• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
"Part of the reason we wanted to add dimensionality as a theme is, it's wide open. This is one of the few franchises that can get away with doing anything. We can basically do whatever we want. And being able to transport players nearly instantaneously, which is a huge, new feature of the PlayStation 5, that was something that we were aiming to do and really capitalise on. And I will say, even hearing about how fast it was, I was blown away when we saw how fast it actually was."

DualSense
"What you don't get to see, of course, is that you can also feel this [rift] coming [with the PS5 DualSense controller] – like, the energy of a portal is sort of its own unique sensation. You get a sense of the distance of it, because the haptics add so much sort of texture to that experience," adds game director Mike Daly. "And the same goes for 3D spatial audio. Basically, you know, all the other new channels of feedback we have, reinforce this notion that you are passing through this portal."

"The fact that we can layer haptics as a new channel of feedback over everything, all parts of core gameplay stand up," explains Daly. "For example, for traversal, now you get this extra layer of feedback when you attach to a grind rail or switch, or if there's a huge car incoming. You get that extra layer of feedback when you swing on a swing shot. You can sort of feel his acceleration, and the wind blowing past. It just gives you an enhanced sense of velocity that you don't fully realise just from the visuals and the audio. So it enhances traversal, and it greatly enhances weapons. It enhances the UI – just all parts of it feel a little bit better than they ever have before, just thanks to this new, ever-present thing."

Story
"And with Rift Apart, we're trying to tell a story that involved seeing another version of these characters, who have never really become the heroes that they could be. So we immediately started talking about this duality of multiple dimensions. And then, of course, we already had this device from the franchise that does what we need it to do. So we've spun a yard that incorporates the Dimensionator."

"And, it helps a lot that the Dimensionator adds so much to Ratchet's story" adds Daly, "because it gives us a lot of intriguing clips to drive that character forward and let him grow."
"I will say that in the dimension that Ratchet is from and that we are used to, that very well could be a rule of Lombax physiology," laughs Smith when I ask him about it, although he says the team isn't ready to start talking about the intricacies of her character or how she'll play just yet.

Weapons
"We had been brainstorming tonnes and tonnes of super-fun, exciting ideas that got thrown at the wall. We decided, right there, that we need to make five sequels, [just] so that we can make all these weapons. But we ultimately have to pick one, and the Topiary Sprinkler stood out," says Daly. "My favourite part about the weapon is that now that we have all this extra power and fidelity of 4K graphics on the PS5, you can make it actually feel like topiary sculptures, because topiaries have these tiny, little, detailed leaves that aren't just a flat mesh."

www.gamesradar.com

Inside Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PS5 support, biggest new features, and the mysterious new female Lombax

Insomniac talks heroes, villains, weapons, and the all-important PS5 hardware

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The haptic usage sounds great, but hopefully they also use the gyroscope as an option (flick stick as well, but that can be assumed as part of my request at this point).

Also, I'm kinda surprised that the female lombax doesn't have a revealed name yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope all the extraneous DualSense stuff can be turned off. It just feels utterly meaningless to me.

Past that, I kinda hope they talk about more weapons soon. The Topiary Sprinkler is cool, but the other weapons in the demo are stock "default" R&C weapons (blaster and grenade are basically series staples at this point) and they don't really show off anything exciting.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The haptic usage sounds great, but hopefully they also use the gyroscope as an option (flick stick as well, but that can be assumed as part of my request at this point).

Also, I'm kinda surprised that the female lombax doesn't have a revealed name yet.
Yeah seeing them enter a rift and slowly turn around because of the analog turn speed is awkward. It's probably not to people that haven't been messing with gyro and flick stick but on PC all my games can have that, and I've been doing it for years with the Steam Controller. Get on this Insomniac!

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I really hope all the extraneous DualSense stuff can be turned off. It just feels utterly meaningless to me.

Past that, I kinda hope they talk about more weapons soon. The Topiary Sprinkler is cool, but the other weapons in the demo are stock "default" R&C weapons (blaster and grenade are basically series staples at this point) and they don't really show off anything exciting.

I hear ya. I guess everyone has a preference. Ever since StarFox 64 released with the rumble pak I have loved rumble. It was very disappointing when PS3 initially did not come with a rumble controller. I love the HD rumble in the joycons and very much look forward to the dualsense rumble experience across various games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hear ya. I guess everyone has a preference. Ever since StarFox 64 released with the rumble pak I have loved rumble. It was very disappointing when PS3 initially did not come with a rumble controller. I love the HD rumble in the joycons and very much look forward to the dualsense rumble experience across various games.

I don't mind rumble as a concept, I just don't feel any particular need for these hyper-specific rumble features. At the end of the day I'm not going to remember the WAY the controller rumbled for a specific action so it feels like something that just exists to drain the battery faster.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Was it very strong and how loud were the drivers buzz?

I love the haptic sensation on the Steam Controller for roller ball (this is required to get a feel of a spinning ball with mouse look on the touch pad). However Steam Controller's simulated rumble is so violent and loud, even on it's low settings that I contemplate just turning it off. I believe Dual Sense will handle it more like Steam Controller's roller ball feel than it's experimental* rumble simulation.

Jan 11, 2018
Well, that all just sounds freaking fantastic. I'm really curious about all the haptic feedback stuff. So far I feel like the Switch Joycons have left something to be desired in that regard. [

QUOTE="PeakPointMatrix, post: 43766408, member: 4481"]
This and Crash Bandicoot are my most hyped games right now. Can't wait.
[/QUOTE]

Same here. They both look so, soooooo good.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Will be my first Ratchet game. Seems really fun, I've watched my brother play through the series. I'm excited for the humor, Quark and Dr. Nefarious.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Insomniac,

Please name her Ratchette so I dont have to edit all of my fanfic.

