• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
Content complete is good, that means they can concentrate their effort in polishing. I want that end of trailer enemy monologue to look totally different from what we had last time (if it's still in the game) :d
It also means that Joseph S loved what he played etc. So much of the idiot panic when he was hired was "it'll need rebuilding from the start! The game doesn't work!" Or whatever. Which clearly isn't the case.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It's weird, but the more they update the community the less excited I get for this game. Regardless of how rough certain bits of the demo looked, it did have interesting ideas and an interesting direction. Be it aesthetics or gameplay-wise. But every update feels like they are making the game more and more generic as they try and address each and every demo criticism.

Just show me new gameplay and especially multiplayer gameplay. And stop with the gun renders that seem to get more overdesigned with each and every render we get.
╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭ What ya gonna do. Sometimes, the hype cycle gets too long and this will inevitably happen.

I, for one, love the detail in this and I really enjoy all these updates. I was sober but still very optimistic after the demo. I think the renders look fantastic and I look forward to seeing the gameplay view models. I think the details suggest the opposite of generic. I loved the hints at how they're playing with physics in the demo, and they're hinting real hard in that direction now. Great!

I'm with you that I don't think the assets need to be pristine for this to be a good game. But I will be very happy to see the art and style allow the world, environment, and story to shine in the best light possible.

EVAC434

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow the weapons look very good, especially the AR. I really really hope that there will be enough ammo around to actually use it this time. In previous games the lack of ammo was such a letdown.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It also means that Joseph S loved what he played etc. So much of the idiot panic when he was hired was "it'll need rebuilding from the start! The game doesn't work!" Or whatever. Which clearly isn't the case.
mmm yeah I never really have problem with Halo Infinite (or the previous ones) gameplay anyway. What we've seen so far seems pretty good.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It might be a small thing, I dunno, but I'm super excited Joe Staten is back on Halo.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
  • Outstanding renders and art
  • Long deep-dive on how the sandbox team is respecting the original Halo formula and dynamics while evolving it and enriching it further;
  • Much higher importance of traversal with vehicles, now also to overcome terrains impossible to surpass by foot;
  • Grand return of known vehicles + new additions;
  • Many different equipments to disrupt known combat rules;
  • Easy access and intuitive use of all weapons/vehicles/equipment for newcomers (with no redundancy) while making them hard to master at the same time in order to empower skilled players;
  • Weapon Class/Material-based damage is back;
  • Game is actually Content Complete, with this last year entirely focused on fine tuning and polish of EVERY aspect of the game until launch;
  • Dramatically overhauled visuals in 6 months since the demo + new trailer/footage to be shown in summer;
  • Halo Insider now accept Series X|S enrolling, and public flights/beta confirmed before launch;
  • Community feedback loop will be crucial for 343i to constantly improve Infinite by launch and for the years after, and it will be the first Halo to continue expand/evolve in a way never seen before for the saga.

What a great update.
If we're actually going to have blog post like this every last Thursday of the month 'till launch, well, this will make the wait for Infinite so much less painful for me.

I also enrolled to Xbox Insider registering my Series X, hoping I won't need to also enroll it to Xbox Insider to play Infinite Public Beta (Xbox Insider Enrollment is mandatory only for Xbox One at the moment).

One thing is for sure for now: the Hype is back.
Yeah, agreed, such a great update. Their communication is on point now. Also, don't forget that there will be mid-month Q&As too! So basically new info every two weeks!!

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow the weapons look very good, especially the AR. I really really hope that there will be enough ammo around to actually use it this time. In previous games the lack of ammo was such a letdown.

I have a feeling that this is part of the reason as to why we have an upgrade system and friendly bases/outposts. Curious how both of these will work.

I forgot the Hydra was actually introduced in 5 and would agree it does fill in certain role, so I edited it out of the post initially.

The Bulldog and Commando? If there is only the Bulldog to fill in the role the Mauler did in H3, I will be okay with it, maybe. But the Commando? We already got an SMG for close, AR for close to mid, BR for mid to long and DMR for pure long. And even then, the DMR still kind of conflicts with the BR. Now we got a gun in between the AR and BR? Plus potentially the Carbine or whatever other precision weapon that is coming into the fold? I can't dig it.

