• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I got on the bidet train when dumbasses started hoarding toilet paper at the start of the pandemic. Now, I'm never looking back. Guys, my butthole has never been cleaner after dropping a smudge, guys.

But if you're gonna do it and get one of the toilet seats with the bidet built in, don't go cheap (yes I know that goes against the thread topic, but we're talking a clean and dry anus here).

Get something like this:

It plugs into your wall. The seat heats up when you sit on it. It heats your butthole water. It blows warm air at your bootycrack to dry it. It's heavenly.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
_hero_SQ_Instant-Vortex-Plus-Air-Fryer-Oven-1-f2bcf889613b4617aecbd33e46761a0d.jpg

71yHYqqZa0L._AC_SX522_.jpg

This, 100%!

I have a folder filled with both air fryer and instapot recipes.

The Vortex has been a game changer for my wife and I. As has been the instapot.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll see your popcorn popper and raise you...
61Ek0qkhkZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Popping popcorn in a saucepan is easy as hell. The longest part is waiting for the oil to get hot enough, but once it does, the popcorn pops in no time. Bonus points, no need for another untasker hogging up kitchen space.
The microwave container is roughly a bazillion times more convenient though. No waiting at all, no hot pan needing cleaning, no oil/butter.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The most inexpensive thing in my household, that I value very much would be what we call a "Tee Ei" in german. It literally translates to "Tea Egg" and google didn't seem to want me to find a good translation of that item.
It's just a container you put loose tea in.

th

Like this.

I've never liked tea made out of teabags. It's just a stale version of what tea tastes like usually.
The Black Tea I got at even the cheapest Turkish restaurant always smelled and tasted so much better than the dried out leaves I used to put in my cup of hot water.
So I got to buying some actually good tea, and went to drink more tea than coffee at home.

I count that as a win.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
The most inexpensive thing in my household, that I value very much would be what we call a "Tee Ei" in german. It literally translates to "Tea Egg" and google didn't seem to want me to find a good translation of that item.

th

Like this.

I've never liked tea made out of teabags. It's just a stale version of what tea tastes like usually.
The Black Tea I got at even the cheapest Turkish restaurant always smelled and tasted so much better than the dried out leaves I used to put in my cup of hot water.
So I got to buying some actually good tea, and went to drink more tea than coffee at home.

I count that as a win.
Loose leaf tea is the truth.

Oct 31, 2017

th

Like this.

I count that as a win.

Loose leaf tea is always the way to go!

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I'll see your popcorn popper and raise you...
61Ek0qkhkZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Popping popcorn in a saucepan is easy as hell. The longest part is waiting for the oil to get hot enough, but once it does, the popcorn pops in no time. Bonus points, no need for another untasker hogging up kitchen space.

The problem with the sauce pans for popcorn are twofold: the pan is thick, which takes up time and wastes energy, and it isn't properly vented, which alters the mouth feel of the popped corn.

As someone who makes popcorn a couple times a week every week, I swear by the whitley pop. :)

ɣGammaɣ

Oct 26, 2017
the middle of the woods
The problem with the sauce pans for popcorn are twofold: the pan is thick, which takes up time and wastes energy, and it isn't properly vented, which alters the mouth feel of the popped corn.

As someone who makes popcorn a couple times a week every week, I swear by the whitley pop. :)

Funny that popcorn pops up ^_^ just got an electric popcorn maker yesterday. Made it with coconut "oil" and some mini butterfly corn, was really good, still waiting to get flavacol delivered in a few days.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/82505-Electr...+maker&qid=1607611465&sprefix=popcorn+&sr=8-5

Edit: and to contribute something, gifted these a few times, and all have been very happy: to open breakfast eggs without hassle.

Take2 99004/21 Clack Keramik-Ei, Hase: Amazon.de: Küche & Haushalt

Amazon.de: Küchen- und Haushaltsartikel online - Take2 99004/21 Clack Keramik-Ei, Hase. Take2 99004/21 Clack Keramik-Ei, Hase.

Last edited:

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, so, relatively inexpensive these days, I think I paid 100 euro for mine:

hbm-076-27.jpg-1920x10bkaf.jpg

A simple air compressor. The ability to keep my car and motorcycle tires properly pressurized without having to go somewhere is great enough by itself, but it's also really handy for cleaning certain objects, the filter on my vacuum for instance, I just hose it down with high pressure air and it's good as new. I love it and wouldn't want to be without it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
americans stole the bidet word to name something else, typical
their "bidets" are just a water hose to rinse your ass after you're done taking a dump
American bidets either replace the toilet seat or attach underneath the toilet seat. The spray hose type isn't a thing here.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
They are really nice, especially if you subscribe to the "cheese tastes better when there's less of it" philosophy (it does!). Alternate: a santoku also does a good job with this, for folks that may not want a unitasker like that. you8 don't even need a particularly good one.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
An electric blanket (<£60) has vastly improved my sleep during winter.

For years I've been wearing jumpers to bed.

No longer! I am warm now.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
The AeroPress. Makes excellent coffee and there's not much to clean. I use it every day.

+1.

If you like milk drinks, you can get a $5 battery operated milk frother (e.g. from Ikea) that pairs well with the small volume strong coffee you can get from the Aeropress (something like the original recipe and not 'fill the chamber with hot water' recipes).

Hmm. Maybe those aren't just good pans. Or maybe I should try the oil frying method. The way I did it was by backing them for an hour with a thin oil coating. Thought doing it 4 times would be enough.
I have one of these and I have no idea how to use it.

