• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say that the only concerning part of the trailer is that attacks don't seem to stagger enemies whatsoever, which is always the absolute worst way to design hack and slashes.
yeah that's a major flaw, when enemies don't have a hit reaction animation combat becomes so unsatisfying. hopefully that gets fixed since the game is early in development.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Akira Toriyama isn't a unique visual hook? Dude defined the look of manga in the 80s lmao

For real? You realize DQ1 came out in 1986? Back when it was a unique hook? Imagine the DQ12 reveal and some guy is like, "Whoa, is that Akira Toriyama art style? I know they did it 20 games in a row but I didn't think they'd do it 21 games in a row!"

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
For real? You realize DQ1 came out in 1986? Back when it was a unique hook? Imagine the DQ12 reveal and some guy is like, "Whoa, is that Akira Toriyama art style? I know they did it 20 games in a row but I didn't think they'd do it 21 games in a row!"

80s anime style is... Toriyama style lol

the art style of Dai is supposed to look like old Toriyama art work. the manga's art looks like old Toriyama...?

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
80s anime style is... Toriyama style lol

the art style of Dai is supposed to look like old Toriyama art work. the manga's art looks like old Toriyama...?

Toriyama's style is singular. No one else's stuff looks like his and he continued to be popular through the 90's, 2000's, down to today with DBSuper.

This game's character designs has a style widely reminiscent of the 70's, 80's that stayed in that era. So it's unique.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Koji Inada probably drew Dai no Daibouken because his style was so similar to Toriyama's at the time

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
God that looks limp.

Why bother making a 3d adventure game with bad hit impact? Like what's the point?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Reposting from the fanart thread but Im pretty pumped for this and this seems like the right place to share

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
yeah, i don't get this dude's point at all lmao

The only thing worse than a smartass is an obtuse smartass that doesn't get it. Like what's your point? That the characters don't have a unique look for a videogame? Why are you so invested in strashing my opinion of how it looks down? If it's that important to you, show me another videogame with in-game character models that look like that.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Man this game is getting strashed in this thread.

I remember vaguely watching a Dai anime aeons ago. That half ice half fire villain sure looks familiar. Will check it out for the nostalgia.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow, that's like a nearly universally dunked on response.

I fucking love this art direction. Dragon Quest XI is beautiful, but I'm actually more excited by this game's art direction -- that's straight-up Toriyama at his peak brought to life. That's the look I think of when I think of "Dragon Quest." I'm into it, stupid name and all.

Oct 31, 2017
The lack of VA is pretty weird considering there's an upcoming anime as well.

Wow, that's like a nearly universally dunked on response.

I fucking love this art direction. Dragon Quest XI is beautiful, but I'm actually more excited by this game's art direction -- that's straight-up Toriyama at his peak brought to life. That's the look I think of when I think of "Dragon Quest." I'm into it, stupid name and all.

I think Toriyama didn't even work on Dai though :P

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay, on the other hand, looks like it's only for little babies. No way I'm playing that.
Thanks, good to know I need to put you on ignore ;)

Game looks like it could be pretty fun. Will wait to see more as info releases. I actually liked Heroes 1 & 2 more than DQXI so this might also be a surprise.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks pretty good. Would have preferred a second turn-based RPG for the gen but I still quite enjoyed DQ Heroes so I'm in.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
OK, OK, thoroughly roasted for not knowing the esoterics of who the lead artist on this game is. I like the art direction, stop strashing me.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh...... That doesn't actually look very hot and I'm a fan of the series. I never read the manga so I'm looking forward to the anime at the very least

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like one of those crappo licensed anime games...except actually worse.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks, good to know I need to put you on ignore ;)

Game looks like it could be pretty fun. Will wait to see more as info releases. I actually liked Heroes 1 & 2 more than DQXI so this might also be a surprise.

Hey, I said the characters look cool. I can be charitable. I hope you love it. I'll wait for DQ12.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Aw yeah, they're using music from the new anime!

From what I understand, they said at the stream where this was shown that tepid reactions at the reveal made them decide to overhaul the graphics. Sounds like it still won't be released anytime soon.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Aw yeah, they're using music from the new anime!

From what I understand, they said at the stream where this was shown that tepid reactions at the reveal made them decide to overhaul the graphics. Sounds like it still won't be released anytime soon.

THEY MADE IT WORSE

They had a nice cel shading style before.

Now they went for smudged blended garbage like xenoverse. Wtf

The mobile game has perfect cel shade as well so this makes it look even worse in comparison.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly looks better than the last trailer but I prefer the DQXI art style over this. The music will get some getting used to as I prefer the traditional music for DQ.

Hopefully the dub will be on par with DQXI.