• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
You're ignoring the fact that last gen was a one v one comparison.
We know that MS are going to be releasing multiple SKU's off the bat, Sony (currently) are not.

MS have said Anaconda will be a premium device.

All this rumour seems to indicate is that the base Xbox will be operating in the PS5 sphere of capabilities and Anaconda above that.
MS has not even confirmed the existence of Anaconda. Insiders have leaked that information to us about what MS AIMS it to be.
And no, Phil Spencer saying they will set the benchmark for console gaming, does not indicate Anaconda will be more powerful than PS5. We only hear rumors that they are aiming to.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they are targeting it, but there is no way to know for sure until we see the definitive specs on both of these systems. Even sony can still change things around

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not saying it's impossible, but we get this every generation. Last-gen it was the same song and dance as well, and look how that turned out.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think for as long as Nadella is CEO of MS and Spencer is lead of Xbox, Xbox consoles will always have the best specs going forward. I don't think they liked all those 900p jokes and the fact that they released a weaker console than their competitor and charged $100 more for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Really really sounds like these next-gen consoles are gonna be PS3/360 launch levels of expensive. This sounds pretty necessary though because without the huge leap from even the PS4Pro and XB1X, there really isn't any point to a new generation of consoles.

I also suspect a long period of cross-gen titles too…

If true we are getting into me building a new PC territory. 500 is my limit unless there is a killer app.
$600 minimum if Sony and Microsoft plan on going through with these kind of specs, I honestly don't see anything less than that if these consoles come out next year

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What consoles have the same exact games library to begin with (beside slims/Pros)? Most gens the weaker system has won, usually comfortably, if power was so important that wouldn't be the case. Price, power, release, features (though at this point I don't think that's super important, as they usually share most if not all at this point) and games are all important, but not all individually. The best combination of these, matters more than just the best of 1 or 2.

I just asked if there were examples where power was the isolated factor here. That's all. Can you think of any?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I completely missed that.

All I'm saying is that it's possible ms could take a larger loss per console in order to have a more powerful console at the same price as the ps5. Ms has shown they can take a +$100 loss per console and can lose billions per year. Could Sony lose billions and still be ok? I don't think so.

You do know that Sony lost billions on PS3 when they were selling it at lost of over $300.
Of course i don't ever expect them to do that again .
The same way how i don't expect MS to lose billions like when they first enter the market .
Either way both of these companies can take a lost if they need to but it won't be to big and that is for certain .

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good question, we currently have no performance numbers and can't really say how well it's going to run. Unless Intel and AMD start to push out some heavy hitters in the GPU segment, it's not going to be cheap.

Regarding the CPU: it depends on the workload and I'm sure there are scenarios where we can see some Intel outperforming it by 100%, but I don't think that's currently feasible in a broder sense. The IPC gain would have to be massive, even with a 5.xGhz clock. That's just unrealistic. Even now AMD caught up quite well with the Zen+ and usually only 4.xGhz and I fully expect Zen 2 to outperform it.

Interesting. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Thanks Fafalada and IIFloodyII too.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Sony's R&D are on another league. if both companies aiming for same price, there is no way for MS to launch a more advanced ala powerful console than PS5 unles they take signaficant loss per console :)
I won't knock Sony's R&D and engineers as they are no light weights but MS has made the better console (in terms of engineering) for a while now. I honestly believe that neither of them can do much more than the other in terms of price. If MS is making the more powerful console it will be more expensive or sold at a loss.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I just asked if there were examples where power was the isolated factor here. That's all. Can you think of any?
I don't think there's ever just 1 factor for that stuff, certainly not between different platforms and I'm not going to use hardware revisions to prove, because that's kind of a different situation. I do think price to performance is far more important than just performance. You can blow the competition away with power, but if it at a massive cost, you'll probably get comfortably outsold in the end, as we've seen pretty much every gen.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
How would Microsoft even be able to confidently believe that at this point, when final clock speeds and RAM amounts and all that for the PS5 aren't even settled yet, unless they've straight up decided to wait for whatever Sony announces, and then stick in one extra processor core and one extra stick of RAM on top of that.

