• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone with a cast iron skillet, these things make cleanup a breeze:

41Iu8601BnL._AC_SY400_.jpg

It's just a bunch of interlinked chains, like a small piece of very fine chain mail, and it really gets even the most baked on food right off. Works especially well when the pan is still warm but worst case like with old cold stuck on food, you just get it a little wet and heat it up and start scrubbing.

Here it is on Amazon

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing so many recommendations for RoboVacs has me considering one again.

I've always avoided them due to the cost and it obviously not being able to clean some areas of the house like stairs. But I guess even with still needing to vacuum stairs manually, it'll still save a lot of time overall.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Seeing so many recommendations for RoboVacs has me considering one again.

I've always avoided them due to the cost and it obviously not being able to clean some areas of the house like stairs. But I guess even with still needing to vacuum stairs manually, it'll still save a lot of time overall.
You can use a hand vac to do the stairs. I bought a $200 Roomba at Costco and it does a great job with my carpeted apartment.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

It's just a bunch of interlinked chains, like a small piece of very fine chain mail, and it really gets even the most baked on food right off. Works especially well when the pan is still warm but worst case like with old cold stuck on food, you just get it a little wet and heat it up and start scrubbing.

Here it is on Amazon

Can confirm. We have a cast iron pan and skillet. This thing works like a charm.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you have multiple people living in your home, you might benefit from a dishwasher magnet:

51as-R6uf-D2-L-AC-SX679.jpg

Surprisingly great system lol
We had these at work.
31wfPf83B1L._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Innovera-Softskin-Wrist-Black-51452/dp/B0012YS744

Just cheap, every day purchases that changed your life.

Gel wrist rest. $10. Something so simple, saved my hand.

IIRC it's way better to keep your wrist flat and floating than to have it drag around the desk - - It's good to build those wrist muscles and avoid bad hand posture where's it's always slightly tilted upwards.

... That said, if you already have the pain, it definitely helps there. A few days with the gel pad support and the pain should go away.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
EDIT: And bidet people, why not just wet a few pieces of toilet paper when wiping? Most bathrooms have a sink within reaching distance and it seems easy, simpler, cheaper, and less wasteful than using these bidet attachments.
You ever tried this? It is not good. Toilet paper is very flimsy and falls apart when wet (which is a good thing, because it would block the drain otherwise). Scrubbing at your arsehole with a lump of rapidly disintegrating paper dripping with shitty water is not a good experience.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
EDIT: And bidet people, why not just wet a few pieces of toilet paper when wiping? Most bathrooms have a sink within reaching distance and it seems easy, simpler, cheaper, and less wasteful than using these bidet attachments.
I did this before getting a bidet and while it's certainly better than wiping dry, there's still no comparison to a bidet, which blasts you clean in a way no wiping can. Producing paper uses enormous amounts of water, so you waste far less overall with a bidet + one wipe to check/dry off.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
You ever tried this? It is not good. Toilet paper is very flimsy and falls apart when wet (which is a good thing, because it would block the drain otherwise). Scrubbing at your arsehole with a lump of rapidly disintegrating paper dripping with shitty water is not a good experience.
Yeah, it's what I do. I don't have nearly that much trouble. A few squares and just a little water. It lasts long enough.
I did this before getting a bidet and while it's certainly better than wiping dry, there's still no comparison to a bidet, which blasts you clean in a way no wiping can. Producing paper uses enormous amounts of water, so you waste far less overall with a bidet + one wipe to check/dry off.
Yeah, I'm all about reducing paper usage, but I guess I assume more plastic that isn't likely to last forever is worse. But I see your point and perhaps need to try it before judging. Thanks for the answer.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, it's what I do. I don't have nearly that much trouble. A few squares and just a little water. It lasts long enough.

Yeah, I'm all about reducing paper usage, but I guess I assume more plastic that isn't likely to last forever is worse. But I see your point and perhaps need to try it before judging. Thanks for the answer.
Fair enough. I'd also include handheld sprayers in the "bidet" category, which are far less material than the fancy automatic seats. Basically a garden hose nozzle for the bathroom. Those take some practice...

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Amazon Alexa is a big one for me (at least the Dot line which go on sale all of the time for $30 or less, or even the Amazon Music sub exploit where you could get one for $1). Being able to play music anywhere in the house and add things to a shopping list the moment you think about it even if your hands are dirty while in the kitchen. I used one as a makeshift baby monitor while my sister and her kids lived with us temporarily. Add in the integration with smart home gadgetry and it's just been a huge convenience over the years.

Deer Spray - Last year my garden got devoured by deer right after my wife and I put in new flowers. Used this stuff and deer never came close to it this year.

