• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
inktober2019.png
Hi, I'm your host, Xavi, also known as the Raging Spaniard and maybe check out my Chrono Trigger reconcept thread. Thats my plug.

This is our 3rd year of #inktober here on ResetEra! Check out our tiny, growing little archive!

Inktober is an art challenge were you are encouraged to make one ink (traditional or digital) based piece a day during the month of October. It was started by Jake Parker, here is what he has to share this year, per the official site:

Jake Parker said:
Every October, artists all over the world take on the Inktober drawing challenge by doing one ink drawing a day the entire month.

I created Inktober in 2009 as a challenge to improve my inking skills and develop positive drawing habits. It has since grown into a worldwide endeavor with thousands of artists taking on the challenge every year.

Anyone can do Inktober, just pick up a pen and start drawing.

Inktober rules:

1) Make a drawing in ink (you can do a pencil under-drawing if you want).

2) Post it*

3) Hashtag it with #inktober and #inktober2019

4) Repeat

Note: you can do it daily, or go the half-marathon route and post every other day, or just do the 5K and post once a week. What ever you decide, just be consistent with it. Inktober is about growing and improving and forming positive habits, so the more you're consistent the better.

Purchase your official inktober shirt here, more official resources here

Shameless Self Promoting:

Since I made the thread I'm going to be a total dick and sneak in my Twitter and Tumblr pages where you'll be able to find my entries (as well as this thread, obviously) Last year I had a Monster Hunter theme but this year its Fire Emblem: Three Houses time!

If you are running low on ideas, here is the official prompt list you can use to help

2019promptlist.png

Its important to remember that this is ALL OPTIONAL. If you want to skip a day, that's fine! If you want to do something non-traditional, that's great! This is all just an excuse for our little artist community to grown and thrive, we can get to know each other better and help each other fulfill our artistic goals. Do not take this too seriously, the rules are there to help you along the way, not to restrain you!

F.A.Q

Mailbox said:
So digital art is acceptable as well?
Don't really have the proper inking tools for analog.

Absolutely! In this day and age there are a million ways to create art! Jake is a traditional analog artist, but many digital only artists participate in inktober and have a great time doing so.

I'm really behind on this, should I quit?

Hell no! Even if you only make one drawing, that's way better than zero drawings. We all have lives and cant always afford the time. Keep your own pace, there's no pressure here.

What tools should I use?

Pretty much anything ink based, even a ball point pen can give you some amazing results, however here is a handy list that might help you. For covering BIG areas with black I personally use a brush pen (this is my favorite and a bargain at that price) or even leave it blank and fill it in Photoshop (not too much to learn from filling darks, its a personal preference)

Some highlights from the 2018 thread, we had a great turnout and I'm really proud of everyone who participated!

Okay first day down....30 to go lol
i8XzKOel.jpg

4.5 hours to ink over a light pencil sketch, brush pen to fill in large areas, no whiteout.

It would look a lot better without the trippy sun, it was a last minute addition and the lighting indicates the sun is in front of the knight anyway. Without it there would be more contrast and it'd be less busy. When I color it I'll remove that part and paint a muted sky there.

Dox-vOSX0AA6TKM.jpg:large

I finally had time for something and by I had time I mean I was busy procrastinating! Back to the homework dungeon with me!

edit: reposted/retweeted an edited version that fixed the left edge! Those fingers though...

Day 6 - The Scout from Team Fortress 2
tumblr_pg7ij2pT0M1rn8nkfo1_540.jpg

Since I always watch Tip of the Hats at this time of the year, I always draw something TF2-related for Inktober...

Day 7
(too many media posts to display, but check out the post!)

Day 6 + 7
(too many media posts to display, but check out the post!)

Day 14, Clock? (Didn't really try to do the prompt today)
G5rcpNu.jpg

Soul Music

I made it to the OP! Yasss

Im gonna try to stick with digital tools that emulate inking for this Inktober. I love traditional inking but the month is gonna be a busy one.

Here is my first for the month. Lets see if I can keep up! (if the image is too big let me know and Ill put it in quotes)
DoeEOFEUcAEhO_F.jpg

Other resourceful Era Art threads:
PhotoEra - One photo per day
Drawing a Day
The Art Pub

Thats all! Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this.

