• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think xbox will be stronger?

• Yes, definitely stronger.

Votes: 1,525 37.7%
  • No, PS5 will be stronger.

Votes: 341 8.4%
  • Not sure honestly.

Votes: 1,424 35.2%
  • Don't care I'm a PC gamer.

Votes: 462 11.4%
  • I play switch only lol. Switch port pls

Votes: 294 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Being more powerful than the competition is pretty much one of the least important factors at all. And we have seen this time and time again. Gameboy vs. Gamegear, PSX vs. N64, PS2 vs Xbox, DS vs PSP, PS3 vs 360 vs Wii, 3DS vs Vita, PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X, the Switch etc.

The vast majority of gamers does not give a single fuck about hardware power.

I'm Agree and sales are the best way to prove this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh god the spec wars are coming back in full force. Now we go from one set of vague specs Vs. Another nebulous but clearly better specs...

Fucking Clownshow

Oct 27, 2017
Better performance is relative. If the gap between the two consoles isn't that big, then it wouldn't really matter. So it's really only important if the performance gap is significant. I just want 1080p at 60fps with short load times.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Right, but you run the risk in both ways based on today's speculation

1. You put out a console that's not cheap enough to make people consider it or you make it so underpowered that people don't think it's worth it. The 1080p stuff has to stop here. It's borderline insane they're going to make a 1080p machine and price it anywhere near PS5. It's already silly to think it's 1080p, but then also it's $399. Get out of here. Lol

2. You put out a machine that's so high end with losses built in it takes months to over a year to catch even on services. Microsoft wants to sell software yes, but they're banking on people just buying their new Xbox subscription with Game Pass.

So they'd need to be selling millions of subscriptions to break even, but it would still take months before they broke even as each new sale adds more and more money in the COGS accounts on their side while their Income accounts are only getting drip pools over the next year to backfill the loss through the subscription.

It's a classic SaaS strategy is to get the user on initial costs that are heavy to you, but in the long run break even based on ARR, which is why Xbox focuses so heavy on MAUs now because that's the potential customer base.

Obviously, the rest of the loss can be made up with third party Xbox game store purchases/DLC/MTX and the like as well. Just saying for the Xbox gamer that buys a box for Xbox stuff, it takes longer to recoup money from those folks when taking losses.

Great post! And agreed!

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't doubt it will be more powerful, the One was the outlier and that only happened because Microsoft planned with 8gb right from the start and Sony had luck that prices for gddr5 got low enough. It would've been interesting though seeing a PS4 with 4gb of RAM this generation (I think there were even rumors of it having only 2 GB).
I hope that we will see innovations from both companies when it comes to hardware, though. Something like Asics to accelerate certain tasks instead of just putting whatever AMD offers and adjusting clock speed.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft aimed to sell 1 billion kinect equipped xbox ones. With that precedence in mind this is just wishful thinking from MS.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Unrelated and does not negate what I said.
But I am very convident xbox will increase its sales by at least 50% in Europe and will probably win back N. America + UK and further its lead in Mexico, it will also do better in Canada an OZ.

I don't see how this will not happen when scarlett do better then x1 in every way.

Holy moly...increase by 50%?! Where on earth do some of you get these ridiculous ideas from...

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I believe Microsoft's 'Secret Sauce' is this guy and his team.

56177ae5dd08957f298b4654-960-720.jpg
Surface Box?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Idk how this has reached 25 pages (I do know how; that's a lie).

But I am genuinely excited for the entire industry for this. If the PS5 we have heard of has a lot of ran and good clock speeds, and the Anaconda is better than that, then that means the PS5 is the baseline, and that is a very very encouraging baseline. It also means great things for PC gamers. Not only will SSDs be useful for start up and load times, but games will be able to be designed in such a way that they can take advantage of SSDs and not have so many short cuts to allow for loading. This is awesome and I am so encouraged by Cerny's heavy emphasis on loading times as a selling point.

There's a ton more that benefits everyone, especially PC gamers, such as Raytracing being implemented at an affordable level, I would even say significantly more next gen than this current gen was over the last. Mostly we got...resolution upgrades. Bigger open worlds I guess...although those still had to deal with load times and were stuck at 30 fps no matter what. We didn't move to an entire new lighting model that not only looks better but literally frees up work for developers as Digital Foundry put out. Faster load times with SSDs as the baseline will literally change game design.

I've been burned too many times with advancements in audio but boy do I hope that the 3D audio being a base level thing on the PS5 means that we might start seeing it get standardized. We are over a decade due - heck maybe two decades due which is unfathomably long without a major tech overhall - for something revolutionary to help improve audio in games. I hope this can help people to see the serious improvements better quality audio adds to multimedia experiences.

