• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
He basically doesn't know what the fuck is going on right now, maybe he'll come with new info from his source soon.

Interested to hear if this just a shell game, if he was privy to an unused concept (or it was left in the beta build?), or it it's a reaction to the significant noise since the initial report.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Via Reddit in response to rumors regarding the game's microtransactions:

It should also be noted that a glitch in the Beta did cause the game to mention a Common Supply Drop
NerosCinema_2019-Sep-12-1024x576.jpg
If it was a glitch why did it glitch into a title card? Someone made that card, and it was in the game files.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
"Sigh" indeed

I don't care that much personally since I'll likely be over the game already by the time they introduce MTXs, but this is getting hilarious

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Sure, they aren't working on lootbox NOW, just wait a couple of months :'D

The sad part is that at D1 the game will be probably fine lootbox-wise, the time that I will decide to buy it at a decent price they will add the worse MTX like already happened... you can't win with this crap :/

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
We'll see, but if the intend is to lock guns behind a way too long grind then that's not better either. Hopefully everything gameplay relevenat will be easily acxhievable by a normal person that doesn't play COD 24/7.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Pretty sure loot boxes are coming. Maybe not day one, but soon after launch and for good.

Even the pre-order pages mention that you get a certain amounts of CoD Points that you can spend once MTX has been patched in. So yeah, lies.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield V said the same shit then a few months after launch you had premium currency and skins. Oh and less content over time.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter. At this point if it says Activision on the box I expect some kind of crappy microtransactions that'll affect the game, because they rarely come in any other shape these days.

The only way to solve the damaging effect they have on games, is to leave them out entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
If loot boxes are truly out I wonder if they cut stuff like the leaked killstreak/vehicle camo.
I can't see them doing that work if it isn't to pad out drops.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's activision. I'm sure the devs have good intentions but the paper pushers above the dev's paygrade got to direct the monetary aspect of it so i don't think an art director can sway much in terms of general direction.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I already cancelled my pre order and won't be picking this game up.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Is Acti going to release it without so they can avoid mentioning it on box art like CTR?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are way too pessimistic. Why can't you trust a developer for once?

Of course they aren't working on loot box systems.

Because the work is already complete!

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield V said the same shit then a few months after launch you had premium currency and skins. Oh and less content over time.
DICE was very clear that there would be cosmetics and that some of those would be purchased using a premium currency. What they said was they would not sell anything that had an effect on gameplay and so far they have kept to that.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
If it was a glitch why did it glitch into a title card? Someone made that card, and it was in the game files.
Games rarely refer to loot boxes as "loot boxes", so my educated guess is it's deprecated code from a WIP/cancelled feature or even an errant localized key.
Depending on how much code is left over from Infinite Warfare, could even be that.

I think Activision is probably staying away from outright saying "we will never add loot boxes" (even if they don't currently have plans to) just on the basis that you should never "promise" anything to fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Games rarely refer to loot boxes as "loot boxes", so my educated guess is it's deprecated code from a WIP/cancelled feature or even an errant localized key.
Depending on how much code is left over from Infinite Warfare, could even be that.

I think Activision is probably staying away from outright saying "we will never add loot boxes" (even if they don't currently have plans to) just on the basis that you should never "promise" anything to fans.
I feel like IW would actually push to keep them out and if Modern Warfare ends up being the biggest Call of Duty and sustaining that Activision might back down,
but the second it underperforms in Activisions eyes in any way they force them in.

Kinda like Black Ops 4 last year, the second Blackout's popularity and such started to dip...
crazy overpowered guns started getting put into lootboxes.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I feel like IW would actually push to keep them out and if Modern Warfare ends up being the biggest Call of Duty and sustaining that Activision might back down,
but the second it underperforms in Activisions eyes in any way they force them in.

Kinda like Black Ops 4 last year, the second Blackout's popularity and such started to dip...
crazy overpowered guns started getting put into lootboxes.
Yea but in their eyes if it over performs you add them because free money
If it under performs "trying to break even"

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Something fishy is going on here cod devs in the past never went to this much damage control unless the rumours of them losing pre orders has some credence to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Something fishy is going on here cod devs in the past never went to this much damage control unless the rumours of them losing pre orders has some credence to it.
It has a lot of shit coming together at the same time, probably scaring Activision and Infinity Ward from having it locked in.
Coming off Black Ops 4 Activision has to see how badly it screwed that game over.
Black Ops 4
- pass owners were pissed the entire time, feeling the never got the value
- lootbox buyers were pissed because Treyarch packed themwith the most useless crap in the series(stickers, tags, etc)
- even typical COD youtubers cut way back on buying boxes because of that
- average players dropped off the most in the franchise because the damn lootbox guns being P2W and Treyarch not trying to balance them literally for months.
- the "free" operation support getting cut and cut as the year went on, the promise of years of support being dried up less than a year*
*them taking 4th of July items and putting them as later operation's items while making the 4th of July event just lootboxes was the icing on the cake.

now we have
-potential guns in boxes again, after the most game breaking guns in franchise history,
-survival a popular mode in MW3 being exclusive to one platform(regardless of actually being an afterthought)

- general attitude towards lootboxes

They are in a delicate position.
Modern Warfare is already meant to be a return to form, if it gets screwed up Call of Duty will start having a bit more issues(obviously nothing will kill it but the reactions might start looking like Infinite Warfare's).

Even from a business perspective it might be best to avoid lootbox mess with this game and try to look good going into Call of Duty 2020(even if that game has them)

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
Why would they have to work on the lootbox system? It's probably already done from the last few CODs and they just plug it in with a few adjustments.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They will probably just have a F2P BR mode as a standalone and fill that with Lootboxes stuff to offset MW. Or...they will just add it later once all the reviews are out, praising it for not having Lootboxes etc, so progressive!