• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I prefer the N64 version of Majora's Mask, when factoring in the content changes. The QOL stuff from the 3DS version is fine, like the gyro aiming, the new location for the bank, and the more convenient save system. But I hated the changes to the bosses, Zora swimming was basically ruined, and moving the Stone Mask was DUUUUMB.

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't like the Okami Wii port, it was blurry and the paper filter was too much compared to the PS2. Drawing the symbols with the wiimote seemed like a great idea in concept, but I found it unpractical in the end.

The Hd port on switch is fantastic though.
As I recall, the drawing implementation on the Wii version simply wasn't very good. They got it right with the Move controller in the PS3 version, which given that it's also in HD, I think makes it the definitive version of the game (I've finished both versions).

I haven't played it on PS4 (didn't buy it because no 60fps), but I think the PS4 version has the advantage of being 4K, but also lacks the Move support from the PS3 version.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people like the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, that cuts out a lot of the progression and between-mission fluff that slows the game down.
The Wii version was an entirely different version though. The gameplay and level design in the daytime stages(and perhaps nighttime too, but I don't remember a single thing) are totally different

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands for WIi. It's quite different to the HD versions, and for me, a funnier experience

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I for one did not like the updated graphics of Halo CE Anniversary. They were super overdesigned and like someone through flurorecent paint on everything and put the saturation to max. Lost a lot of the atmopshere.

Agreed. Let's not even talk about the fucking troll face they thought would be funny to include.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is because I played Golden first but I am on the side of P4G Chie >>>>> P4 Chie.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I think the SNES version of Chrono Trigger is still the best version, even though I believe the consensus is that the DS version is the best?

I don't like the added content AT ALL, so the version without it is better, even if the content is optional.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent-DVD-Xbox.jpg

EDIT: to explain a little bit better to those who don't know it, this version of the game was made by the same developers of chaos theory, while the xbox 360 was made by another team. I consider this version the better game, doesn't help that I played the next gen version on PC, which was a pretty bad port.
Yep, waaaay better game. Btw on this version (I played on PS2) the trust meeter between good and bad guys goes back and forth when you make those choices like the RDR2 honor system.

With the "next gen" version instead you can gain both meeters at the same time, which doesn't make any sense...

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is better than vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2.

They cut out most of the annoying bullshit and added some new better boss fights in place of repeat fights. Also has a decent multiplayer co-op mode that somehow still has people playing it to this day. Extra bonus levels that are short and fun and have their own unique bosses.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily prefer it over the original, but the Playstation Doom port is damn good and used it's limitations to differentiate itself and had a new soundtrack and amazing lighting with more emphasis on a horror atmosphere.

I definitely wish it would get a modern port that would emulate it in it's original form instead of relying on PC wads.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Console and Arcade ports on Windows and DOS that supported general midi and Roland sc cards in general

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
It's funny how any place on the internet will say P4G is clearly better because "more stuff! its definitive" but in retrospect almost everyone agrees that vanilla is the better game. How many people didn't pick up the series because they couldn't play the "real game" on the Vita.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Unleashed on the Wii lacks the stupid hub found in the 360 version. IMO that makes it better.
Sonic Unleashed is way better on PS2/Wii than the PS3/360
I have to echo both of these sentiments. Unleashed Wii had a more natural difficulty curve, no bullshit fake difficulty level design, a greater focus on drifting that makes the game feel more like a racing game, significantly shorter and more tolerable Werehog sections, it breaks up Eggmanland into multiple stages rather than the one gigantic slog (nevermind the significantly better level design), a better version of the Dark Gaia final boss, and the idea of the stock of extra lives that can be increased and automatically replenishes when you leave a level is an interesting one.

Is it missing chunks of content? Yes, but honestly one of the cut 'zones' (Empire City) was trash anyway, so that kinda blunts how big an issue that was.

Last edited:

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how any place on the internet will say P4G is clearly better because "more stuff! its definitive" but in retrospect almost everyone agrees that vanilla is the better game. How many people didn't pick up the series because they couldn't play the "real game" on the Vita.
To be fair, P4G is still great, Marie is just kinda lackluster as a character. The rest of the new content is pretty much excellent for the most part.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
I agree. It's glitchy but it looks more like the arcade. Remix reduced the detail all around in favor of textures. I'm not a fan.

I much prefer the flat shading polygon myself. I don't think AM#2 reduced the detail but more just used the VDP2 to handle the floor and that alone took a lot of work off the VDP1. Also have to say the sound effects and music to both Saturn VF and VF Remix remain the best to this very day.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 4 base is better than Golden
This is blasphemy. Marie alone makes the entire thing worth it.

I don't know. I preferred it. I struggle to go back to vanilla 4.