I just hope Microsoft can work on 3D audio tech too instead of just...relegating it...to dolby........... Because let's be honest charging devs for a proprietary tech that can be done elsewhere never results in it being used or supported. PhysX, Hairworks, Dolby's HDR, etc. etc.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MPC (most powerful console) does not equal market leader in sales. MS does have a little uphill battle to fight and convince people why Xbox is the place to play games..
Well, they have shown a massive commitment to get those things in place, especially with new Studios, services and tech. Now they just have to show the games. As much as some will moan "Its Gears, Halo and Forza again!" those games will blow peoples minds when they appear at 4k60. They are slowly making inroads to what is normally reserved for Sony to toot their horn about but as long as they support PC, they really cannot play the Only on Xbox card that Sony uses for their titles.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fine with me.
PS5 is an auto buy anyway for many people. You just don't want to miss out on some of the exclusives. My PS4pro is only used for "PlayStation games" and I don't expect the ps5 to be different tbh.
I play everything else on a more powerful device anyway. For me it is (and will be) a PC, for other it will be the next Xbox.
Microsoft's next gen exclusive line up might turn out to be better and more interesting, but so far Microsoft needs to be (significantly) more powerful.

Michael

Oct 28, 2017
I would support a high end $600 SKU and entry level $300-$400 SKU all day. Best of both worlds, let's more people afford day one while offering best tech/graphics for those who want it; and with a relatively "traditional" architecture, high end BOM will fall quickly and allow price to drop.

$600 is really not that bad for something that you will keep for 5 years — people commonly drop $700-$1000+ on a cell phone.

Feb 10, 2018
We had the exact same rumors as well for Durango vs Orbis...

The xbox division is in a different place now.
Back then they were over confident and not gamer focused.

But yes I agree it's not wise to jump to conclusions which one will be more powerful.

We will know soon enough, Sony have made the first move, more final dev kits will be going into devs hands and MS will likely say something at E3.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but Sony aren't gonna be pulling a GDDR5 surprise out of their arse this time.

It wasn't the memory alone, and the 'surprise bump' to 8GB, that rendered those rumours false. There was rumour and insinuation that Durango's chips, for example, were going to be more powerful, with lots of 'secret sauce'.

That talk was all bullshit independent of the memory. Certain journalists were being led on a merry dance by MS insiders, they took the subjective assessment of MS insiders as gospel. And the journalists, the conduits of those 'leaks', didn't know enough about the technicalities to dispute what they were fed.

I hope we're not getting that again this generation. I think there is a factual basis at the kernel here. But I absolutely wouldn't take the subjective assessment of 'MS insiders' at face value.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I believe it but don't particularly care. I will definitely get a PS5 first due the amazing catalogue of games that have built this gen .

Will likely get an Xbox as well way do n the line when it has some games.

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Of all this hardware/specs talk/rumors, for me, at the end of the day, the content they can offer will be more appealing than the hardware itself. Im not saying that it is not important but even if xbox will be the more powerful console next gen, they still need to prove they can produce quality 1st party games to complement their system.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone believe any of this until we get confirmed specs? If these things are coming out fall 2020, there's pretty much a zero percent chance the hardware has been finalized.

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being more powerful than the competition is pretty much one of the least important factors at all. And we have seen this time and time again. Gameboy vs. Gamegear, PSX vs. N64, PS2 vs Xbox, DS vs PSP, PS3 vs 360 vs Wii, 3DS vs Vita, PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X, the Switch etc.

I just said that power alone doesn't win generations. Games are obviously more important but a mixture of the two is a strong combination.

Feb 10, 2018
Holy moly...increase by 50%?! Where on earth do some of you get these ridiculous ideas from...

The xbox one sold about 9million in Europe, you think selling 13.5million is rediculous? Why?
Seems quite a conservative.
It's not going to be difficult to beat xbox one figures considering the rough ride it had this gen.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Not really surprising since the new team has taken over they are just better at hardware than Sony. I would expect they could design a more efficient system allowing them to make it stronger.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): console warring
More hyperbolic Xbox statements. Funny how this was a thing after the interview with Cerny. People said Sony is somehow scared..to me it more looks like the other camp is shitting a bit.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The xbox one sold about 9million in Europe, you think selling 13.5million is rediculous? Why?
It's not going to be difficult to beat xbox one figures considering the rough ride it had this gen.

I don't think their focus is going to be on pushing hardware, it's just going to be one of a number of options for them so I'm not sure what would push a big increase in console sales.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens I'm pretty excited. I've been more consistent in buying PS consoles but I'm open to a new Xbox, especially if they push the envelope (though I'm also a PC player).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's really that terribly difficult to see how MS can manage this.

