• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
for the people wondering about the dialogue
OEnR4up.png

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The stairs is one of the most famous dialogues in the game, why would you even want to skip it

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Took the stairs like always.

Also, it's april 19th in 2019 and we are discussing about Final Fantasy VII. It's a glorious world.

Oct 27, 2017
Stairs is humorous, but I normally storm the front door since it's more fun and dramatic.

I then take the time to head down the stairs to grab that elixir so it can go unused and hoarded in my inventory for the remainder of the game.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Stairs.

And now I wanna replay FF7.

Is there a mod for the music loop issue for the PC version or should i bust out the PS1 version?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Stairs were always fun. Going through the front is typical game style, so going the stairs was a funny change. It gives extra dialogue that was pretty funny at the time. It also made me remember the magic tower in FF6 with its stairs so that's an extra point.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Take the stairs, grab the elixir, hear Barrett whine then walk all the way back and storm the front anyway. Everyone's happy.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a fan translation or anything out there for PC or anything to clean up shit?
There's a pretty massive fan translation project on PC that retranslates the entire script called The Reunion. Went through it recently and it's pretty good.

It's an entirely new script based off the Japanese script rather than an attempt to clean up the English one, but it's high quality. I'd recommend turning on original item names and character names when setting it up, as there's otherwise some really weird choices like Phoenix Tail instead of Phoenix Down.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I am very sure that stairs won't be an option in the remake.
Only the cinematic fight through the front.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
200.gif

FFVII had many questionable dialogue lines and stereotypes but this particular line definitely will be changed in the remake.
As much as I want to play with a new translation, I don't think I can go without my blaxploitation Barrett. He was intrinsic to my experience growing up playing games that "only white kids" were supposed to play.

He was the dude who looked like me and talked like people I knew; I'm too emotionally attached to it.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Run up to the top of the stairs, then go back down and go in through the front.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Always the stairs, pretty sure I only stormed the front door once. I tended to grind enough to make any extra EXP from crashing the gates negligible.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
During my most thorough play throughs I take both lol....

Stairs until the top for items, then back down and through the front.

In general though I prefer the stairs.

Oct 29, 2017
FFVII had many questionable dialogue lines and stereotypes but this particular line definitely will be changed in the remake.

I'm certain it will. The original PS1 translation was very much of its time, filled with tons of "edgy" additional swears and expletives that were gratiuitously added to appeal to the teenage "cool" audience of the PS1. This was a very common thing to do with PS1 game localisations of the day...

Final Fantasy 4 PS1 is a particularily egrigious example of this trend! Thank God they fixed all of that with the GBA translation (which was excellent and is the version of the script they have used ever since).

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think stairs is far more immersive. Like, you're trying to sneak through the biggest corporation in the world's hq, it's just silly to attack by the front door.

Not that it will have any consequence anyway. But i'm playing a videogame and it's a lot more fun to assume it does.

That said, last gameplay i took the front route and watched that car ad cgs for the first time. Already finished this like 8+ times and never even tried to interact with stuff in the first floor before haha

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I always went the front door, the stairs are a miserable experience when you're not in 3X mode.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
First time through I took the stairs. For subsequent playthroughs, I either do both or just bust in the front.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
It makes more sense to take the stairs, since they aren't really sure that someone's infiltrating the HQ and when Rude catches you in the elevator you get busted.

However, I only took the stairs on my first playthrough. It was elevator every time since then.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I always took the stairs on every playthrough.

Except my last, I tried the front door for the first time. I really liked it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a pretty massive fan translation project on PC that retranslates the entire script called The Reunion. Went through it recently and it's pretty good.

It's an entirely new script based off the Japanese script rather than an attempt to clean up the English one, but it's high quality. I'd recommend turning on original item names and character names when setting it up, as there's otherwise some really weird choices like Phoenix Tail instead of Phoenix Down.

I like how their example is what I've always considered the worst translated line in the whole game:

{YUFFIE}
"Are you waiting for {CLOUD}?"{NEW}
"He's flying right now, so you can't get him."{NEW}
"Were you going to force me
into the submarine right now?"{NEW}
"Quit it!
If you want to go, then just leave me behind."{NEW}
"…ooooooh.
What're you talking about? I…"

Borderline gibberish.