Beloved cast iron pans are very smooth on the cooking surface— they used to be milled smooth after being cast, but many modern cast iron pans skip the milling and so are very rough. I didn't know this and bought some Lodge ones and they did not live up to the hype— I also under the mistaken belief that you couldn't use soap to clean them, so between food sticking during cooking and hard work getting them clean they were very much oversold by people as far as I was concerned.

I eventually saw or read something that lead me to sand them flat (as best as I could) with a small random orbital sander and re-season them. Another cast iron myth is that flaxseed oil is the best seasoning oil, but it doesn't work for a lot of people— it flakes off very easily after a use or two. I have successfully use lard, shortening, and boring old (non-virgin) olive oil.

Knowing now how easy they are to clean with dish soap and how wonderful they are to cook with when smooth am very happy.

Some useful youtube videos if you want to dive down this rabbit hole:
1. Cast Iron Restoration and Cleaning; 2. Cast iron pan care and revival tips

As for actually cooking with them— I mostly wing it, but it's important to preheat them on fairly low heat, as they don't heat particularly evenly. So as the first step of meal prep I put the pans I need on the stove and turn them on the lowest setting. Depending on what I'll do I'll increase the temperature closer to cooking (e.g. to sear a steak).

I never wash it with anything but water and I never let it sit for long with acidic foods such as tomato sauce in it.
A good way to clean it is to put some water in it then put it on the stove. When the water starts boiling use a heavy wooden utensil and scrub hard. Then rinse and wash with a brush. Works well

Soap is fine on cast iron; the myth that you shouldn't is from when soaps were made with lye which is incredibly caustic and will peel the seasoning off. I use hot water or the stove top to warm my dirty pans up, then place them in a sink of warm soapy water, maybe soak a bit, then scrub them easily with a microfibre cloth or rougher scrubbing cloth. I used to use a lot of elbow grease but almost never need to anymore unless I really screw things up.

You don't really want to cook eggs in a cast iron skillet but if so, make sure to have plenty of butter or bacon fat. I have cooked breakfast for 20+ while camping and it worked out just fine.

Eggs cook fine in a smooth, well seasoned pan. Barely need any butter/fat. I make omelettes and scrambled eggs all the time in mine as well as normal fried eggs.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
A Gerber shard is a handy keychain tool.
71ItfVfIO%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

blog-gerber-shard-review-new.jpg
Ordered one of these and it's arriving tomorrow. I'm not sure why I am so excited. Is this what being old feels like? I keep fantasizing about situations where I'm in public and say "I got this" and pull out this magical little multitool and impress everyone.

This will be my next upgrade. I was weary so bought one of the 30 dollar ones on amazon and love it. Will never be without a bidet again and the next one will definitely be a better one.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is moving out of the "inexpensive" range, but you can get cast iron performance with easier maintenance with enameled cast iron. Retains heat like cast iron, no need to season, able to cook acidic food, and you can just wash it in the dishwasher. But yeah, not that cheapest.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Portable car jump starters.

220aa212-a323-475b-bc7e-bd3ead355658_1.f7f8603e5e55d258955378bce69e990f.jpeg

Can be had for less than $60 and I think it should be an essential car accessory in every vehicle. It always starts my car instantly regardless of how long the battery has been dead.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Portable car jump starters.

220aa212-a323-475b-bc7e-bd3ead355658_1.f7f8603e5e55d258955378bce69e990f.jpeg

Can be had for less than $60 and I think it should be an essential car accessory in every vehicle. It always starts my car instantly regardless of how long the battery has been dead.

I have one of these and I find it's a pain to keep charged. Maybe mine is just dying or something.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Buy skincare products, especially a moisturizer. Went so long without doing shit.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I know it's a bit out of the inexpensive category, but depending upon deals... it might work out. Roomba, or any robot vacuum. It has saved me so much time in vacuuming and it's kept the dust at bay and made my allergies much better.

You still need to do light cleaning, and I have a hand vac I use about once a day... but it's been unbelievable how much cleaner our place has been.

Just set it when we go out for a walk... done when we get back.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

th

Like this.

I count that as a win.

Amazon has a lot of these, but all of the reviews say after a few uses something starts melting off of the metal. Supposed to affect the taste and some say you can actually see some greasy residue in the tea. I couldnt find a version without some type of this complaint and settled on a highly ranked Dixie cup looking infuser, just rests in the coffee mug.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
When my daughter was 3 weeks old I bought a travel cot for £30. It had a button that vibrated the mattress which instantly made her sleep for an extra half hour it worked 5 years later on my son too. Best money I ever spent.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Bluetooth earphones for £20 was a revelation. Can fiy walk around the house listening to podcasts whilst not risking dropping my phone everywhere carrying it around or having the cord catch.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017

th

Like this.

I count that as a win.
I got myself one of these:
61DM34p2h6L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Tea Infuser Ball Mesh Strainer Large Capacity for Hanging in Teapots Mugs Cups to Steep Loose Leaf Tea Spice Herbs, Home Restaurant Use - 13cm : Amazon.ca: Home

Tea Infuser Ball Mesh Strainer Large Capacity for Hanging in Teapots Mugs Cups to Steep Loose Leaf Tea Spice Herbs, Home Restaurant Use - 13cm : Amazon.ca: Home

(13 cm spice ball). To make huge amounts of steeped iced teas in 4 liter pitchers.
I suppose it's supposed to be used in stock posts for herbed soups, but it's tea for me!

When I bought it, it was only $8 Canadian on Amazon. I see it's now listed more at $22. Would not buy for $22. lol

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
This is not inexpensive, but something that changed my life for the better: roomba/cleaning robot equivalent.
It's what a washing machine is to clothes, who has time want to handwash their stuff.