• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Bar scene for sure. I do like the opening scene though as well.

It's in my top 3 ranking:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill vol 1 / vol 2
3. Inglorius Basterds

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of his movies I've seen, I rank Inglorious Basterds 3rd from last. Just above the Kill Bill films which I hate.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Tarantino said that if one of his movies was going to nab him best director, he hoped that it would be IB. The older it gets (10 years holy moly) the more I can appreciate why he said that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's one of his best in my opinion. And my favorite section is the "bear jew" forest scene towards the beginning.

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I really dislike Tarantino's films in general. His style of directing is not my cup of tea. Inglorious bastards was great in its first half, but completely fell off the mark in the second.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's my favourite film of his – I was just talking about that with some of my mates yesterday actually.

The tension in a lot of those scenes is off the charts and the actors all play wonderfully.

I also love how the movie switches between French, English, and German, and like another poster mentioned the non-English lines actually sound good. You can tell a lot of work and respect went into putting this together.

I watched it the first time with my mother who's fluent in all three languages (I'm only fluent in two) and it was a great experience. When Fassbender went Drei Gläser she instantly turned towards me and told me he fucked up lol

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen Hateful Eight, but I'd say IB is his third best film. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are tied for first place, IB is third. I feel like those three films are really peak Tarantino. There's a bit of a drop off after that. Jackie Brown and Django are good but not amazing, and I didn't like Death Proof and Reservoir Dogs.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Tarantino himself believes 'This might be his masterpiece'. So yeah.

That Gorlaami scene has been etched into my brain for all eternity.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Basterds is his best work for me. It manages to balance all of the elements of Tarantino so well - gratuitous violence, humour, great dialogue, and tension.

That first scene in the barn is so tense, you could feel the whole cinema holding their breath.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I think it's mid tier.
Better than Hateful Eight, Django and Deathproof.

Worse than the rest.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Top 3 for me.

Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Django Unchained
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kill Bill Vol.1
Hateful 8
Death Proof

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Saw it the first time and almost fell asleep. Didn't click with me, I didn't get it. Saw it a second time, and a third, and a fourth, and I now recognize it's very possibly his best. I imagine in the future it will be regarded in even higher esteem and considered a true classic, AFI top-100 film.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

I don't rank the film highly in Tarantino's list of works overall, but this is pretty much my favourite scene he's ever done.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I think it sorta peaked around the intro to be honest. Darkest part of the movie and was more in line what I was expecting. Then it turned into Kill Bill/Grindhouse meets WW2 and I became a little disappointed.

The Mexican standoff (or bar scene) and other scenes with Landa were good, don't get me wrong, but I'll never shake the feeling Tarantino's schtick is a little played out now. Again, not saying it's bad. Just...it's predictable.

Having said that I think I preferred Django and Hateful Eight.

They're all good movies though, I consider myself a Tarantino fan, I pretty much like everything him and Rob Rodriguez do.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Rewatched it with the fiance. Still good. You don't really notice the jankiness and variety of styles until later viewings which is nice.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Its just okay. The highlight is the Moriicone score. The jew bear gang is kind of dumb.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always think there's something wrong with me when I read about IB. I just ...didn't love it. I think it's the dumbass speaking Italian thing that sours me on the second half. I didn't find it funny at all, and it just makes the theater stuff silly.
Also, couldn't really care less for Shoshanna.
First half has some amazing stuff in it.
I always put this in my lower third of Tarantino rankings, with Jackie Brown (another one I don't get the love for) and Death Proof (so awful I shut it off after a few minutes, so maybe I need to get back to it).
Maybe it's because of my age - I was old enough to catch Pulp Fiction in the theater when it first came out, and it was mind blowing.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's near the bottom for me. There are several parts I like, the really over the top Tarantino moments, but I found myself bored with it. It took a few tries to watch it all the way through.

Edit: oh, missed the other part of the question. I like the bar scene best, partly because everything about it was a tremendously stupid and preposterous idea.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really explain why but I really disliked Inglorious and Django, I still favor his older works.
Maybe I'm becoming tired of the Tarentino formula. Not saying it's all predictable and re-heated now but clearly the feeling of novelty has worn off.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best film he's made since Jackie Brown. The bar scene is undoubtedly the best. Nobody does the slow build to an explosion of violence like Tarantino.

Dec 31, 2017
His best work. Neither of the two movies released after come close. It actually had a climax which Django and Hateful 8 forgot how to do.

Favorite sequence is probably the opening. The tension and escalation is insane.

Also like his entrances for Stiglitz and The Bear Jew.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would put it below Pulp Fiction, the opening scene is my favourite scene in the whole film.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Right up there with Pulp Fiction as my favorite Tarantino. The bar scene is amongst his very best.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
I can't really explain why but I really disliked Inglorious and Django, I still favor his older works.
Maybe I'm becoming tired of the Tarentino formula. Not saying it's all predictable and re-heated now but clearly the feeling of novelty has worn off.

He did a lot of wanging of his own style and his past works in these 2 movies.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
pretty far down tbh
I don't even find it bad or mediocre or anything, it's just that most of his other works are so much better

it doesn't help that acting in this is so inconsistent. you have great performances, but then you also have Diane Kruger and this other guy with his stupid Hitler caricature, which just isn't well played

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
#2 for me right behind Pulp Fiction. It's an extremely rewatchable movie.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
My rank:
#1 Inglorious Basterds.
#2 Django
#3 Hateful Eight
#4 Reservoir Dogs
#5 Jackie Brown
#6 Pulp Fiction

why don't Cristoph Waltz and Tarantino work together anymore
He was busy with Alita at that moment,he was supposed to be in Hateful Eight iirc,pretty sure that Tim Roth's character was meant for him in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was ok, definitely towards the lower end of his movies. Why did they send Hugo Stiglitz on that undercover mission when everyone knows who he is? The movie even specifically says earlier that everyone knows Hugo Stiglitz. I guess the basterds are just idiots. And Eli Roth takes me out of the movie, but at least Tarantino wised up and didn't include the part where he shoots a couple of caged dogs at the vet to get the vet to talk.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
His best thus far. As for the favorite scene, it's hard to choose. For individual sequence, the beginning of chapter 5 with Cat People is a fantastic moodsetter for entirety of chapter 5.

Objectively chapter 1 is probably the best written one, but for me chapter 4 wins. The setting is ludicrous (especially the banality of majority of dialogues in the scene) the tension towards the end as Fassbender inadvertendly reveals himself is insane and the shootout is a fantastic release of said tension. So I guess that's my favorite one, despite barely featuring the best character in the film (Waltz's performance was truly inspired and divine).

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of my least favorites, actually. I put it near the bottom with the Kill Bill movies - they're all good, they just don't really click with me. I think they're going for something I don't quite gel with. (I've never seen Death Proof so that's not on my list.)

I think it's still pretty clearly his 90s stuff at the top (Jackie Brown > Reservoir Dogs > Pulp Fiction), but I think I'm a bit unusual where I'd put his 10s stuff (Django > Hateful Eight) over his 00s stuff (Basterds > Kill Bill). I like modern Tarantino so I've got high hopes for Hollywood.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
His best film. The bar scene is the greatest scene and as Tarantino himself says it might just be his masterpiece.