Not sure if this counts, but P3FES over P3P by far. P3P may have FeMC and quality of life improvements, but the lack of models and cutscenes makes it hard to enjoy.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Don't know if it fits, but I prefer the original PS1 Castlevania Symphony of the Night over the fixed/updated port that first came with the PSP game Dracula X Chronicles
Honestly, I think the PlayStation (1) version of SotN is the best. Oddly, I prefer the Saturn version. Sure, the Saturn version has horrible performance, but I love some of the game play tweaks in it. For example, you have a 'third hand' to assign consumables to, meaning you no longer have to remove a weapon or shield in order to use healing items. Also, the Wing Smash you can do in bat form has maximum range without you having to manually extend it by re-entering the Wing Smash command repeatedly, which makes it so much easier to control your elevation when traveling quickly for long distances. Since you don't have to repeatedly perform the Wing Smash, it uses a hell of a lot less MP, as well, making it more convenient to fill in large areas of the map in more open areas without running out of MP. I also love being able to run more quickly as Alucard upon reaching the end of the first castle, though I do wish that ability was introduced much earlier. It's not as though a faster run speed gives you that much of an advantage in combat or anything, so I don't understand why they just threw it into the mix halfway through the game.

That said, I haven't played the Saturn version in a long time, as my current TV doesn't have support for composite cables, and any solution I've used to connect my Saturn to my TV via HDMI resulted in the resolution switch that takes place between game play and menus in the Saturn version of SotN causing the video signal to drop for several seconds. As such, upon exiting the menu when it close proximity to enemies, you'd spend 2-3 seconds getting knocked around, since you couldn't see what was happening until the Framemeister or OSSC found the video signal again. Thankfully, I recently received a RAD2X cable for my Saturn in the mail, and that's supposed to resolve that issue.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
Speaking of Splinter Cell, remember when the original was released on PlayStation 2 a while after it was released on Xbox? That was really weird, as I recall the lighting being seriously scaled back in that version.
the ps2 port of the original had some additional levels if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of portable ports.
But I specifically want to mention the Vita version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's the full game but not irremediable compromised like 3DS version

I had so much fun with it!

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
gba_kingdom_hearts_chain_of_memories_p_rtn5fa.jpg

The PS2 version of Chain of Memories looks great but the GBA version plays the best in my opinion.

34639-Mortal_Kombat_II_(USA)-4.jpg

The easy difficulty alone makes the SNES version of MK2 the best version in my opinion.

th

Despite being a very early Wii port, this version of Godfather controls really well. I always pick this version over the better looking Xbox 360 & PS3 versions.

138673-bully-scholarship-edition-wii-front-cover.jpg

The Wii version of Bully SE has better controls & less glitches than the Xbox 360 version.

Wouldn't this be considered the best version of the game? At least until Volition releases the PC patch they are working on.
The gentlemen mod helps make it a stable 30 fps so i guess it's still technically "better" on PC.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the Nintendo Switch is the king of this currently. I already owned Assassin's Creed 3 on PC where it shines far brighter than Switch, but I enjoyed playing the King Washington stuff portable. Switch also turns off and on super quick, so I feel like the same would be true for The Witcher 3.

Oct 29, 2017
As I recall, the drawing implementation on the Wii version simply wasn't very good. They got it right with the Move controller in the PS3 version, which given that it's also in HD, I think makes it the definitive version of the game (I've finished both versions).

I haven't played it on PS4 (didn't buy it because no 60fps), but I think the PS4 version has the advantage of being 4K, but also lacks the Move support from the PS3 version.

The Switch version brings back the motion controls from the PS3 version; and it also adds touchscreen drawing in handheld mode too. The Switch version is easily the best one.

Wouldn't the 3DS version be better in every single way if you got the classic character portrait DLC? I can't really think of any advantage the DS version has over the 3DS remaster.

I think the SNES version of Chrono Trigger is still the best version, even though I believe the consensus is that the DS version is the best?

I don't like the added content AT ALL, so the version without it is better, even if the content is optional.

Agreed. The new content is so bad that it damages the rest of the game by association.

Also the new localisation is nowhere near as good as the original Woolsey script. Music quality is worse too (especially the final boss battle, which got utterly butchered in the DS version).

