• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Would've been disappointed that there was no first party stuff, but they addressed that up front.
They gave the spotlight to their partners. I think that's cool.

They didn't show any actual gameplay?
Most of the trailers were clearly cinematics, and I think none of them said it was gameplay, so I'll assume all of it was scripted in-engine stuff at most.

Unavoidably extremely #ad, but I appreciate the post-show interviews where the developers got to share some details beyond "look, trailer!"

Nothing I was immediately sold on, but there were a bunch of interesting new games; Dirt 5, The Medium, Call of the Sea.

7/10

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Not a good showing, that's for sure. All cross-gen in look and feel (well, what looked like gameplay at least), as was to be expected, but still, zero hype for Series X. I feel Microsoft dropped the ball again on this reveal. Should have waited for something more substantial. Phil's 2D to 3D jump sounds even more silly now :/

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
There were definitely some cool games here. But as a next gen reveal, this was a disappointment for me. And not having uncut gameplay really soured me.

Hikarilie

Apr 30, 2020
I won't say I'm hyped at all for this upcoming console but I'm marginally more interested than I was before.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There were definitely some cool games here. But as a next gen reveal, this was a disappointment for me. And not having uncut gameplay really soured me.

That's the thing. The games looked neat, some of which I'll be getting. But for a next gen reveal this was a dud. You could have removed AC and said this was some sort of Steam AA / Indie event trailer and not much would be different.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Just watched it, and outside of Assassin's Creed it has to be the most underwhelming next gen games reveal ever. Every game on that I would easily have believed was running on current gen - if Xbox Series X "optimised" games are simply current gen games at 4K60, and MS are supporting the XBO going forward that is some real bad news.

How are Xbox manipulating the dislikes on their video? A few minutes ago it was 14K dislikes and now it's 8K.

Cyrus365

Apr 8, 2020
I think Microsoft has been very open, and clear with their plans, especially their next gen plans, but this seems like this was a mis-step from them. If you don't have many third party games to hype up your "Next gen - Series X Gameplay footage", then maybe they should have just waited till July and sprinkled everything in with their first party offers, and had one big reveal.

It seemed to me, they were trying to capitalize on the thirsty hardcore next gen gamers, who are starved with news, and decided to split/extend showing, to be constantly in the gamers mind share. Like lets show all our 3rd party cross gen games now, and our original work in july so we are always in the news cycle, and as well being the first to show the footage, and market it as Series X Gameplay or enhanced, we'll get to ride of the wave of all the curious gamers who want to see new games coming within the year, and get free Xbox Series X marketing as result. Microsoft and Xbox division are usually pretty slick with their marketing, from their "Velocity Architecture" to "most powerful", so this seem like a blunder from their marketing team if they had a hand in this.

It's similar to what Sony did with their "Road to PS5" showing, they clearly had some other event planned, and when Covid-19 put that on the rails, they had to put something out, and decided a GDC keynote would be the best thing, and the way they hyped it atleast to some and initially, people were expecting to see the console form factor, games, like it was E3 or presentation, rather than lecture talk. It took away from what it was, and it was good tech dive into the PS5.

Bottom line when you hype that your going to see "Gameplay" of your next gen system, that has certain implications, so when you barely show it, or if that's their definition of gameplay, then as result it takes away from some of the announced games that actually looked pretty cool. It will be interesting to see how Sony handles this, because clearly from their 3rd party they will have cross gen games.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I would have made the choice to have this as my console's "first look" at games. Didn't really sell the idea of next gen in anything it showed. Should have held off until the internal game studio showing and done an inside xbox later.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Just watched it, and outside of Assassin's Creed it has to be the most underwhelming next gen games reveal ever. Every game on that I would easily have believed was running on current gen - if Xbox Series X "optimised" games are simply current gen games at 4K60, and MS are supporting the XBO going forward that is some real bad news.

How are Xbox manipulating the dislikes on their video? A few minutes ago it was 14K dislikes and now it's 8K.

I've seen that dislike number go up and down, dunno how they're doing it lol.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
And I thought Cerny inside playstation was bad marketing ;d
Tbh, MS needed this. People were praising their messaging like crazy here and how they've been rolling out their nextgen stuff, MS need to understand that they need to be on their toes every single time they talk.

They could've at least shown one super impressive 1st party game, just a short teaser , even if it's coming out in 3 years. It's all about getting a snowball of hype to start rolling at this point.

Sony will learn from this and come out with their 1st party stuff first, and since MS will wait 2 months Sony will show their stuff before MS, and with that control the nextgen hype (like they usually do).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they can turn this around if they plan to keep the Xbox One consoles around. Third party devs won't drop such a huge userbase unless they're forced to do it, and until that happens I think it'll be an underwhelming start of the generation at least for us that has played on PC.

Won't be a popular opinion but regarding visuals I'm more wowed by Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 Pro than anything I saw today. I guess if it turns out that everything here is 60fps and Ghost is 30fps then I would be more wowed by the XSX footage. Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 has the potential to single handedly crush Microsoft's hype I think.

Yeah - 60fps could be the secret sauce in all this. If all these crossgen games end up running at 4K60, that's a pretty big upgrade to me personally. I would love it - and the graphics will come with time as is always the case at the start of a gen.

But yeah, I am playing RDR2 for the first time right now on Xbox One X. Games like this, and Horizon ZD, Last of Us 2, Tsushima - all look great to me. Granted they are also all 30fps and would benefit greatly at 60. So the games shown today didn't look like a huge step up from say RDR2,at least to my untrained eyes. The are pretty, Which personally is OK because at this graphic level I'm already wowwed.

