• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it common to pay influencers about games or sponsor smaller streamers?

Not sure what the problem is, influencers aren't reviewers or jorunalists.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TBH that doesn't sound any more or less restrictive than your typical influencer partner agreement.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
EA Game Changers
Apex Legends when it came out
Valorant Day 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of these influencers paid by the publishers?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
"Influencers" are just a marketing arm. I'd bet all contracts are like this.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Always good to get contextual information, in this case it sounds like when those Youtubers/Influencers make content they need to disclose it's paid promotion. But this sounds like par for the course and not targetted at Reviewers specifically. Maybe we're missing info that makes this shaddy?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that the definition of a influencer?

Did you think they'll do all the PR for free?

Oct 26, 2017
Most influencers would gladly shill this game for free. I really wonder what the hell is going on in CD ProjektRed marketing. But if they're disclosing I guess it's fine.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Man the graphics in Cyberpunk 2077 look alot worse than I expected in that video there. Base Xbox One version?

And sure, influencers beeing paid for advertising something isnt anything new, they just have to properly disclose it.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty common to pay influencers. There's much more issues than that one surrounding Cyberpunk 2077.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
"Influencers" are paid by everyone, that is how they make money
They are being paid to market the game

Its unfortunate that some people think they provide unbiased opinions

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Not new, not particularly controversial, always gross if you don't disclose.

Even grosser if you typically review, but decide to shill in this one instance. Even if you do disclose.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
COD Partners
EA game changers
Etc...

That's the new marketing in the year of Twitch.

EA paid 1 million USD to Ninja for playing Apex Legends.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Compensating influencers to play your game is pretty standard with every new release.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
This is what influencers do. They will need to acknowledge that the copy etc. were provided by CDPR, but beyond that nothing.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This Razorfist guy is retweeting Mark Levin and Rudy Giulani so uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe not the best source????

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If you paid me to wear NB (don't respect to those that like them) I will shill and promote it like no tomorrow to my audience (if I had one) haha

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is standard practice. Influencers need to say it's sponsored content though. At least in the US based on FTC rules.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
if they disclose it before giving opinion i have no issue. seems normal

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really anything new and it's the reason why everything from videos to streams to tweets have #ad, #sponsor, or anything to indicate that it's sponsored content now.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
influencer contracts are standard.

if you think your favorite influencer isn't doing this, you're wrong.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Is there really any moral difference between playing a game on the internet and getting paid to play a game on the internet and talk about it favorably. I mean these are toys, who cares.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
"possibly" lol, this was more obvious than any game ever. Immediately noticed this even before all of the drama and controversies came out. They're literally being put into the game

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
We already knew they were getting cyberpunk chairs and stuff, so I expect nothing but glowing reviews from the influencers.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Influencer marketing is part of literally every AAA game. Nothing to be mad about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.