• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Can't wait. Dirt 5 is probably one of the 3rd party games that I will get for Xbox Series X instead of PS5.

120fps will be amazing. I'll have to get a new 4K TV that supports true 120fps/Hz/VRR (sorry if I got the terminology incorrect).

Oct 27, 2017
im going to have to buy a new tv.

not sure how to break it to the wife.
If you have a pet, wait for her to be in the bathroom and start throwing the ball around, then "accidentally" run into the TV and knock it over. Live with the embarrassment of being the idiot who ran into the TV, but enjoy games at 120fps!

Oct 27, 2017
Can not wait to hear and learn more about the innovative approaches Microsoft has taken with their SSD and I/O solutions.

Velocity Architecture sounds incredible.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
my best hopes for next gen 2 years ago were SATA SSDs, but to think that we are getting NVME ssds with custom secret sauce added in on both platforms, it's beyond what I ever expected

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Can't wait. Dirt 5 is probably one of the 3rd party games that I will get for Xbox Series X instead of PS5.

120fps will be amazing. I'll have to get a new 4K TV that supports true 120fps/Hz/VRR (sorry if I got the terminology incorrect).
Codemaster deny the 120fps on PS5 ?
This gen will be a blast. The technological jump is insane.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
"Q: What does Xbox Series X/next-generation development enable in current or future projects that you could not have achieved with the current generation of consoles?"

"A:
There are loads of things for us to still explore in the new hardware but I'm most intrigued to see what we can do with the new SSD drive and the hardware decompression capabilities in the Xbox Velocity Architecture.The drive is so fast that I can load data mid-frame, use it, consume it, unload and replace it with something else in the middle of a frame, treating GPU memory like a virtual disk. How much texture data can I now load?"

This stood out to me more than anything. Wow!
This is a very cool detail that illustrates what people miss when they focus on "GB/s" as a spec. It's not about loading massive amounts of data in a short amount of time, it's about loading the assets you need in an incomprehensibly tiny amount of time. This is what we mean when we talk about the new paradigm of next gen.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Depending on titles available on XSX/PS5, I could see myself grabbing Dirt 5 just to see what 120fps is like.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going PS5, but both consoles seem incredible. Maybe I'll get a series x a year or so down the road too.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Codemaster deny the 120fps on PS5 ?
This gen will be a blast. The technological jump is insane.

I don't know if the PS5 version will have 120fps mode. Maybe it will, or maybe it was already confirmed, I'm just not sure.

Also, I don't think any resolution was given for the 120fps mode on Xbox Series X.

I'm not even going to guess, other than, not native 4K.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect 120fps to become commonplace on consoles, but it's cool to see that some devs are going for it. :)

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
I don't know if the PS5 version will have 120fps mode. Maybe it will, or maybe it was already confirmed, I'm just not sure.
I think is fine with a scaling on the resolution :)
The no loading time is the best upgrade. Played prey recently and the constant backtracking in the end of the game with the loading time is terrible.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
A
I've been saying this for a while. The SX setup also allows to load data within a frame, which I think biggest leap those ssds are going to provide.

Wait, wait.
So this is what I've been wanting to know for a while.

I quote myself from another thread "do we know at what point storage speed stops being a bottleneck and the ball is back in the GPU field to render?".
Basically, is SX SSD still fast enough to allow streaming of UE5 demo quality assets ?
Anything beyond that is nice but not game changing I think ?

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
I don't understand how PCs are going to reach console SSD velocity access for the gpu, in the new consoles the GPUs reach the memory without any other process interfering, not calling the cpu to do it because the GPU and the SSD are connected, but in PC I don't see how's that possible with the actual structure based on a cpu, a gpu and memory all separated phisically, the latency involved in every access cannot be forgotten... I don't say it's impossible but I can't imagine it without a physical change in the way we connect into the motherboard all the components involved.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
A

Wait, wait.
So this is what I've been wanting to know for a while.

I quote myself from another thread "do we know at what point storage speed stops being a bottleneck and the ball is back in the GPU field to render?".
Basically, is SX SSD still fast enough to allow streaming of UE5 demo quality assets ?
Anything beyond that is nice but not game changing I think ?
Well they did showed the same tech with Hellblade 2,which we know now that was likely running on ue5 already.

The perfect geometry with no lods was even called out by people who thought it was not in real time. But now with the information we have it's increasingly likely it was real.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
All this is awesome because it directly addresses so many false confirmations people have manufactured about the Xbox Series X due to what has been confirmed for the PS5. That has been one of my frustrations reading stuff online for a while. There is this idea that because that PS5 SSD is so blazing fast that the Xbox Series X SSD is some slow slugging piece of trash and its not. The same goes the other direction too with the CPU and GPU. Folks see that the CPU and GPU of the Xbox Series X is superior so the talk turns to the PS5's setup being weak and slow. Both are completely untrue, but its this weird console warrior fad of confirmation of one being a failure of the other.