If you look at the Halo Infinite campaign gameplay demo, they have shown the VK78 Commando, which is pretty much the USNC version of the Needle Rifle (minus the supercombine explosion) and the Pulse Carbine, which is pretty much the Covenant version of the Battle Rifle, but is powered by energy and not classic ammo.

I think having this variety is fine, as long as you don't overfill MP maps with them.

Last edited:

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I never thought of, I wonder if the return of the old art style also means the multiplayer medals will return to the classic designs too.

It's been eight years so I have gotten used to the blue Double Kill medal, but still... it was iconic in its old yellow color. Would love to see that back.

R5d1cf87075f8dcfb8fd59f8f377ac4ba
Reb2fa1e420a31b84ce31e3c68e1932cf

Jun 17, 2018
One thing I never thought of, I wonder if the return of the old art style also means the multiplayer medals will return to the classic designs too.

It's been eight years so I have gotten used to the blue Double Kill medal, but still... it was iconic in its old yellow color. Would love to see that back.

I hope the old medals come back. New ones are fine but the older ones are much more recognisable to me.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Joe certainly knows how to get people excited. The changes seem positive. I would love a MP beta in late spring/early summer. Also, hopefully they find a way to make fighting Prometheans fun.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

That'd be dope, but please not the ugly, gritty Reach medals. Gimme the Halo 2/3 versions in super clean.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

This is yet an other thing that I could see them monetizing.

zf69

Jan 25, 2021
earth
hopefully they've learned from the issues MCC on pc has had to slowly fix, because i was really turned off from playing that a while because of the high refresh rate issues and general inaccuracies compared to the original games

if i can get the game to run at 120+fps without any visual issues (which i will assume it will since multiplayer is already 120 and that's at 4k) then i think i'm sold, i'm pretty picky about performance in FPS games. i hope they change their mind and make the campaign have an unlocked fps mode with dynamic resolution or something on xbox though, because shooters are just plain better past 60fps

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
The whole damage types discussion has me a little concerned that they're making the sandbox too complicated. For campaign, sure. I can see different weapons working better against different enemies. Standard ammo and plasma always fit well. Giving more purpose to the forerunner weapons will be interesting, but I just hope it doesn't over complicate the MP side of things.
I think it could be cool to have ammo that is better against vehicles for instance. Because in the latest halo games every weapon was good against vehicles and i didnt like that. Especially in BTB it sucks if you get a vehicle and 3 guys shooting you with dmr's across the screen kill you in a few seconds.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The whole damage types discussion has me a little concerned that they're making the sandbox too complicated. For campaign, sure. I can see different weapons working better against different enemies. Standard ammo and plasma always fit well. Giving more purpose to the forerunner weapons will be interesting, but I just hope it doesn't over complicate the MP side of things.
Ultimately it sounds like all this will do is result in more defined roles for each weapon.

Eg: rather than the carbine just being a fast firing DMR we might see some more trade offs/benefits for using one or the other.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
remember people, this still a xbox one game, let's not overhype ourselves for insane mind boggling graphics.

also, i'm very happy to know the weapons will be acquired on map and not some REQ bullshit. hope the AR is viable to use and kill enemies.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
remember people, this still a xbox one game, let's not overhype ourselves for insane mind boggling graphics.

It will be an Xbox One game and an Xbox Series game. There's more than enough time to polish the Series version far and above the xbox one version.

Does anyone really presume that the next Horizon game would not be visually impressive because it's also coming out on PS4?

You're assuming the game was ready in the first place for a fall 2020 release

There's a reason he said 7- 8 months. We're 7-8 months from release. The game is launch content complete. What does Fall 2020 have to do with this?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
It will be an Xbox One game and an Xbox Series game. There's more than enough time to polish the Series version far and above the xbox one version.

