• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
120 FPS huh? I wonder if it's going to be a locked 120 and how it compares performance and graphically wise to a top end PC running on max settings. I wonder they'll achieve it by dropping to 1440p and disabling some graphical effects, can't wait for the DF analysis.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
DiRT as the Arcady fun offspring and Rally as the mainline Simulation Series.

I can fucking live with that, looks fun!
Gives me strong Motorstorm Vibes and im all for that.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Never played Dirt, is there likely to be a good single player campaign? (considering nolans in I guess so?) or are they more multiplayer focused?

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
120 FPS huh? I wonder if it's going to be a locked 120 and how it compares performance and graphically wise to a top end PC running on max settings. I wonder they'll achieve it by dropping to 1440p and disabling some graphical effects, can't wait for the DF analysis.
If it runs at 4k60 then it should be 1440p@120. 1440p is less than half the pixels of 4k so its doable.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Dirt, is there likely to be a good single player campaign? (considering nolans in I guess so?) or are they more multiplayer focused?
It's a racing game, I wouldn't expect more than tournaments, series, racing categories as progression in the career mode.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into having professional voice actors, they had those in other Dirts, they are more likely rivals that may show up in some cutscenes or competitors that talk into your radio during races.

Unless they're trying something really different this time around, who knows. For what is worth, Codemasters has some really good career modes in most of their games (original Grid, Dirt 2 and the most recent F1s are really good in that sense)

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visual identity is 1:1 copy of Forza Horizon 4. Clean crisp visuals. Highly reflective ice surfaces. Reflective puddles in mud. Seasons. Saturated colors. Confetti/fireworks shoots out on finish line. I love it.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Visual identity is 1:1 copy of Forza Horizon 4. Clean crisp visuals. Highly reflective ice surfaces. Reflective puddles in mud. Seasons. Saturated colors. Confetti/fireworks shoots out on finish line. I love it.
my thinking too. If they catch it somewhere between DiRT 2 and Forza Horizon 4, that could be cool. Kinda feels less innovative that way, but I don't think I'll care if the handling and gameplay loop is fun.

TechBoss

Technical Director @ Codemasters Cheshire
Verified
May 7, 2020
Thank you so much for your positive comments guys - we're looking forward to sharing more with you about Dirt 5 in the coming weeks and months :)

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thank you so much for your positive comments guys - we're looking forward to sharing more with you about Dirt 5 in the coming weeks and months :)
I'm probably one of the few people that cares but thank you for pushing for 4 player split screen! Made me so happy to see on the show.

I'm really hoping with the CPU's in the new consoles wel be seeing more split screen games this gen.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

a lot of those elements are motorstorm and driveclub DNA in there. MS in particular did the whole festival vibe before FH was even a twinkle in playground games eye

Thanks techboss - and welcome to era :) Can I ask whether Paul Rutchynsky is involved in this project?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a lot of those elements are motorstorm and driveclub DNA in there. MS in particular did the whole festival vibe before FH was even a twinkle in playground games eye
Forza Horizon came out 2 years before Driveclub. Motorstorm isn't known for having a clean look. It's full of bloom, motion blur, grime and brown color grading. I don't see relation to either of those games you mentioned and I own and played every single better known racing game.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon came out 2 years before Driveclub. Motorstorm isn't known for having a clean look. It's full of bloom, motion blur, grime and brown color grading. I don't see relation to either of those games you mentioned and I own and played every single better known racing game.
Note I didn't say driveclub came out before, I said MS did - 6 years to be precise. And you say you've played "every single better known racing game" - have you played the motorstorm games? Because 1 and PR in particular contain a lot of the festival visual elements used in this trailer. And PR is a very colourful game, you really don't seem to have played it.

