• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I bought one of these yesterday on your recommendation.
I just want to say, thanks!
It's just what I needed, was getting a bit of a pain in my mouse hand
71VuTm5ACrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-V628-Adjustable-Sensitivity/dp/B0759V6FZC

Along with a vertical mouse (bought this one a while back) it makes a great combination.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to with the WaterPik here.

I've never been a big flosser, but since I started using the WaterPik, trips to the dentist have been a lot less bloodier.

Plus it's always amazing to see what falls out of those teeth after a meal, especially when you have a lot of veggies. It's like a forest falls into the sink.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I've owned cats my whole life, have tried every kind of cat litter and system and it is by far the worst thing about owning a cat. But earlier this year when we adopted our new kitty I learned about pine pellet bedding as a litter alternative, and let me tell you it changed everything. The pellets absorb urine and break down into odorless sawdust. We got a sifting litter box, just lift up the top tray and all the sawdust filters down into the bottom tray and we dump it in the trash. Scoop the poop out and you're done. We never smell anything, it's doesn't get tracked around the house, doesn't get stuck to her, it's amazing. The best part is it's cheap as hell. We get a 40lbs bag for $6 at Tractor Supply, and it last 5-6 months.

This sounds amazing. What litter box do you use? Any sifter one would work?

Quick search recommended this one:

Petmate Arm & Hammer

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We got a Cuisinart toaster oven with convection to replace our toaster and give us air fryer capabilities. It works great. It was on sale for like $140 for black Friday.

Edit: I also bought some whetstones to sharpen our knives instead of having to take them to a sharpener. I haven't gotten really good at it yet but it definitely helped the first time trying.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
A portable induction burner. Not only does it heat up faster but it doesn't radiate heat which is an extremely good thing with our long-ass brutal summers.

61u0m8VP01L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, every time you bring this up I want to buy it so badly, but our household already has all the separate machines that perform each function.
You should still get it. You can then have it cooking something while you use your other tools for other things. We ended up liking the grill so much that we got the regular Foodi, too, and even that wasn't a regrettable purchase.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
People are repping a cast iron pan, which you absolutely should invest in, but I would also suggest an affordable stainless steel set of pots and pans. They require a smidge of learning and adjustment to utilize best (not as much as cast iron, but a bit more than enamel/no-stick stuff) but they will also last you a lifetime with normal care.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

I've never been a big flosser, but since I started using the WaterPik, trips to the dentist have been a lot less bloodier.

Plus it's always amazing to see what falls out of those teeth after a meal, especially when you have a lot of veggies. It's like a forest falls into the sink.

This makes me happy to see. WaterPik changed my life for reals when I started using it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Sigh, every time you bring this up I want to buy it so badly, but our household already has all the separate machines that perform each function.
We did too, and we said fuck it and got ninja foodi. Saves so much space on the counter, and does the baking and airfrying job much better than other appliances.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

It's an Echo Wall Clock that shows your current timers that you've set with Alexa on an Echo device. It's nice to be able to set a timer and not have to ask how much time is left on the timer since you can now visibly see it. In the case of that image, there is a 15 min timer, and a 30 min timer set and you can easily see both. Even better is you can get multiple clocks to put in different rooms and yet see the same timer. As an added bonus, it sets the time automatically so when you go through something like Daylight Savings, there's no need to adjust the clock by an hour.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
People are repping a cast iron pan, which you absolutely should invest in, but I would also suggest an affordable stainless steel set of pots and pans. They require a smidge of learning and adjustment to utilize best (not as much as cast iron, but a bit more than enamel/no-stick stuff) but they will also last you a lifetime with normal care.
With you here, cast iron is def. neat and their indestructibility lands em handily on the "inexpensive" part of this equation, but it's not near as life changing wrt kitchen kit as e.g. a thermapen or even a set of kitchen towels.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a stealth gift idea thread? Cause I'm going to use it like one.
My pick:
Instantpot/Crockpot - Get a size good for your household. Crockpots are the cheaper, take-longer version, instantpots are god damn miracle machines but a bit pricier for a unit big enough for a family of 4. Being able to dump a bunch of things in the pot in the morning and come home to dinner is the best. The instantpot means I don't even have to do it in the morning.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've been intrigued by vertical mice for a while, but I always fall back to a solid trackball for work. I've been using an MX Ergo, which is a bit pricey, but Logitech just put out a new model (Ergo M575) that's cheaper and uses BLE.
I like the Ergo (bit heavy), but I'm tired of Logitech not making a model that has their fast scrolling mouse wheel. I used to love that in the past regular Logitech mouse I had, but none of these trackball mouse has ever had it.

I misss being able to click a button and zoom through long websites.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I like the Ergo (bit heavy), but I'm tired of Logitech not making a model that has their fast scrolling mouse wheel. I used to love that in the past regular Logitech mouse I had, but none of these trackball mouse has ever had it.

I misss being able to click a button and zoom through long websites.
I have the M575 on order, remind me in a few days and I'll tell you if it's got the better wheel.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
You should still get it. You can then have it cooking something while you use your other tools for other things. We ended up liking the grill so much that we got the regular Foodi, too, and even that wasn't a regrettable purchase.

