• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I'm thinking about converting over to the pine litter, as our cat tracks litter all over the damn place, and it smells to the high heavens. I'm worried about a lidless litterbox though. Also our cat is blind, so she doesn't cover her poop when she goes to the bathroom like most cats tend to, so I'm leaning on the automatic scooper that was posted earlier due to that fact alone. Bathroom management has been the hardest part with my cat, so I'm looking for any alternatives right now honestly.

I saw some covered sifter litter boxes, but they were a lot more expensive. Like around the $70 range. Saw an automatic one also that was around the $150 range as well.

We have two cats ourselves with one that has to stay in our master bedroom/master bathroom as our other cat has grown to be territorial and stopped our other cat from using any our litter boxes so she would just poop/pee in the corner of the stairwell or even next to her food bowl. So now she's safe upstairs while he pretty much gets the rest of the house... that shithead. Lol.

Both cats like to kick litter every which way.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
TubShroom - no more clogged hair in your tub! This one was the most life-changing so far.

tubshroom2._SR300,300_.jpg
This is a good one, dirt cheap and absolutely life changing.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
Avocado Slicer

715X07769NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you eat Avocado's at all. This thing is just incredible in its convenience. Can't cut yourself, blade is the exact length to cut along the pit in the middle, then de-pit, then scoop and slice each half. It's just the best.

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
Heated toilet seat. So nice when the weather is cool.
instant pot is a great tool, you can even sous vide with it.

Statux

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Whats your thing with bidets

Here in Spain we have them everywhere but no one seems to have found an use for them in the last ~50 years

Green

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a crappy bathroom/shower (like me), a curved shower rod does wonders:
moen-2155-showrodcurve-2-sm.jpg

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
I also recommend Hexclad, which is like steel-bonded non-stick. It works surprisingly well and is super easy to maintain. It is not nearly as non-stick as its commercials show, but it is that durable.

Yeah, I'm definitely not here to save you money, cause I like to have stuff like that. I have the Foodi, Foodi Grill, Instant Pot, a Philips air fryer, and a Tiger rice cooker on my counter right now, plus a Zojirushi induction hot pot and more stuff in the cabinets, and I'd recommend them all without hesitation.
I was kind of tempted to post hexclad pans here but I don't think they qualify as "inexpensive," that said they were definitely lifechanging for me. I eat egg whites pretty frequently and with our previous set of pans (Green Pans), the egg whites would frequently stick and just be a general pain in the ass to clean, whereas with the Hexclad they slide right off. Glad I gave into the Instagram ads and tried them out, though I keep fighting off the urge to buy the rest of the set...

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn't call it life-changing, but flashlight technology has improved massively in the past few years. I got a crazy flashlight for my father in law, who was blown away by it. I also got one for my old man for Christmas. The kind I got them (the Thrunite Catapult V6) is sold out on Amazon, but I have one of these (a Manker MC13), and the 800-meter distance might actually not be an exaggeration. It's a spotlight that fits in a pocket, recharges on a standard USB-C, comes with a battery and a cable, for only $50. A really simple gift that's really fun to play with. You can see a demo here:

Can it literally burn a hole in my pocket? Maybe!

Weird, I swapped my Ikea flashlight for an Ansmann M900P, it's rated at something like 700 lumen in regular use (900 in boost but you can barely tell the difference) but only 240 meter range. I guess it's caused by having a wider angle? A super narrow beam seems impractical for actually seeing stuff around you at night. Definitely coming in handy these days tho with it being pitch black outside around 5pm, makes walking in the park even after work still feasible.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about converting over to the pine litter, as our cat tracks litter all over the damn place, and it smells to the high heavens. I'm worried about a lidless litterbox though. Also our cat is blind, so she doesn't cover her poop when she goes to the bathroom like most cats tend to, so I'm leaning on the automatic scooper that was posted earlier due to that fact alone. Bathroom management has been the hardest part with my cat, so I'm looking for any alternatives right now honestly.

