• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
India has successfully launched a mission to soft land a rover on the moon, in a landmark moment for a nation trying to become a space superpower.

The country's latest lunar mission, Chandrayaan-2, which means "moon vehicle" in Sanskrit, took off from the Satish Dhawan Space Center at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh state at 2:43 p.m., Monday local time (5:13 am ET).

The launch was originally scheduled for July 15, but was abruptly called off just 56 minutes before lift-off due to a "technical snag." India is now on the way to becoming the fourth country -- in addition to United States, China and the former Soviet Union -- to make a soft-landing on the lunar surface.

SOURCE

Incredibly surprised there is no thread on such a notable story on here, though Era does tend to skew anglo-centric to the exclusion of almost everything else.

Anyway, it's a pretty great achievement. Now to see how far India can follow through on its space ambitions.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for India and wish them all the success.

But I have one question

How are you still posting with that user requested ban tag :o

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In before "But there are poor people/social issues and you spending money to send stuff to space" comments.
ISRO is basically pretty much one of the only legit player in space game out there, alongside NASA, ESA, CNSA, Roscosmos and SpaceX

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
How are you still posting with that user requested ban tag :o

They are manually removed when user-requested bans expire. Sometimes members get back to posting before we notice.

Now look here, please.

The+flash+of+light+you+saw+in+the+sky+was+_f3dd5103bbac37684f2b48216ff5e9d8.jpg

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Very exciting news for India and glad to hear every precaution was taken with the launch. Spaceflight is not easy and many attempts have ended in tragedy. Even though this is just a rover that's a lot of effort and resources that could be lost. Glad to hear they scrapped the first launch and delayed it as necessary.

Let's hope it comes back successful!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Water close to the surface. Further mapping and geological surveying of an area that hasn't yet been extensively covered. Scouting for a possible future lunar space station.
Makes sense, about as much as you can do with a Rover on the moon nowadays. I hope someone gets going with that lunar base plan soon though.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Makes sense, about as much as you can do with a Rover on the moon nowadays. I hope someone gets going with that lunar base plan soon though.

Good news: it's a priority of the current administration.
Bad news: it's a priority of the current administration.

Good news: NASA is set to provide the launch vehicle.
Bad news: That launch vehicle is SLS.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

That's what the Artemis program is starting. A space station around the moon and to allow astronauts to live on the moon for weeks at a time. The first stepping stones for an actual outpost.

Artemis_Phase_1.jpg

GK86

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, India! I look forward to watching this over the next few weeks and years to come.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This stinks :(

Thank goodness it was an unmanned mission.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
"The landers assent was as planned and nominal performance was observed up to an altitude of 2.1KM. Subsequently the communication from the lander to the ground station was lost. The data is being analyzed. "

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Gutted. Was watching the live stream and saw the lander do summersaults on the tracker and knew something was up. On to Chandrayaan 3 now i guess.