• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Cultural appropriation is such a weird USA feeling. Most people in other countries are happy of people enjoying and living their culture.
It is awesome Japanese people enjoy so many other cultures.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
This fascinates me. It reminds me of "gal", the equivalent of scene kids in Japan.

They seem to be handling things respectfully, with a unique Japanese twist on it. I don't think you would meet many US-born Mexicans who would cry foul at foriegners trying to learn their style and culture.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
rockabillyclub3ekp5.jpg
Tunnel snakes rule!

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Far more respectful of the culture than say a true culture vulture like Gwen Stefani

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Saw this yesterday. I wouldn't call it appropriation. They seem to have a deep respect for the culture and it's origins.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
I can't see the cultural appropriation shit anywhere.

I only see just a very respectful apreciation movement to this subculture while most of the world has push all the Chicanos/Latinos as far as possible, making ghettos.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Cultural appropriation is such a weird USA feeling. Most people in other countries are happy of people enjoying and living their culture.
Decades of non-white people being shamed for representing their culture, but when a white person wears it it's "cool".

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It's definitely culture appropriation. It's no different than white girls from Marina Del Rey suddenly speaking in an East LA accent because they date Mexican dudes.(I have experience with these people)

Of course, my 60 year old Mexican mom is never offended by cultural appropriation, she saw the video and thought it was cool.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here I am as a hispanic doing research on Japanese styled shoulder/sleeve tattoos as I might want to get one at some point this year and want to learn more, and in the video we see a man doing hispanic styled tattoo art. This is a little weird for me due to the timing. Now I wonder if it's a big thing for this subculture.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Throughout history white people have treated "exotic" cultures as caricatures in order to other groups of people. It's really not surprising why no one wants to see them get anywhere near them.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize that the effects of appropriation in Japan aren't observable because there isn't a sizeable Chicano population in Japan, right?

You can't be this dense. There's no one to profit off of or undermine or caricaturize or other or gaslight there, so of course it doesn't seem so severe.

There is some respectful stuff in this video though. I liked the artist that wanted to emphasize the importance of family in Chicano culture in his work. And there's nothing wrong with liking lowriders obviously.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why are there so many people crying "see this is not appropriation!!" When no one in the thread has said it is

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Why are there so many people crying "see this is not appropriation!!" When no one in the thread has said it is
White people really don't like having limitations. Being called an appropriator is a social limitation. So even white people who have 0 interest in wearing a kimono for example, are now upset by the idea that they "can't". And will say anything to downplay cultural appropriation as American SJW's gone wild in an effort to remove those limitations from the conversation.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
call me when japan gets even close to getting mexican food right.
I was in Japan for a week not long ago and I couldn't find a good hamburger to save myself there, let alone Mexican food.

I'm sure there must be somewhere in japan that serves good burgers but serves me right, I guess, for expecting a good burger from Tokyo Disneyland or from the hotel I was staying at.

Don't get me wrong. I ate the most amazing meals while in Japan. I love their cuisine so much that i hate myself for ordering two burgers (in two different days) while I was staying over there. They just don't make good burgers, in my experience. I can only imagine what I'd have to go through to find good Mexican food.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to watch this later, have not come across anything like this
call me when japan gets even close to getting mexican food right.
Though I know literally one pretty passable place in Tokyo.

I was in Japan for a week not long ago and I couldn't find a good hamburger to save myself there, let alone Mexican food.

I'm sure there must be somewhere in japan that serves good burgers but serves me right, I guess, for expecting a good burger from Tokyo Disneyland or from the hotel I was staying at.

Don't get me wrong. I ate the most amazing meals while in Japan. I love their cuisine so much that i hate myself for ordering two burgers (in two different days) while I was staying over there. They just don't make good burgers, in my experience. I can only imagine what I'd have to go through to find good Mexican food.
Good hamburgers are not hard to find at all. All next time, sure people in the Japan thread can point you in the right direction

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
That's not how appropriation works.

And that reasoning, is also used be people in Japan as to why it's ok to use blackface.

If people aren't claiming that a particular culture is of their own creation and they clearly show they understand it's history and origin, what's the problem? Treating it as glorified cosplay or flavor of the month dress up, sure, that's shitty.

Blackface is totally different because it's overtly racist and was intentionally negative. People in Japan are just ignorant of that fact unfortunately.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

There is no good Mexican food here. You can find okay places like El Borracho or Tepito, but I'd basically never go to those restaurants if they were located in Mexico City. It's a shame because there are plenty of great Japanese restaurants in Mexico City :( But then I guess it's just a result of having exponentially more Japanese people living in Mexico than the other way around.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Plenty of good places that serve awesome hamburgers. Expecting that from Disneyland was your mistake, lol.
Disneyland is awesome and I love both resorts, but hamburgers would never come to my mind when thinking about their food :P

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of good places that serve awesome hamburgers. Expecting that from Disneyland was your mistake, lol.
Disneyland is awesome and I love both resorts, but hamburgers would never come to my mind when thinking about their food :P
Disney World in Orlando has the most amazing food options imaginable! I thought what better place than the American utopia that's Disneyland in Tokyo to try an American burger especially since I've had incredible meals in Orlando's park. I was wrong. The one thing I was underwhelmed about Tokyo Disneyland was the food.

I only ate at quick service restaurants so I'm sure the table service and more expensive options have to be better though.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no good Mexican food here. You can find okay places like El Borracho or Tepito, but I'd basically never go to those restaurants if they were located in Mexico City. It's a shame because there are plenty of great Japanese restaurants in Mexico City :( But then I guess it's just a result of having exponentially more Japanese people living in Mexico than the other way around.
Wanna hear something depressing? I had a guide from Tokyo who spoke English one day and somehow ended up talking about our tastes in food. Long story short he honest-to-goodness thought Taco Bell was Mexican food. Not only that, when I corrected him by telling him it couldn't be farther from the truth, he told me he knew that many, probably most Japanese people, if asked, would tell you they thought Taco Bell was authentic Mexican food.

Needless to say I was heart broken.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I'm Mexican American myself and grew up with a good amount of my family following the low rider / street culture and this shit is offensive as hell. "Chicano" culture became really wide spread during the civil rights era and theres absolutely no reason anyone outside of it should try to adopt it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I remember the first time I visited Japan. Was dicking around in Tokyo and I found a place serving Mexican food, while I was on a night time escapade. I got interested and decided to check the place out. Then I saw hamburgers on the menu. I immediately swore off ever having Mexican food in Japan on the spot.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of Mexico City, is it wrong that I am addicted to a chain restuarant there? I go to legit places - from street carts to high end MX cuisine in hotels and everything in between, but I am completely adicted to Tacos Califas [sp?] and tbh, everything there tastes fantastic and it's just an easy place to go grab lunch or a late night snack.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My question is: Is the subculture that the Japanese express a Japanese thing, or just something every country does but no one reports on? I'm sure there's chicano/cowboy/etc. subcultures in say, Europe, but do they go as far into it as the Japanese? If not, why not?

Also to continue giving examples - one of the most influential books on modern menswear was a study on classic Ivy League style by a Japanese: https://www.amazon.com/Take-Ivy-Shosuke-Ishizu/dp/1576875504 back in 1965!

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Yeah it's wild, it makes me wonder what other odd subcultures might exist in Japan. I want to believe there's one centered around American country music, hunting, and rural culture

There's a group of mid-40s rockabillies with gelled hair and leather jackets that dance in Yoyogi park every weekend

It's bizarre