• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Araex

Oct 27, 2017
For those that don't want to use voice control or fiddle with phone apps to control lights like me:

I've been using this kit for 3-4 years now, and I love the simple implementation of it. When I need to wake up in the middle of night to feed the kid or whatever, just a simple click to turn it on.

The basic kit comes with a bulb that has 3 spectrum settings and is dimmable. There are color bulbs and an accessory to connect to alexa/homekit/etc as well.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A packable down jacket. I've got a Uniqlo one.

packable-down-jacket.jpg

They weigh nothing and pack down small enough to always have in your bag.

Once you put it on and get moving they are pretty warm. It's much better than taking a bucky jacket that you may not wear, then be stuck wearing or carrying it.

I got one of these years ago from Old Navy. I used the shit out of that thing. Plus it was great when raining too!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of these
7b088c0a-7c07-491a-9e6f-624185833f3c_1.f608e09b3d5ad68482d41db996befd7d.jpeg

If you don't already have a kitchen sink faucet that has a built-in hose, getting one of those things is great and makes it so much easier to wash the sink or anything in it.

Bought mine for like 5$ at Walmart, it has two different spray modes that you can swap by pulling/pushing on it and it literally takes 30 seconds to install on your faucet.
For those that don't want to use voice control or fiddle with phone apps to control lights like me:

I've been using this kit for 3-4 years now, and I love the simple implementation of it. When I need to wake up in the middle of night to feed the kid or whatever, just a simple click to turn it on.

The basic kit comes with a bulb that has 3 spectrum settings and is dimmable. There are color bulbs and an accessory to connect to alexa/homekit/etc as well.
Links?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one I bought but this is the cheapest version I found with the Walmart housebrand. It's a generic enough item that you could probably go with any one you find that looks similar.

www.walmart.ca

Peerless Swivel Aerator in Chrome/White, Swivel Aerator in White/Chrome - Walmart.ca

Buy Peerless Swivel Aerator in Chrome/White, Swivel Aerator in White/Chrome from Walmart Canada. Shop for more Faucet Accessories available online at Walmart.ca

Sep 14, 2019
As someone without a car and with shops in walking distance I find this thing really damn useful:
71xFOQVuQIL._SX342_.jpg

(goes by the brand name Clax)

A foldable shopping trolley (folds down to the size of the bottom level and has small feet to stand on its side then, you can detach the wheels if you need it even smaller) that takes those standard folding boxes so you just shop with the trolley, push it home and detach the box to carry it up the stairs.

Oh my goodness, I love this!

I don't drive, but I tend to get a lot of stuff at the grocery store in one go. Definitely gonna check this out.

Edit: Yikes! That thing's expensive!

... But still cheaper than a car... So worth it I guess.

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
This thread makes me want to buy an electric tootbrush..

Is Sonicare Protective Clean enough (I can get two for 130 euro) or should I aim for Diamond Clean? (230 euro). Not diamond clean smart of course, those are like 500 for two lol

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Is Sonicare Protective Clean enough (I can get two for 130 euro) or should I aim for Diamond Clean? (230 euro). Not diamond clean smart of course, those are like 500 for two lol
Protective clean looks fine. Had a diamond clean but didn't notice any real difference from my basic Sonicare that died.

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone have a recommendation on a smaller-sized safe? For documents, passports, other valuables, etc. Every time I look at a few on Amazon, the reviews will turn me off to them.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a couple for popcorn.

This is essentially what is used in movie theater popcorn. It has a slight butter flavor and it is really salty so a little goes a long way. But for $6 this will last a lifetime.

For something different, I've been putting this on popcorn as an alternative to the Flavacol above and oh my, it's great.
Thank you! Their "everything but the bagel" shake is really good -- I'm going to have to give this a try.
71WchoLi3BL._SL1500_.jpg

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a couple for popcorn.

This is essentially what is used in movie theater popcorn. It has a slight butter flavor and it is really salty so a little goes a long way. But for $6 this will last a lifetime.

For something different, I've been putting this on popcorn as an alternative to the Flavacol above and oh my, it's great.
Thank you! Their "everything but the bagel" shake is really good -- I'm going to have to give this a try.
71WchoLi3BL._SL1500_.jpg
I suggest trying nutritional yeast on popcorn for an interesting flavor. I just use that and salt and it's delicious.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY

Anything beyond the base Protective Clean is a scam. The extra features are dumb and/or useless, and all of these things lose their abilty to hold a decent charge after 18 months anyway. You can always buy different brush heads if you a small improvement (or want to feel like it's doing something "better" lol).

