• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017

This video hits like a ton of bricks, especially the part about seeing your future go up in the flames.

Lock if old.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"Nobody believes in the future anymore" is heartbreakingly accurate to what I've been feeling for the past several years.

Oct 27, 2017
"Nobody believes in the future anymore" is heartbreakingly accurate to what I've been feeling for the past several years.
I've never been a "doom and gloom, the future is fucked" kinda person. I live in a nice area I have an okay job and am (generally) safe and secure.

But after the last few years I have pretty much zero hope for the future. I've always planned on having kids but lately I'm becoming more and more hesitant of bringing a child up in what is increasingly becoming clear as a hopeless world if you're not super super rich. Then there's climate change...

Oct 29, 2017
It's hard to not want to go back...to grab the Gen X teenager and shake them, yelling "What right do you have to be disaffected!?"

But where their parents would say "we had it so much worse in our day", we would say "it will never be this good again."

Ouch.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Same here. Long term it doesn't feel like there is any hope. We needed to as a civilization make fundamental changes decades ago if we wanted to stop climate change killing us all and literally nothing has changed. It's pretty obvious it's going to be our great filter when we kill the plankton in the oceans and the planet runs out of oxygen.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only half way in but its a spot on video at least how I felt about the show when it was airing. I was actually probably a bit too young for Daria when it was airing but a lot of it still rang pretty true even if it was exaggerated for the cartoon sensibilities of the day. That said I did not realize MTV was rebooting Daria and well, its going to be really hard to recapture that tone and writing of the original.

Dec 4, 2017
I'm not entirely fond of the way he dismisses/handwaves sarcastic cynicism.

Zoomers are extremely cynical (when they're not outright angry) because the world they'll grow old in is going to be insanely awful, and there's precious little that can be done to mitigate that. At least we millennials are a bit lucky in that we'll die just before things turn really bad. The poor bastards will spend their late-50s in a shitheap.

Jun 24, 2019
I watched Daria with my aunts when I was little, and rewatched some of it a few years back. It's surreal how relatable and accurate it is.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
So relatable.

I feel like I'm constantly making these exact same points. The cultures of generations and how they relate to each other and the rest of the world are more than just generalizations about people based on the year they were born. As an old Millennial, I'm keenly aware of how not Gen X I am, but also how much more empathetic Millennials are than those who came before and after - even though it's just because we got screwed, and no longer feel segregated by the bubble of class division in which most of us were raised.

Damn though, the part about the 90s being the only decade in which most of the West wasn't engaged in a war with a nebulous enemy is on point. Oof.

I don't want a return to the 90s though, and I never have. I want to leverage Millennial empathy and fucking do something with it, and I hope that movements like BLM, Me Too, and the revelations about social inequality and the massive failings of current systems that had spotlights shone on them during the pandemic, result in major changes to the status quo in a way the hippie movement never did.

Unlike Boomers and Gen X, I guess we don't have to be so worried about becoming corrupted by money! We won't have the opportunity to sell out our principles for a cushy lifestyle.

Oct 27, 2017
Only silver lining is a lot of people got snapped out of it by the trump years and that's how change begins.

Not sure about climate change tho, that's one thing that's inevitable.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a "doom and gloom, the future is fucked" kinda person. I live in a nice area I have an okay job and am (generally) safe and secure.

But after the last few years I have pretty much zero hope for the future. I've always planned on having kids but lately I'm becoming more and more hesitant of bringing a child up in what is increasingly becoming clear as a hopeless world if you're not super super rich. Then there's climate change...
Climate change is a massive reality check for me... even if I find a way to be optimistic about everything else, climate change looms large in the background of my mind, inescapable.

Star Trek used to be an optimistic vision of the far future to reach for, but I dont think anyone sees it as anything close to viable anymore. No one views the future as a place to flourish anymore but as a place to survive.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
He's dead-on when talking about just how stratified the 90s were.
There was so much cultural and 'pop' evolution crammed into a single decade that nostalgia for it is intensely varied.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

People keep bringing up how "every generation thinks it's the end of the world," but humans have never had such concrete, scientific proof of an impending cataclysm. And we're also confronted with evidence on a near-daily basis that we're not going to do nearly enough to avert it. We can't even get people to sit still and wear a goddamn mask for five seconds. Climate change is going to fuck us up.

