• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It was better and that's in part because the original DOA2 arcade hardware was running on Sega's NAOMI board.
Well, the PS2 port was pretty basic. It could have been superior if they had used a different display mode as it features a range of new effects and runs all cutscenes at 60fps. Alas, the second iteration of the DC version (Japan only) is the best version.

I prefer the original version of Virtua Fighter on the Saturn compared to Remix. I will take those blocky 3d characters any day.
I agree. It's glitchy but it looks more like the arcade. Remix reduced the detail all around in favor of textures. I'm not a fan.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Twilight Princess - I prefer the Gamecube version because Link is left handed in it.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I like the Heroes' Paradise version of No More Heroes. It's just what I'm used to I guess? I always prefer using a Dualshock to the Wiimote.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Played through MGS2 and RE4 on PC without mousesupport for my first playthrough. Any camera-movement/aiming with a stick on console still feels terrible, slow and non-responsive 20 years later.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of Splinter Cell, remember when the original was released on PlayStation 2 a while after it was released on Xbox? That was really weird, as I recall the lighting being seriously scaled back in that version.

The gulf was insane. I remember the Ps2 version of Chaos Theory kinda looking like a DS game next to the Xbox version, which at the time was a technical marvel for a console game.

Jun 2, 2019
Worth it. Shaking the Wii-mote is so awful feeling. At least to me.

Nah, not worth it in my opinion. Stick aiming is so awful that IR aiming improves the game tenfold.

Oh well, opinions and stuff.

As for the topic at hand, OutRun 3DS (or every single 3DS superscaler game) is the superior version for me over other 60 fps versions like Switch or cannonball, if anything, for the stereoscopic 3D implementation wich is GODLY and hassle free.

Seriously, I got the Switch version of OutRun and I have a hard time playing it because of the lack of 3D

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doom 3 had some abbreviated level design and co-op stages over LAN on Xbox. I prefer it to the more bloated version on PC.

I think there are some differences with weapon switching while reloading to make the game swifter but don't quote me on that.

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch version of Dark Souls has the original lighting compared to the sort of fucked up lighting in the remaster on ps4, xbox one and pc.

Jun 26, 2018
Don't know if it fits, but I prefer the original PS1 Castlevania Symphony of the Night over the fixed/updated port that first came with the PSP game Dracula X Chronicles

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
While I like the different take that the removal of fog and greater fidelity gives Shadow of the Colossus, the original's art direction and the fog make the experience more atmospheric, oppressive, and harrowing.

Conversely, the remake feels a bit more isolated and desolate now that you can see over long expanses. Not a bad thing but the change in art direction evokes different emotions.

I prefer the original and would implore people to play it as well if they have only played the remake.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The Switch version of Dark Souls has the original lighting compared to the sort of fucked up lighting in the remaster on ps4, xbox one and pc.

As someone who has played every release of Dark Souls to completion, I can say for certain that the remastered versions on PC/PS4/Xbox One are indeed the worst versions of the game and I preferred the Switch version to the others.

Nov 8, 2017
"Prefer" is a strong word, but there are definitely a lot of games that I'll still play on Commodore 64 even though Amiga versions also exist. Creatures, Wizball, Head Over Heels, The Last Ninja, and Turrican II are just a few examples (that's not to say I won't also play the Amiga versions, just depends what mood I'm in).

Creatures is an interesting one because it was a technical marvel for the C64, whereas on Amiga it felt like just another game (maybe this is why the sequel only got a C64 version?).

I prefered the PS1 version of DOOM over the other versions at the time. PS1 version had that amazing soundtrack which was and still is better than the MIDI music from the other versions. I preferred playing with a controller too.

Nowadays I use a WAD file that inserts the PS1 soundtrack when playing ZDOOM or other source ports.
I'd argue that "inferior"/"better" in this case is very much debatable. Yes, the PS1 lacked some levels, monster, and detail from the original game, but on the other, it improved not only the soundtrack that you mentioned, but also replaced all the stock sounds with much nicer ones, added environmental reverb effects, and coloured sector lighting, so I don't think either version can be argued to be definitively better than the other.

I also liked how PS1 DOOM forces you to play more carefully, since you can't save your game mid-level.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I didn't like the Okami Wii port, it was blurry and the paper filter was too much compared to the PS2. Drawing the symbols with the wiimote seemed like a great idea in concept, but I found it unpractical in the end.

The Hd port on switch is fantastic though.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
DFDAF6-B8-549-D-48-B0-A6-D5-437-B8-FEAC451.jpg

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion MS/GG is a thousand times better than 16-bit version. I love that Mickey can't 'shoot apples'. The whole game revolves around carrying and throwing objects, using them to solve puzzles and as a method of combat. Even the treasure chests can be used to destroy enemies before opening them. It always feels funny and satisfying and playful. I also prefer the art style and think Mickey's sprite is fantastic.

These days I can't play the mega-drive version or remake without wanting to play the ultimate version.

Any other fans of this game?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Unleashed Wii is one of the best Sonic games. It's easily the best one since Adventure 2, and for me nothing has come close in terms of 3D games since.

HD is great too, but only when you're playing day stages post game with a leveled up Sonic. Everything else drags the game down.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Sonic Unleashed Wii is one of the best Sonic games. It's easily the best one since Adventure 2, and for me nothing has come close in terms of 3D games since.

HD is great too, but only when you're playing day stages post game with a leveled up Sonic. Everything else drags the game down.

Can you explain what makes the Wii version so much better? I've seen lots of people say it's the better game, but I've played both and I just never got where the love was coming from.