You can bet that MS and Sony knows exactly what the other one is brewing

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do know that Sony lost billions on PS3 when they were selling it at lost of over $300.
Of course i don't ever expect them to do that again .
The same way how i don't expect MS to lose billions like when they first enter the market .
Either way both of these companies can take a lost if they need to but it won't be to big and that is for certain .

Lol, I'm not sure why my post offended so many. "No, Sony can take a bigger loss so there!"

Is Sony willing to a larger loss for the Playstation division than Microsoft is from the Xbox division? I don't think so. You and others might think differently and that's ok.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I'm sorry but what? Sony r&d is on another lower level if that's what you meant.
I won't knock Sony's R&D and engineers as they are no light weights but MS has made the better console (in terms of engineering) for a while now. I honestly believe that neither of them can do much more than the other in terms of price. If MS is making the more powerful console it will be more expensive or sold at a loss.
Which console are you talking about?! One x came a year after with $100 more price than PS4pro. if you wanna compare both companies in terms of R&D enginieering ability you've to compare them in the fair/same situation which is PS4 and XB1 situation for sure. They both came in the same time frame and PS4 was significantly more powerfull, smaller without PB and One hundred dollars cheaper! This is what i'm talking about!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If Sony decides to do a single sku at $500, I'm not really sure there will be a lot of room to improve.

Regardless, I wont pass judgment on who's got better hardware until DF gets their hands on them

The $400-$600 range is still what id call on the linear return part of the curve. Increased MSRP will result in direct and tangible gains. The difference between a $100 and a $200 APU is something with a GPU on the order of 2x more powerful.

See below.

Well, "all in their power" is probably overstating it, as they could certainly go overboard and end up hurting more than helping.

But everything they can to try to come out on top while keeping the price (and their own losses) in check? Yeah, that's exactly what they are doing.

Which wasn't really the design philosophy of the XBO.
It's the only way to guarantee it has more robust hardware in a similar time frame.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Which console are you talking about?! One x came a year after with $100 more price than PS4pro. if you wanna compare both companies in terms of R&D enginieering ability you've to compare them in the fair/same situation which is PS4 and XB1 situation for sure. They both came in the same time frame and PS4 was significantly more powerfull, smaller without PB and One hundred dollars cheaper! This is what i'm talking about!
True but there is a clear reason for that. They bundled it with the ill fated kinect if IIRC. I'm talking about 2 consoles with the same direction. Without the kinect the xbox one would have been cheaper than the ps4 for sure considering the power difference.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Lol, I'm not sure why my post offended so many. "No, Sony can take a bigger loss so there!"

Is Sony willing to a larger loss for the Playstation division than Microsoft is from the Xbox division? I don't think so. You and others might think differently and that's ok.

I thought consoles were no longer sold as loss leaders?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Thing is they already did with PS3 that is point.
Either way neither company is going to take to big a lost so it don't really matter .
These companies are not going to one up each other to lose money on consoles .
For MS it make even less sense to take a huge lost since they going with 2 models .

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
True but there is a clear reason for that. They bundled it with the ill fated kinect if IIRC. I'm talking about 2 consoles with the same direction. Without the kinect the xbox one would have been cheaper than the ps4 for sure considering the power difference.
It wouldn't have been. The XBO was poorly engineered and had a larger APU chip than the ps4 despite being less powerful. Without the Kinect, it would have likely been the same price as PS4. Less expensive RAM but more expensive APU

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Open up a one x, then open up a pro. They are in a different place now.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Brad Sams initially shared the "Xbox will be more powerful" narrative because that's what he heard despite him being an Xbox insider and obviously knowing nothing about Sony insider information. He literally said that Sony isn't at E3 "because they have nothing to talk about" despite them clearly having a lot of things to announce in general whether it's games or hardware. So he clearly doesn't know about Sony or their final targets. Nothing. Phil Spencer made the claim a while ago, and he also cannot know what's happening inside of Sony when it comes to the PS5 specs. An impossible narrative is being formed and I'm not sure how it's actually being taken seriously.

