• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 15, 2018
Hey guys,
Just noticed this forum. here's my piece for this year. Decided to do the Jake Parker thing and make one super drawing. Each character is a prompt. Had a lot of fun doing it. My two main goals were to complete it in the time allotted. So a drawing a day for 31 days. My other goal was to stick with prompts.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Seeing Raging Spaniard's Inktober stuff online is one thing. It's another thing to see the pencil underdrawings and strokes in person since he's at Anime NYC with his wife. I haven't seen him since 2012 when he moved to the west coast. We had meetups in the old forum. Fun times.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, since we're a month out of the 2020 version of this, I wanted to update the Era community on upcoming changes regarding this challenge.

Recently, Jake Parker was credibly accused of plagiarizing an instructional book on inking by Alphonso Dunn, you can read about it here

Jake has rejected the accusations and its a developing situation

Time will tell how exactly this all pans out. For now, however, I will not be promoting Jake Parkers brand and instead the 2020 edition will be called Pentober and be a celebration of Alphonso Dunns work and teachings, featuring his instructional books, which you can support here

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Damn, that is so disappointing. I remember really enjoying Jake Parker's youtube videos about drawing and visual storytelling. I will never understand people that plagarize other's work. I just don't get it.

Great idea redubbing this Pentober. I'm so down for that change.

Last edited:

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hi, since we're a month out of the 2020 version of this, I wanted to update the Era community on upcoming changes regarding this challenge.

Recently, Jake Parker was credibly accused of plagiarizing an instructional book on inking by Alphonso Dunn, you can read about it here

Jake has rejected the accusations and its a developing situation

Time will tell how exactly this all pans out. For now, however, I will not be promoting Jake Parkers brand and instead the 2020 edition will be called Pentober and be a celebration of Alphonso Dunns work and teachings, featuring his instructional books, which you can support here

I found out about this the other day. What an absolute arsehole. My opinion was already low of him after trademarking Inktober, but this was incredibly disappointing to see.

By the way Pentober already seems to be a writing event in October, but their Twitter page hasn't been updated since last year so it's probably not an issue using it.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
By the way Pentober already seems to be a writing event in October, but their Twitter page hasn't been updated since last year so it's probably not an issue using it.

Itll become more clear when we get closer to the date, obviously I dont want to hijack something used for another purpose so even "Inking in October" works for me. I would like to find something inking based since its such a fun unique challenge and my gut feeling is that its going to get really watered down as 30+ hashtags like Drawtober, OCtober and others all fight for the spotlight

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Itll become more clear when we get closer to the date, obviously I dont want to hijack something used for another purpose so even "Inking in October" works for me. I would like to find something inking based since its such a fun unique challenge and my gut feeling is that its going to get really watered down as 30+ hashtags like Drawtober, OCtober and others all fight for the spotlight

I agree with trying to keep the "Ink" part of the hashtag in play somehow. "InklifeOctober" "InkinTober" "OctoberInk" "HallowInk", and so on and so forth. lol
I didn't get to participate in last year's Inktober like I hoped to, but I was thinking of contributing this year for sure if my schedule allows.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
2020 thread is up! Rebranded and ready to roll

www.resetera.com

Pentober 2020 |OT| Alphonso Dunn Special Edition

Hi, I'm your host, Xavi, also known as the Raging Spaniard (follow me on twitter pls) and I used to work on Star Wars! That's how I introduce myself to everyone now, including my parents This is our 4th year of a ... um, inking related yearly event on ResetEra! Check out our archive...