Ordered a new fountain pen which is coming in today, I primarily do calligraphy but I'd also like to ink some sketches.

Made myself a promise since graduation that I'd commit to both this and NaNoWriMo - so count me in.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
I'm definitely in. It's my first year doing Inktober but I'm very excited. I have zero experience and talent in drawing but I want to give it a try and see how it goes.

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ahhhh here we go again! Thanks as always for the thread, Raging Spaniard. Excited to see everyone's works again this year. :D

I'm in for sure. Might do half of it digitally though to save myself the hassle of hauling my pens and pieces of cardstock on vacation again...

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Removed Twitter image in case of self-promotion warning

Going to try my best to draw some decent stuff for the prompts but I worry my imagination will fail me.

Last edited:

Bne

Jan 12, 2018
Count me in. Last year doing animation was a bit of a chore (stopped after day 10) so I'll be aiming for a much more conventional Inktober this time.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Removed Twitter image in case of self-promotion warning

Going to try my best to draw some decent stuff for the prompts but I worry my imagination will fail me.
Self promote away, this is the place to do it!

inktober caught me by surprise this year, my output has been unusually high so its not my usual "time to work on my own stuff" than it usually is but rather "stop doing other projectsso you can do inktober"

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to try and do more digital stuff, but it takes me so fricken loonnngg. In fact little cheaty me started the first image yesterday already and I can use something I started but never finished for the second prompt. I still might have to do a few paper and biro sketches at work when no ones looking to keep up tho.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Self promote away, this is the place to do it!

inktober caught me by surprise this year, my output has been unusually high so its not my usual "time to work on my own stuff" than it usually is but rather "stop doing other projectsso you can do inktober"

Ah cool, here we go then - jumping off with a Jorge Luis Borges quote:

I was reminded about Inktober from a NaNoWriMo thread, then one of my colleagues reminded me of HacktoberFest - I suppose if there's a year to just go all-out, it'll be this one. One will inevitably fall short but honestly I'll be happy even if I end up doing 16/31 drawings.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, I'm in the highlights!!

Gonna try my best to make up for last year and do all 31 days. Got no school to get in my way this time around :D

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing Inktober again (and also NaNoWriMo after this).

This time I'm going to try and stick to the prompts. Also everything is going to be digital, because I don't have easy access to a scanner right now

Anyway, my Day 1 picture:

tumblr_pyoetuDEHK1sj0je3o1_540.png

The character is Hamomoru Tachibana from Midnight Sanctuary. I got the idea to use her for "Ring" because of this moment in-game:
sddefault.jpg

And I was supposed to do an art nouveau style profile (with the red buns as circular background flourishes), but I took too long and only had time for a generic gradient bg instead.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
New year, new Inktober. No matter what dumb shit is going on internally, I've completed two of these so far. I'm looking forward to this year.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you're doing Nanowrimo, inktober could be a good way to start working on some visual imagery for whatever you'll be writing about next month!

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm attempting this again after I tried it 3 years ago and I only lasted 10 days. Hoping to beat that this year.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I always suck at sticking with these things consistently and posting them on social media. But I look forward to the yearly thread. October is always a busy-ish month for me but this always serves as a reminder to draw stuff since I forget to do it daily. I only sketch during my commute but I can do better like a recurring daily reminder through Wanderlist.

I'm going to see if I find my Pentel pocket brush cartridges and use the themes as jump-off points. Lurking on my Instagram has gotten me a bit fired up lately. Wish I had a good drawing tablet or a good phone since the LG Stylo 4 is a shitty phone to draw with versus my old Galaxy Note 3. As always, I'll probably be lurking.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from zulux21 zulux21!

This is a weeklong raffle that will expire in one week. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

zulux21 said:
It's not much, but hopefully this will motivate someone.
I set it to no lurkers, and 7 days because ideally you will post 5 pictures across that time period and thus be able to enter :P

I wish you all the best with drawing this month :)

These are our awesome prizes:

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I just wanted to mention, after talking with the digital art thread it seems like this humble bundle is fairly good

so if new drawing tools will help motivate you, it might be worth taking a look at as you can get Corel Painter® 2019 and a bunch of brushes for $25.
corel painter was my fave programme until i bought an ipad/procreate and i still can't find anything that resembles its Resat option in anything else. $25 is an absolute steal for that alone, regardless of everything else you get.

i'm trying to front load my stuff this year so i'm on day 2/thinking about day 3 already. i think i'll do some rough sketches and ideas for loads of days tonight, some of the prompts naturally inspire me more than others so don't want to get stuck on a particular day.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Great stuff so far guys!