Oct 27, 2017
People keep bringing up how "every generation thinks it's the end of the world," but humans have never had such concrete, scientific proof of an impending cataclysm. And we're also confronted with evidence on a near-daily basis that we're not going to do nearly enough to avert it. We can't even get people to sit still and wear a goddamn mask for five seconds. Climate change is going to fuck us up.
On top of extreme polarization of society due to politics, the every day slap in the face that the ultra rich will never be held accountable or punished for anything, and that it's blatantly obvious that this class divide will only get worse and worse when the food and water starts running out. It's not being dramatic anymore, it just "is". And it's crushing.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
born in 84, have a sibling born in 72. lots of truth here lol.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to not want to go back...to grab the Gen X teenager and shake them, yelling "What right do you have to be disaffected!?"
It's weird hearing this all the time as so many Gen X'ers like myself are basically in the same boat as many millennials. The idea of owning property or tons of money has never been and likely never will be attainable for me.

But ultimately, as was mentioned, it's the Zoomers that will likely be the ones that have it worse.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa. Slow down, bud. That's not obvious at all. Very, very few scientists believe climate change will end humanity. Will it be bad? Yes. But fatalism isn't gonna help.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/...te-change-human-civilization-existential-risk

That article has zero references to ocean acidification or deoxygenatian which is the actual killer. If you would like to never sleep again have fun reading these. If the ocean's die we all die and both acidification and deoxygenatian are already happening. The Kiel declaration is frightening. Its not 30 years away of course, but humans are engineering a mass extinction of the planet. This is absolutely, 100% our great filter event.

www.theatlantic.com

When a Killer Climate Catastrophe Struck the World's Oceans

The worst extinction in Earth’s history offers chilling predictions for the planet’s future—and for humanity’s efforts to keep climate doom at bay.
www.theguardian.com

Ocean acidification can cause mass extinctions, fossils reveal

Carbon emissions make sea more acidic, which wiped out 75% of marine species 66m years ago
Oh and some of my favorite parts:
"The modern oceans have already lost 2 percent of their oxygen since 1960"
In local oceanic regions "During the past 50 years oxygen-depleted waters have expanded four-fold. Some areas of the ocean have lost up to 40 % of their oxygen"
The effect of mass acidification " Carbon emissions make sea more acidic, which wiped out 75% of marine species 66m years ago."

Last edited:

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Climate change is a massive reality check for me... even if I find a way to be optimistic about everything else, climate change looms large in the background of my mind, inescapable.

Star Trek used to be an optimistic vision of the far future to reach for, but I dont think anyone sees it as anything close to viable anymore. No one views the future as a place to flourish anymore but as a place to survive.

Even in Star Trek the world is decimated by World War III which kills over 600 million people and lasts for almost 3 decades (beginning in 2026, yay), forcing people into poverty before the first warp drive is invented in 2063. So even Star Trek assumes that things get a lot worse before they ever get better.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Once again, Innuendo Studios delivers. He's one of my very favorite Youtuber, and proves why with each of his videos.

This one hits me in the feels, as a millennial. This is entirely true. All of it, I've felt it, I've lived through it.
This shit isn't gonna get better, so we might as well stick together some more.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Really well put together and right on the money in a lot of spots. For me the conversation is always that when I was in junior high and high school I was convinced that the ready access to information and the ability to sus out liars and horseshit as long you know where to look would seep into our culture as the internet got cheaper and easier to access. That the old idea of it's hard to travel around the world and be racists just might make it's way into the living room because the internet could actually connect people from all walks so much easier. not sure i've ever been more wrong about a thing in my life.

It was kind of internally devastating to watch the progression to now. Like a lot of people here i'm fairly comfortable. Got lucky enough to get into a good career without needing college and was able to buy a house quite a few years ago before it would have become fucking impossible so I don't have it like most but it's still so .... disappointing to realize that a lot of my cynical, logic says the world is shit, people don't change and nothing matters high school kind of mind frame wasn't nearly as far off base as I always assumed it was.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I still say that people who were in high school in the 90s are genX, not millennials. As were more than half of the social issues he described

Oct 25, 2017
That article has zero references to ocean acidification or deoxygenatian which is the actual killer. If you would like to never sleep again have fun reading these. If the ocean's die we all die and both acidification and deoxygenatian are already happening. The Kiel declaration is frightening. Its not 30 years away of course, but humans are engineering a mass extinction of the planet. This is absolutely, 100% our great filter event.

www.theatlantic.com

When a Killer Climate Catastrophe Struck the World's Oceans

The worst extinction in Earth’s history offers chilling predictions for the planet’s future—and for humanity’s efforts to keep climate doom at bay.
www.theguardian.com

Ocean acidification can cause mass extinctions, fossils reveal

Carbon emissions make sea more acidic, which wiped out 75% of marine species 66m years ago
Oh and some of my favorite parts:
"The modern oceans have already lost 2 percent of their oxygen since 1960"
In local oceanic regions "During the past 50 years oxygen-depleted waters have expanded four-fold. Some areas of the ocean have lost up to 40 % of their oxygen"
The effect of mass acidification " Carbon emissions make sea more acidic, which wiped out 75% of marine species 66m years ago."

