• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Was expecting a tad more graphically tbh. Even knowing that it's cross-Gen stuff. I guess that initial Hellblade 2 trailer spoiled me. But if anything it means I'm even more excited to see the rest of their first party output. That's where we're going to see the new hardware utilized a bit more.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Why would you buy a Series X to play games that are on your current hardware and look visually indistinguishable? The negativity is centered on this being marketed as a next-gen blowout, which it objectively delivered none of. Has nothing to do with new IPs or lack of Halos or Gears.
We knew all the games shown would be third party crossgen games though. We don't know what they look like on current gen systems so hard to say that it's visually indistinguishable

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
they really fucked up the messaging of this

they would have been better off just calling it another inside XBOX with a look at some titles that will be appearing on XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Oof! The number of dislikes is nuts.

l58Hg6G.png

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Ask yourself this simple question:

Was this entire showcase necessary in selling the Xbox Series X? Did it do anything at all to help communicate what you're getting?

Or would it have been better to wait a few months and show off sneak peak of something specifically developed for the Xbox Series X along with a brief video showing the benefits of smart delivery and reiterating their commitment to backwards compatibility, etc.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the presentation. That's the best inside Xbox I've watched. Same with state of play. The format is a reel of trailers. You can't go wrong. The issue is the games being shown

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility implies you simply can play the old games on the new hardware. Smart Delivery is about upgrading your game to benefit the power of the next gen
It's more than that.

You buy a game on Xbox One, you get the future next gen upgrade for free.

So if it was implemented last gen, you'd buy the 360 version of GTAV and get the next gen version for free basically, that's the deal.
I know that. Also on the bottom of all of the videos they did say smart delivery, so why do they have to keep mentioning it and saying it.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agreed, still i'm only talking about what was showed, not how it was showed. So I expect Sony to show not in a different way, but some 1st party games that will make me impressed.
But they can only show what these devs offer them, it's not within Microsoft's control what others do and put together for a show

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"This forum"...what forum are you spending time on? Era is heavily slanted towards Sony. Like, it's not even close. We've been getting threads about literal rubbish nonsense like PC holding back PS5 development because of the new drives, and people have been saying for months that they think Xbox will also hold back PS5 development because of Xbox One and Lockhart, and thankfully Sony will pull out the exclusives. Seriously, where have you been?

"People". And you can find plenty of "people" that say just the opposite. You want to tell me that threads about Sony conferences, State of Plays, ect.. aren't overwhelmingly negative? It's not because of any bias, its because this forum is mostly overwhelmingly negative and cynical. People that come in with persecution complexes usually fueled by their own console preference/slant are going to see what they want to see, as evidenced by your post.

Are there probably more Sony fans here? Sure, its sold like twice as many consoles and has a much bigger worldwide presence. But to act like that means MS somehow doesn't get a fair shake or threads/posts in this forum are generally kinder to Sony is delusional.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Damn. My main takeway is we've really started to hit the point of diminishing returns for fidelity. Next-gen is all about higher framerates for me at this point.

if most of what was show doesn't play at 4K 60 what's the point. Some of the games lookedlike they would run on a switch.

high frame rates and fast loading will be cool though.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
MS is getting hammered on social media, and boy do I think they deserve it.

Inside Xbox is not fit for purpose as presently executed. Scrap that entirely and hire a PR firm to do it right.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
"This forum"...what forum are you spending time on? Era is heavily slanted towards Sony. Like, it's not even close. We've been getting threads about literal rubbish nonsense like PC holding back PS5 development because of the new drives, and people have been saying for months that they think Xbox will also hold back PS5 development because of Xbox One and Lockhart, and thankfully Sony will pull out the exclusives. Seriously, where have you been?
You yourself have to be biased to only be able to see the bias from one side. It's easy to see plenty of fanboys from the Xbox AND PlayStation side on this forum. The only difference may be that there are more for PlayStation because there are twice the PS4 owners as there are Xbox One.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Damn. My main takeaway is we've really started to hit the point of diminishing returns for fidelity. Next-gen is all about higher framerates for me at this point.