Does it not make sense to you that this team would use visual elements from their own work? Or is just everybody copying FH?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Traditionally yes. There are some circuits and some point-to-point races and obviously the tracks are mostly off-road. I think it would be cool for them to try a spinoff Dirt with a more open world approach, but that's not what the series is.

it could be - imagine dirt: dakar šŸ™€

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Note I didn't say driveclub came out before, I said MS did - 6 years to be precise. And you say you've played "every single better known racing game" - have you played the motorstorm games? Because 1 and PR in particular contain a lot of the festival visual elements used in this trailer. And PR is a very colourful game, you really don't seem to have played it.

Does it not make sense to you that this team would use visual elements from their own work? Or is just everybody copying FH?
Yea,the Motorstorm games are my favorite racing games ever and this trailer gave me huge Pacific Rift vibes.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Played and finished all Motorstorm games. Still don't see relation. You sound a little bit like jaded Playstation fan since you put so much emphasis on Sony exclusives.

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
It's kind of sad this was the thing that excited me most about the Xbox show. Don't get my wrong, I'm stoked for DiRT 5, I'm playing through GRID 2019 right now, but was hoping there would be something that piqued my interest more than this did. Will likely get the PC version unless one of the console versions can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt it'll be better. I have a solid machine.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Played and finished all Motorstorm games. Still don't see relation. You sound a little bit like jaded Playstation fan since you put so much emphasis on Sony exclusives.
lol there it is.

right, seeing trends relates to the developers prior games makes me a jaded PS fan. Oh well, at least it's clear you have nothing left to add.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even denying the game shares some elements of FH - although I wouldn't focus on "clean look" when the game is 4K60/4K120fps, cuz it's gonna look real clean at those levels regardless - but I just think it's odd to call it a "1:1 copy of FH4" when it's pretty clear the devs are using visual elements from their prior games. It's also a bit of a shitty thing to say to the developers, one of whom is literally in the thread.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah but it seems like MS is making it a more console wide strategy, whereas cross buy was limited to certain games (and very specifically, not certain high profile games, like Last of Us). I'd like to share your optimism, but MS has been the much more pro consumer company recently so I definitely don't think console wide cross gen support is a sure thing for PS5. Listening for that double speak in the announcement...
For what seems to be the 20th time (not really). Cross buy is a system wide, platform wide, developer wide, publisher wide push by Sony that was officially announced in 2012. It is part of their development SDK and Publishing documentation. Over 300 games supported it across PS3, PS Vita and PS4. While most major 3rd party didn't with it being optional, a lot of smaller developers did so with monetary incentive. It was not limited to only PSN games, games released on discs could if they wanted to also support cross buy, by giving you digital version on another platform for free. Microsoft being a much more pro consumer company is debatable, there are certain things one does better than the other. There is no doubt that cross buy includes PS5 as well, it just makes sense coming from a generation where games were patched for Pro support and architecture and also services continuity.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
For what seems to be the 20th time (not really). Cross buy is a system wide, platform wide, developer wide, publisher wide push by Sony that was officially announced in 2012. It is part of their development SDK and Publishing documentation. Over 300 games supported it across PS3, PS Vita and PS4. While most major 3rd party didn't with it being optional, a lot of smaller developers did so with monetary incentive. It was not limited to only PSN games, games released on discs could if they wanted to also support cross buy, by giving you digital version on another platform for free. Microsoft being a much more pro consumer company is debatable, there are certain things one does better than the other. There is no doubt that cross buy includes PS5 as well, it just makes sense coming from a generation where games were patched for Pro support and architecture continuity.