Furniture carpet sliders - My wife and I have a king bed that is heavy as hell. These make moving it a breeze on the carpet, especially over the summer when we were painting the room and had to move it around a lot.

Dash cam - They come in various price ranges, but my wife and I got two for around $40 each. Considering I nearly got ran off the road by a school bus, rear ended while stopped at a red light, and t-boned from someone running a red light all this year (my car is an accident magnet as I have never had this many close calls in my life), a dash cam has been invaluable with dealing with the police and insurance companies.

Bidet, especially after the TP shortage at the beginning of the year. Really needs to become a normal household item in the US.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
To all tea people in this thread. I'm sure you already know, but for the ones who don't. Use a french press!

Last edited:

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
Got an indoor grill from Amazon for like $30.
You can buy marinated bulgolgi at a Korean mart for around $10.
Ideal for cold winter nights when you're itching for bbq.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switched to a Secred wallet, but anything similar will do.

Going from a big fat wallet to a slim wallet was a game changer, and I couldn't imagine going back.

Also I have a Thermopop which is the cheaper model thermometer to check meat temps. It makes grilling so much easier. No more guessing since everyone's grill and oven is different.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
For anyone with a selection of knives even a cheap sharpener is something you should pick up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-K...eywords=knife+sharpener&qid=1607959985&sr=8-5

It's crazy how quickly a knife can lose it's full sharpness. If I use mine to start chopping something and then give it a few strokes through a sharpener the difference is night and day, to the point where I've cut myself so many times from simply tapping the blade by mistake that it's laughable.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Here it is on Amazon

I'd fear for my seasoning using one of these, but maybe it's ok. I've always been fine rubbing what i can off with my fingers under warm running water (pan has to cool a bit obviously), and then anything else I can feel on the pan but can't get off with my fingers, using a plastic scraper like this:

iqBplWdm.jpg

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
User banned (permanent): making a modwhining thread to instigate forum drama, then derailing and hijacking multiple threads for the same reason
Here's an inexpensive life changing purchase: a donation to The Trevor Project

e546tuyhe5r6tyhu.png

Here's how staff think it's appropriate to handle the concerns of trans members apparently.

Should be noted that using the phrase "pound sand" to another user has resulted in bans before
Would be weird if was considering Poodlestrike went back and edited the DM to remove the phrase "pound sand" to cover their ass and none of their other DMs to A.By had their name as a signature or anything.

So no I don't think that's what happened.
e56yutej5tr6yjhu.png
Reminder that an admin is trying to cover up having told a trans user to "pound sand" in response to moderation concerns.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Water closets don't have sinks.

You can get the attachment for as little as $30, and it's only wasteful if you're blasting it longer than you need to.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Going to dentist after years of being afraid thinking teeths are fucked up. Ended up that teeths was good and fear is gone and the pure joy of being able to not worry about smiling is one helluva thing you can't put a price on. Since I did not have any holes or anything, $100 is a pretty good/inexpensive price to pay for something life changing

Oct 25, 2017
Any particular recommendations? And does it still make the whole house smell like kbbq?
If you want to actually eat like a Korean, get a butane camping stove like this

A ton of smaller restaurants use something almost exactly like that at the tables in Korea. You'll need a pan to go over it like this

Since it's butane, you can cook outside if you don't like the smell.

You can probably buy both at a local Korean mart, to be honest.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Going to dentist after years of being afraid thinking teeths are fucked up. Ended up that teeths was good and fear is gone and the pure joy of being able to not worry about smiling is one helluva thing you can't put a price on. Since I did not have any holes or anything, $100 is a pretty good/inexpensive price to pay for something life changing

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it doesn't seem like you had dental work done, so why pre-dentist were you worried about smiling?

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it doesn't seem like you had dental work done, so why pre-dentist were you worried about smiling?

You're correct, no dental-work. It was my first checkup for over 15 years, I thought my teeth were in bad shape. Turned out it was all just in my head thankfully, and smiling when you think your teeth looks like shit was a no no.

Except from tartar, the teeth were/are in great shape. Probably thanks to avoiding soda and candy during all these years.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
You could buy a travel mug that will keep warm.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHOUI86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_yT81FbCRWKM22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Keeps hot all day. Will even keep ice for over 24 hours. It's amazing.
Funny enough, I actually have this exact one! My biggest issue with it is it stays TOO hot, and the metal slightly affects the tase of my coffee. I bought a ceramic lined one from Stanley that tastes better, but doesn't stay warm for as long.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to actually eat like a Korean, get a butane camping stove like this

A ton of smaller restaurants use something almost exactly like that at the tables in Korea. You'll need a pan to go over it like this

Since it's butane, you can cook outside if you don't like the smell.