Does anyone really presume that the next Horizon game would not be visually impressive because it's also coming out on PS4?

feel free to hope but i'm not overhypying myself with either game, since they are still last gen games with next gen upgrades.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I have criticised 343 before and wanted change in the office, because the showing at E3 after so many years was poor. However these updates are cool and I am more confident 343 can do the job, then I was after the infamous demo. Fingers crossed, they can make their best Halo yet.
It's great to get confirmation the game is pretty much content complete and this whole year is all about tweaking and polish.
I like that and Xbox deserves credit for the decision to delay the game so far out. After the absymal showing (graphics), this was definitely needed.
Also, wording at the start sounds like flighting could potentially be in the June/July/August timeframe?
When I read that I thought it'll be like "Here is the new gameplay demo. Remember to sign up for the flight today" at E3.
remember people, this still a xbox one game, let's not overhype ourselves for insane mind boggling graphics
Horizon Forbidden West among other games showed that cross gen games can look amazing. The trailer certainly did. Just for the record, I don't expect 343 to match Horizon Forbidden West, due to talent and target FPS. But there is the possibility of a nice looking Series version of Halo. 343 showed with Halo 4 that they got it in their locker, even though Halo 5 wasn't that good looking imo.

Last edited:

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I like that and Xbox deserves credit for the decision to delay the game so far out. After the absymal showing (graphics), this was definitely needed.

It was a big call because we all saw how much marketing was revolving around the game. I believe if Microsoft insisted, the game would have been released, but it would have been unpolished and lacking in content and honestly would have done more harm than good.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Happy to hear damage types are going more in depth. Something I've wanted out of the sandbox for a long time because it can easily fix the issues of weapons just being copies of each other.

I also hope the Banshee design in that concept sticks. We need to move on from the Reach design.

Last edited:

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Happy to hear damage types are going more in depth. Something I've wanted out of the sandbox for a long time because it can easily fix the issues of weapons just being copies of each other.

I also hope the Banshee design in that concept sticks. We need to move on from the Reach design.
I thought the same, it looks really cool. It seems like they're going for a blend of the Halo Wars 2 aesthetic and the classic, colorful aesthetic (e.g. Elites come in blue even though most Banished forces were red in HW2), which is fine by me, as long as they find a nice balance. I don't wanna have all enemies be black and red (like in HW2, where it makes perfect sense), but I adore some of the, well, brutal designs in that game, especially the vehicles.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's more "different weapons have really small differences" stuff. Plasma in general doing more damage to shields, but also, the plasma rifle slowed targets, and the AR had some useful interactions with active camo (i.e. fading back into it faster)
Got it. I never noticed down to that level, which is really cool and shows the potential of expanding on it. Tha js

I think it's okay to complicate things, especially because for those that don't want to go deep it will always be "pick whatever weapon you have and shoot the enemy".
I mean, I finished the original trilogy without knowing about plasma pistols destroying shields/vehicles.

I think with the introduction of Equipements/more vehicles the damage type discussion becomes interesting to me. If we have like... 4 big ammo types that counter specific stuff (health, shields, vehicles, equipment, etc...) and then inside each damage type we have specific roles (up close, mid-range, long-range, power weapon, etc...) I can see it being VERY interesting. Remember that the Arena/Big Team Battle gap will widen with this game.

Also remember some of the most famous games in the world are complicated to a certain degree. Fortnite has quite some dept when it comes to their weapons/equipments, all MOBAS (DOTA2, LOL, etc...) are deep as crap, Apex Legends and Siege are complicated.... I think Halo will be fine.

All great points. Would be a great balance where you can be successful with just the basics but being able to master the next level stuff will rightfully give you a proper advantage. The anti-weapon stuff makes a lot of sense too. Appreciate the discussion!

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
God I can't wait to get my hands on this in the Flights. Hopefully sooner than later this year.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020

And Horizon FW is on PS4, yet it still looked incredible from the trailer footage. Miles Morales is on PS4, yet looks amazing (pun maybe intended), on PS5. While I don't expect Infinite to completely match, say, Forbidden West, the recent renders of how 343 have significantly improved the visuals gives me confidence that it'll still be a looker. Just because games are on last gen systems, doesn't mean that devs can't also leverage the extra performance of the new ones.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Does anyone else remember those 3d renders of vehicles and what not that bungiebput out before halo 3? The things that you could rotate around to see the entirety of the model. They should do that again for Halo infinite. It would be a relatively easy way for them to put out "new stuff" that is exciting for fans without really revealing too much.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else remember those 3d renders of vehicles and what not that bungiebput out before halo 3? The things that you could rotate around to see the entirety of the model. They should do that again for Halo infinite. It would be a relatively easy way for them to put out "new stuff" that is exciting for fans without really revealing too much.