Same goes for FF6 as well. The SNES version is the only one worth bothering with.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
Sonic is better on the Master System AND Game Gear than on Genesis.
Street Fighter II is better on SNES than arcade.
Aladdin is better on SNES than Genesis (more fun, at least).
The Godfather is much, much, much better on the Wii than PS3/360. The motion controls are MUCH better than traditional controls there.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are mentioning they prefer the original versions of games, but the OP was talking about "inferior conversions/ports?" Oh well, here, are my picks.

supersmash3ds1jpg-8006fa.jpg

The 3DS version came out first, but I think most would agree that the Wii U version is the superior version, especially audio and visually. But whenever I wanted to just play a few quick games online, I always found myself grabbing the 3DS version instead. It was just easier to open it and start playing, whereas with the Wii U version I'd have to get the gamepad, then get my GameCube controller, and specifically sitdown in front of the TV. Also online play wasn't as sweaty due to all the better players likely sticking with the Wii U version.

And for something more recent:

Diablo31536859443754.jpeg

Hardcore Diablo 3 players generally prefer the PC version, but after spending about 130 hours with the Switch version, I tried reinstalling the PC version and I just couldn't do it anymore. Playing Diablo with a controller just feels right to me. The Switch version while being visually the worst, is still looks excellent, especially in portable mode and the framerate holds 60 for the majority of play. There are downsides though, such as lack of native voice chat, and requiring a Nintendo online sub to play online. But all in all, it's still probably my favorite version of D3.

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Tekken: Dark Resurrection (PSP) is far and away my preferred version of Tekken 5. The visuals, clearly, aren't as good, and it's harder to get into for multiplayer, but the inclusion of Tekken Bowl and Dragunov are two of many additions that elevate it in my mind.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 on PS2 versus Gamecube for all that extra Separate Ways content, even though the GC version is significantly technically superior.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
138673-bully-scholarship-edition-wii-front-cover.jpg

The Wii version of Bully SE has better controls & less glitches than the Xbox 360 version.

Not a port, but I think my favourite version is the original PS2 version. Yes, it has less content and looks worse than the other versions, but it's stable and pretty polished. I have the Wii version too, but I don't like the motion controls much. If it had an option for standard pad controls it would also have been my favourite.

Last edited:

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
The switch in general is bring a lot of this. There is just something easy & breezy about playing games on that platform that makes them a real pleasure to play there. As long as the gameplay is intact and there is a playable framerate, (something close to 30 fps, and I don't even care if a few frames are dropped in stress), I really don't care that something is running in 720p (or every slightly less) on the small screen.

Witcher 3 is the latest example. Just so convenient to just pick up and play- enjoy on the tv, undock and play in bed, on the go, etc. Skyrim and Diablo 3 also gave similar feelings- had the most fun playing them on Switch than anywhere else.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Well if we're playing that game.

Etrian Odyssey 2
SMT: Strange Journey
Radiant Historia

Titles above are superior to their remakes.
I've heard the argument that Devil Survivor Overclocked is also weakened by the addition of a "True Ending" where everyone survives and redeeming the asshole villain.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't the 3DS version be better in every single way if you got the classic character portrait DLC? I can't really think of any advantage the DS version has over the 3DS remaster.
First of all the old portraits locked behind a paywall is disgraceful enough but then there is the new plotline where the main story butchered because of the Atlus New Girl. The original DS ending ended perfectly with everything tied up with a neat bow which probably makes it possibly the worst Atlus remake to date, yes even more worse than Redux.

I've heard the argument that Devil Survivor Overclocked is also weakened by the addition of a "True Ending" where everyone survives and redeeming the asshole villain.
Eh not exactly, it sorta happens in the 8th day Kingdom of Saints route but the villain isn't truly redeemed. I consider Overclocked to be the better of the Atlus updated ports/remakes personally, although the 8th day Yuzu route and one part of the Overlord route is admittedly weak compared to the other endings.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
MK1 and MK2 on Genesis are better than the SNES versions. MK1 on SNES is litterally broken (unblockable uppercuts after blocked jump kicks) and MK2 on Genesis just plays better than SNES.

Always liked the PS1 version of Doom with the ambient music and moodier lighting. Made it into more of a horror game reminiscent of Doom 3:

It's not just the music and lighting that make this game as great as it is. The sound effects have an echo and sometimes you can her monsters breathing and grumbling in nearby rooms.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
This is going to be unpopular....but most Atlus games...

I love the originals but always feel they are a bit too padded, especially Persona. While I have enjoyed the additional characters, remakes just feel too long.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Creatures is an interesting one because it was a technical marvel for the C64, whereas on Amiga it felt like just another game (maybe this is why the sequel only got a C64 version?).

I'm not sure why Creatures 2 - Torture Trouble wasn't ported to the Amiga and ST, but the games were designed and developed by the Rowlands brothers (John and Steve) for the C64 alone, and it was another team that Thalamus got to do the ST and then Amiga versions - the Rowlands had nothing to do with it. Probably Thalamus collapsing not long after the release of Torture Trouble was the reason - Wikipedia states that "...various Amiga projects were spiralling out of budget".