You can probably buy both at a local Korean mart, to be honest.
My family also has those to Chinese hot pot.

I really want something like the ember mug but cheap.
If you read the product specs, the newest Ember says it will keep your drink hot for up to 3 hours.

A regular, cheap thermos will do 6 hours at a fraction of the price.

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
Funny enough, I actually have this exact one! My biggest issue with it is it stays TOO hot, and the metal slightly affects the tase of my coffee. I bought a ceramic lined one from Stanley that tastes better, but doesn't stay warm for as long.

For real, it works too well with hot liquids!
Before I got that warmer I'd just keep that travel mug close by to refill as needed.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018

This is how I convinced my wife when I wanted to buy a bidet

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You're correct, no dental-work. It was my first checkup for over 15 years, I thought my teeth were in bad shape. Turned out it was all just in my head thankfully, and smiling when you think your teeth looks like shit was a no no.

Except from tartar, the teeth were/are in great shape. Probably thanks to avoiding soda and candy during all these years.

Cool, so it was mainly a self confidence thing. I'm glad it worked out. Even if you do have cavities, so much better to get a checkup (if you have insurance or some affordable way to go) rather than waiting until the pain is just too much.

I'd say similar things for doctor's check ups and a yearly vision exam. I know people who hadn't gone to a vision exam in a long time and didn't even realize they needed glasses. I'm not sure what good investing in a TV and video game system in 4k is if your vision is blurry...

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Any particular recommendations? And does it still make the whole house smell like kbbq?

Butane stove + pan with drip hole is pretty much all you need and many asian stores carry them. But yeah it will cause some smoke and will make your place smell like kbbq. There are smokeless grills in that you add water, but it doesn't eliminate all the smoke.

A butane stove itself is a convenient item to have. Doesn't use electricity, doesn't take up space like an outdoor grill, and heats up pretty fast. I use it to sear all my meat after a sous vide bath.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
I'd fear for my seasoning using one of these, but maybe it's ok. I've always been fine rubbing what i can off with my fingers under warm running water (pan has to cool a bit obviously), and then anything else I can feel on the pan but can't get off with my fingers, using a plastic scraper like this:

iqBplWdm.jpg

Those type of plastic scrapers are great for cleaning up stuck on messes throughout the kitchen.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
81EAolkD4OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Because ironing work clothes sucks! This thing was less than $20 and is a life saver. It's small, fast and gets rid of wrinkles in pants, shirts, etc. in minutes. It has literally become part of my daily routine. This brand itself isn't important. There are a million different ones around the same price. But do yourself a favor and grab one of these suckers for yourself.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because ironing work clothes sucks! This thing was less than $20 and is a life saver. It's small, fast and gets rid of wrinkles in pants, shirts, etc. in minutes. It has literally become part of my daily routine. This brand itself isn't important. There are a million different ones around the same price. But do yourself a favor and grab one of these suckers for yourself.

Fucking tell me about it! I absolutely HATE ironing so I bought something similar a couple months ago. It is a game changer and you just have to hang clothes on a rail to stream iron them. No fuss or bending over or getting out a ironing board.

Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office & Travel.

Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office & Travel: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office & Travel: Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office &...

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Fucking tell me about it! I absolutely HATE ironing so I bought something similar a couple months ago. It is a game changer and you just have to hang clothes on a rail to stream iron them. No fuss or bending over or getting out a ironing board.

Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office & Travel.

Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office & Travel: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office & Travel: Cadrim Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer 1500W 280ml Travel Steam Vertical Strong Steam Iron Auto Cut-Off Powerful For Home, Office &...

Yup. total game changer in my life for sure.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. total game changer in my life for sure.
I am convinced. Just bought one.

I swore I wouldn't buy anything from this thread unless it was on sale, but here I am...an electric air duster, a Gerber keychain, and a clothes steamer later :-p

My contribution:

Essential oil diffuser

essentialoildiffusers-2x1-9275.jpg

You can buy whatever oils you want, they're easy to clean, and they're so much cheaper than the Glade or AirWick ones despite being much more versatile and longer-lasting

I have one in almost every room. My bedroom smells like the beach, the living room smells like Christmas, and the bathroom smells less like shit.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I thought these didn't really work? How good a job does it do for tougher wrinkles? Can it only handle easy ones?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

So I made the mistake of buying a full sized steamer which I never use. I think that basically a bunch of calcium built in and kind of made it stop working properly. There's a way to clean it get it working properly again, but just decided never do that, lol.

I do have an iron that I use more, but this looks even better and more convenient. I literally use my iron for just steaming purposes haha