• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much where i stand.

Bummer since some things looks pretty cool.
I am currently playing God of War, so that's sort of my "benchmark" for next-gen. I know there will be beautiful games for the new consoles, this was just a terrible showcase. If anything, it demotivated me getting a new console at launch (I'll probably still get one).

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean

reminder that we are in a pandemic and inevitably are going to have a cross gen period like last gen that can last up to and over a year?

I think everybody recognizes that. Anybody who doesn't is an asshole.

I think the problem lies in the fact that Microsoft sold the show as showing more than it really did. They said we'd be seeing gameplay and it was mostly just in-game footage with a sprinkle of gameplay here and there.

Dec 31, 2017
I also think this whole presentation highlights why these things need to be pre-recorded. That stream quality was terrible, and when you're trying to hype up awesome graphical fidelity that is not ideal.

It would also help if they showed something that was truly next gen; taking full advantage of the Series X tech. Instead we got games developed for current gen with better graphical fidelity. Its just not the same thing, nor the best way to hype up your new console.
Maybe because you won't get anything really next gen for a while and because no one is actually ready to show AAA games that will probably be released more than 2 years from now or big third parties are keeping their games for their own events?

Didn't anyone notice that almost no big 3rd parties were on the stream? They'll all have their own thing,coming into something like this with Bigger expectations is stupid. Don't people remember Xbox One or PS4 reveals? Show me all the big third party games at those reveals that really impressed you and sold you on next gen?

Ots like people were expecting FF16, Residetn Evil 8, elder Scrolls , etc but next gen only! That will never happen, people should tamper expectations as you will be sorely didn't next gen, especially before late 2021 or 2022

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
Whose bright idea was it to make your first next-gen showing with almost all AA titles ? Like how can not see this coming ? Of course people will be dissappointed.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
IgMyx.gif

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that was a really good showing, but a lot of the games appealed to me:

- Call of the Sea
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2
- Yakuza: Like A Dragon
- Bright Memory Infinite
- Dirt 5

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think it's important if this is going to be the only 3rd party event for Series X.

If there is a second event with AAA games, then this was a meh idea. If there isn't one, and we have to wait until July before seeing another Series X game, this was a terrible idea.
Yeah, I feel like the unknowns around the June event make this whole "20/20" initiative hard to parse. They've said they're doing one a month, and have said they're not showing the XGS aquisitions until July. So what exactly is happening in June? Is it going to be a 100% hardware focused show like the disastrous ONE debut? Another Inside Xbox filled with smaller-tier cross-gen games? A larger show with major third party publishers?

My guess is Ubisoft forced their hand with this event, wanting to debut Valhalla in-game footage - and having an entire show for a 60 second teaser is a bad idea. So we got a smattering of smaller third parties debuting cross-gen stuff.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well then your oblivious to general industry chatter here and by commentators, also this isn't the complete showing, what makes you think that it is? No first part game and you think that's the intro? Don't be so daft.
I don´t really care about industry chatter but i damn well know how you hype a new console. And that´s not how.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
They announced this as the first next gen gameplay.

If you're going to do that, it needs to feel like next gen gameplay. And you can really only do that with first party titles.

This was a poor reveal and the wrong way to do it.

yeah it was a messaging failure IMO. Had they tried to spin this as some sort of cross gen showcase (maybe emphasize their Smart Delivery stuff before the showing, instead of emphasizing the first look at next gen while showing stuff that will all probably be out on PS4) I think expectations would have been more in line

But in the long run none of this shit matters. The stuff that causes 100 page threads on ResetEra has such little actual impact on whether or not people will drop $500 on a box in November

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Gave it C. There were a handful of games shown that I will definitely play, but it absolutely didn't make me any more excited for next-gen consoles.

I feel like it was legit an F because there was literally no gameplay
It was just a fail
Someone should be fired for advertising it as gameplay instead of in game footage

Oct 27, 2017
What is this revisionist bull? Nobody knew the games at all beforehand.

This was a stream titled get a look at first next gen gameplay on xbox series x

Not get a look at crossgen titles that are also coming to series x
They said the titles would be optimized for series x which means the games were current gen and running at a higher resolution and/or fps on xsx.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
People we knew all the games were current gen titles beforehand. This was a stream to highlight mostly AA games coming. Not a next gen visual showcase. It will take a while before we get to see tiltes with game design built around next gen hardware.
What? No one knew that.
We were told that it would be a next gen gameplay showcase. It's insane that you are retroactively convincing yourself that you knew it was a current gen AA show.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does next-gen merely mean graphics to some of you complaining this wasn't 'next-gen' enough?

Gameplay systems-wise, there was some promising stuff on display.

Oct 24, 2019
And people are claiming to not understand why people think the show was bad.

I think we need to realize that expectations are a huge thing on Era and it leads to Hella rage in these situations. Thankfully Shinobi was able to contain the excitement a bit because I feel this would be worse if most people were going full steam into today.

Yeah, for sure. Though unfortunately his disclaimer came at like the 11th hour, so most people had already passed the point of no return in terms of hype by then lol.

Microsoft also didn't do themselves any favors by saying things like "this will be our biggest Inside Xbox ever" haha

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020
Let's not forget guys these aren't even the premiere 3rd party studio reveals. Let's not judge next gen on small developers showing.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Phil Spencer has been talking smooth for 6 years and gamers are still lapping it up.

