• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Just make the damn thing like WW2's.
Also cosmetic loot boxes are fine if they don't overload them with stupid shit like BO4.

Though the first MTXs we see do give me hope over BO4's
thumb.php
thumb.php
thumb.php

thats actually something i'd be fine paying extra money for.
they could do those for the other factions from past games and have enticing cosmetics.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the leak that they're moving away from lootboxes was true. The game is still going to end up P2W eventually. I guarantee it.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when they announced the game, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries at E3, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when they unveiled the Multiplayer, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when the Beta went live, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when a bug in the Beta showed the existence of a Common Supply Drop, they didn't.
Infinity Ward and Activision immediately could have taken away any worries when the leaks started, they didn't.

They have nobody to blame but themselves for this mess and distrust.

You can't make definitive public statements when things are in flux. The gaming audience is unsympathetic to the realities of game development, so it's often better to endure the "blowback" until things are locked. Luckily, you won't have to wait too much longer for details.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You can't make definitive public statements when things are in flux. The gaming audience is unsympathetic to the realities of game development, so it's often better to endure the "blowback" until things are locked. Luckily, you won't have to wait too much longer for details.

The general audience is unsympathetic because this isn't their first Call of Duty rodeo. I mean good on you guys if you're doing something different, but you can't blame people for running low on blind trust when it comes to how this franchise handles it's microtransactions.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
They'll be added in a couple months and the monetization will get worse and worse, negatively impacting the experience.

It's all designed to push players away from the old game and towards the new game, so people keep shelling out for the annual releases. Planned obsolescence basically.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
This answer isn't good enough for me. I want them to say "NO LOOTBOXES EVER"

None of this "what I can say right now" disclaimer bullshit.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can't make definitive public statements when things are in flux.

Yeah, point is, they should never be in flux. The tactics your company uses should never be even considered, and having a track record of worming them in after launch (as well as A-B's pathetic China approach) makes everyone justly think the company is only, and entirely, about money.

This is the same group that laid off 800 people after its most profitable year.

So yeah. We're skeptical.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The general audience is unsympathetic because this isn't their first Call of Duty rodeo. I mean good on you guys if you're doing something different, but you can't blame people for running low on blind trust when it comes to how this franchise handles it's microtransactions.

The general audience is unsympathetic, period. "Downgrade" threads alone are proof of this.

Yeah, point is, they should never be in flux. The tactics your company uses should never be even considered, and having a track record of worming them in after launch (as well as A-B's pathetic China approach) makes everyone justly think the company is only, and entirely, about money.

This is the same group that laid off 800 people after its most profitable year.

So yeah. We're skeptical.

The uncomfortable truth is that everyone doesn't feel the way you do, because if they did these things would never be in flux.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
The general audience is unsympathetic, period. "Downgrade" threads alone are proof of this.

The uncomfortable truth is that everyone doesn't feel the way you do, because if they did these things would never be in flux.

How disengeous of you to compare downgraded threads to the reality of what Activision regularly done with CoD and loot boxes.

I guess we aren't suppose to look at history or our lying eyes?

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, sure, but it's disingenuous to hide behind that when there's genuine concern because of precedent.

No one's hiding. He asked why there haven't been statements, I told him why. The fact that you believe there to be "genuine" concern this time around doesn't alter the truthfulness of my statement. No one is putting out a statement on a topic as dicey as this when things may change. You would be setting yourself up for disaster.

How disengeous of you to compare downgraded threads to the reality of what Activision regularly done with CoD and loot boxes.

I guess we aren't suppose to look at history or our lying eyes?

Downgrade threads are a perfect example because the vitriol lobbied at developers for things that are simply the nature of the development is absurd. If that stuff is enough to have people up and arms, imagine how nuts it would be if devs/publishers openly waffled back and forth on MTX strategies. It would be a disaster!

Last edited:

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No one's hiding. He asked why there haven't been statements, I told him why. The fact that you believe there to be "genuine" concern this time around doesn't alter the truthfulness of my statement. No one is putting out a statement on a topic as dicey as this when things may change. You would be setting yourself up for disaster.