Haha meph said no to me already :(.

It's definitely staying on my list of things to someday purchase though :D.

Wheatly

Nov 18, 2017

I've been curious about these - How does a WaterPik work for the back of the gums?

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
I've been curious about these - How does a WaterPik work for the back of the gums?

Basically use it like you would floss, you use the attachment that gives the most water flow (i more or less tossed everything else) and you spray the gunk out of your teeth doing a 'u' motion for each tooth. Do the front and the back of your teeth as you lean over the sink. Not sure how you would use it or your gums, (maybe one of the attachments?) but I would think that clearing out food particles/plaque etc would be healthy for your gums. It certainly leads to less inflammation of the gums.

My dentist said you should start around pressure 3 or 4 and gradually work your way up to about an 8 every couple of weeks. I do it once a day before I go to bed before brushing, and my gums bleed a lot less at the dentist when going in for a routine cleaning.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I also recommend Hexclad, which is like steel-bonded non-stick. It works surprisingly well and is super easy to maintain. It is not nearly as non-stick as its commercials show, but it is that durable.

Haha meph said no to me already :(.

It's definitely staying on my list of things to someday purchase though :D.
Yeah, I'm definitely not here to save you money, cause I like to have stuff like that. I have the Foodi, Foodi Grill, Instant Pot, a Philips air fryer, and a Tiger rice cooker on my counter right now, plus a Zojirushi induction hot pot and more stuff in the cabinets, and I'd recommend them all without hesitation.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading through this thread desperate to get a gift idea for my father.
I wouldn't call it life-changing, but flashlight technology has improved massively in the past few years. I got a crazy flashlight for my father in law, who was blown away by it. I also got one for my old man for Christmas. The kind I got them (the Thrunite Catapult V6) is sold out on Amazon, but I have one of these (a Manker MC13), and the 800-meter distance might actually not be an exaggeration. It's a spotlight that fits in a pocket, recharges on a standard USB-C, comes with a battery and a cable, for only $50. A really simple gift that's really fun to play with. You can see a demo here:

Can it literally burn a hole in my pocket? Maybe!

edit: that Amazon link is to the yellow light — here's the one I've been getting as a present, the Thrunite catapult V6, which both throws farther and lights up a yard better:

Last edited:

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I wouldn't call it life-changing, but flashlight technology has improved massively in the past few years. I got a crazy flashlight for my father in law, who was blown away by it. I also got one for my old man for Christmas. The kind I got them (the Thrunite Catapult V6) is sold out on Amazon, but I have one of these (a Manker MC13), and the 800-meter distance might actually not be an exaggeration. It's a spotlight that fits in a pocket, recharges on a standard USB-C, comes with a battery and a cable, for only $50. A really simple gift that's really fun to play with. You can see a demo here:

Can it literally burn a hole in my pocket? Maybe!

This is really cool, thank you for making the effort to suggest this.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TubShroom - no more clogged hair in your tub! This one was the most life-changing so far.

tubshroom2._SR300,300_.jpg

Tongue scraper - no more bad breath with this bad boy.

4f8094db-c5b2-474c-aebc-c00fbbc20431.__CR0,0,500,500_PT0_SX300_V1___.png

Desk heater - nice way to heat yourself up quickly while working.

f3fb0a31-11b2-426a-be5c-3a22cb1c2579.7db30b42462a090b93bd536f1bc1b010.jpeg

Even better if it's coming from your health insurance. Saves you a lot of money.
The inventor of the tubshroom used to be around the other place. Kinda funny. He got pretty rich off of it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Glide Deep Clean floss = most comfortable dental floss. Used it for ages now and wouldn't use any other brand

Products_GlideProHealthDeepCleanMintFloss_1200x12001__10680__83697.1587399610.png
Glide floss is especially useful if you have problems with normal floss between tightly-spaced teeth. Much less prone to fraying/breaking. I end up using the floss pick versions most often.

GUEST_0390c107-3261-48fc-847c-5ff47bfc1134

Oct 30, 2017
Also, this this this.

If you're low on energy, weak, unmotivated, depressed, sick frequently, and/or so forth, Vitamin D is a cure to all those symptoms. Literally. Helped me get back on track with life after having been isolated at home for months. I still am and I've been taking it without the need for sunlight (and its UV rays, hooray for my skin)!

Vitamin D

71tfBvBFpBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
This sounds amazing. What litter box do you use? Any sifter one would work?

Quick search recommended this one:

Petmate Arm & Hammer
That's the exact one we bought.
I'm thinking about converting over to the pine litter, as our cat tracks litter all over the damn place, and it smells to the high heavens. I'm worried about a lidless litterbox though. Also our cat is blind, so she doesn't cover her poop when she goes to the bathroom like most cats tend to, so I'm leaning on the automatic scooper that was posted earlier due to that fact alone. Bathroom management has been the hardest part with my cat, so I'm looking for any alternatives right now honestly.