Oct 27, 2017

Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion MS/GG is a thousand times better than 16-bit version. I love that Mickey can't 'shoot apples'. The whole game revolves around carrying and throwing objects, using them to solve puzzles and as a method of combat. Even the treasure chests can be used to destroy enemies before opening them. It always feels funny and satisfying and playful. I also prefer the art style and think Mickey's sprite is fantastic.

These days I can't play the mega-drive version or remake without wanting to play the ultimate version.

You have my axe.

The MS version is vastly much better than the IMO overrated and mediocre MD/Genesis version.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill

With you a 100% The MS/GG versions might not be as visually impressive as the 16 bit game, but has more depth, and more interesting level design. They remind me a bit of the NES Disney games from Capcom. The sequels are pretty dope too.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Both are good but I honestly liked the MD version better, and I had the SMS version first...

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can you explain what makes the Wii version so much better? I've seen lots of people say it's the better game, but I've played both and I just never got where the love was coming from.

No hub areas to drag the pacing down, and the werehog stuff is more fun to play, even if it's a bit more frequent.

As for the day stages, I prefer the slower pace, and that feel more like a racing game on replays, if that makes sense. The HD stages are fun, but they're more a case of pattern memorisation. The was a thread earlier this week about shmups Vs Bullet Hell's, and I feel like that's how I feel about the two. Like, if I picked up HD for the first time in a few years, there's no way I'd be able to get through the level "flawlessly" without going through it a few times to remember the ideal routes. With Wii, it's more a case of reacting to what I see, than knowing what's coming before hand.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Doom 2016 on Switch compared to the PC / PS4 / One versions.
Superior gyro controls and I got time to finish the game on the go.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Ocarina of Time preferred over the 3DS remake. They fucked up Links model, why could't they use the model from SSBM?
I prefer 3DS Ocarina of Time to the N64, but definitely prefer N64 Majora's Mask to the 3DS version.

I'm also not a fan of the 3DS visuals, but the improved controls were enough to sell me on OoT at least.

MM on the other hand, that's when the visuals got in the way. I loved the the dark atmosphere and shading of the N64 version, which they ruined in the 3DS version. I'm still on the fence about the other changes. But the visuals definitely didn't do anything for me.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Watches as the entire thread will be about the Switch port of The Witcher 3...

In all seriousness, though, I prefer the non-Metroid Prime Trilogy versions of Metroid Prime 1 and Metroid Prime 3, if only because the Trilogy version removed certain fancy effects, made certain rooms less intricate, and took out the general saying "Damn!" in MP3. Let's also not forget the various sequence breaking glitches that Retro tried to "fix"...

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the Gamecube version of RE4. It still has shaders unique to it despite the PC modding community's best efforts, iirc. More notably, it also has more discrepancies in regards to weapon handling and damage numbers - aiming in general is more methodical than PS2-onwards. The only downside is perhaps the knife damage, which is pathetic.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Phelios on Genesis, I like the way it looks even though the arcade is technically superior.

The second level, I love the clouds, scrolling and use of color on the Genesis version a lot.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Always liked the PS1 version of Doom with the ambient music and moodier lighting. Made it into more of a horror game reminiscent of Doom 3:

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Castle of Illusion and Sonic 1 were better games on the Master System than on the Mega Drive.

I should have read the whole thread before posting but yeah, I agree about Castle of Illusion on the Master SYstem :P

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I prefer the races in Forza Horizon 2 for Xbox 360, and there aren't those stupid meetings when you start a game.

81xZnWHasAL._AC_SY500_.jpg

Last edited:

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
gba_kingdom_hearts_chain_of_memories_p_rtn5fa.jpg

The PS2 version of Chain of Memories looks great but the GBA version plays the best in my opinion.

34639-Mortal_Kombat_II_(USA)-4.jpg

The easy difficulty alone makes the SNES version of MK2 the best version in my opinion.

th

Despite being a very early Wii port, this version of Godfather controls really well. I always pick this version over the better looking Xbox 360 & PS3 versions.

138673-bully-scholarship-edition-wii-front-cover.jpg

The Wii version of Bully SE has better controls & less glitches than the Xbox 360 version.

Wouldn't this be considered the best version of the game? At least until Volition releases the PC patch they are working on.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I like the OG Link's Awakening better than the DX and the Remake.
EDIT: whoops, that's uh, not a conversion or port. I'm awful at comprehension today.

I like the TMNT Arcade game better on NES than Arcade, for purely nostalgia reasons.
I can't agree with this, I had the NES version and was pretty disappointed with the cuts that were made due to the NES's limitations, the extras were cool but I don't think they made up for it.

I still kind of regret asking for it for Christmas given the price at the time and limited replay value, I could've gotten like, The Legend of Zelda and maybe another game instead for it's price. But I was young and dumb. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm more fond of NES Double Dragon games than their arcade counterparts.
This I can agree with though, despite their limitations.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I prefer NES version of Gradius over the Arcade version. I think it looks sharper, but the music is not as good, but good enough.

Jun 17, 2018
Witcher 3 for Switch. I've only ever been able to get up to the Bloody Baron quest before dropping the game due to time restrictions.

Now I'm 35 hours in and loving it. Graphics are downgraded and loading times after death are bad, still loving it though and would choose this port over the better looking versions.

If that isn't on topic enough for you. Doom on PSX, my favourite version due to the music.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Duck Tales on the Gameboy. Yeah you don't have fancy colour, but the pogo stick controls are simplified so you only need to press B instead of Down + B, and that is a game changer to me.