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I really love my Zojirushi travel mugs. Keeps my coffee hot and so far mine have never leaked in the 5+ years I have owned them.

I also think the Kindle is pretty inexpensive and that is one of my favorite tech things ever. I think I am on my 3rd one (lost one and the 2nd one broke after many years of use). But they have pretty much perfected them and its so easy to sync on your phone as well so you always have easy access to your books whenever you want.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Years back I bought a portable air compressor and to this day I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made. It saved my butt so many times if I had a leak in my tires and wasn't near a gas station or didn't have change to use one of their compressors. I think they're typically around $40-$50. Just leave that sucker in your trunk and you're set.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think the Kindle is pretty inexpensive and that is one of my favorite tech things ever. I think I am on my 3rd one (lost one and the 2nd one broke after many years of use). But they have pretty much perfected them and its so easy to sync on your phone as well so you always have easy access to your books whenever you want.
A Kindle makes the child in me fucking go bananas, the library on the go, a thing only dreamed of. It makes me all gushy with the possibilities and how nice it is to be alive during such a time I can easily swap between uh, everything I'd ever like to read and more?

Lol. I'll never afford that house now.
posted from iPhone
rotten, opulent millenials.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

Any kind of Sonicare will be a world of improvement. I guarantee your dental hygienist will comment on the state of your teeth after you've been using it for a bit.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I suggest trying nutritional yeast on popcorn for an interesting flavor. I just use that and salt and it's delicious.
You literally took the words out of my mouth hands!

Nutritional Yeast is amazing. Popcorn, kale chips, soup, whatever - it adds such a rich delicious flavor and you can buy it in bulk from some grocery stores for super cheap. Or just get this:

3.jpg

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The AeroPress. Makes excellent coffee and there's not much to clean. I use it every day.
I got one of these for xmas, it's a great pick for this thread. If you're into coffee it's a very inexpensive way to make varied cups... tho you also need a grinder ideally and those are gonna run you a little more at least.

I'd also say just a french press for people who don't like dicking around with coffee recipes, it's way easier and more convenient to get good cups (and unlike aeropress, you can get multiple cups in a single brew).

Alexander89

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Any kind of Sonicare will be a world of improvement. I guarantee your dental hygienist will comment on the state of your teeth after you've been using it for a bit.

Protective clean looks fine. Had a diamond clean but didn't notice any real difference from my basic Sonicare that died.

Anything beyond the base Protective Clean is a scam. The extra features are dumb and/or useless, and all of these things lose their abilty to hold a decent charge after 18 months anyway. You can always buy different brush heads if you a small improvement (or want to feel like it's doing something "better" lol).

thanks for the replies, ordered these

HX6830_44-IMS-sk_SK

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You literally took the words out of my mouth hands!

Nutritional Yeast is amazing. Popcorn, kale chips, soup, whatever - it adds such a rich delicious flavor and you can buy it in bulk from some grocery stores for super cheap. Or just get this:

3.jpg
Fuck. My girlfriend randomly picked up a pack of nutritional yeast like a year ago and I fell in love. I can't do added cheese because of lactose intolerance, but it almost perfectly replaces that on stuff like eggs. (i mean, not really perfectly, but in my case its the best replacement I've found).

Problem is I can't find it in stock at any grocery stores, my girlfriend got it at trader joes and there's not one close by to us.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. My girlfriend randomly picked up a pack of nutritional yeast like a year ago and I fell in love. I can't do added cheese because of lactose intolerance, but it almost perfectly replaces that on stuff like eggs. (i mean, not really perfectly, but in my case its the best replacement I've found).

Problem is I can't find it in stock at any grocery stores, my girlfriend got it at trader joes and there's not one close by to us.
Tried Amazon? Or some other mail order shop?

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I'll see your popcorn popper and raise you A DIFFERENT POPCORN POPPER:

81oGPdZmkwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's a silicon popcorn popper. It's $10-$20 on Amazon depending on which one you buy. You throw some kernals in the bottom of the bowl, (with or without oil, it's fine either way,) microwave it for 2-3 minutes, and you got yourself a bowl of fresh hot popcorn.
Real talk, I was dubious about it. I wanted a new popcorn popper, and this random-ass silicon bowl was the highest-rated popcorn popper on Amazon. But for $12, I took a chance, and it works amazingly well. I have two now so that when I'm making large batches of popcorn I can swap them out of the microwave.
I'm flabbergasted. How does it not require oil??? I love my Whirlygig but not requiring any oil...man.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Has it been explained how these are necessary when there are a million other things you can use for white noise, including white noise apps on your phone or whatever? Do they produce better white noise or is it just a matter of convenience having a dedicated white noise machine?
Compared to using an actual fan, the dedicated noise machines use far less power and don't create airflow that isn't needed. Compared to a phone... for me personally, the dedicated noise machine is more convenient. I need white noise every night, and the dedicated white noise maker is in the same spot, playing the same noise with no looping, at the same dB level. My phone doesn't need to be on and running. And personally, I find the noise machine creates a better sounding white noise than most apps or sound files I've used on a phone speaker.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm not sure if I already posted this, but a few months ago (since starting to work from home, and so much more time sitting) I picked up this thing called a Shepherd's Hook Massage Tool for about $20:

ABuw4Ml.png

You use this to apply direct pressure to specific points on your back. Due to the shape, you can use the full strength of both of your arms to any point on your back without needing to contort your arms, and you can get the next-to-impossible to reach places on your back. 3 minutes every few hours and it's actually freaking amazing. Like a next-level back scratcher.

YaazQ0o.png

List of everything in thread so far

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Here's a not-comprehensive-but-close-enough list of all the recommendations made in this thread, or at least the ones I didn't miss. If anyone knows how to format it better, let me know. I tried to find the item on amazon if the user didn't link to it.

Format:
Link to post - amazon or website link - price

Page 1
Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Towel - amazon - $14
wubbanub pacifier - amazon - $14
White Noise Machine - amazon - $15
Kizik Shoes - website
Box Cutter 'Slice' - amazon - ~$10
Aeropress - amazon - $30
O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream - amazon - $8

Page 2
Several items in one post with amazon links: Bidet(yes!), Airfryer, Light Alarm Clock, Exfoliating Back Scrubber, SmartPlugs connected to Alexa
Echo Alarm Clock - amazon - $30
Yeti water bottle - lots of models on amazon
Cast iron bacon press - amazon - $18
Gerber shard multitool - amazon - $8
Keyport key holder - website
ScoopFree automatic litter box for cats - amazon - $170 but there's a cheaper model

Page 3
Several recommendations by reKon:
Gerber EAB Pocket Knife - $16
Oral-B Pro 1000 Electric tooth brush - $40
RAVPower 61W PD Charger (with GAN tech) - $29
KASA Smart Plugs - ?
FIDELO Minimalist Wallet - $37

Garage door monitor (doesn't control the garage door) - amazon - $35
Some drain cleaner thing I dunno - amazon - $70.57
Steam mop - amazon, there's several models, I chose the cheapest one I found - $61
Microwave pasta cooker - amazon - $17
Squatty Potty - amazon - $25

Page 4
Chefman 6.3 Air Fryer - amazon - $117
No-touch door opener plus other stuff - amazon - $5
Compression Boxer-Briefs w/ cell phone pocket - amazon - $26
SoyaJoy Soy milk maker thing- amazon - ?

Page 5
Koss porta pro black headphones - amazon - $35.41 (interesting, might get one)
Manker MC13 light (some crazy flashlight) - amazon - ? (Lots of additional info came later for these)
Several recommendations by cheebdragonite: Tubshroom - Tongue scrapper - Desk heater

Page 6
Avocado Slicer - amazon - $10
Grease splatter screen - amazon - $18
Suggestions for food and cleaning by ProfessionalBastart: whole grain mustard, coffee creamer, cloth napkins, melamine sponges
Chromecast

Page 7
Reusable bamboo towels - amazon - ?
Clax foldable shopping trolley - amazon - $279 (o_o)
Whirely popper - amazon - $44
Salbree popcorn popper - amazon - $16
Zojirushi Electric Skillet - amazon - $135

Page 8
Controller/headphone stands - amazon - $16
Automatic soap dispenser - amazon - $27
Breville sandwich toaster (panini grill?) - amazon - $170

Page 9
Dip Station - amazon - $85
Swiss+tech utili-key multitool without knives/scary stuff - amazon - $7
Clean/dirty dishwasher magnet - amazon - $7
Skin moisturizer Cetaphil + Elta MD facial sunscreen -
Panasonic eneloop charger - amazon - $18
Mother fuckin' salt box!!! (if you're a cook?) - amazon - $39 (what)