So when people talk about the SSD of the PS5 being able to virtually eliminate loading times because it is so fast the falsely manufactured reality some create is that the Xbox Series X cannot do that. It is always going to be on a game by game basis.
I've been saying it for awhile and this further cements it, some people are going to be in for a shock when games are virtually identical between the two systems. The differences that the advantages each system has over the other will result in such minor differences in multiplatform games that they will only be noticable in in depth head to comparisons.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like the Velocity Architecture is so much more than raw SSD speeds. Can't wait to learn more about it.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Really interesting read that. Especially the part around 120fps and ease of dev

"Firstly, I was very surprised at how quickly we were able to configure for 120fps and get it up and running. More importantly, I was shocked at how quickly we could hit 120fps! We hadn't done any optimization for it at this stage but the game was frequently hitting 120fps."

Oh and it would appear the XSX has an SSD after all /s

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't understand how PCs are going to reach console SSD velocity access for the gpu, in the new consoles the GPUs reach the memory without any other process interfering, not calling the cpu to do it because the GPU and the SSD are connected, but in PC I don't see how's that possible with the actual structure based on a cpu, a gpu and memory all separated phisically, the latency involved in every access cannot be forgotten... I don't say it's impossible but I can't imagine it without a physical change in the way we connect into the motherboard all the components involved.
developer.nvidia.com

GPUDirect

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
It's always good to hear positivity from devs. The SSD inclusion for these consoles continues to sound like a game changer.

Jun 10, 2018
Less then a frame to load in new data and use it and then unload it sounds absolutely incredible. Can't wait to see Microsoft First Party make use of the SSD.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Well they did showed the same tech with Hellblade 2,which we know now that was likely running on ue5 already.

The perfect geometry with no lods was even called out by people who thought it was not in real time. But now with the information we have it's increasingly likely it was real.

I think people are sleeping on the Halo trailer too. It's cross gen and running on the slipspace engine and still the amount of geometry present is above anything we've seen.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less then a frame to load in new data and use it and then unload it sounds absolutely incredible. Can't wait to see Microsoft First Party make use of the SSD.

I cannot wait to see Playground's RPG. Having 3 RPG studios working on next gen RPGs is one of the most exciting parts about next gen. I can't wait to see how that genre takes advantage of the next gen hardware. I love me some RPGs.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
'No loading screens' is all I wanted hear. I'm hoping the XSX SSD really is fast enough to virtually eliminate loading all together except for maybe the big open world stuff.

TechBoss

Technical Director @ Codemasters Cheshire
Verified
May 7, 2020
Hi guys, it's me :)
If you want more information, check out the interview I did with Major Nelson over here on Youtube:
www.youtube.com

Interview: David Springate, Technical Director for Dirt 5

Larry Hryb, Xbox's Major Nelson talks to David Springate, Technical Director for Dirt 5. Learn more about how Dirt 5 will use the power of Xbox Series X. htt...

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft is bringing Direct Storage to Windows, which is part of the Velocity Architecture. It'll help with reducing CPU overhead at least.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
In terms of loads, I think what I'm most looking forward to is eliminating that initial gigantic load a lot of open-world games have, that feels like it's about 20 minutes long.

I actually don't mind load times of ~5 seconds here or there in-game. Gives you a chance to take a quick breather before you keep going.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of loads, I think what I'm most looking forward to is eliminating that initial gigantic load a lot of open-world games have, that feels like it's about 20 minutes long.

I actually don't mind load times of ~5 seconds here or there in-game. Gives you a chance to take a quick breather before you keep going.

Imagine RDR2 without that initial load that feels like an hour. One of the bigger things for me will be being able to quickly reload or respawn in games that don't usually focus on it. There's some games where they make that process super fast, but others you have to go through a long load if you die. Having it be borderline instantaneous regardless of the game is going to be a massive QoL upgrade.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018

the load times on borderlands 3 are almost unbearable. The key thing for racers like dirt is that instant (or near instant) load. even this relatively simple quality of life update will be massive for me

TechBoss

Technical Director @ Codemasters Cheshire
Verified
May 7, 2020
Just to be clear, there's more specific talk about where we're at with 120fps in the video, so please, check it out :)

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The thing that will be interesting to see with racing games with little to no load times to me are how they transition from choosing your car/track/etc.. to getting to the race itself. Will it go to a black screen for half a second, will the camera pull up behind your car and then the screen just explodes into the race track, etc...

Should make for some cool ideas.