• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Warzone is not old, and neither is it dying, they absolutely have to do a ps5 version find another solution, warzone will keep being one of the most popular games for years to come.

It's old in the sense that there's no PS5 version....

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
It's variable refresh rate.

It's important when games are not locked, and having a locked 120 fps experience is quite hard on console or pc, usually cpu will be a bottleneck trying to achieve a high framerate in complex games.

So without a VRR display and console, games where the framerate is not locked, will show judder and won't look that fluid.
VRR is Variable Refresh Rate.

It has been available in PC games for years under proprietary names like G-Sync and FreeSync.

What it does is exactly what the name suggests: it changes the refresh rate of the display in sync with the framerate of the content. This eliminates jutter that typically happens with framerate fluctuations and it also eliminates screen tearing. Screen tearing happens because the framerate of the content isn't matched to the refresh rate of the display, which results in incomplete frames being viewable, hence the perception that the frame is "torn."

It is a technology that basically allows you to run in fluctuating framerate scenario but still get a smooth delivery of images in sequence. Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X were said to support it ahead of launch. Only Xbox Series X actually does at launch.
VRR stands for Variable Refresh Rate. What it does is it makes it so that your display matches the framerate of the game instead of having a fixed output. This makes it so that framerate drops are less jarring and helps to elminate stuff like tearing.

Thanks!

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You're not going to see these things on PS5 until it gets VRR. 100-120fps with VRR is great, 100-120fps without VRR would not be ideal.
I wonder what their reasoning is for not having this now? HDMI 2.1 seems to be having some growing pains and even the new Nvidia cards were not working right away with 4K and 120fps.

See that's the thing. It's paying out to the smallest fraction of the early adopters that care for it and would be such a low priority to most. Do you sacrifice some of these features on older games to gain the ability to preserve and go back to these games later in the console's life? As far as disc-based content goes, that is what separates SD from everything else. You don't own that content because you're forced to download it from their servers to play. Like you said, hopefully only lasts during cross-gen.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have an LG CX and warzone after the update is fucking trash. Stutters like hell. Switched back to 60 and it was smooth as butter and better than my pc.
ShadowRunner
LG have yet to fix their TVs stuttering when VRR is being used above ~80 FPS.
There's supposed to be an update on the way though.

Yeah for the 0.01%, 60 fps is fine for the rest of us. I'd rather 60 fps be targeted as the norm before 120 fps is even a thought in games.
Nah, forget 60. That's for a decade ago.
Everything should be pushing for 120 FPS modes now that HDMI 2.1 is here.

Developers do need to realize that you cannot simply unlock the frame rate with VRR though - a limit should be set to something like 40% above the average.
So if a game averaged 60 FPS you would allow up to 84 FPS with VRR enabled, rather than allowing it to range from 60 to 120 FPS.

If they can't lock to a frame rate the majority of the time I'd rather they not bother. Fluctuating frame rates are horrid to my eyes and make me feel funny. I would rather have a locked 60 (or even 30) than something jumping all over the place.
VRR eliminates the need to lock to a perfect frame rate.
That's why it's such a big deal when targeting high frame rates like 120 FPS.

Without VRR, if the frame rate is fluctuating between 100–120 FPS, it may be preferable to lock it to 60 instead to eliminate stuttering.
With VRR, that fluctuation between 100–120 FPS is not an issue at all - it just looks smooth.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
ShadowRunner
VRR eliminates the need to lock to a perfect frame rate.
That's why it's such a big deal when targeting high frame rates like 120 FPS.

Without VRR, if the frame rate is fluctuating between 100–120 FPS, it may be preferable to lock it to 60 instead to eliminate stuttering.
With VRR, that fluctuation between 100–120 FPS is not an issue at all - it just looks smooth.
That is great if you have a TV with VRR. And in a few years I am sure it will be more prevelant but it is far from a common standard now and i doubt even 10% of people buying a Series X/PS5 have a TV that is compatible if it is even that high.

If you are gaming on a monitor it is more common but still not ubiquitous . I have a 1080p monitor with FreeSync and until I plug it in I have no idea if it will be compatible or not.

Most of the time, however, it will be hooked up to my TV and even then I could not say if it will work or not. It is a 2020 model it is 4K and has a 120hz mode but as far as I know it does not have VRR.

I am all for having options for future proofing. That is rarely if ever a bad thing. But I do wonder how much of the user base will even be able to make use of this. It is the same reason I understand why Sony do not currently bother with 1440p support. It is lamentable, but they clearly expect people to connect things up to a TV.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
That is great if you have a TV with VRR. And in a few years I am sure it will be more prevelant but it is far from a common standard now and i doubt even 10% of people buying a Series X/PS5 have a TV that is compatible if it is even that high.