Ok, but the fact that things may change less than two weeks from launch isn't going to sit well with people either. This is something that's been bubbling under the community over the last few releases, so for the people in charge to not be aware and have a plan to communicate it clearly before launch does nothing to make anyone feel better, and certainly doesn't afford any trust.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, but the fact that things may change less than two weeks from launch isn't going to sit well with people either. This is something that's been bubbling under the community over the last few releases, so for the people in charge to not be aware and have a plan to communicate it clearly before launch does nothing to make anyone feel better, and certainly doesn't afford any trust.

1) So you see my point?
2) People are very aware and details will roll out soon, as Joel mentioned.
3) Your skepticism is A OK with me.

Again, I don't necessarily disagree with you guys' points, I'm just trying to provide insight on the thought process from the opposite side.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I miss 1998's 60€ games + 1 or 2 meaty paid expensions. All the bullshit we went through, online pass, season pass, lootboxes... Mobile's new secret monetisation tech is now susbscription it seems. This will come to regular games soon, I'm sure of it. Micro subscriptions to get weekly premium currencies or skins.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I dont believe him

First an art director saying they arent working on loot boxes is technically true. Why would an art director be working on the loot systems?

Second, he can say theyre not working on it now and whilst that is technically true, theyre probably gonna work on it later, just like how most of the time the loot boxes come after launch.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1) So you see my point?
2) People are very aware, lol.
3) Your skepticism is A OK with me.

I always got your point, in that things are in flux and you don't want to communicate, I just think it's crazy that it's still the case two weeks from launch.

Part of it also comes from the exasperated tone that your team is taking with this, like you can't believe people won't just go with it. Like if Activision was putting out a Tony Hawk game with no footage but was like "Don't worry guys, we got this!"

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I always got your point, in that things are in flux and you don't want to communicate, I just think it's crazy that it's still the case two weeks from launch.

Part of it also comes from the exasperated tone that your team is taking with this, like you can't believe people won't just go with it. Like if Activision was putting out a Tony Hawk game with no footage but was like "Don't worry guys, we got this!"

I feel you. I don't want to speak for Joel but I understand some of his frustration. Big decisions like this aren't solely made by him or IW. He's busting his ass on this game and the conversation surrounding it is being tainted by misinformation. Fans are rightly concerned based on their experience with past titles. He can't just come out and detail exactly how everything is going to work for the same reasons I can't, it's not my team, not my place.

I know that response may be underwhelming but it's the truth *cross my heart*.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sorry... are you (as you seem to be) justifying the use of predatory monetization because many gamers are okay with and/or readily succumb to it?

Because that's what it seems like you're doing.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
do a battle pass like destiny 2. usefull stuff just by playing the game. not a grind as you gain levels very quickly.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do a battle pass like destiny 2. usefull stuff just by playing the game. not a grind as you gain levels very quickly.
Black Ops 4 battle pass type thing was absolutely dog shit and an awful grind with trash-tier rewards.

Sell skins at ÂŁ10 a pop, don't rinse people like Fortnite and Apex do, and make sure all guns are obtainable in game. Not hard, is it?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
The loot box system added in what, four months after release for cod Black ops 4? Just enough time not to be included in any reviews. Companies are now delaying loot boxes for months after release so they don't get penalized in reviews and people are catching on. Reviews in the future are going to get altered because of this. So yeah I don't buy for a second that loot boxes won't be added in the future.

"Realities of game development" isn't s good excuse to be pro predatory monetizaton.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Black Ops 4 battle pass type thing was absolutely dog shit and an awful grind with trash-tier rewards.

Sell skins at ÂŁ10 a pop, don't rinse people like Fortnite and Apex do, and make sure all guns are obtainable in game. Not hard, is it?
At least BO4's BP was completely free and with the daily tier skips not even that hard to complete.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Just copy the Fortnite Formula and ditch the boxes.

Or give people multiple options?

GIve those that play for long periods of time the season pass to grind through, give those that play who don't give a shit an in game currency they can earn through playing the game at my own pace that gives me the occasional random drop, and then just give those who don't give a shit about money the option to buy cosmetics outright.

I am personally all for a loot box system that only works off of in game currencies earned through simply playing the game and doesn't offer gameplay altering content. But who am I to say grinders and rich people can't also be catered to?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It honestly doesn't matter what Modern Warfare looks like at launch. All of the really egregious stuff in the past few COD's were added weeks/months after launch. Zero trust that it won't happen again.