Look, if you want to wallop in fatalism I'm not gonna stop you. The problem with the existential threat narrative is that it might reinforce a sense that it's too late to do anything, and it's essentially a big fuck you to the millions of people who are trying to make a difference. Luckily, most climate scientists don't share this viewpoint that we're already doomed.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
A millennial is someone who came of age / graduated high school in the year 2000. That's literally why it's called that; only somewhat later did it morph into a bigger generation, but it doesn't make sense to start shifting it to later.

Anyway as an older Millennial I can't say I very much relate to this. I didn't like Daria either and thought grunge was dumb so maybe it's just not my nineties. I was always cynical but never pessimistic. I bought a house two days before Lehman Brothers collapsed and the recession came crashing down around us but still consider myself lucky. Imagine being a very late Millennial, early Zoomer and getting ready for the job market now. My house nearly doubled in price from before the recession.

Still, the boomers will die off, it's a matter of time, and that will create a not insignificant redistribution of wealth. I'm not nearly ready to call it doom and gloom.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Totally missed Daria, so there was maybe more I missed than usual with IS, but damn if doesn't keep on telling truths. The whole no hope for the future thing really hit hard.

The fact that I, as an elder millienial, have a three year old daughter, actually makes it a lot worse.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I still say that people who were in high school in the 90s are genX, not millennials. As were more than half of the social issues he described

the exact line between generations is people that started their careers before the dotcom crash / 9-11 and those that started after, the different cohorts had very different economic outcomes

Dec 4, 2017
the exact line between generations is people that started their careers before the dotcom crash / 9-11 and those that started after, the different cohorts had very different economic outcomes
Wouldn't that split the Xers into two subcohorts? Millennials started around the Great Recession (the lucky ones got a couple of years of the boom times, the unlucky ones got the poo covered end of the stick).

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i absolutely do not agree with first part of the video that says a lot of 90s Teen Angst came from 90s Teens looking around at the sorry state of the world and lamenting. it does seem to course correct in part 2 and part 3 where it talks about how a lot of it was because 90s Teens were given a Middle Class Life Blueprint and the general state of the US in the 90s (although he loses all credibility for saying Macarena is bad)

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Her birthday is 1980, that is genx territory...
That's the line that usually divides genX from Millennials in most cases. Being born 5 years later, it's hard for me to relate to Daria at all, but I can see where he was coming from in the later sections of the video. While I was too young to be a teen with grunge or in high school at the time, the idea of the social blueprint for success being sold to us pretty much untouched from previous generations matches up with reality.

That's the line that usually divides genX from Millennials in most cases. Being born 5 years later, it's hard for me to relate to Daria at all, but I can see where he was coming from in the later sections of the video. While I was too young to be a teen with grunge or in high school at the time, the idea of the social blueprint for success being sold to us pretty much untouched from previous generations matches up with reality.
I will always put 80 as Genx, 81 and 82? sure I will hear your arguments for milennial, 83 and above pure milennial.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Really good video. Especially appreciated his bit on elder vs. younger millennials, since those are effectively two different generations to themselves (with the former sharing more with Gen X and the latter with Zoomers). Ironically I'd say the 90s themselves, i.e. where you were in your life through the 90s, is the first real barometer separating these two "halves".

I'm not entirely fond of the way he dismisses/handwaves sarcastic cynicism.

Zoomers are extremely cynical (when they're not outright angry) because the world they'll grow old in is going to be insanely awful, and there's precious little that can be done to mitigate that. At least we millennials are a bit lucky in that we'll die just before things turn really bad. The poor bastards will spend their late-50s in a shitheap.

Zoomers are sarcastic and cynical, arguably even nihilistic, but it comes from a completely different place and you can see it in how they act vs. Gen X. Gen Xers believe they have no future because they're ultimately insignificant and the world will keep on spinning. Zoomers believe they have no future because they're convinced the world between global warming and rampant megacorp capitalism will leave the world a post-apocalyptic hellhole and that they're going to have to shoulder the burden of that reality. So while Gen X cynicism drove them to apathy, either cutting off from the system or selling out to it like their Boomer parents, Zoomer cynicism drives them to activism, trying to expose the failures of the system and change them for the better, and to do all of that very quickly.