The QuickTime videos. God I feel old. 😂

Remember thinking back all that real time lighting talk. I want bloodgulch in the dark and just warthog lights, spartan lights, plasma fire etc. showing the way or maybe have sime illuminating fungus and flies too. It would look so cool and be quite spooky and scary which would make travelling across the open field more cool going base to base in almost pitch dark.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
You're assuming the game was ready in the first place for a fall 2020 release

The sandbox team in the blog post mentions that their launch content is already basically done and in the game, and that they were taking time now to bug squash etc. I'm sure not every team is in exactly the same place, but it certainly suggests many additional months of polishing due to the delay.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I made a post back in the speculation thread about damage types, it now that we know a bit more about Infinite I think it's fun to speculate again on how they would work.

Ballistic: Most UNSC weapons. Standard damage to shields and health. Headshot capable. Small arms to vehicles is weak, large arms more affective.

Plasma: Most Banished weapons. Super effective against shields, health damage stuns. Can't headshot. Super effective against small vehicles and equipment.

Spikes: Brute weapons. Pierce damage through shields, massive health damage. Can headshot. Wrecks all vehicles.

Forerunner: Sentinels are in the game and I'm sure 343 will have new Forerunner weapons hiding on Zeta Halo, and I think they should take on a more power weapon role and be a mix of the previous 3 while also having knock back as a main differentiator. Sentinel beams that can push away Elites and Warthogs, slow the forward progress of a Scorpion or Wraith, and guns that are hyper lethal to everything, like how the Binary and Incineration Cannon are. Turn the Light Rifle into a precision Sentinel Beam/Halo 5 Binary where each shot needs to be held down and has a slow time to kill but can hold back infantry from moving in.

Halo needs more variety in its weapons so that people can more easily find a weapon or class that suits them, like if it were a looter shooter. There can't be AR, Purple AR, and Orange AR anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, but the more they update the community the less excited I get for this game. Regardless of how rough certain bits of the demo looked, it did have interesting ideas and an interesting direction. Be it aesthetics or gameplay-wise. But every update feels like they are making the game more and more generic as they try and address each and every demo criticism.

Just show me new gameplay and especially multiplayer gameplay. And stop with the gun renders that seem to get more overdesigned with each and every render we get.

how is it looking more generic? the game didn't change in it's direction or it's ideas lol maybe it will change on the visuals front, which it needed since it lacked a ton of polish, but it is content complete already

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I thought maybe they meant they were introducing like electrical and fire damage or something. Especially when they referenced more to share later about the fusion coils.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I thought maybe they meant they were introducing like electrical and fire damage or something. Especially when they referenced more to share later about the fusion coils.
Elemental damage would be great as well. Those shock grenades could be thrown in water and kill anyone in it, and the return of Fire bombs and flamethrower would be sick. Changing the base attributes of weapon fire would also shake up the formula without being too far out there for Halo.

Thinking about it, but let's say rain is a dynamic element. You could see puddles form where an enemy camp is, take a shock rifle and zap enemies from afar. Or there is overgrowth and fire can get rid of it opening up a new passage to explore, or you could just burn a forest down like a pyro maniac.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
The QuickTime videos. God I feel old. 😂

Remember thinking back all that real time lighting talk. I want bloodgulch in the dark and just warthog lights, spartan lights, plasma fire etc. showing the way or maybe have sime illuminating fungus and flies too. It would look so cool and be quite spooky and scary which would make travelling across the open field more cool going base to base in almost pitch dark.
One Bungie Weekly Update spent about 1,000 words describing the liquidity and buoyancy of the in-game water, and how the sound adapted when the camera would drop below its surface. That's when I fell off the deep-end over that game. I remember that opening night of the BETA, getting in via fucking Crackdown. Those were the days.