Only 5 seconds of loading or less, even from the main menu into the game, is all I want from next gen

Current big name games are atrocious at load times

I played a lot of the new Battlefield on PC, and it takes 1 - 5 minutes to actually get into a game from launch

Extremely painful

And this is on a SSD

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Fine, not a launch lineup but I mean the first games they choose to show for their new console. Shouldn't we be excited after this?
They still have like 6 months to make you excited for Series X. I'm interested in most of the games shown, but none of them blew me away. Their first party event is what really going to make a statement and no one's going to care about what they showed in May.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just checking in in my work break. So let me get this straight , there was no footage of next gen games running in XSX? That's too bad . Was looking forward to seeing some. Oh well .
I think Madden 21 was actually running on Xbox Series X, but they showed like two seconds of it. Overall if you were expecting to be blown away by gameplay demos of people playing on the Xbox Series X you will be disappointed. If you go in expecting some trailers for some cool looking indie games that are crossgen and look good but not mind blowing you'll find some cool games in there. I think as a show it was good, but being marketed as a showcase fore the Series X's power set it up for failure.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I know that. Also on the bottom of all of the videos they did say smart delivery, so why do they have to keep mentioning it and saying it.
Because they want you to know that the games will all be playable on both the base Xbox One to the Series X and you will get all the bells and whistles that come with the next gen for free.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has 3 types of users:

the whiners: those games look bad!

the rationale people: a little dissapointing but i understand that covid is making events like this hard to coordinate. The real telling difference will be in frame rates and res!

and the high-horsers: YOU PEOPLE SICKEN ME WITH YOUR ENTITLED ATTITUDES. WHY I NEVER...Fucking gamers.

lets see how they all interact with eachother!
5a1c0db115e9f92f9a5e2f5e.jpg

just another day on resetera!

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
giphy.gif

Bruh...

This forum has been praising Microsoft this entire year for how they've handled their X1X rollout and have been heavily shitting on Sony's every step of the way and now when people say "nah this ain't it, this was bad" you have the audacity, the gall and the nerve to say this?

Bruh, what are you even saying right now lmao. Who's man's is this?

Bruh??? what the fuck does that mean?

There has been plenty of praise for the Series X and some for MS this cycle...
...buuuuut, every single XBox or MS related thread turns into a shit show of people not only fanboying hard against MS and XB, but also ripping into developers and their projects. I am just tired of the sloppy, disrespectful hot take jaded internet rejects. I said the show wasn't as great as I would have hoped, but I didn't go off trashing MS for other peoples work, nor did I drive by and shitpost like half of this thread...nor did I pull a Keighley and condemn the show in a passive agressive manner during and after.

OK bye.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They should have just waitied till the 1st party stuff was ready and sandwiched all this stuff between halo and fable

Oct 27, 2017
I read "Left 4 Dead but with dinosaurs" and tried looking for a dedicated thread. Didn't watch but would love to check that out. Anyone have a title or link?

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
So, now that Elden Ring wasn't shown in this event, when do you think it'll be shown next? Bandai's own event (if they have one)?

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
They still have like 6 months to make you excited for Series X. I'm interested in most of the games shown, but none of them blew me away. Their first party event is what really going to make a statement and no one's going to care about what they showed in May.

Yeah I suppose. Sorry, I'm just cranky. I was disappointed.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
People need to chill out. It was just an inside Xbox at 8 in the morning and they showed a couple games. This isn't going to hurt the Xbox brand in the long run and the new console isn't doomed. It'll get hate for a couple days and then blow over, just like every other showcase we've ever seen.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was a pretty good first look. Tons of new IPs, way more than I was expecting and games I'd never heard of. I think most people were expecting a rehash of the series we've already heard of, no new reveals, but as far as I can tell only Dirt5 and Madden 21 were sequels in a series and the rest were new titles. If you don't me the Xbox Series X game reveal would show ... 10 new IPs that I'd never heard of, that wouldn't have been believable to me.

Also good to see all of the Smart Delivery tags, seems like every game will be smart delivery so faar which is aweosme.

I don't really see how anybody could come out of this negatively, at least, if you're being fair minded. Like, we already know that the games that have always been on xbox ... Call of Duty, Forza Horizon, Gears, Halo, Assassins Creed, etc., are going to be on this console. If the presentation focused on those, then I'd imagine the narrative would flip "Ugh, I'm so bored, where are the new games??"