Since we've switched over to pine pellets my cat hasn't covered her poop, but we don't smell it. We also put her sifting box inside this covered litter box so she has privacy and we don't have to see her poop till we clean it.

Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RQVGKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_z4.ZFbPMCC5JT?psc=1

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Since we've switched over to pine pellets my cat hasn't covered her poop, but we don't smell it. We also put her sifting box inside this covered litter box so she has privacy and we don't have to see her poop till we clean it.

Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RQVGKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_z4.ZFbPMCC5JT?psc=1
Just so happens the one you linked is the one we have now. So I'll do exactly that and see how it turns out, thanks!

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a knock off squatty potty.

As someone with prepH wipes and creams on standby at all times, anything to streamline the process helps.

Heh, I have one of those from way back when. You certainly end up taking massive shits with one of them. Pretty funny.

But if you're like me and have a bit of a digestive issue that ends up causing some "difficulties" when going -- by the sounds of it, you sound like me -- go with Milk of Magnesia. People have been using it for 100 years, and it totally works.

The dosage is key, as you only need to take a tiny bit (like 5ml) in the evening and the same in the morning, and you'll go way easier than ever. It's safe to take daily, and you get more magnesium, which is good. The only downside is that you do become reliant on it, so make sure you have it on supply.

But it's been a game-changer for me. It's made that aspect of things just way less of a pain... literally.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Weird, I swapped my Ikea flashlight for an Ansmann M900P, it's rated at something like 700 lumen in regular use (900 in boost but you can barely tell the difference) but only 240 meter range. I guess it's caused by having a wider angle? A super narrow beam seems impractical for actually seeing stuff around you at night. Definitely coming in handy these days tho with it being pitch black outside around 5pm, makes walking in the park even after work still feasible.
Yeah, lumens are not a measure of how far a light will throw. I think a lot of that comes down to the surface of the inner reflector, which in the case of a little spotlight beam is very smooth, but for a floodier flashlight may have a nubbly, orange peel surface. It is definitely true that the little spotlights are not very practical, but they are a lot of fun and make excellent gifts. I also bought another light (the wurkkos fc11) which is a lot more practical for taking a hike or if the power goes out. It is also quite bright, but much better for lighting up a dark room or path.

That said, the one I use the most is the Rovyvon A3, because it's the size of my pinky and is on my keychain. $30 for 80-meter throw is plenty of light.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Also, these things...

s-l640.png

It makes flossing so much easier, especially if you have "tight contact" on your teeth. You can basically bite them in. The twin line really cleans, and you avoid them breaking that way.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Huh, so I need 3 types of flossers, a pacifier, a flashlight and a bidet. This thread is not as inexpensive as the OP suggested. 🤨

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I wouldn't call it life-changing, but flashlight technology has improved massively in the past few years. I got a crazy flashlight for my father in law, who was blown away by it. I also got one for my old man for Christmas. The kind I got them (the Thrunite Catapult V6) is sold out on Amazon, but I have one of these (a Manker MC13), and the 800-meter distance might actually not be an exaggeration. It's a spotlight that fits in a pocket, recharges on a standard USB-C, comes with a battery and a cable, for only $50. A really simple gift that's really fun to play with. You can see a demo here:

Can it literally burn a hole in my pocket? Maybe!

That link is for the yellow light, not the white people will prob be expecting

This is my go to recommendation for the uninitiated:
Wurkkos FC11

Runs off included 18650 Li-ion so no using 3-4x alkalines that start dimming mere minutes after putting a fresh one in

Nice neutral white tint, no blue or green overtones in it like in cheaper LEDs

built in usb-c charging so no need to convince them to buy more expensive name brand 18650 charger vs $2 no name charger that will burn your house down that they swear got good reviews

magnetic tail (my brother keeps his snapped onto the fridge most of the time)