What I think we should focus on is that most will end up exactly the same outside of certain customisations by Sony and Microsoft respectively

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
It wouldn't have been. The XBO was poorly engineered and had a larger APU chip than the ps4 despite being less powerful. Without the Kinect, it would have likely been the same price as PS4. Less expensive RAM but more expensive APU
I serously doubt that. Not that is was poorly engineered (I don't know enough about that to really comment) but kinect by it self was an expensive peice of tech at the time.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018

I own both consoles & the PS4 is also much hotter and louder than OG Xbox. Hardware design wise, Both Xboxes are ahead of the respective PS4s. The kinect was a terrible mistake that added to the cost, and that was probably the biggest factor why PS4 jumped ahead so early. I'd expect the Anaconda or whatever its called to slightly edge out the PS5, Microsoft likes to campaign on more powerful hardware, at least recently. I do hope they have a better cooling system in the PS5 than the 4 or pro had. I am ok with a larger console as long as its not super loud.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Without the kinect the xbox one have been in the same price as PS4 for around 5-6 years mate.

And one thing you've to consider right now, if MS wants to release a cheaper SKU with 4-5tflops raw power their fp developers should've develop their games for 4tf base of power which its gonna makes a huge difference than sony's FPs to make their games for a base power around 10-12tflops! it doesn't matter if Anaconda will be 20tflops or whatever, this console have to run games based on 4tflops machine!
Open up a one x, then open up a pro. They are in a different place now.
Open up a PS4, then open up a X1, Open up a PS3, then open up a X360, Open up a PS2, then open up a XBOX, They always have been in a different places :)!

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Odd that the poll lacks the one option that probably the correct one: They will end up being similarly powered by using similar parts from AMD. My guess there will be minimal differences this time around unless MS either holds off for Zen3 or dumps more RAM into their system to help boost Navi.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I thought consoles were no longer sold as loss leaders?

In the case of the PS4 at least, nope: "PS4 to be sold at a loss but launch day recoup expected from PS Plus subs and launch titles"

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...d-from-ps-plus-subs-and-launch-titles-2905846

Sony is likely willing to take a larger initial loss compared to PS4 given how much money they're making off PSN currently to ensure they are at least close to Anaconda if it is indeed a more "powerful" console to protect their cash cow.

MS could certainly be willing to take a larger hit on their top tier system; it would really need to be a corporate wide initiative than just XBOX.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
PS5 specs already look really strong, so unless MS want to push something really expensive on day one, I don't think there will be much between them and even if the Xbox turns out to be more powerful, it probably won't be by much.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
i dont get it. thought sony only announce core count, zen2 and not speed in hz. how does ms insider know for sure its faster??

we know more cores doesnt exactly mean more hz so... where is this faster coming from in spec wise?

also wasnt durente back then was rumor to be faster than ps4dev back then too?

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS will bullshit some facts about the power of the cloud to say theirs performs better yadda yadda yadda

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How would Microsoft justify significant losses on hardware when we know their long-term strategy is to be platform agnostic anyway? Doesn't really make much sense.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I won't knock Sony's R&D and engineers as they are no light weights but MS has made the better console (in terms of engineering) for a while now.

Which consoles are you talking about? PS4 was better engineered than Xbox One at launch, not only it was smaller, it had the "power brick" inside the box, it was more powerful and had a better RAM setup.

The only MS console that is better than any sony console is Xbox One X, mostly due to being a premium console and coming out one year later.
PS4 PRO was also clearly rushed job to get a one year advantage over whatever MS was doing.

Oct 30, 2017
Ahhh the smell of console wars first thing in the morning. All the salt, speculation, flag waving, armchair engineers and developers makes it a fun read. The next year is going to be brutal in the threads.

These are exciting times. The lead up to a new gen is always fun. Can't wait until the news starts rolling.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
If they are launching two consoles, is there any point on making both consoles weaker than the PS5? It seems they will try to force Sony into the middle position.