Madden's reveal was so horribly bad, which is par for the course. That's a prediction that I got right, though I have no pride in that.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
There won't be a next gen only PS5 game that will blow first party MS games out of the water though

You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you miss it. Wait until there's a direct feed 4k version available, the games will look awesome without the stream artifacts. I think you are just witnessing fanboys, or people with unrealistic dreams about how next-gen should look, there were several stunners at the showcase. Notice that many of the posts both say the visuals looked disappointing, but then tried to handwave the sections that looked amazing as CG. My real takeaway, was that there's are some awesome looking, and incredibly compelling looking games coming out around launch.

My Favorites were Scorn, CHORVS, the intro section of the Ascent, and I quite liked the AC Valhalla section.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
It almost feels like we are living on a pandemic and this was the best we could get while the world is still trying to get to normality.

But I guess muh games are more important than developers health.

This was marketed as a appetizer from the beginning, not sure what people were expecting in this current situation we are living.

"It would be better to them to show nothing!!1"

Nah, I'm good, some interesting games were shown in there, nothing wrong with that.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
It was really bad. I dont have anything against them working from home but the presentation.. the speakers.. so much cringe! So much fakeness!

It's beyond just PR fluff, all the PR people come across as corporate drones who are far more passionate about their corporation than the medium they are in. The way they communicate is so hopelessly out of touch, I have to wonder what they are thinking.

IX has never been a particular highlight for the brand. I don't know why they insist on it.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I was happy to see some new trailers. I couldn't really understand the power of the XSX especially when most conversations are comparing it to the PS5 specs. I'm hoping for more next gen only games.

But if I was an Xbox One owner, I would be extremely happy with these smart delivery games. Hopefully a lot of people benefit from this.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
But they can only show what these devs offer them, it's not within Microsoft's control what others do and put together for a show
You are right, probably... I'm not blaming MS at all, I just hope by the time Sony does their show, there is more to be showed.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Seemed like an okay show, but that didn't seem like as many games as I was expecting for a 30 minute show. Ended up turning it off when it seemed like they were just going to do Q&A with devs for the rest of it.

I'm not surpised that they'd have a hard time showing any games that could show off what the next-gen upgrades have to offer, so the show was about what I expected on that front.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the presentation. That's the best inside Xbox I've watched. Same with state of play. The format is a reel of trailers. You can't go wrong. The issue is the games being shown

The issue is that this was marketed as "first Series X gameplay". If you're showing off games for your big next-gen console for the first time, you want to make it as compelling and enthralling as possible. The theme for such a presentation should be "this is next-gen and why you should get it".

The presentation today had the complete opposite effect. It didn't showcase next-gen properly at all and didn't give any compelling reason as to why someone should go out and spend $500 on a system to play the same games that are visually indistinguishable from a One X.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
I feel like the discussion about "how disappointing! Inside Xbox does it again!!" is way less interesting than the bigger conversation that we're coming up on, which is "what happens when new consoles can't rely on graphics to sell themselves to a mainstream (or even some enthusiast) audiences".

We were always going to reach an inflection point where for even the more tuned in "mainstream gamer", the games simply don't look any different to them.

Can't help but feel like we're there. And it's why things like XCloud and Gamepass, etc are so crucial. Convenience is now king, and graphical leaps are now secondary.

I'm in my mid-30s. Been an early adopter since I could afford consoles. But this time out? I'm gonna play Halo Infinite on my X1X (better graphics on the Series X be damned), and wait on a PS5 til Spider-Man or whatever year 2 stuff drops next Xmas.
I'd agree with you if these games were made by Ubisoft, EA or Cyberpunk, but the vast majority of the games revealed were done by AA studios (first game was done by one guy).

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
We knew all the games shown would be third party crossgen games though. We don't know what they look like on current gen systems so hard to say that it's visually indistinguishable

But not everyone knew it would be completely devoid of anything AAA aside from AC. Yeah shinobi said to temper expectations, but not everyone on the internet visits ERA, and even then, tempering expectations when people were talking about Rocksteady and Elden Ring doesn't mean no AAA games.