, but seeing as the PS5 alone is supposedly more powerful than my PC, I might just use my Vega 56/Ryzen 1700 based PC for massively multiplayer and certain indie stuff and get the console.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
AMD would literally have to break confidentiality, if they were to sign a contract with Microsoft saying that they will promise to build something superior to what is in Sony's contract.

How do you figure they price out the BOM for Microsoft? How do they inform but not inform Microsoft if Sony alters their specs?

This line of thinking is madness. They can't just wink wink and accidentally build them specs based off of what Sony is getting.

This is my new favorite thing with this new wave of fanboy warring this new generation kicked off. You got people coming up with all sorts of scenarios in their heads about how AMD will risk getting sued into oblivion, destroy their credibility, and lose tons of business (who would want to contract with AMD when they showed they can't maintain confidentiality with sensitive information?) from other clients just to give MS or Sony a slight edge power-wise for their game console.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
The rise of PC as a really serious mass market platform for AAA gaming, and Microsoft having a new respect and commitment to it makes for a considerable overlap for people who care heavily about performance and having the 'best'.

I've got a taco bell X, but use it as a Blu-ray player. Games like AC Odyssey running at 4k/30 medium are not very impressive to me, and I don't even have a bleeding edge PC. With 5.2 8086k, 32GB DDR4-4000, and a 1080ti Aorus, I can run 3440x1440 Ultrawide at 100+FPS in Gsync, and the experience is generationally superior. I still play PS exclusives on my Slim, as I don't mind a well paced 30fps game as long as the input lag isn't screwed. Seems like most 1st party is pretty good in this area, God of War, Uncharted, HZD all 'feel' smooth enough and consistent. However, many multiplats just feel terrible on PS4/X1X due to dips under 30fps, bad input lag, etc. If Sony 1st party was available on PC, I'd definitely buy it there, but have no problem with it on PS4.

By the time 9th gen consoles are out in late 2020, the RTX refresh and Navi DGPUs will be available, so the high end gamers will probably be split between those that don't care about PC and those that want as few compromises as possible. The PS5 and $400 Xbox should be safe from this idea, but the market for a $600 console may be muted, as a certain number of those people will just overlap with budgets big enough to go bigger/better.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
God, these threads really bring out the worst in people.
PS3 launch aligned always sold more than 360. And was a $599 machine. Says alot.

That's a pretty simplistic analysis. PS3 was following on the heels of the PS2 juggernaut, Xbox was just barely trying to escape the "halo player" stereotype. The fact that the 360 was neck and neck with the PS3 was quite a feat, given the circumstances.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
  • Sony is already trying to spin the narrative by announcing that their next console is 8k capable without proper conext like primarily being for video playback - which we're all aware of

I disagree. People don't abandon their consoles. Lots of people keep the old console and the get a new console be it Xbox or PS. There are very little differences between the 2 systems. But its fair to conclude that Sony will dominate traditional consoles, whereas Microsoft will dominate in everything else. Sony historically struggles with working with other partners, something Microsoft does very well with.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
There are two different rumors going around, which set Anaconda at the same price and a hundred more. If the PS5 ends up costing 500€, like some suggest, would XB4 cost 600€ like the PS3? Let alone offer XBX-like expensive cooling solution, if their similarly priced competition goes with a cheaper method? That was my main argument, when some people expected both more powerful and quiet system during the same launch window. It just seems like an unrealistic expectation to me.
I suppose the idea is that they expect Microsoft to sell at a loss to build market-share. I doubt they'd do that. Or that they get better prices than Sony, which is weird. I agree that it'll be hard to beat PS5 at the same pricepoint. They may prioritise differently, say if Xbox doesn't go with a fancy-pants storage solution they can spend more on processing. But would they? Time will tell.

Then it'll cost more than 499
If that's what the PS5 will be priced, then yes. I could see them go all the way up to 599 if Lockheart is a good enough offering. I assume the whole point of doing two SKU's is to build a halo-product. And I don't mean the video-game franchise.

If MS is at all serious about an elite sku, don't make it a penny less than $699. Put actual components in there worthy of that price tag & "elite status." Your diehards will save up for it & buy it eventually or get the cheaper $299 sku available at launch. But I gotta say, I really don't want them to drop the console baseline too much again next gen. Make the base sku at least decent & not total shite because I want better quality 3rd party games next gen, thanks.
I'd say 599 USD is probably the roof. With Lockheart at 399. All guesswork though.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
They are for sure gonna have an expensive powerful console and a cheap console.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
God, these threads really bring out the worst in people.

That's a pretty simplistic analysis. PS3 was following on the heels of the PS2 juggernaut, Xbox was just barely trying to escape the "halo player" stereotype. The fact that the 360 was neck and neck with the PS3 was quite a feat, given the circumstances.
Yeah, and those 80 million PS3 sold surely weren't at 600. People love to make it sound like Sony never changed price or models when had they not reacted, they'd have never caught up.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

Time and time again, Era conveniently forgets this or are too caught up with the brand religion they follow to perceive the reality of the video game industry.

This generation changed everything for everyone. Forever.

Network Services dwarfed the revenue income of hardware and peripherals combined last fiscal year and are on a huge rise. Game libraries have become a far more deciding factor on where the masses will go compared to the "most powerful console in the world" marketing tactic.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I suppose the idea is that they expect Microsoft to sell at a loss to build market-share. I doubt they'd do that. Or that they get better prices than Sony, which is weird. I agree that it'll be hard to beat PS5 at the same pricepoint. They may prioritise differently, say if Xbox doesn't go with a fancy-pants storage solution they can spend more on processing. But would they? Time will tell.

One interesting aspect is that MS will no doubt be dual purposing these boards to put on their server racks. There's an unknown yet totally plausible scenario where MS might offset some of the consumer cost with revenue they get from their server business from these boards. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.