Lockhart - Cheaper and weaker.
PS5 - Middle ground.
Anaconda - Powerful and expensive.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Without the kinect the xbox one have been in the same price as PS4 for around 5-6 years mate.

And one thing you've to consider right now, if MS wants to release a cheaper SKU with 4-5tflops raw power their fp developers should've develop their games for 4tf base of power which its gonna makes a huge difference than sony's FPs to make their games for a base power around 10-12tflops! it doesn't matter if Anaconda will be 20tflops or whatever, this console have to run games based on 4tflops machine!

Open up a PS4, then open up a X1, Open up a PS3, then open up a X360, Open up a PS2, then open up a XBOX, They always have been in a different places :)!
I think the point he's trying to make is that MS has gone a long way since the original Xbox arguing that they've surpassed sony in terms of engineering.

To your first point. I never agreed with people when they argue this. Consoles are getting closer and closer to PCs and they've never had issues catering to lower end machines (at least on it affecting how beautiful the game looks at the higher end of the spectrum).
Which consoles are you talking about? PS4 was better engineered than Xbox One at launch, not only it was smaller, it had the "power brick" inside the box, it was more powerful and had a better RAM setup.

The only MS console that is better than any sony console is Xbox One X, mostly due to being a premium console and coming out one year later.
PS4 PRO was also clearly rushed job to get a one year advantage over whatever MS was doing.
I'm talking about the S onward. define "clearly a rush job" I wouln't excuse the Pro shortcomings on a time crunch...the whole industry has that problem.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
i
If they are launching two consoles, is there any point on making both consoles weaker than the PS5? It seems they will try to force Sony into the middle position.

Lockhart - Cheaper and weaker.
PS5 - Middle ground.
Anaconda - Powerful and expensive.

I think this nails it. It will be interesting to see how close the lower powered model gets to the ps5. If its not close I will actually feel bad for people who pick that up and feel ms will be putting themselves in a negative position from a pro point of view.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The specs for quite a lot of people are going to be completely inconsequential. Backward compatibility with the PS4 catalogue is going to likely ensure current PS4 owners gravitate naturally to the PS5 and similarly for Xbox One users picking up the new MS console. You tend to be more tied in to a brand once you invest digitally.

Both companies just need to provide a spec that can last the next 5 years but as an owner of all 3 current gen consoles it all comes down to the exclusives and services available as to what I go for first next round.
Yup, if there's a generation where BC matters is this one with digital becoming so relevant, unlike previous ones, so Sony has the potential to benefit the most dive has the bigger userbase

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
The X was an (awesome) midgen refresh but still 499. I'm afraid Anaconda will be a 100 more just for the sake of having the more powerful console PR talk and for the others, we'll there's Lockhart. Would be a shame as I'd love to own the 2 consoles.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
MS took the backhand at the start of last gen so I can believe it. Anyone remember the Antonio banderas gifs with the 720p/1080p jokes on gaf once specs and resolutions were compared? Yeah MS don't want shit like that happening again.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is amusing that in the span of a few days we have various groups of people seemingly both saying "wow, PS5 sounds like a beast, would gladly pay $499 for that" and "power doesn't really matter anyway if Xbox ends up having a little more power".

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
Thanks, I completely missed that.

All I'm saying is that it's possible ms could take a larger loss per console in order to have a more powerful console at the same price as the ps5. Ms has shown they can take a +$100 loss per console and can lose billions per year. Could Sony lose billions and still be ok? I don't think so.

Why didn't they do that selling the Xbox One without Kinect for like U$300?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm talking about the S onward. define "clearly a rush job" I wouln't excuse the Pro shortcomings on a time crunch...the whole industry has that problem.

S is not better designed than PS4 slim, it's the same situation as both original consoles. MS improved their console over original XBO, that's it.

Yes, PS4 PRO shows signs of being rushed. It's nowhere near an evolution from original PS4 console like XBOX ONE X is over the other versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.