Whoops, sorry. What I meant to say is - He's such a solid bro. You can really tell he's one of us. Would so love to just have a beer and shoot the shit with my buddy Phil. So solid.
Spot on. Dude is one of the finest snake oil salesmen in the industry.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a show in June? And is July's 1st party blow out a Inside Xbox or it's own thing ?

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
It felt pretty generic most of the games.

Dirt 4 seemed like an expansion for Horizon 4 xD, It first I thought: Yeah!, but them... aw! :( I rather prefer F1 or Grid from Codemasters.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a handful of titles, the first two years of next gen are going to be rough. Probably worse than the opening years of this gen.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I wasn't expecting much but this was a strange way to show off next gen games. On one hand I'm very glad to see smaller devs getting such a big stage. On the other hand, none of these games seemed next gen at all. Obviously their main event will be much bigger but I can't help but wonder if the virus made such an impact that it would have been wiser to not advertise this as a next gen show but as a current gen show full of games that'll get free Series X upgrades.

With that in mind, I think fans of both consoles should be much more realistic; we are not going to get proper next gen gameplay for quite some time yet. The global pandemic has thrown a major spanner into the works and I think August or even September could be when we see the full PS5 unveil; I could see the Xbox July event getting pushed a bit as well

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was not hyped a lot though. People hyped themselves up, only to be invariably disappointed. Never change ERA :)

It didn't matter is was not hyped, people had expectations, people that don't have a bunch of insiders telling them to temper expectations were expecting their first look on the new brand shiny next-gen era. They didn't get that, so they are disappointed.

We already did this dance with the PS5 presentation. It doesn't matter the intention, what matters is how you communicate it.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One or two graphical showcases will be enough. Horizon 2 alone would probably do the trick because that might look amazing. It's not about showing "only true next gen games". It's about the way how they present the games and the right mixture. That Killzone Shadow fall presentation for example was a great way to introduce the PS4 and I am sure we will see something similar for the PS5.

Showing "enhanced" current gen quickly cut "gameplay" - trailers won't do it for most people.

This right here they just need one graphical show piece. This show would have been better with a mix of first party games to be honest. Some of the stuff looked good here, but even then all that can be bought on the PS5.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the fuck yeah Scorn lives. That one game had me seriously looking at PC gaming again..that it's coming to next gen consoles is nice.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I thought seeing Yakuza shown on an Xbox show was pretty incredible. But yeah, if you were expecting something like e3, this isn't it. The yakuza guy did the thing with his mask still attached. Like, things have shifted.
Well they said 3rd party, i was under the impression that most of not all was to the likes of ubi/WB ect. But it was basically an indie showcase with 2 big games sprinkled in. Yakuza was nice for xbox.

DIdnt expect an e3 lite but i was kinda underwhelmed that everything was 30fps dispite ms promoting up to 120fps. I expected most if not all smaller indie games to at least hit 60 fps. If they where 60, why stream in 30 tbh.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Allright man, you don't have to. If you take graphics, facial animation, animation in general and the whole look of lighting for example, I just think that overall RDR2 and Tlou2 are way way better looking.
Odyssey on PC is an incredible looking game. I do think RDR2 looks better overall (it's probably the best looking game from a purely techincal perspective) but I definitely wouldn't say "way way better". I don't think the comparison to LoU is fair either because of its scope. It might be Naughty Dog's largest game but Odyssey is freaking huge.

Oct 25, 2017
Those sure were some video games.

You can't really expect much with everything that's going on, but it was pretty bad.

It was especially annoying starting everything with a bland looking shooter with horribly over the top "next-gen" weather effects that prevented you from actually seeing what was going on.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The streaming quality was awful and Mixer shit the bed on 1080. At least stream it in 4K

So whilst it was hard to see the full detail, most if not all looked current gen (disclaimer: they all were cross gen after all, but despite the "lick of next gen paint" still left a lot to be desired)and some looked plain bad even for current gen.

Bit of a faux pas as a first look at next gen really. As a video reel, amongst showing something special, it wouldn't have been an issue, but as a standalone, "this is the new Xbox everyone", it was vastly disappointing.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
What? No one knew that.
We were told that it would be a next gen gameplay showcase. It's insane that you are retroactively convincing yourself that you knew it was a current gen AA show.
No, we were told all games would be Series X enhanced. Which means that they will also be releasing on the base Xbox One as well.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I can understand the disappointment. When you hype this up as the "first reveal" of Series X games first impressions are going to matter a lot. I was hoping for bigger third party games.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
The games were fine, some will probably even be really good, and to be honest it's what I most expect from third parties in the first year or so of next gen, it's the messaging that was a misfire if that's all they had to show, and MS has been more on point about that of late.
Agreed, I'm buying like 3 of these games but they're not stuff I expected to be highlighted like this. No wow factor at all.
Guess I'll see you all in 2 months.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Man, I really think a lot of you guys are just jaded with gaming or something. The show was fine, hell it was great for an Inside Xbox.
I'm not sure where these crazy expectations for Next-Gen are even coming from, especially half a year away from it, let alone one year in.

There's been silence so long that all I wanted was trailers. And they sure delivered there.