But, I could possibly wait to jump in to next gen depending on what else MS/Sony are cooking up for 1st party releases. I am in no hurry to get next gen consoles anymore, and honestly, that's a good thing. If I can keep rocking my PS4 Pro and One X, it will save me a thousand bucks this Christmas. This could change though depending on surprise games that first parties may be announcing. I wouldn't be able to wait if HZD2 is a launch title, or if Fable 4 is stunning looking on Series X compared to 1X.

At the end of the day, it is a great time to be a gamer, and I'm fine playing the waiting game for a bit going into next gen, if need be.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, I went in with low expectations and that even ended being not low enough.

I wasn't expecting to basically get 28 minutes of a whole lot of nothing there...... that was a bad 3rd party showing.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for the first party showcase before passing any judgement considering the state of the world right now big games have probably been thrown off far more than the indie games

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I thought it was fine, I am excited for the Series X. Then again I was expecting mostly cross gen, so my expectations were not crazy high.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there was a lot of cool games in there, they just didn't announce the event in the right way imo, and they definitely shouldn't have hyped up gameplay when most of the trailers ended up being cinematics.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
A conspiracy... really? Google's probably cracking down on like/dislike bots.

The dislikes were >16K and suddenly dropped to 9K. Is that normal for nearly 50% of dislikes to be "bots"?

EDIT: Some people commenting that when they checked their dislikes had been removed.

1uLNji2.png

Mine disappeared as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Felt like a collection of the stuff you'd see in a sizzle reel at the E3 conference.

My biggest takeaway is that Obsidian will in fact be revealing something at the XGS show in July.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the presentation. My first reaction is... Meh. The games seem ok, but nothing really exceptional and definitely far from being mind blowing. I would have expected them to show something more impressive as "first game play reveal".

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with the overall makeup of the posters here being majority Sony. That happens when you sell the most hardware. Had I not made the jump to PC, I'd have every generation of PlayStation under my entertainment center and shelves full of PS1-4 games right now, like I used to. They're the most popular for a reason.
All of that is out of the window the minute you made the previous post blaming the posters and this forum.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Tbh, MS needed this. People were praising their messaging like crazy here and how they've been rolling out their nextgen stuff, MS need to understand that they need to be on their toes every single time they talk.

They could've at least shown one super impressive 1st party game, just a short teaser , even if it's coming out in 3 years. It's all about getting a snowball of hype to start rolling at this point.

Sony will learn from this and come out with their 1st party stuff first, and since MS will wait 2 months Sony will show their stuff before MS, and with that control the nextgen hype (like they usually do).
agree, not sure what was the point of showing only 3rd party presentation mostly crossgen games, bad marketing, bad for nextgen hype, if they are not prepared with first party trailers then they should wait as for sure nothing good came from today presentation (besides funny memes ;d)

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Haven't been following Scorn actively, but holy crap it appears to have been redone entirely since the Kickstarter demo, with dramatically better technology and overall production. It was already impressive before, but it's just stunning now. Has the studio partnered with a larger entity, or was their crowdfunding just that massively successful? Really interested in how they managed this transformation. Tried to find the blog on the game's site but it appears to be down, did they just redo the site? It has the trailer from the event and Xbox Series X branding now, so I guess?

I kind of get why a lot of people were disappointed in this show, but I think it's pretty great that it was dominated by independent developers, and every game from those developers looked high quality, exceptionally high quality really. For me it hammered home what has been increasingly apparent as this generation has progressed, that it's now possible for games made by independents to be right up there with the best in terms of technological capability and overall visual impression despite drastically lower budgets and smaller staff sizes. They aren't on the absolute cutting edge, that will always go to the very largest entities and first parties, but what they're now able to achieve is amazing. 10 years ago independent games were just coming out of the shadows, since then the general standard of quality for games has risen dramatically, and the capability now exists for independents to more than keep up. It's hard to see this as anything but a win for the industry at large, and everyone who enjoys games.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dislikes were >16K and suddenly dropped to 9K. Is that normal for nearly 50% of dislikes to be "bots"?

1uLNji2.png

EDIT: Some people commenting that when they checked their dislikes had been removed.
Gentlemen this is what Xbox Team is down to, instead of acknowledging the issue and maybe revising the upcoming events, they are after manipulating the dislikes on a video.

Le Sigh.

dancmc

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have to say I had low expectations but was disappointed still. Liked the variety of course but would have envisioned a 3rd party showcase to include some of the bigger heavy hitting 3 parties. I guess 3rd parties are having their own digital events later in the summer

greenegt

Apr 20, 2018
That's the thing. The games looked neat, some of which I'll be getting. But for a next gen reveal this was a dud. You could have removed AC and said this was some sort of Steam AA / Indie event trailer and not much would be different.

That's a fair take. Gamers are looking to be wowed and this showing was not that.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
What is going on between this and the Cerny talk?

Have both of these companies forgotten how to talk to their player base?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw the dislikes on the video before playing it and was really curious why. saw the footage and it was okay. really wish we got to see what the games actually look like running. this is one thing i really hate about new gen reveals. you always see in game cinematics presented as actual gameplay which is annoying.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Gentlemen this is what Xbox Team is down to, instead of acknowledging the issue and maybe revising the upcoming events, they are after manipulating the dislikes on a video.

Le Sigh.

Xbox literally cannot modify likes and dislikes

It's google side. And you can't forget how likes/dislikes function in the first place.

www.youtube.com

Why Computers Can't Count Sometimes

Sometimes, numbers on sites like YouTube and Twitter jump up and down; subscriber counts lag, like-counts bounce all over the place. Why is it so hard for co...

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was already hyped for AC but the rest of the games didn't really do anything for me. I don't mean to shit on any of the games but it all looked like stuff that could be released on current gen consoles. I'm sure a lot of them are considering the smart delivery label. Idk, nothing really there to push you to jump into next gen considering how much they were hyping this.