• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I am convinced. Just bought one.

I swore I wouldn't buy anything from this thread unless it was on sale, but here I am...an electric air duster, a Gerber keychain, and a clothes steamer later :-p

My contribution:

Essential oil diffuser

essentialoildiffusers-2x1-9275.jpg
You can buy whatever oils you want, they're easy to clean, and they're so much cheaper than the Glade or AirWick ones despite being much more versatile and longer-lasting

I have one in almost every room. My bedroom smells like the beach, the living room smells like Christmas, and the bathroom smells less like shit.

huh. I think I just may be interested in this. Thanks! Can you recommend some oils on the light and pleasant side and not a sensory assault? heh
lol@ the bathroom scent!

I thought these didn't really work? How good a job does it do for tougher wrinkles? Can it only handle easy ones?

YES! It can handle harder wrinkles very well! I use it on thick pants and everything. For the harder stuff I just hold the steamer very close or literally on the fabric.

Last edited:

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
So I made the mistake of buying a full sized steamer which I never use. I think that basically a bunch of calcium built in and kind of made it stop working properly. There's a way to clean it get it working properly again, but just decided never do that, lol.

I do have an iron that I use more, but this looks even better and more convenient. I literally use my iron for just steaming purposes haha

yeah the travel ones work great. No need for a full sized one honestly. It's just more of a hassle.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
huh. I think I just may be interested in this. Thanks! Can you recommend some oils on the light and pleasant side and not a sensory assault?
You can never go wrong with cedarwood, peppermint, orange, and cinnamon bark/leaf. Maybe buy a diffuser that comes with some oils and see what you like.

The best part is you can use whatever you like. I wasted so much money on those proprietary ones from Glade and the like -_-

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: And bidet people, why not just wet a few pieces of toilet paper when wiping? Most bathrooms have a sink within reaching distance and it seems easy, simpler, cheaper, and less wasteful than using these bidet attachments.

sorry explain how this is simpler, cheaper or less wasteful?

also wetting TP is awful, like it doesn't work well at all. You're definitely still using more resources still even in that case.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
So I made the mistake of buying a full sized steamer which I never use. I think that basically a bunch of calcium built in and kind of made it stop working properly. There's a way to clean it get it working properly again, but just decided never do that, lol.

I do have an iron that I use more, but this looks even better and more convenient. I literally use my iron for just steaming purposes haha
Same, my wife worked for a clothing retailer and she loved the idea of having a full sized one, but this is more practical

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Be extremely careful with Essential Oil Diffusers if you have pets. https://www.abc15.com/news/national...might-be-toxic-to-your-pet-veterinarian-warns

Keep an eye out, as some Eneloops within the same type (not including Pro obviously) have lower capacities than others. Glancing at Amazon it looks like it's mostly evened out (2000-2100 mAh), but I bought a multpack carrying case with the adapters only to later realize the batteries held less charge than the ones from individual packs.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a pet owner whose cat likes to puke every now and again, I read a story of how a Roomba's owner's dog shat on the carpet and the thing spread it everywhere, and I won't ever get a robot vacuum.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
An Instant Pot. Dramatically increased the type of meals I can cook quickly for a family of four. One of the best things I've ever bought and only cost like $60.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You're supposed to use distilled water for it.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Floor cleaning mops from Daiso (using dry disposable sheets) fast way to remove hair and fine dust in my apartment.
kQgzKnq.jpg

vacuum cleaner is too noise for such small job.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
$30 or less wireless earbuds to wear while doing tedious jobs around the house, or during non business hours at work. Washing dishes, mowing the grass, overnight inventory shifts. So forth. It's really great having something interesting to listen to while doing less enjoyable work.

soup

Sep 2, 2020
If you got dry hands like I do, check out O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream. It cost a couple bucks and has softened my dry cracked hands and even cleared up some eczema on my hands.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ok here's my contribution to the thread - Nutribullet:

71D3Qd2CGbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I love smoothies, and we use this to make all sorts of baby food.

Normal blenders are a pain! So difficult to wash, the main unit is so big it barely fits in the dishwasher, just a huge ordeal every time I want to use it. The Nutribullet is super compact, incredibly easy to wash, and works really well.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Isn't that basically a cheap(er) swiffer mop?
Speaking of mops, a disc mop is pretty useful. Instead of wringing it out by force you just place the head in the "salad spinner" looking part of the bucket, unlock the telescoping mechanism and pump it up and down a few times. When the telescope retracts it spins the head so fast that the water is forced out of it by centripetal force.

61Mpi3olT7L._AC_SX450_.jpg

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mops, a disc mop is pretty useful. Instead of wringing it out by force you just place the head in the "salad spinner" looking part of the bucket, unlock the telescoping mechanism and pump it up and down a few times. When the telescope retracts it spins the head so fast that the water is forced out of it by centripetal force.

This thing is honestly a game changer for mopping and makes the entire endeavor a breeze.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017

Is there a brand you recommend? I almost bought one once but couldn't decide.

