• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
www.politico.com

Inside Joe Biden’s plan to avoid a midterm ‘shellacking’

Presidents traditionally get pummeled in the off years. Especially those in their first term. But Team Biden has a plan. And some Dems are cautiously optimistic.

Biden is also committed to pumping resources into state Democratic parties that atrophied during the Obama years, according to a Biden official, cognizant of the shortcomings of the last Democratic president's approach. Rather than build out his own infrastructure, like Obama did, his team is in conversations with battleground state directors about the upcoming midterms and preparing to bulk up outreach to rural voters, with early conversations about having Agriculture secretary nominee Tom Vilsack serve as a possible surrogate.

The strategizing comes as the Democratic Party navigates a new, unsettled landscape, with lingering questions about whether Biden intends to run for a second term. The stakes are high for the party, which must figure out how to keep a congressional majority in both houses and also contend with reapportionment in two years.

No modern president has had a successful first midterm absent George W. Bush in the wake of 9/11. After Obama's "shellacking," Trump was pummeled during the 2018 elections.

Biden is preparing to push populist themes, like larger stimulus checks and mass vaccination programs for Covid-19 relief. Democrats believe they are the kinds of policies that could bring more immediate political returns than a sweeping overhaul of the health care system, which became a short-term liability for the party in 2010.

The focus on opening schools, small businesses and stadiums by the fall "is ultimately going to dominate the 2022 cycle in the same way that health care did in 2010," said Tom Perriello, the former Democratic congressman from Virginia, who lost his seat that cycle.

"It's worth underscoring, typically when a presidential campaign rolls in, they sweep the dishes off the table before setting up the new places," said Wikler. "With the Biden campaign, they deeply integrated with infrastructure that state parties have been building for years."

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea how Biden and his administration are going to juggle everything that needs to be done after the last 4 disastrous years but what I'm hearing so far is great.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Good to start now. These days we can't let up or we will lose, we have to keep everyone invested and bought in. Otherwise fascists will gain control again.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
This is the one reason that Biden is the right guy for the job. Being angry at the GOP isn't gonna fuel every election, even though it feels like neglect on his part.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Woo farmers back. Talk to them plainly about the hurt the tariffs have done, and the need for a strong industry, etc. if you get this or a similar message out, the GOP has no chance.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
I was about to say "have Stacy Abrams form a nationwide team" but I think that she has her own aspirations.

also I think that midterms will have huge turnouts with no Trump on the Republican side.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be pretty hard to avoid mid-term losses. In my lifetime, the president's party has lost every first mid-term except for one, the election immediately following 9/11 which largely preserved the status quo (at least I think ... Assuming GH Bush lost seats in 1990? I was a child so I don't remember)

Benefitting Democrats are a few things:

- The Senate map is favorable for Democrats in 2022. It's not a homerun, but it's favorable. We're likely to pick up Pat Toomey's R seat in Pennsylvania as he retired. And Ron Johnson is an unpopular shithead in a state that leans D, Wisconsin. Those at +2, and while I think Warnock's seat is at risk in a midterm it might not necessarily be.

- The Trump affect. In the era of Trump, whenever he's not on the ballot, Republicans get destroyed. Ivanka will probably try to primary Marco Rubio, and it throws that race into a toss-up instead of lean R if she does. Trump may syphon votes away from Republicans who have given up on the democratic process because they feel like their godking got cheated by satan.

- An understated factor benefiting Democrats is that Biden will be the first president since ... like George HW Bush who actually has legitimate, lengthy experience in Washington and the legislative bodies, and the first Democrat since Lyndon Johnson to have that sort of experience. Since Nixon, every newly elected president has had very little experience in Washington, with the exception of one, George HW Bush.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
All the "make Stacey Abrams run everything" takes are sort of understandable given how she's widely credited for delivering the Senate to the Democrats. But local and state electoral politics don't just scale easily nationwide, and she's not the only person able to sign people up to vote. Abrams is better off doing what she is proven to be great at and continue building up the Georgia network.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Hope he's successful, I hope the last 4 years has waken democrats up and they won't just fall back to sleep like they did in 2010.

After 2018 and the Georgia runoffs I wonder if Trump was a singularity after all. It's not just about lower turnout without him but more understandable and predictable turnout. Statistics and polling seem to be effective still when "literally hiding under rocks" Trump voters aren't involved.

That would at least give dems better intelligence going into midterms, if they're going to be serious about this.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Man, Biden would be on the lookout for a shellacking, or a drubbing, or possibly even a varnishing. He's totally that guy.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
All the "make Stacey Abrams run everything" takes are sort of understandable given how she's widely credited for delivering the Senate to the Democrats. But local and state electoral politics don't just scale easily nationwide, and she's not the only person able to sign people up to vote. Abrams is better off doing what she is proven to be great at and continue building up the Georgia network.

100%. The sentiment I totally get, and she deserves so much praise and is awesome for what she did. But we need people similar to Abrams who can build their parties. I'm honestly embarrassed as a Floridian that Georgia did what it did way quicker than we did. Democrats here are always stunned at how they can't quite finish, and one problem is that the party seems weak top to bottom.

