• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wemo light switches. I liked the plug we got so much for using Google to turn the Christmas lights off one time that went looking into light switches and now have 4 light switches replaced because of 1) convenience and 2) laziness. the convenience ones were because our living room fan and light switches are by the back door only (on an open floor plan!) and sometimes difficult to get to for reasons. The set for the light and fan in the master bedroom were for laziness but also the idea that we can settle into bed with the light and fan on and not have to get up to turn either of them off or on in the middle of the night.

These are just small convection ovens. If you've got a convection oven, you don't need an air fryer.
Yes, most people have convection ovens and don't even realize it, because they're not advertised as such. It's usually just a setting you turn on, too.
Good quality kitchen tools.

Stuff like sensibly designed spatulas, cups, bowls, tongs etc.

Don't necessarily need to spend an arm and a leg, but well designed kitchen tools are a godsend.

Also banish unitaskers to the bin
I'm not quite as hard on unitaskers as Alton Brown because there are some things that a unitasker is absolutely great for that even the closest "good enough" really isn't as good for by any margin, but getting good kitchen utensils and paying more for a good one that lasts also tends to cover you for them doing the job better, too. I got a set of stainless steel, single piece per cup measuring cups from Sur La Table that are amazing.

Xkcd is free and changed my life forever :)
LOL, I wasn't going to link to XKCD but I was going to post a stuffy correction about it being centrifugal because it's one of those things that irrationally triggers me, like watching someone driving with a truck bed down.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
A Gerber shard is a handy keychain tool.
71ItfVfIO%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

blog-gerber-shard-review-new.jpg
I bought won thanks! Also this thread is godlike! I'll post this flashlight I bought later

Here you go. I recently got a portable air duster. Rechargeable!

Last edited:

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Just got myself a knockoff squatty potty thanks to this thread, how far in front of me/the bowl should I put it?

HADDAWAY2000

Oct 29, 2017
20428.jpg

Border mandoline -
I have terrible knife skills and this mandoline has saved hours of my life prepping vegetables. Its a beast, cuts perfect fries to boot.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I want one, but my wife isn't convinced. And the good ones are so expensive, she's dead set against it. I had her convinced about a year ago, after some co-workers talked them up, but when she saw the price tag, she changed her mind at light speed. She wants the $900 model but thinks <$300 is the right price. Maybe someday...

Look up a brand called Roborock (which is really just Xiaomi), they are way cheaper than the comparable robot vacuums and really really good

We got one in the uk for about £300, when other ones with equivalent features were going for like £800+.

We have had one for a couple of years now and it has been great, automatically vacuums our apartment every day and it's been significantly cleaner than before when we had to remember to do it.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As a person with back trouble Kizik shoes.... you just step into them and they hug your foot...

They don't cost any more than other shoes, cheaper than a lot of brands...

I no longer dread leaving the house because putting on shoes is so painful.

kizik.com

Kizik: The World's Best Hands-Free, Slip On Shoes

Kizik: The easiest shoe you'll ever put on. No tying, no pulling, no heel crushing, no hands. Never bend down to put on shoes again. Free shipping and returns!
im very intrigued. i used to just jam my feet into shoes and actually got nerve pain on the top of my foot from doing it (very dumb and very painful) im curious if thats a consideration for these?

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Speaking of mops, a disc mop is pretty useful. Instead of wringing it out by force you just place the head in the "salad spinner" looking part of the bucket, unlock the telescoping mechanism and pump it up and down a few times. When the telescope retracts it spins the head so fast that the water is forced out of it by centripetal force.

61Mpi3olT7L._AC_SX450_.jpg
this this this

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Ikea Eneby 8 and 12 bluetooth speakers. I'm a low volume listener and this has the perfect sound signature for that. Much better than more expensive speakers I've heard. The mids are recessed at medium and high volumes but that's what makes it sound so great at lower volumes.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Already made 2 purchases of things recommended in this thread, the wrist rest and the ergonomic pillow. I'll see how life changing they are once they arrive in about a week.

Oct 28, 2017
Learning how to whistle loud has been of of the most useful things in my adult life and it cost me like a stick of gum to have Floyd teach me.

Oct 28, 2017

Floyd showed me how to whistle and I gave him gum.

Edit: maybe you mean how I use it? You can hear my whistle from a city block away do when I need my kids attention, they know the "daddy whistle". Getting the attention of a cab or even an uber that pulled up in front of the wrong house. You know how on cartoon when people are arguing and some ones whistles and everyone gets quiet, that shit works in real life more often than not.

Last edited:

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Floyd showed me how to whistle and I gave him gum.