Page 10
The ringer - cast iron cleaner - amazon - $22
Suggestions by mhayes86: Deer spray, Furniture sliders, dash cam
Secred wallet - amazon - price varies, seems to start from $50-60+
Thermopop to check meat temps - amazon - $20
Anyknife kife sharpener - amazon - $15
Coffee/tea mug warmer - couldn't find the specific one shown in the post but lots of options can be found on amazon
Indoor electric grill - amazon - $47
Zojirushi travel mug - amazon - $22.66
Mayer's steamer for clothes - amazon canada - ?
alternative steamer - amazon uk - £27.78

Page 11
Nutribullet - amazon - $50
Floor lamp - amazon - $60
rest of the page is mostly discussion about previously mentioned stuff

Page 12
Garlic peeler (or just use a knife) - amazon - $7
Liquid push down pump dispenser - amazon - $7
Cable management box - amazon - $24
Travel bidet - amazon - $10
Microwave rice cooker - amazon - $16
Cable raceway kit - amazon - ?
Foldable shopping cart - amazon - $80 (why are these so expensive)

Page 13
Wemo light switches - amazon - $30
Border mandoline - 7 piece set on amazon - $45
Kitchen towels - amazon - $20
Single cable management clips - amazon - $15

Page 14
Insulated vacuum sealed mugs - amazon - $36
Handfree smartphone holder - amazon - $15
Velcro zip-ties - amazon - $12.5
Bluetooth aux adapter/audio receiver - amazon - $14

Page 15
Popcorn flavors and stuff, more below it
Shepherd's Hook Massage Tool - ~$20

Other items suggested in the thread that you can commonly find or ones where no specific model was specified.
  • Bidet (10000x yes)
  • Contoured memory foam pillow
  • Electric Toothbrush
  • Hair scalp massager shampoo brush
  • Instant read thermometer for cooking
  • Tofu press
  • Airfryer
  • White noise machine
  • Instant Pot
  • Humidifier
  • Dumbbells
  • Coffee grinder
  • Vertical mouse/Trackball (helped me personally, even a cheap one from Anker)
  • Portable induction burner which doesn't radiate heat
  • Waterpik water flosser (more infro from ultra7k, amazon)
  • Hotdog Spiralizer
  • Heated toilet seat
  • Chromecast or a similar device
  • Food scale
  • Tea Infuser
  • Portable car jump starters
  • Egg piercer
  • French press for tea
  • Essential oil diffuser (post)
  • Cast iron pan
  • Bagel guillotine (Bagel killer?)
  • Packable down jacket
  • A password manager like last pass

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a not-comprehensive-but-close-enough list of all the recommendations made in this thread, or at least the ones I didn't miss. If anyone knows how to format it better, let me know. I tried to find the item on amazon if the user didn't link to it.

Format:
Link to post - amazon or website link - price

Page 1
Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Towel - amazon - $14
wubbanub pacifier - amazon - $14
White Noise Machine - amazon - $15
Kizik Shoes - website
Box Cutter 'Slice' - amazon - ~$10
Aeropress - amazon - $30
O'Keeffe's Working Hands Cream - amazon - $8

Page 2
Several items in one post with amazon links: Bidet(yes!), Airfryer, Light Alarm Clock, Exfoliating Back Scrubber, SmartPlugs connected to Alexa
Echo Alarm Clock - amazon - $30
Yeti water bottle - lots of models on amazon
Cast iron bacon press - amazon - $18
Gerber shard multitool - amazon - $8
Keyport key holder - website
ScoopFree automatic litter box for cats - amazon - $170 but there's a cheaper model

Page 3
Several recommendations by reKon:
Gerber EAB Pocket Knife - $16
Oral-B Pro 1000 Electric tooth brush - $40
RAVPower 61W PD Charger (with GAN tech) - $29
KASA Smart Plugs - ?
FIDELO Minimalist Wallet - $37

Garage door monitor (doesn't control the garage door) - amazon - $35
Some drain cleaner thing I dunno - amazon - $70.57
Steam mop - amazon, there's several models, I chose the cheapest one I found - $61
Microwave pasta cooker - amazon - $17
Squatty Potty - amazon - $25

Page 4
Chefman 6.3 Air Fryer - amazon - $117
No-touch door opener plus other stuff - amazon - $5
Compression Boxer-Briefs w/ cell phone pocket - amazon - $26
SoyaJoy Soy milk maker thing- amazon - ?