Both Sony/MS were likely getting about the same system for $499.99 (especially now that Kinect is not an issue) ... MS probably just said "well for $100 more, how much can you improve that hardware?" and opted for a $599.99 SKU to go with a lower end $399.99 SKU.

$100 difference is a huge difference, AMD engineers will be able to make a better system with that extra cushion room.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

True they'll have Lockhart to cater to the lower end of the price spectrum, but will those additional sales be enough to counter people who will just play on PC instead of buying an Xbox or instead might do their Xbox gaming via xCloud to another device? I have no clue, but thought it might be worth considering when trying to discuss numbers.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's apparently an essential commercial argument for their current customerbase, but without games taking advantage of that power, it stays numbers on paper or abstract measurements for geek channels, and for the next-gen more than today when pixels count or framerate is the easiest way to compare two versions.

And no multiplatform games will ever have a better use of a dedicated hardware compared to an exclusive title tailored for it, it's true for Zelda Breath of the Wild or Horizon Zero Dawn.

And the irony is that after years of Windows gaming restraint AND gimped by games targeted for 1.3/1.8Tf consoles SoC, in 2020, it's the average gaming PC (today settled around a Geforce 1060) that will (commercially) constitute the minimal technical common denominator... at least for studios wanting to target Windows and consoles.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't care about the technical disparities much. both consoles are following up mid gen refreshes so both will be beastly and costly. there'd have to be a big gulf between the two to really catch my attention

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If they release their system a year after, sure....

if they launch at the same time, and their system is much bigger... sure.

If they choose to have a higher price (with no extra accessory)...sure.

But I think they will both have similar specs...and now that Microsoft has a legit Studio (Ninja Theory) who can push their system...like how Sony Studios can.... I think Microsoft doesn't need to be pressured into having a more powerful console, spec wise.

I think eventually Microsoft will invest much more into Ninja Theory...making them a Huge studio working on multiple games at a time.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think their focus is going to be on pushing hardware, it's just going to be one of a number of options for them so I'm not sure what would push a big increase in console sales.

You talking about xcloud and windows store users?
Because yes those will increase xbox "users".
There focus will be getting as many people as possible into there echo system weather it be with Xcloud, console or PC.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In 2012 and 2013 we heard x1 will be the most powerful system .even after the reveal Ms keep insisting x1 was more powerful than ps4.not saying anaconda won't be but we can't base it on pr talk until both are revealed

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Vague language, but it's very likely that Microsoft will produce something that has higher paper-specs even if only extremely marginally and for bragging rights more than anything.

I don't think there's that much of a productive discussion to have until we actually see what those specs are, at any rate. Something that probably won't happen officially until next year (we'll get some teases this year but won't have the full picture, much like how Sony's spec releases didn't mention the majority of GPU specs or memory setup).

This seems like the most likely outcome. We know they are aiming for a range of next-gen devices, having a lower priced alright spec and a higher best spec means they can advertise both and claim both. Which going off how MS PR does their thing would likely be a dream scenario for them.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out in the next year or so, the PS4 didn't "win" because it it was more powerful but a combination of factors, it just so happened to then be the most powerful because MS went with Kinect.

The question will be if PlayStation has garnered enough of a fan base to carry it into next gen without leading to some sort of mass switch that seemed to happen at the start of this generation. Sony seems to want to avoid that by getting out in front with things like backwards compatibility of games and hardware news now. And anecdotally speaking it seems to have worked to some degree, some people I work with have already discussed trading in their PS4s for PS5s, and these are the people that buy a couple games a year at best and generally only play GTA and FIFA. I can also see why Sony is against cross platform play at this point going into next-gen, it makes it easier to leave the platform they have people invested in, they want to retain that player base and not make it easier for them to leave for the likes of more powerful hardware and do it easily too.

At the same time MS also likes to get their mindshare, both the XB1X/Scorpio and Scarlet were name dropped far before release to get far ahead of what anyone else is doing by planting that seed. I'm not sure if it has the same pull with the smaller install base, but I imagine they think it is enough at this point. We also know MS is moving almost everything they have into being more service orientated and platform agnostic, they would much rather have lots of users paying a bit than fewer users paying more once, and it seems to be working out for them so far, and now they have more developers to generate exclusive content for their platforms going forward.

And then there's Nintendo who seems quite happy to sit out of the who's most powerful fight and do their own thing, which seems to be working brilliantly.

So yea, going into next-gen is going to be super interesting to see.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I love how this comes out just days after that Cerny interview. I live for these times. The drama continues!

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for saving me the time and typing that up for me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.