Ramping interface, smooth increase from dim to bright, which matters when you're trying to use it at 1am and your night adjusted eyes hurt from a light that has a too-bright lowest mode. If you dont like that you can switch it to having 5 discrete brightness levels instead of the ramping interface.

oh and $30 with 2 day shipping and not 4 week shipping from China (but in general dont only check amazon for prices, if it even shows up there [many arent on amazon] they can be near double the actual cost if you're willing to wait a few weeks for shipping from China, where every single one of these are made)

It's not the best enthusiast light for $30 but those all assume you have nice chargers, already have high drain 18650 batteries, the user interface might take more than 30 seconds to explain, etc

sources: dude trust me (i have 10+ flashlights and none of em are sold in stores)

Nye4KXQ.png

shoutout to /r/flashlight

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. I do re-use them a decent amount (just wash them), but you are right. I would say floss in general is pretty wasteful, but I would support conventional stuff if it wasn't dogshit.
Now that I think about it they should just make a reloadable version where you just swap out the string. How is that not a thing already?

I'll see you on Dragon's Den!

I agree that they work super well though. Definitely more effective than ye Olde finger wrap technique.

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it they should just make a reloadable version where you just swap out the string. How is that not a thing already?

I agree that they work super well though. Definitely more effective than ye Olde finger wrap technique.

Not if I beat you to Dragon's Den first!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

It's probably because the floss has to be really taut which may be hard to make easily replaceable. I wonder if anyone's tried.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
That link is for the yellow light, not the white people will prob be expecting

This is my go to recommendation for the uninitiated:
Wurkkos FC11

sources: dude trust me (i have 10+ flashlights and none of em are sold in stores)

shoutout to /r/flashlight
Thank you for noticing the yellow light — correcting my link now. I only have three enthusiast lights; I'm trying to stay away from reading about lights because I can barely justify the ones I already have. But they're so fun!

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i've had a gerber shard on my keychain for about a decade and took it on various international trips in my hand luggage. no one has ever questioned it...yet.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I paid $20 for three months of game pass to see what the fuss is about. Probably the best value for my money I've gotten in awhile.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had crazy back pain from all the sitting at work. Then I got something like this which I only use at home
togu-dynair-ballkissen-xl-36-cm-tuerkis.png

It's like those gym balls but takes less space and can be used with any chair.
Before the pandemic, I only used it for a short amount of time but it still helped with my back issues.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so here's some good suggestions:

Food-related:

Whole-grain mustard
This brand is pretty widely-available in the USA. It comes in a glass jar (so no plastic waste), looks fancy so it impresses guests, a little goes a long way (so quantity shouldn't be a huge concern), and it tastes so much better than that shit you get in a plastic squeeze bottle. Does not cost much at all.

Make your own coffee creamer
Do you all know how to make coffee creamer? It's stupid easy. You get sweetened, condensed milk, you get whatever type of milk you want (almond, dairy, soy, oat, whatever) and you can flavor it with vanilla extract, honey, cinnamon, whatever. Toss all that stuff together, whisk it until homogenous, and put in a refrigerator. It's cheap, tastes so much better than anything you'll ever buy at the store.

Use cloth napkins
A lot of Americans (definitely in my family) use paper towels like they're napkins. It's pretty common. Don't do that - buy some cloth napkin sets. I promise, you're worth it.

Cleaning-related

Melamine sponges
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is pretty awesome. But it's just a brand name for melamine sponges. Here's a hundred for like $10. If you hate cleaning bathrooms as much as I do, this makes it a ton easier. Everything gets easier with melamine sponges.

Buy your cleaning stuff at dollar stores or make your own. It's the same shit.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
Ok all of you bidet people. Please describe in words how it works? I mean does a stream of water shoot directly on your asshole to clean it or something? How long does the stream of water go at it? Does it clean ALL the shit off your ass? I can imagine it getting quite wet after it's done jetting on your asshole. So what then? Do you have a towel on-hand to dry your bum off? I've been interested in one but have given pause due to how messy I believe it is.