Page 5
Koss porta pro black headphones - amazon - $35.41 (interesting, might get one)
Manker MC13 light (some crazy flashlight) - amazon - ? (Lots of additional info came later for these)
Several recommendations by cheebdragonite: Tubshroom - Tongue scrapper - Desk heater

Page 6
Avocado Slicer - amazon - $10
Grease splatter screen - amazon - $18
Suggestions for food and cleaning by ProfessionalBastart: whole grain mustard, coffee creamer, cloth napkins, melamine sponges
Chromecast

Page 7
Reusable bamboo towels - amazon - ?
Clax foldable shopping trolley - amazon - $279 (o_o)
Whirely popper - amazon - $44
Salbree popcorn popper - amazon - $16
Zojirushi Electric Skillet - amazon - $135

Page 8
Controller/headphone stands - amazon - $16
Automatic soap dispenser - amazon - $27
Breville sandwich toaster (panini grill?) - amazon - $170

Page 9
Dip Station - amazon - $85
Swiss+tech utili-key multitool without knives/scary stuff - amazon - $7
Clean/dirty dishwasher magnet - amazon - $7
Skin moisturizer Cetaphil + Elta MD facial sunscreen -
Panasonic eneloop charger - amazon - $18
Mother fuckin' salt box!!! (if you're a cook?) - amazon - $39 (what)

Page 10
The ringer - cast iron cleaner - amazon - $22
Suggestions by mhayes86: Deer spray, Furniture sliders, dash cam
Secred wallet - amazon - price varies, seems to start from $50-60+
Thermopop to check meat temps - amazon - $20
Anyknife kife sharpener - amazon - $15
Coffee/tea mug warmer - couldn't find the specific one shown in the post but lots of options can be found on amazon
Indoor electric grill - amazon - $47
Zojirushi travel mug - amazon - $22.66
Mayer's steamer for clothes - amazon canada - ?
alternative steamer - amazon uk - £27.78

Page 11
Nutribullet - amazon - $50
Floor lamp - amazon - $60
rest of the page is mostly discussion about previously mentioned stuff

Page 12
Garlic peeler (or just use a knife) - amazon - $7
Liquid push down pump dispenser - amazon - $7
Cable management box - amazon - $24
Travel bidet - amazon - $10
Microwave rice cooker - amazon - $16
Cable raceway kit - amazon - ?
Foldable shopping cart - amazon - $80 (why are these so expensive)

Page 13
Wemo light switches - amazon - $30
Border mandoline - 7 piece set on amazon - $45
Kitchen towels - amazon - $20
Single cable management clips - amazon - $15

Page 14
Insulated vacuum sealed mugs - amazon - $36
Handfree smartphone holder - amazon - $15
Velcro zip-ties - amazon - $12.5
Bluetooth aux adapter/audio receiver - amazon - $14

Page 15
Popcorn flavors and stuff, more below it
Shepherd's Hook Massage Tool - ~$20

Other items suggested in the thread that you can commonly find or ones where no specific model was specified.
  • Bidet (10000x yes)
  • Contoured memory foam pillow
  • Electric Toothbrush
  • Hair scalp massager shampoo brush
  • Instant read thermometer for cooking
  • Tofu press
  • Airfryer
  • White noise machine
  • Instant Pot
  • Humidifier
  • Dumbbells
  • Coffee grinder
  • Vertical mouse/Trackball (helped me personally, even a cheap one from Anker)
  • Portable induction burner which doesn't radiate heat
  • Waterpik water flosser (more infro from ultra7k, amazon)
  • Hotdog Spiralizer
  • Heated toilet seat
  • Chromecast or a similar device
  • Food scale
  • Tea Infuser
  • Portable car jump starters
  • Egg piercer
  • French press for tea
  • Essential oil diffuser (post)
  • Cast iron pan
  • Bagel guillotine (Bagel killer?)
  • Packable down jacket
  • A password manager like last pass

Hell yeah you did that. Good stuffs. Thanks a bunch!

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
Regarding the two garlic peelers for 7 bucks, might as well just get a garlic press for a few more bucks, and it comes with a peeler.

That way you get a peeler, and a tool whose function can't be replaced by just squishing it with your knife.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
One of the things that better fits the spirit of this thread are these socks organizers I purchased on AliExpress (didn't find then in Amazon):

He63d5f1d61354d32b5161638e0c2f5b4z.jpg

I have a couple of these and every time I have a new dirty pair, I put it in the "open" string in the laundry room. Then, when it's full, I put the whole pack in the washing machine, then the whole pack in the dryer (or hanging in open air), and then I store the whole pack in the cupboard, from where I get a new pair every day.

Thus, no more sock pairing, or missing ones, or mismatchings. And a lot of time saved in hanging and managing.