Stacey Abrams is an exceptional person. We need to find more exceptional people in these states that are winnable.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
What was that lesson? Didn't follow politics during Obama era like I do now so not sure what Dems did that f'ed em up.
Obama won in 2008 in part because he built his own network of organisers. After he took over the party, the party dismantled that network in favour of going back to their pre-Obama operatives. They probably would have taken a hit in the 2010 midterms no matter what, especially with all the FUD about the ACA, but the combination of those two things was absolutely catastrophic.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
What was that lesson? Didn't follow politics during Obama era like I do now so not sure what Dems did that f'ed em up.

They pursued, prior to 2008, a "50 state strategy" that led to massive gains in state legislatures, Congress, and a decisive presidential win. After building up huge House majorities and a huge Senate majority, they lost countless governors' mansions, state legislatures, and the House in 2010 in time for gerrymandering, with much politics being about states pushing back against Obama since they had clear Republican control. By the time 2017 hit, Republicans had trifectas in countless states, including decently populated ones, while Democrats had a sliver of power anywhere in the country.

They stopped the 50 state strategy and concentrated too much on getting Obama reelected, which I remember reading about around the beginning of his first term. Most parties do lose part of their power, but Obama/Democratic losses were historically huge.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe they abandoned the Obama apparatus. The Dems are a mess at times.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
Thanks for the info guys. I remember how much of a number Dems had over the Republicans back in the day. It's a miracle we have control of both Congress and the presidency again lol.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Obama won in 2008 in part because he built his own network of organisers. After he took over the party, the party dismantled that network in favour of going back to their pre-Obama operatives. They probably would have taken a hit in the 2010 midterms no matter what, especially with all the FUD about the ACA, but the combination of those two things was absolutely catastrophic.

I always point to this:

ZHLUdPF.png

Republicans controlled all branches of nearly half the US states, and in the states with divided government, they frequently had two of the three IIRC. Some of it has historical precedence, but this was historically a huge loss by the time Obama left.

This is how it is now:

BTwBo0X.png

Republicans actually gained full control in Montana and New Hampshire in 2020 after divided government prior to the elections.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
They pursued, prior to 2008, a "50 state strategy" that led to massive gains in state legislatures, Congress, and a decisive presidential win. After building up huge House majorities and a huge Senate majority, they lost countless governors' mansions, state legislatures, and the House in 2010 in time for gerrymandering, with much politics being about states pushing back against Obama since they had clear Republican control. By the time 2017 hit, Republicans had trifectas in countless states, including decently populated ones, while Democrats had a sliver of power anywhere in the country.

They stopped the 50 state strategy and concentrated too much on getting Obama reelected, which I remember reading about around the beginning of his first term. Most parties do lose part of their power, but Obama/Democratic losses were historically huge.

In 2010 Republicans were able to successfully blame Obama for the poor economy and massive budget deficit which was entirely due to mistakes made by the Bush admin.

If the Biden admin can get Covid under control in 2021, the economy at the end of 2022 should be in good shape.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
In 2010 Republicans were able to successfully blame Obama for the poor economy and massive budget deficit which was entirely due to mistakes made by the Bush admin.

If the Biden admin can get Covid under control in 2021, the economy at the end of 2022 should be in good shape.

Democrats also had no strategy to counter it. They did things and then didn't run on them; the joke at the time was that Republicans were running on components of the stimulus bill more than Democrats were. The losses were also not contained to 2010. The economy was showing plenty of signs of gaining in 2014 and they still suffered deep losses that left them with nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
It's simple, keep the Dem base energized. Give us what we want and need, help. Healthcare, student loans, college, infrastructure, marijuana, its so damn easy. Stop bowing down to your corporate and wealthy overlords.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna keep saying it. Democrats aren't for anything. Republicans have a platform and run on it. Voters don't know what Democrats are for because the Dems are so scared of actually having an opinion. Medicare for All and Green New Deal are slam dunks with the American people if you keep hammering the benefits. They want to play the Republican personality game, and get voted in on feelings. A $15 minimum wage won in Florida alongside Trump, who was against a $15 minimum wage. Biden is now for a $15 minimum wage nationally.

Impeachment #2 was a once in 200 years opportunity following the attempted coup by the president of the United States, and the Dems waited around a few days to see if Mike Fucking Pence would do the right thing. Impeachment should have been on the floor no later than 24 hours after the House was back in session after the coup. Yeah, maybe you lose "moderates", but you embolden the base and improve outreach. Look at Georgia 2021 - the win was in outreach (more Dem voters than Biden 2020), not converting these mythical Republicans to Biden voters while they vote Republican downticket.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Obama passed the ACA and other good policy initiatives, but spent no time promoting why these policies matter to rural voters, which allowed the GOP to define them as bad for those voters and it worked.