If you are gaming on a monitor it is more common but still not ubiquitous . I have a 1080p monitor with FreeSync and until I plug it in I have no idea if it will be compatible or not.

Most of the time, however, it will be hooked up to my TV and even then I could not say if it will work or not. It is a 2020 model it is 4K and has a 120hz mode but as far as I know it does not have VRR.

I am all for having options for future proofing. That is rarely if ever a bad thing. But I do wonder how much of the user base will even be able to make use of this. It is the same reason I understand why Sony do not currently bother with 1440p support. It is lamentable, but they clearly expect people to connect things up to a TV.
Samsung TVs support 1440p. And specifically at 120Hz, as well. I'm sure other brands do. 1440p at 120Hz with HDR works with HDMI 2.0. 4k 120Hz with HDR does not work with HDMI 2.0.

That is why people want Sony to support 1440p (as well as monitors), because it allows older TVs to use 120Hz with HDR without downgrading to 1080p. It might mean you don't have to upgrade your TV

Of course, Sony is trying to sell TVs too, aren't they? 🤔

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.
It is great to have these options appearing for people with VRR displays so early in the generation.

A lot of people are buying new TVs for next-gen, and 4K120 VRR is the big new feature for gaming which was introduced with HDMI 2.1.
Even mid-range TVs are supporting it already (or will via an update) with popular displays like Sony's X900H.

This is not future-proofing; it's here today.
Samsung and LG have been supporting 120Hz VRR since 2019.

It's trivial to lock a game to 60 FPS like the PS5 version if you don't have VRR, but that's leaving a lot of performance on the table.
It looks to be running around 70–100% faster on XSX.

Last edited:

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is just like Rocket League, another game that can't support 120HZ on backward compatibility and developers doesn't care enough to do a PS5 SKU for the game.
Well one basically gives 120 fps for free the other does not. I'd imagine Rocket League and Warzone will eventually get native next gen apps being that they are still games being actively developed and played and this was just something quick for launch.

brobban

Oct 28, 2017
Tried it out on my LG CX, and until the VRR stutter gets fixed I'd rather play at 60hz. It's really bad as of now.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Warzone will get a native next gen version at some point.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Last edited:

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
3 Games actually.. But I disagree with the person you quoted. It's not worrying.

Edit: It's 4. Rocket league, Squadrons, CoD and Black Desert (MMO).

Xbox BC solution > Sony solution. As others and I have said for months to those saying "duh it's the same" people.
I think the Sony BC solution is far better than most expected, even though it clearly isn't as good as Microsoft's. I was expecting Sony's to be shoddy at original announcement.

On topic, this is much bigger an issue for smaller games, as you'd imagine GaaS titles like Warzone will have a native version at some point.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think the Sony BC solution is far better than most expected, even though it clearly isn't as good as Microsoft's. I was expecting Sony's to be shoddy at original announcement.
I think Sony did well and exceeded my expectations with their BC solution. There will always be those legacy mode BC games, but I thought less games would actually use game boost. So well done.

Nov 13, 2017
Have they still not sorted this? My LG screen on this game is an absolute disaster at 120hz.its bordering unplayable, any solutions other than dial back to good ol' reliable 60?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You have to buy Cold War to unlock the series s|x optimized versions of Warzone or is the same than the free version avaliable on the store? (Im sure that there are 2 launchers for warzone now)

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
A game not ported to ps5 within days of the ps5 launching and PS4 Backwards compatibility not supporting 120hz (which right not a tiny percentage of TVs have) is embarrassing?

As for VRR, it's early days, and by all accounts the Xbox seems to be tearing more on third party games then PS5, so relax on that one too bud. It'll come to PS5 soon enough.

I mean, VRR should have been there day 1. It's got me buying all my 3rd party games on XSX because of it, and I'd really like to use my dual sense triggers more often.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
God, I really hope they make a warzone for PS5, I can kinda sorta see it being a mess as it already is now. We have Cold War and Modern warefare that both launch WZ and can launch the other games, so throwing a PS5 version you would think should be pretty straighforward but I know activision/sony will mess it all up somehow. Make you download all versions(PS4 and 5), or will launch the PS4 version or some shit.

I appreciate the much faster loading times on PS5, but id like, better LOD, better texture filtering, etc too. Dont necessarily need 120, but an option would be nice.