Edit: maybe you mean how I use it? You can hear my whistle from a city block away do when I need my kids attention, they know the "daddy whistle". Getting the attention of a cab or even an uber that pulled up in front of the wrong house. You know how on cartoon when people are arguing and some ones whistles and everyone gets quiet, that shit works in real life more often than not.
What does this mean?

I'd like to learn how to whistle too lol, something I never learned

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds great, specially the quieting method lol.. where can we find Floyd too 🥴

Holy Shit that is funny! I didn't even peep how it sounded when I typed it out.

What does this mean?

I'd like to learn how to whistle too lol, something I never learned

Well you know how Phil Jackson would whistle when calling in a play?

If yes, like that.

Of no follow this link and return to this thread to report.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Are you kidding me?Something line this is way safer and more convenient.
Consider your life changed, thank me later!
Nasenhaarschneider-Nasenhaare-entfernen.jpg

Can you even properly clean this? Seems unsanitary to me.

Some pans have a pretty rough base surface. I find those really hard to get right. Mine was like that so I bought some sandpaper and went to work. Was some preseasoning etc on it as well, so it changed color to pretty shiny and smooth bare metal. But then, I seasoned it. 3 times, properly. And I just felt that that time, it worked. Now, I never wash it with anything but water and I never let it sit for long with acidic foods such as tomato sauce in it.
A good way to clean it is to put some water in it then put it on the stove. When the water starts boiling use a heavy wooden utensil and scrub hard. Then rinse and wash with a brush. Works well
I made it smoother with light sandpaper and then used this method of seasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG2LjF3oURg
Worked pretty well. Gracias.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The electric ones are waterproof and you can remove the head to clean inside. I'd assume a mechanical one can be dismantled too.

This is the one I have, it's fab.

Panasonic ER-GN30 Wet and Dry Electric Nose, Ear and Facial Hair Trimmer for Men : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders of £20 or more. Buy Panasonic ER-GN30 Wet and Dry Electric Nose, Ear and Facial Hair Trimmer for Men at Amazon UK.

I've also used this one which doesn't work quite as well, but can double as an eyebrow trimmer.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I made it smoother with light sandpaper and then used this method of seasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG2LjF3oURg
Worked pretty well. Gracias.

The one I bought which is similar can be taken apart for cleaning purposes (the inner from the outer circle). It also came with a little brush which I don't use though, I just hold it under running water.

I have no complaints and it does the job quite well. Though I would guess that I don't have that much nose hair compared to some others.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Are these supposed to be used daily or would that be too harsh on the skin?
Depends on your skin type, I would imagine. You don't have to go super hard or anything. Whatever you're comfortable with. It's just like a slightly-more-abrasive rag. I have some knocking around here that I bought from a thread like this years ago. I should really start actually using them. Hard to break away from the "get suds from the bar soap on your hand and just wipe it on the dirty parts" routine.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
how do you even injure yourself with an immersion blender
People forget it's plugged in and try to clean it while their fingers are in it, supposedly.

Finger injuries from handy immersion blenders are on the rise

The growing popularity of cooking blogs and shows has had an unintended consequence—more kitchen casualties. Knives, food processors and mandolines are common offenders but an immersion blender can deliver the unkindest cut of all, according to The New York Times....

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
By trying to fuck it.

:(

People forget it's plugged in and try to clean it while their fingers are in it, supposedly.

Finger injuries from handy immersion blenders are on the rise

The growing popularity of cooking blogs and shows has had an unintended consequence—more kitchen casualties. Knives, food processors and mandolines are common offenders but an immersion blender can deliver the unkindest cut of all, according to The New York Times....

oh shit

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at that Deluxe Bidet! Remote Control! LED Lighting! That thing has more add ons than my car!
The only feature that I really want that is not possible in a $30 bidet is a tankless water-heater. The water here gets damn cold in winter, and I don't want to squirt ice cold water onto my sensitive nethers. The seat warmer, light-sensing night light, remote control, etc. are just added fluff.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
A good utility knife is really useful. Bought a Milwaukee one a few years back, just like one of those basic utility knives for hardware stuff. It didn't change my life but I must use it several times a week and I think "damn I'm happy I bought this"

Mine is very close to this one

www.homedepot.com

Milwaukee FASTBACK Folding Utility Knife with General Purpose Blade 48-22-1501 - The Home Depot

The Milwaukee FASTBACK Folding Utility Knife features a press and flip mechanism for easy, 1-handed opening. The Milwaukee FASTBACK Folding Utility Knife allows users to make quick, tool-free blade changes

Since Christmas I must have broken down like 100 boxes for recycling and this knife slices through it like butter.

Nov 12, 2017
An echo dot + an amazon smart plug. Have the smart plug attached to the fan I run in my bedroom. Turn it on and off with voice at least 3 or 4 times a day. Use my echo dot as an alarm clock too.