The accusation would be that Democrats are aloof, which isn't unfair, but the larger issue is that completely writing off red districts for any messaging has carry over penalties that the Democratic party seems to not understand.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Look at how they flipped Georgia and Arizona. Find people that can help from the ground level in other battleground states. It won't be easy but democratic outreach in red states in particular sucks.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Obama not pumping resources into state and local Democratic parties was one of his big mistakes of his administration. Good to see Biden learning from those mistakes.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
This is the way to do it tbh. If he can address a lot of these fundamental operational mishaps it's better for everyone.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Obama not pumping resources into state and local Democratic parties was one of his big mistakes of his administration. Good to see Biden learning from those mistakes.
This is quite possibly the biggest failing of of the Democratic party apparatuses. The old guard of the Democratic party are so focused on the short term that they have no vision on long term trends.

Fortunately Biden seems to understand this, I assume the loss of rural, but union Dems in Pennsylvania was educational in this regard. Newer members like AOC seem to understand this as well.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I always point to this:

ZHLUdPF.png

Republicans controlled all branches of nearly half the US states, and in the states with divided government, they frequently had two of the three IIRC. Some of it has historical precedence, but this was historically a huge loss by the time Obama left.

This is how it is now:

BTwBo0X.png

Republicans actually gained full control in Montana and New Hampshire in 2020 after divided government prior to the elections.
This is the biggest argument for an aggressive VRA that includes mandates that a bi-partisan commission complete redistricting in states. This will run into incumbent resistance, but I suspect the House might be primed now to consider this as a way to blunt ultra-political hard R districts.

Hope they truly learned from their mistakes of being lacks. Even in place that are very hard left like New York, things can happen that could push people in the wrong direction like making small mistakes or just not doing any sort of pushing. Grassroots movements is the best way to get certain divided groups of people to get the right info like in Georgia.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see an actual vision of relief and sustainability for a future of pandemics.
I have been reading all the clippings of Sanders and Biden teaming up for an aggressive plan to push through a budget, but the more aggressive policies like a temporary healthcare system to get people a taste of something like single payer sound tenuous while something that would have passed a GOP senate if a vote was allowed $1400 more is the big headliner.

I also think overhauling the healthcare system could work if there were tangible benefits right away. It took a long time for ACA to pass after prolonged "negotiations" and additional time for any of the benefits to actually reach voters. I think that should be the strategy. You shouldn't throw out the idea of directly addressing the broken healthcare system because you botched the actual policy and rollout last time.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The fact that they are considering this years before the fact, when traditionally dems have sort of fixated a bit too much on the presidential race, is very good to see.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stacey was also responsible for registering hundreds of thousands of voters in other swing states. As far as knowing what it takes to win across the nation, she's the best the democratic party has.

On a "what are her politics" level, she backed Bloomberg in the primary. So, to be blunt, I'd prefer her in a role like DNC chair to governor of GA as she'd do more good in the former role. But, she's earned her pick of spots.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think Abrams needs to run the party's campaigning infrastructure, she has her own aspirations. Just look at what was successful in Georgia, and copy it where you can. It's pretty clear from what happened there, and what happened in November, knocking on doors is actually tremendously important.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
early conversations about having Agriculture secretary nominee Tom Vilsack serve as a possible surrogate.

I appreciate the sentiment and the strengthening of state parties, but also, whoever came up with this idea is a dumbass lol

if you're trying to reach out to farm country, your best move is probably to put tom vilsack in a crate and ship him halfway across the ocean

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I'm gonna keep saying it. Democrats aren't for anything. Republicans have a platform and run on it. Voters don't know what Democrats are for because the Dems are so scared of actually having an opinion. Medicare for All and Green New Deal are slam dunks with the American people if you keep hammering the benefits. They want to play the Republican personality game, and get voted in on feelings. A $15 minimum wage won in Florida alongside Trump, who was against a $15 minimum wage. Biden is now for a $15 minimum wage nationally.

Impeachment #2 was a once in 200 years opportunity following the attempted coup by the president of the United States, and the Dems waited around a few days to see if Mike Fucking Pence would do the right thing. Impeachment should have been on the floor no later than 24 hours after the House was back in session after the coup. Yeah, maybe you lose "moderates", but you embolden the base and improve outreach. Look at Georgia 2021 - the win was in outreach (more Dem voters than Biden 2020), not converting these mythical Republicans to Biden voters while they vote Republican downticket.
100%. Democrats rely too much on licking their finger and putting it to the wind to decide what and when to do. They are too afraid, and often too ignorant, to take advantage of the fact that good messaging works and you can change public perception to get something done without waiting until 70% of the public has agreed with it for years. Gay marriage was a prime example, the establishment Dems speaking out against doing anything until activists rammed it through the courts and gee wiz all of a sudden the establishment Dems are for it. The Democrats need to grow a fucking spine and start acting instead of reacting, and maybe, just maybe, they'll start crushing it in elections without having to rely on running against absolute monsters.

Oct 26, 2017
Obama got blindsided, as he though the momentum they built in 08 and the obstruction by republicans would be enough to carry districts. Biden was there for that and would be a fool to be that naive again.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
State Democratic Parties are either immense corrupt machines or ineffective cucks.

I wonder if he will be able to break the former.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, given how good the ground game from the Bernie campaign was, I'd recruit him and his organizers into the fold along with Stacey.