I doubt I'll get the chance to do many, but I'm going to try and at least do one a week.

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_pyoyl1GBRc1tu1m2jo1_540.png

Day 1 :D
Too broke to fix my scanner atm, but I still wanted to take part this year, it'll be my first inktober.
Hopefully I'll get to use traditional media during the month though.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia

Too broke to fix my scanner atm, but I still wanted to take part this year, it'll be my first inktober.
Nice to see some Marvel Inks, I am also planning to do plenty of Marvel character for inks.

That said, here it is, and I am also going to be shameless and put my IG here:
instagram.com/edricluffie
twitter.com/luffie

DYqPsl9.jpg

First day Kuroro Lucifer, just to show the difference with my first Kuroro ink 4 years ago.

rrGy1Bv.jpg

And I was so proud of this shit lol....

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Nice to see some Marvel Inks, I am also planning to do plenty of Marvel character for inks.

That said, here it is, and I am also going to be shameless and put my IG here:
instagram.com/edricluffie
twitter.com/luffie

DYqPsl9.jpg

First day Kuroro Lucifer, just to show the difference with my first Kuroro ink 4 years ago.

rrGy1Bv.jpg

And I was so proud of this shit lol....

These are damn good starts!! Well done!

I can't do art but i wanna get in on this : D

thumbnail-IMG-20191001-123325.jpg

As i can't actually do art i won't post anymore to this thread but i'll stick them in my old shit art thread where i drew album covers from memory:

Of course you -can- do art, no need to limit yourself! Please come by more often!

atmegatron

Dec 27, 2017
Joining in for some fun! I'm not very trained or versatile when it comes to drawing, but since Inktober is all about fun, motivating yourself and having some creative outlet, I'll just do a piece if and when I have inspiration. I can't wait to see what all you "real" artists will be pumping out this month though! Always been a fan of "drawing a day" threads etc. to just enjoy great art made by cool people :D

So here goes my Inktober Day 1 thingy - this is a Eurorack synthesizer module by the way, for anyone not so much into music gear nerding as myself :P

EFzyhiKW4AYMn2m.jpg

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Joining in for some fun! I'm not very trained or versatile when it comes to drawing, but since Inktober is all about fun, motivating yourself and having some creative outlet, I'll just do a piece if and when I have inspiration. I can't wait to see what all you "real" artists will be pumping out this month though! Always been a fan of "drawing a day" threads etc. to just enjoy great art made by cool people :D

So here goes my Inktober Day 1 thingy - this is a Eurorack synthesizer module by the way, for anyone not so much into music gear nerding as myself :P

EFzyhiKW4AYMn2m.jpg
this is ticking all my boxes, brilliant!

Bne

Jan 12, 2018
Here's day 1 :

This year I'm following this prompt list (in french only) :
EFKHtRvXoAUYrDe

Instructions are :
- 1 Day = 1 Original Character
- Prompts = Name of the character and where he or she is from

Today is Cornifeu (meaning fire/horns or fire/crow) from Pokemon, tomorrow is Le Serpent (Snake) from Spiderman

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my shitty contribution for day 1. I get too anxious and stressed to do these things so decided to keep it simple. I never like to spend lot too much time on art. I just hope that following this challenge will inspire me to do more. Will try to do digital art on other days.
IMG_20191001_203506.jpg

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
HqRzRAg.jpg

My first attempt at drawing anything. Took me nearly 3 hours to finish. But I'm still very excited about this whole Inktober thing :)

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
9975-ECF6-1-B03-458-C-BACD-B57-F0521-EB7-C.png

the prompt list i'm following is called 'choose your own adventure' and today's prompt was 'your adventurer' so here's cynthia tuesday, a punk that fights demons with her broadsword and wizard-cat friend, magus.

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017

EFzyhiKW4AYMn2m.jpg
Ooh I love. I have a Eurorack myself, and I have this and Clouds as well 😀