The distinction is all first party Xbox titles will support smart delivery, whereas that was not the case with major first party games between PS3 and PS4. Uncharted trilogy, God of War III, Last of Us... these were all "remastered" and sold as new games. Pretty clear tbh

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
The distinction is all first party Xbox titles will support smart delivery, whereas that was not the case with major first party games between PS3 and PS4. Uncharted, God of War III, Last of Us... these were all "remastered" and sold as new games. Pretty clear tbh
The only distinction that can be made is a policy designed in 2012 within the confines of vastly different architectures with unique sets of developmental challenges in a time where Masterchief Collection, Rare Replay were all "remastered", Forza Horizon 2 sold as new games across 360 and XBO. Titanfall which Microsoft bought exclusivity for sold as separate games on 360 and XBO, and a policy designed in 2020. Who's to say Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US 2 which will no doubt be cross gen won't support cross buy? It does not make it any less of a system wide effort when over 10 first party games still supported it including what I if I recall correctly was the first example of major game using disc to digital cross buy and a couple major games across PS3 and PS Vita and PS4. I will gladly take 300 games supporting cross buy with monetary incentive over a few first party games, majority of my library consists of games from those 300. We are heading into a new generation, I expect the policy to adapt in the wake of them making certain claims of moving people from PS4 to PS5 faster than they did with PS3 to PS4.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The only distinction that can be made is a policy designed in 2012 within the confines of vastly different architectures with unique sets of developmental challenges in a time where Masterchief Collection, Rare Replay were all "remastered", Forza Horizon 2 sold as new games across 360 and XBO. Titanfall which Microsoft bought exclusivity for sold as separate games on 360 and XBO, and a policy designed in 2020. Who's to say Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US 2 which will no doubt be cross gen won't support cross buy? It does not make it any less of a system wide effort when over 10 first party games still supported it including what I if I recall correctly was the first example of major game using disc to digital cross buy and a couple major games across PS3 and PS Vita and PS4. I will gladly take 300 games supporting cross buy with monetary incentive over a few first party games, majority of my library consists of games from those 300. We are heading into a new generation, I expect the policy to adapt in the wake of them making certain claims of moving people from PS4 to PS5 faster than they did with PS3 to PS4.
All I was saying is I hope Sony matches the policy. I think they probably will too, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

Looks fun! Hope they also keep the Rally line in development as their sim focused series.

seems like this is the idea. Dirt 4 was an awkward attempt at co mingling the two and didn't really work. Given this seems to return to more arcadey roots, particularly given it to the Evolution team, and the fact that DR2.0 seems to have eventually been pretty successful for them, seems like a safe bet that DR will be the sim series and DiRT the arcade series moving forward

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
my thinking too. If they catch it somewhere between DiRT 2 and Forza Horizon 4, that could be cool. Kinda feels less innovative that way, but I don't think I'll care if the handling and gameplay loop is fun.

forza lifted its more recent elements from the crew so I'm not worried.

Like others knowing people behind driveclub are involved in this title has me pumped.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol there it is.

right, seeing trends relates to the developers prior games makes me a jaded PS fan. Oh well, at least it's clear you have nothing left to add.
All glory to Microsoft for inventing shiny ice, colors, and wet mud.
What do you think you sound like?
It's a Motorstorm + Driveclub looking game from the Motorstorm / Driveclub team. Not that deep fam.
Come on guys, keep that dogpiling up, you can do it! You act like saying this game looks like FH4 is some kind of insult, or that I was the only one who said that. Jeez.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Come on guys, keep that dogpiling up, you can do it! You act like saying this game looks like FH4 is some kind of insult, or that I was the only one who said that. Jeez.
It looks great! Both of these series' started out with "piss filter" and things could have gone differently if that trend continued. I'm glad they have a similar art direction that I like.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed it is the former Evolution team behind Dirt 5.

www.thesixthaxis.com

Dirt 5's developer is Codemasters Cheshire, the reborn studio behind OnRush, DriveClub and MotorStorm | TheSixthAxis

Codemasters formally announced Dirt 5 today during the Xbox 20/20 reveal stream, and I'm sure a few of you will have noticed a distinct arcade feel to the

Oh fucking sick!

Edit: Motorstorm is my favorite racing series. It saddens me that none of them were ever ported forward. Also, FH4 is a great game, but it's not the end-all, be-all of racing games that some of you think it is.

Last edited: