• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
What the point of bragging with 12tf when you cant even deliver next gen graphics..

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
The cycle for these kinds of shows/threads is almost ALWAYS exactly the same:

-People get overhyped, let their imaginations run away, usually because they want console war ammunition
-The show happens and people shit on it, because most people here shit on almost anything and everything
-Some people start defending the show, saying things like "it was fine", "I saw some games I liked", "They're saving the real stuff for **insert goalpost**"
-Some of those same people (you can usually tell by the avatars) start whining about how their company of choice is treated unfairly here, how this would be different if it were a Sony show, ect.., oblivious to the fact that whenever Sony gets around to doing their next showing the exact same thing will happen only the roles will be reversed.
-None of it will matter as like 90% of us already have your minds made up as to which console(s) we are buying.

See you all for the fun next month!
This is where I'm at.

Mar 11, 2019
No

They said they will show gameplay, especially of the new AC, but i saw nothing that could be considered "gameplay"

It was a lot of talking about how powerful and great Xbox is, which was expected, but the showed zero footage that could be considered as a human playing a game

It was all scripted cutscenes and maybe 2 seconds of actual gameplay for almost every game

The only games that had actual gameplay shown was some Anime game that's a ripoff Astral Chain, and DIRT, which is just cars driving.
Not really, maybe Bright Memory and Medium.
Thank you, seems more like baiting people giving the wrong expectations of what is actually shown. At least shinobie was right in tempering our expectations. But he also mentioned that MS does have exciting first party games to show.

I regard this event as a missed opportunity, to actually make the casual gamers excited for the series X and its capabilities. Now they more or less reaffirmed that your not magically getting next gen games out of cross gen games. Which sucks since Xbox intends to do so for 2 years.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Bruh...

This forum has been praising Microsoft this entire year for how they've handled their X1X rollout and have been heavily shitting on Sony's every step of the way and now when people say "nah this ain't it, this was bad" you have the audacity, the gall and the nerve to say this?

Bruh, what are you even saying right now lmao. Who's man's is this?

"This forum"...what forum are you spending time on? Era is heavily slanted towards Sony. Like, it's not even close. We've been getting threads about literal rubbish nonsense like PC holding back PS5 development because of the new drives, and people have been saying for months that they think Xbox will also hold back PS5 development because of Xbox One and Lockhart, and thankfully Sony will pull out the exclusives. Seriously, where have you been?

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
To everyone who said new console rollouts aren't hype and always let people down:

- Review Switch's reveal
- Review Playstation 4's reveal

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Feels kinda odd to say on this forum that I liked what they showed and can't wait to play plenty of those games. With that said, I'll post something more in tune with this forum: SO BORING OMG 2 MANY CROSSGEN GAMES WHERE WAS CYBERPUNK ELDEN RING SMH
You're saying this as if that sentiment were exclusive to this forum, but from what I'm seeing in social media and also some WhatsApp groups interested in gaming, they weren't wowed by this. It's ok to criticize Xbox when they disappoint, I'm very excited by Series X and I understand they have a lot to show yet, but people are allowed to express disappointment, especially when they hyped up this episode of IX and talked about next gen gameplay. Posts like yours only propagate the notion that "people downright hate Xbox", when in fact I've seen threads where they've been praised for their messaging and clarity when it comes to next gen. Don't act like this, criticism should be given when deserved. Now, there are some posts clearly stirring console warring, report them and the mods will take care of them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The games shown were ok but I think showing only cross-gen titles was a mistake, especially when MS announced it as a reveal of next-generation games. When the expectation set is to see something next-gen to then be shown a futuristic looking space shooter or 2d stick-shooter will always disappoint a huge number of people hungry to see what these machines can do, no matter how fun they look.

This was a chance for MS to really show the difference the next-gen will bring but to me there was little there that looked a huge leap beyond the current generation, the AC reveal especially was terrible in terms of actually showing any gameplay.

I'm no marketing expert but I'd have had a separate segment for all the games that were coming to GamePass and really highlighted the number of titles that you'd have access to on the system if you subscribed to GP.

Also I couldn't help but notice the 'We hope this is what it'll look like on Series X' tacked onto the bottom of most of the videos. People are wary of target renders, in-engine claims etc anyway but pasting it across the bottom of your videos, though honest, will just raise questions about how indicative they will be of the final product.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you have proof of what you are saying and not just rumours I won't believe it as right now with game development as we know it and scaling being a thing I somehow doubt we will get anything more than what Sony was already delivering on PS4 but with higher resolution and higher framerates, especially year 1.
Lol the burden of proof is on you, you're the one that started an argument with a definitive claim.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that was pretty weak. We saw solid and interesting games, but as a next-gen look-in this event failed. We saw nothing that doesn't look like current-gen and heck there wasn't even gameplay footage. It would have been a nice Direct or State of Play which you can drop in between the big events, but not as first look at next gen third party games. First party event will be most likely more interesting, but a lot of their games will be 3,4 years away and won't be gameplay either.
I think Sony has now a massive chance to get into pole position. If they do an event and showcase gameplay from the likes of Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, Gran Turismo 7 and maybe rumored stuff like Demon's Souls or Silent Hill, they will ride the hype wave till launch, which will only get bigger with The Last Of Us and Ghost Of Tsushima in the summer.

NowhereFaded

Nov 11, 2017
Ridgefield, Wa
Just checking in in my work break. So let me get this straight , there was no footage of next gen games running in XSX? That's too bad . Was looking forward to seeing some. Oh well .

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Stop. This is so dumb. It's not because it's Xbox. If you think that, if Sony had done this exact same show, especially with the same tweets of "first next-gen gameplay," people WOULDN'T be disappointed, you're absolutely, positively delusional.
Naw, some need to get that persecution complex flowing.

An earlier post said it best, if this was promoted as about Smart Delivery, cross gen it would have probably went over alot better. Saying next gen gameplay, then barely showing any would have ppl disappointed.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
dunno most of this felt like stuff you would sandwitch in between major game announcements. Nothing really caught my eye, kinda into assassin creed but if it's a MT mess like the last 2 I don't want it.

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
They started the show saying, very directly, that the world is in a global pandemic, the safety of their teams are a priority, there will be a first party showcase in July, and this is a taste of what their third party partners are working on to support Series X at launch.

The expectations were set very clearly from the start. Sometimes this community can be as dense as console warriors on Twitter.
it didn't help that they saved some reveals for the talking part of the event though. Revealing dirt was 4K 60 or 1080p 120 would've made it better during the gameplay trailer.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
The "DOESNT LOOK NEXT GEN" people are in for a rude awakening. Has nobody been through a console launch cycle before? Lmao

Their mistake was hyping this up as anything beyond an Inside Xbox, which is always lame as hell, when it clearly wasn't supposed to be a "next-gen blowout" that everyone has been looking for.
Have you ? Microsoft opened up E3 2013 with Metal Gear Solid V

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
^^ This is serious I think.

I can't believe gamers are satisfied with this kind of trash. Compare to the shows on Netflix etc for instance, where you actually can sense some kind of quality control for what's produced. There's no reason it should be any different in gaming, it's just that gamers are used to such a low standard that even a launch lineup for a new console like this comes across as "fine".
Do you know what you just watched?

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Nothing shown was particularly impressive (except the first game being done by one guy wtf?) or "next gen". Though the promises some made for frame rate options were indeed promising. Don't think a single game in the trailer interested me at all though. Mainly watched to see Xbox Game Studios stuff, so it was a bit disappointing in that regard, but I guess we gotta look forward to July then.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that the games don't look interesting. It's the fact that they spent time marketing this as the first real look at next-gen games and we got hardly any gameplay at all. A couple of game trailers is not a good look at next-gen.

was it that different from what you'd have seen on stage at E3? Its all sizzle reel/in-engine stuff these days especially for first looks.

Dec 31, 2017
This was a massive dissapointment. Where were the next-gen games? Nothing looked better than what we currently have. Where were the heavy hitters? Assassins creed was barely gameplay, nothing showed me how it was a
Visual improvement over odyssey
Wait what? Just from that trailer I could see how Valhalla looks far better than Odyssey.

Are people expecting CG graphics here? Go play Control on a 2080ti with Raytracing on so that way you will get your expectations in check.

failgubbe

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This doesnt have anything to do with the format but what is being shown and announced.
You think anyone would have cared that this was a stream if they had show Next-Gen Harry Potter, Edlen Ring, real AC gameplay and Hellblade 2 ?

In the end this was just a teaser/appetizer for a year full of announcements. Even though it could have been a bit better.
Of course i or anybody else wouldnt have cared if it was only AAA 10/10 games shown and it being a stream.

This stream just cemented my thoughts on the stream concept, it's shit honestly and will be shit since all publishers want to have their own and the market gets over saturated with directs that is hyped to oblivion and does not deliver, at least during E3 you can be disapointed one day of the year lol

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The most exciting thing about this whole event was the reveal of the boot animation a few days ago while advertising it.

Inside Xbox fucking sucks more often than not, but this hype for next gen, no gameplay, and talking heads discussing bullshit. It's beyond disappointing.

The only shit I want to see is a trailer for Fable 4. Throw it on Youtube and say nothing until July. It would blow away this whole showing.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
This forum is full of people just salivating over anything they can shit on MS for...fucking sad. Also, Keighley, who I regarded as a respectable gaming figure, was a real arrogant asshole acting like a 12 year old during this IMO. This place and non MS fans have become increasingly disrespectful to game developers and anything associated with the Xbox brand...what a fucking joke.

dude were you in the road to ps5 thread? i can guarantee you if this was a week long hype from Sony you'd be seeing alot of the same posts. peeps are just thirsty ready to see what these new systems can do and were still not seeing it.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the thought process around being able to continually provide information over the coming months, however it's rarely executed well and this is no exception in my opinion. If you're going to do it this way you need to be able to justify it but I think this wasn't worth it. Next gen is very much a matter of go big or go home.

The best looking game was the first one they showed by far, I'm skeptical about it because it's a one person studio or whatever. On a positive note, I thought Chorus looked cool even though it's not my type of game it looked refreshing. The ascent was okay looking, Scarlet Nexus also looked decent.

Assassin's Creed saying it's a gameplay reveal, followed by showing a cinematic trailer, followed by doubling down that this is GAMEPLAY is baffling. In game footage? Maybe. Gameplay? No. The hosts and interviews added nothing to the event either.

Just give us a 60 or 90 minute event and spread the less exciting announcements in between.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
They started the show saying, very directly, that the world is in a global pandemic, the safety of their teams are a priority, there will be a first party showcase in July, and this is a taste of what their third party partners are working on to support Series X at launch.

The expectations were set very clearly from the start. Sometimes this community can be as dense as console warriors on Twitter.
If you tell people there's going to be gameplay and the news outlets tell everyone there's going to be gameplay and you show very little gameplay - expect the internet's wrath.

I mean the Assassin Creed trailer they've uploaded to YouTube is literally titled 'gameplay trailer' and shows zero gameplay.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I don't feel third party will look different to what we saw and how much are they going to show when it comes to first party? We will see.

I hope they will look difference and we will see most first party games being showed.

I can't tell if this is meant to be making fun of the posters here or not

Why would you think that? I was just not impressed at all with what was presented. So, I hope Sony will do different, meaning, showing some games that I will be interested on.

What? This is the best they can do. People literally can't work from their offices. This is what is going to be the case for every place. Sony included.

I agreed, still i'm only talking about what was showed, not how it was showed. So I expect Sony to show not in a different way, but some 1st party games that will make me impressed.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Because of one underwhelming presentation? I agree this was a mistake as was Sony's GDC presentation. But Microsoft's marketing has been pretty good so far in general
Yeah, this is a bit ridiculous.

That was their first mediocre showing so far (since before TGA), and suddenly they need to change their marketing team?

