• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beside the walking simulation like firewatch, rapture, edith finch, etc.

What are some of the best indie game will a good story/characters?

I really liked Banner Saga, Cave Story, Night in the Woods, Fez (the lore is pretty good), Oxenfree, Celeste, Broken Age, Disco Elysium, Obra Dinn, every SuperGiant Games

I feel like ive played them all, the other games are too focused on gameplay and little story.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I haven't played it so maybe it's not that story focused but maybe Afterparty?
No idea how good it is though

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Celeste doesn't necessarily focus on story but it is an important element of the game. Certainly more so than your typical 2D platformer.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Wandersong.

Her Story is a rather different affair - given the whole premise is piecing *together* the story - but that counts. I wouldn't be surprised if Telling Lies, Sam Barlow's follow-up, also fits the bill, but I've not touched on that yet.

Sunless Sea is way more story-driven than it may appear at first.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Timespinner

A wonderful Metroidvania with interesting story and time travel/manipulation elements.

Based on your love for games like Celeste, Cave Story and FEZ, I reckon you'd like this.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Undertale, Iconoclasts, Outer Wilds, Observation, Crosscode, Stardew Valley, Unavowed, Wandersong

are all games I'd say have either great stories (Undertale, Outer Wilds) or at least good characters (Crosscode, Stardew) even if their plots are sparse or not always super compelling.

Oh and Lisa the Painful.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds and Undertale have some of the best stories in any video game ever, and the way they tell it makes it extra special.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Thomas Was Alone, outside of the final chapter almost ruining it for me.

I can't really think of many indie games where I've actually enjoyed the story in relation to how big a focus is put on it. Like, I only played Celeste's first 2 or 3 areas, but Madeleine is awful lol, and I guess the game doesn't want me to be on team evil Madeleine, but I am because at least she has sense.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wandersong

It's a Paper Mario game without the turn-based combat or dungeons

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Have you checked out basically everything in the LudoNarraCon sale right now on Steam? All of that should be what you're looking for.

For specific titles I think you should check out King of Dragon Pass, To the Moon, 80 Days, Sunless Sea/Sunless Skies or Heaven's Vault.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Thomas Was Alone, outside of the final chapter almost ruining it for me.

I can't really think of many indie games where I've actually enjoyed the story in relation to how big a focus is put on it. Like, I only played Celeste's first 2 or 3 areas, but Madeleine is awful lol, and I guess the game doesn't want me to be on team evil Madeleine, but I am because at least she has sense.
I need to play this game, I can't believe people say this stuff from those screenshots.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Undertale, Iconoclasts, Outer Wilds, Observation, Crosscode, Stardew Valley, Unavowed, Wandersong

are all games I'd say have either great stories (Undertale, Outer Wilds) or at least good characters (Crosscode, Stardew) even if their plots are sparse or not always super compelling.

Oh and Lisa the Painful.
Undertale!! How did I forget? One of my favourite games this generation.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Undertale is a straight topper in this regard.

The writing is consistently super charming, the characters are all lovable, and the story across multiple routes really uses games as a medium to push a genuinely fascinating narrative.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Undertale is a straight topper in this regard.

The writing is consistently super charming, the characters are all lovable, and the story across multiple routes really uses games as a medium to push a genuinely fascinating narrative.
I went into this expecting to hate it because of how obnoxious the vocal fans could be, but I absolutely loved it.

OP
OP
Alastor3

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Oh and Lisa the Painful.
Outer Wilds and Undertale have some of the best stories in any video game ever, and the way they tell it makes it extra special.
LISA: The Painful RPG

Ohh yeah how could i forget my 2 favorite games outer wilds amazing detective game and Lisa amazing rpg (lisa was basically my top 3 indie game of the last decade)

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Undertale is great and so is Talos Principle if you dig deep.

Aside from those you've named, To the Moon has a pretty good story
Have you checked out basically everything in the LudoNarraCon sale right now on Steam? All of that should be what you're looking for.

For specific titles I think you should check out King of Dragon Pass, To the Moon, 80 Days, Sunless Sea/Sunless Skies or Heaven's Vault.

To the Moon is one of my most fond games, but it's severely lacking in the gameplay department and probably isn't what the OP is looking for going by the walking sim line.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Celeste is one of my GoTG and has a good story, but that's clearly not the focus. Weird to put it here.

Stardew Valley hasn't a story per se, nothing to follow from point A to Z, but the character stories are really great.
Outer Wilds, also one of my GoTG. The story is also most of the puzzles solutions. This is really an experience you need to try.

I didn't played it so others might help (some already did) :
  • To The moon
  • Subnautica (not sure about this one)
  • Minit ?

BinaryTB

Oct 29, 2017
Steam currently has LudoNarraCon 2020 going on:
store.steampowered.com

LudoNarraCon 2024

Global Digital Festival for Narrative Games: May 9 - 13 — FREE for anyone on Steam!

It's "a digital festival celebrating narrative games". It's literally indie games with story, tons with demos.

SteveByDesign

Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Virginia.

It is an incredibly emotional game. There is no dialogue, so characters are very expressive in their actions. It is compared to the television show Twin Peaks.

I played it on PS4, pretty cheap can usually find it between 5 and 15 USD.

Virginia-Preview-Map-main.jpg

May 17, 2019
Everything by Ice-Pick Lodge. However, I also recommend: Kentucky Route Zero, The Dream Machine, Cryrostasis, Vangers, Killer7, To The Moon/Finding Paradise, SOMA, Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, The Middens Trilogy, A House of Many Doors, Beckett, and LISA.

May 17, 2019
Does Kentucky Route Zero count? Not played it myself, but I have heard good things and have it sitting on my hard drive.

How did I forget this?! Sunless Sea is fantastic.

I truly recommend KRZ. Not only is it one of my favorite games, it is one of my top pieces of media, period. The way it blends Beckett and Miller's theater styles, the feelings of Marquez's novels, and traditional American Gothic traditions is so damn impressive. One of the few literary games out there.

Also, if you like Sunless Sea, check out the underrated "A House of Many Doors"

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Everything by Ice-Pick Lodge. However, I also recommend: Kentucky Route Zero, The Dream Machine, Cryrostasis, Vangers, Killer7, To The Moon/Finding Paradise, SOMA, Where The Water Tastes Like Wine, The Middens Trilogy, A House of Many Doors, Beckett, and LISA.
I wonder how Cryostasis runs on modern machines.

It was such a mess back then. The plot is absolutely bonkers anyway, such a surreal game.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Children of Morta. It's a roguelike but actually has a big focus on the story, which is surprisingly good.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Undertale
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Detention
Papers, Please (same creator of Obra Dinn)
To The Moon

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I truly recommend KRZ. Not only is it one of my favorite games, it is one of my top pieces of media, period. The way it blends Beckett and Miller's theater styles, the feelings of Marquez's novels, and traditional American Gothic traditions is so damn impressive. One of the few literary games out there.

Nice! Beckett/Miller mash-up doesn't seem like it'd work on paper, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

A House of Many Doors looks great too!

OP
OP
Alastor3

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I loooove sunless sea, so much that im writing a novel that look like it. I'll check out the House of Many Doors!

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
Have to contribute, as this thread title is our entire studio's MO. Every game we make is story-docised, and so far we have:

- Home; a 2D horror game where your actions define the narrative
- Alone With You; an "OK Cupid meets Star Trek" adventure game with romance elements
- Worse Than Death; an action-adventure horror game that is all about characters and plot

I'd also recommend CherryMochi's Tokyo Dark, an anime/noir story that's genuinely creepy and completely dedicated to its plot.