Thanks,
Fisty

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I wonder How many new weapons there will be in the game.
Really hyped for this game.
I never was a huge fan but recently reinstalled the PS4 game and played till platinum.
Such a fun and beautiful game.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

lol...

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just stop.

Insomniac is one of the more creative studios in this industry. I'm really excited to go hands on with their PS5 offerings. Seeing what other developers have created with the new tools often informs your approach in the future.

I definitely believe that's going to be the case on the DualSense front.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind rumble as a concept, I just don't feel any particular need for these hyper-specific rumble features. At the end of the day I'm not going to remember the WAY the controller rumbled for a specific action so it feels like something that just exists to drain the battery faster.
Wait, you think all the DualSense has is better rumble?

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

Disagree entirely, I still vividly remember the usage of rumble in many games, MGS probably being the standout one. I think hyper specific feedback will only create more moments like that, I honestly can't see how it can detract in any way,

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Even if you don't I do. In madden for example when punting the ball it gives you a light rumble when you are close to out of bounds. Stuff like that while small helps with gameplay. i expect way more functions with directional rumble. Like in a FPS you get sound, rumble or visual to know someone is nearby. Rumble has a lot of good applications if applied right and I think this rumble will help a lot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you don't I do. In madden for example when punting the ball it gives you a light rumble when you are close to out of bounds. Stuff like that while small helps with gameplay. i expect way more functions with directional rumble. Like in a FPS you get sound, rumble or visual to know someone is nearby. Rumble has a lot of good applications if applied right and I think this rumble will help a lot.

Which is why I said I hope players have the option to turn it off. That way you can use it if you care about it, and I don't have to have my controller's battery life wasted by a feature that does nothing for me.

We both win.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had a Switch long enough to know that pumped-up haptic feedback does not provide any meaningful value for me as a player. Sony's solution is not changing my mind on this.

You're still speaking from ignorance because you don't know how the DS5 is compared to the switch

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I am probably most excited for the controller more than any other thing when it comes to gen (outside of the actual games of course)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone on this forum has actually tried the controller with the game (except for jstevenson, of course). I think that PlanetSmasher just generally doesn't like rumble / haptic feedback from the controllers.

This is the long and short of it. I really don't want to argue with people about the fact that I don't get value out of haptic feedback. Just give players the option to use it or disable it at their convenience and everyone is happy.

Now can we please talk about Ratchet and Clank? I want to see more weapons sooner rather than later.

Oct 24, 2019
People are sleeping so hard on the DualSense features.

I have a feeling that games taking advantage of the in-depth haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will become commonplace going forward. It'll be the next iteration upon controller rumble.

Rumble could have just been a fad, but it's become basically ubiquitous, and I see these features going the same route, just because of how organically and flexibly they can be integrated into any given game.

People like to cite the lightbar and the touchpad of the DS4 and how those didn't get utilized much outside of first party games, but honestly the lightbar was always intended more for VR use than for any flat screen gimmick (like the flashing red & blue when you're chased by cops in GTA). What you can do with a lightbar is much more limited than what you can do with haptic feedback.

The way I think of it is like: if you're a studio making a game where you spend 90% of your time shooting guns, swinging swords, shooting bows, driving cars, walking on different terrain, etc. and you have the ability to make those crucial gameplay elements feel that much more immersive for the player why wouldn't you implement that? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I think we'll see a paradigm shift with these features, but maybe I'm just being overly optimistic :p

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone on this forum has actually tried the controller with the game (except for jstevenson, of course). I think that PlanetSmasher just generally doesn't like rumble / haptic feedback from the controllers.
I don't as well, but I can't imagine using the steam controller without the roller ball feel like I said. It's vital to the sensation and the judgement of the resistance .. fake resistance of the mouse look and control. It's also good for learning to use the pad. It's not a rumble but a sensation.

Click a button on a keyboard on your phone with haptics on, vs holding your phone when you get a call with vibrate on. Totally different. One is annoying, and one helps you feel what's not there. The roller ball has a continuous feel but it's nothing like Steam Controller's experimental rumble simulation (very annoying).

Last edited:

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
The first I am going to do is to turn off all those gimmick controller features.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
People are sleeping so hard on the DualSense features.

I have a feeling that games taking advantage of the in-depth haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will become commonplace going forward. It'll be the next iteration upon controller rumble.

Rumble could have just been a fad, but it's become basically ubiquitous, and I see these features going the same route, just because of how organically and flexibly they can be integrated into any given game.

People like to cite the lightbar and the touchpad of the DS4 and how those didn't get utilized much outside of first party games, but honestly the lightbar was always intended more for VR use than for any flat screen gimmick (like the flashing red & blue when you're chased by cops in GTA). What you can do with a lightbar is much more limited than what you can do with haptic feedback.

The way I think of it is like: if you're a studio making a game where you spend 90% of your time shooting guns, swinging swords, shooting bows, driving cars, walking on different terrain, etc. and you have the ability to make those crucial gameplay elements feel that much more immersive for the player why wouldn't you implement that? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I think we'll see a paradigm shift with these features, but maybe I'm just being overly optimistic :p
It also helps that Nintendo has their own version, and I think the Steam controller has something similar. The more this becomes widespread among console makers, the more third party devs will find using it worthwhile.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
The DS things sounds amazing. Can't wait to see how developers will use it their games.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
This and demon's souls for launch window would be an amazing introduction to next gen. I'm on the fence considering its not a launch game but with tight stock and the game being out within three months of the console launching I might still day 1.