Oct 25, 2017
This lamp or a lamp like it.

I work from home and my home office is in my large master bedroom so having a way to separate work hours (with ceiling lights) from off hours (floor lamp) is huge. I can't overstate how different the mood is with a floor lamp, and how much it relaxes me.

I like this lamp in particular because it has a built-in dimmer and a few temperature settings, so you can get pure white or the yellowish light. It also has a bluetooth remote control that works really well and doesn't need line of sight to function like an IR remote. It's nice to be able to turn it off from bed.

One of the best work-from-home purchases I have made.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Xkcd is free and changed my life forever :)

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's a bit out of the inexpensive category, but depending upon deals... it might work out. Roomba, or any robot vacuum. It has saved me so much time in vacuuming and it's kept the dust at bay and made my allergies much better.

You still need to do light cleaning, and I have a hand vac I use about once a day... but it's been unbelievable how much cleaner our place has been.

Just set it when we go out for a walk... done when we get back.

You have a Roomba and you still vacuum once a day? How often were you vacuuming before?

I vacuum maybe once a week, at most, and my place is nice and clean. And that's just the one heavy traffic area. If I had a robot, I'd want my vacuuming to drop to pretty much zero. Otherwise, there's no point. Especially not for like $900.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
You have a Roomba and you still vacuum once a day? How often were you vacuuming before?

I vacuum maybe once a week, at most, and my place is nice and clean. And that's just the one heavy traffic area. If I had a robot, I'd want my vacuuming to drop to pretty much zero. Otherwise, there's no point. Especially not for like $900.

I use a hand vac (like a souped up dust buster) for maybe less than 2 min a day... to get corners and areas that Roomba can't reach. So it's not like a crazy amount.

I don't even own a regular vacuum, because there's no need with Roomba.

it's legit the best thing I have ever done in terms of tech and house.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I use a hand vac (like a souped up dust buster) for maybe less than 2 min a day... to get corners and areas that Roomba can't reach. So it's not like a crazy amount.

I don't even own a regular vacuum, because there's no need with Roomba.

it's legit the best thing I have ever done in terms of tech and house.

I want one, but my wife isn't convinced. And the good ones are so expensive, she's dead set against it. I had her convinced about a year ago, after some co-workers talked them up, but when she saw the price tag, she changed her mind at light speed. She wants the $900 model but thinks <$300 is the right price. Maybe someday...

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I want one, but my wife isn't convinced. And the good ones are so expensive, she's dead set against it. I had her convinced about a year ago, after some co-workers talked them up, but when she saw the price tag, she changed her mind at light speed. She wants the $900 model but thinks <$300 is the right price. Maybe someday...
I think you can find a deal here and there throughout the year - they definitely go on sale. Not going to be cheap, but you'll still see $100-$200 knocked off here and there. I eventually made the gap, using credit card rewards... but I hear you... it's hard to justify it. It will get cheaper and better over time.

I saw one at a friend's house, and asked them a bunch of questions, and when I could finally see it - I saw the real value of it. Leaving the house and having that shit run while you're out is like magic.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Where can I purchase the skillset though?
So I actually went to get a haircut and asked a ton of questions. Almost like a mini lesson, I was upfront with the stylist and tipped her really well.

That was probably 15 years ago, I've been doing it myself (wife helps sometimes) since.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
This is great, thanks for suggesting this. Ordered a pair for my dad for Christmas (and one for myself as well).
I have destroyed so many shoes by doing exactly what these shoes are designed for...
Have they arrived yet? I just ordered another pair, the New Yorks in Coffee color with gum bottoms. Wondering what the shipping is like right now. They are on sale for $59.

New-York_Coffee_Gum_Bottom_3QTR.jpg

I wanted a pair of the Kingstons, but the heeled shoes aren't available in wide sizes.

Kingston-Tan_3QTR.jpg

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
If you got dry hands like I do, check out O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream. It cost a couple bucks and has softened my dry cracked hands and even cleared up some eczema on my hands.

I get dry hands in the winter but what I use is a product called bag balm. I never heard of it until my mom got it for me. Originally the product was used for cow udders which is where the name comes from. It has a weird smell and feels like Vaseline but put it on at night and it does wonders. Don't know what it costs but I can't imagine it's too expensive. I've been using the same tin for almost 3 years.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Be extremely careful with Essential Oil Diffusers if you have pets. https://www.abc15.com/news/national...might-be-toxic-to-your-pet-veterinarian-warns

Keep an eye out, as some Eneloops within the same type (not including Pro obviously) have lower capacities than others. Glancing at Amazon it looks like it's mostly evened out (2000-2100 mAh), but I bought a multpack carrying case with the adapters only to later realize the batteries held less charge than the ones from individual packs.
This explains why i have had to change the batteries in my xbox controller like 4 fucking times in 3 days where as the batteries that came with the series x controller lasted me like 2 weeks. Do you have a link to a pack i can buy? I already have the same charger posted above.