• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Hollow Knight preview ?

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
So the eggs and larvae were placed inside the controller intentionally? For what purpose?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Intentionally introducing non native species of insects and animals to some random place seems kind of fucked.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So the eggs and larvae were placed inside the controller intentionally? For what purpose?

The only thing I can think of is smuggling them illegally.

latest

Since mantids are voracious insect hunters, perhaps they were to be bred and then sold as some kind of natural pest control? I cannot access the article from Europe so I don't know if they say anything about it.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The only thing I can think of is smuggling them illegally.

latest

Since mantids are voracious insect hunters, perhaps they were to be bred and then sold as some kind of natural pest control? I cannot access the article from Europe so I don't know if they say anything about it.
Pets? Yeah, this is an odd one.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I recently took apart mine and cleaned it up a bit. All it had was some grime though.

And please, for all our sakes, nobody post that infested PlayStation picture.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I imagine it was for some collector because otherwise that's a very odd way to try to introduce a non-native invasive species. Glad they caught it though but you wonder how much stuff like this sneaks through without being noticed.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Pets? Yeah, this is an odd one.

That's also a strong possibility:
The majority of mantids in the world are in Asia, where many of them are endangered. For the most part, keeping a mantis that is not a native species of the US is illegal (except for the Chinese, European, and Narrow-winged mantids mentioned above).

Nearly all non-native insects (and other animals) are regulated by the federal government. So, if you wanted to import and keep one of the beautiful Orchid Mantis species, that would be illegal to keep as a pet, unless you got a special permit from the USDA. (Orchid mantids aren't an endangered species.)

And, let's face it, orchid mantii look downright mesmerizing:
96b511d939c7452bc1623f34b844d2ea.jpg

0fdc245cf845bd3ec76a454eb1157cd7.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
When I managed a gamestop, I once had a lady try to trade in some old 360 games, and when she opened the cases a smattering of dead roaches rolled out

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I kind of want a TV show about the inspectors who find shit like this. The process of uncovering these types of smuggling techniques seems fascinating to me.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of want a TV show about the inspectors who find shit like this. The process of uncovering these types of smuggling techniques seems fascinating to me.
Look for a show called "Border Security". From what I know there are shows for Canada, New-Zealand and US customs.

You can see travellers getting caught in all kind of shit, along with shipments.