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
"This forum"...what forum are you spending time on? Era is heavily slanted towards Sony. Like, it's not even close. We've been getting threads about literal rubbish nonsense like PC holding back PS5 development because of the new drives, and people have been saying for months that they think Xbox will also hold back PS5 development because of Xbox One and Lockhart, and thankfully Sony will pull out the exclusives. Seriously, where have you been?
Reality has a well-known Sony bias.

Sony has a world wide following, so it is not surprising that people like Sony. It's not bias as much as just how things are.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
The console is backwards compatible, nothing more needs be said. You don't have to keep repeating that word like it's that big of a deal.
Backwards compatibility implies you simply can play the old games on the new hardware. Smart Delivery is about upgrading your game to benefit the power of the next gen

SpiderLink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not that the games don't look interesting. It's the fact that they spent time marketing this as the first real look at next-gen games and we got hardly any gameplay at all. A couple of game trailers is not a good look at next-gen.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't hear any of the lead-in to this, or any marketing stuff, so I guess I was able to just enjoy what I saw without any highfalutin expectations. I'm awfully sorry for the people who had their hopes sky-high but I'm still taken aback by the takes here. I browse Era pretty casually so it's pretty unsettling to see this kind of reaction to new (and in my mind exciting) stuff. Thanks for taking the time to illuminate me!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The console is backwards compatible, nothing more needs be said. You don't have to keep repeating that word like it's that big of a deal.

It's more than that.

You buy a game on Xbox One, you get the future next gen upgrade for free.

So if it was implemented last gen, you'd buy the 360 version of GTAV and get the next gen version for free basically, that's the deal.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Of course i or aybody else wouldnthave cared if it was only AAA 10/10 games shown and i being a stream.

This stream just cemented my thoughts on the stream concept, it's shit honestly and will be shit since all publishers want to have their own and the market gets over saturated with directs that is hyped to oblivion and does not deliver, at least during E3 you can be disapointed one day of the year lol
I get what you are saying - but its not like e3 never had disappointing Press conferences or presentation.
We know that MS big presentation will be in July....thats the one you can have bigger expectations for. This was just an appetizer to dont leave their fans hanging.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. My main takeway is we've really started to hit the point of diminishing returns for fidelity. Next-gen is all about higher framerates for me at this point.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I couldn't agree more. The negativity in this thread is absolutely mind-blowing to me. I'm going from Sony to Microsoft as my main console next gen because it seems like they're being more consumer-friendly and that's appealing to me personally. It seems like the clarion call was "all this is worthless without games" and now people are spitting on new interesting-looking IPs? I'm not especially interested in halos and gears and forzas so it was good to see lots of cool offerings. I guess I just care about different things than the majority or I'm hearing a vocal minority ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why would you buy a Series X to play games that are on your current hardware and look visually indistinguishable? The negativity is centered on this being marketed as a next-gen blowout, which it objectively delivered none of. Has nothing to do with new IPs or a lack of Halos or Gears.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I feel sorry for people like this. Like if you feel bad or have issues with this or any other forum is not healthy.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
How does that conflict with the fact that they set expectations at the start of the presentation?

No, they set expectations when advertising the event as a first look of gameplay.

They "tempered" expectations with the start of the presentation, which is why people were immediately led to being disappointed. Not to mention that if you jumped into the stream at any point after the opening, you did not get that message, you were joining to see gameplay, and you barely saw it.

It's alright to admit Microsoft bungled the advertising/messaging for this. It's not the first time and it probably won't be the last, but it's not going to do any lasting PR damage. People will have long forgotten by the time the later showcases come around.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they will look difference and we will see most first party games being showed.

Why would you think that? I was just not impressed at all with what was presented. So, I hope Sony will do different, meaning, showing some games that I will be interested on.

I agreed, still i'm only talking about what was showed, not how it was showed. So I expect Sony to show not in a different way, but some 1st party games that will make me impressed.
Ya know MS still has yet to show their first party games too right?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That was a bit of a disappointment, they probably should have at least one bombshell per show, hope they are saving a lot of good stuff for later.