• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... WTF...

LAPD has 10,000 officers. If they all average a salary of $100,000/year, that's only $1 Billion. Where is the other $2 Billion going?

Are the buildings and equipment really costing LAPD $2 billion a year???
Rent, bills (for utilities, events, contractors), equipment purchase and maintenance etc

Pretty sure NYC is similar.
D9eqjha.png

Apparently the criminal justice reformers want to cut $1 billion off it which I'd agree with as that now is a ballooned budget right there.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's entire military budget for 2019/2020 is supposed to come up to around $22B. That's the budget to pay for defence and for soldiers/veterans for the second largest country on Earth. How on Earth is a single police force for a single city getting $3B for its budget? Do they consider themselves a hostile invading force that needs to be militarised at all times against the people of LA?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's actually not...they are pretty similar in size. Vastly different in population though but also vastly different in wages.
My prior example of London is closer, which gets a billion dollar more and is under funded. Now London is similar in size too though twice the population.
I was going off population of the metro areas, not actual landmass. Should've been more clear.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Emergency Management: 1 million
Cultural affairs: 10 million
Parks and Rec : 150 million
Transportation: 100 million
LAPD: 3 billion
Housing and Community investing: 50 million
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my people are protesting.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my people are protesting.
Policing is the avocado toasts of city budgets

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Breakdown of the proposed budget 2019-2020 budget for anyone interested. Source is here - Pages 146-163.

2020-2021 proposed budget for comparison. Source - Page # is 152 but the PDF Page # is 168.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

it's just so ridiculous like fuckkkkkkk.

like im pretty sure if you invested in all the other things in this list, your need for the LAPD would be reduced.

May 21, 2018
Take a billion off of LAPD and put it to transportation. Lordy knows the city needs it more than so many cops.

(Housing and community investment too.)

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take a billion off of LAPD and put it to transportation. Lordy knows the city needs it more than so many cops.

(Housing and community investment too.)

Based on the structure and fixed commitments, cutting $1B out can only hit the variable. Effectively $1B would cut the police force in half. Pensions etc still need to be funded.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Canada's entire military budget for 2019/2020 is supposed to come up to around $22B. That's the budget to pay for defence and for soldiers/veterans for the second largest country on Earth. How on Earth is a single police force for a single city getting $3B for its budget? Do they consider themselves a hostile invading force that needs to be militarised at all times against the people of LA?
Er...Canada ain't even close to being the second largest country on earth, unless you mean only by landmass and not by population which would be a bad metric to use for this sort of thing.

Agree with you about the extreme level of spending on police here in the US though, just thought I'd point that out to you.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Based on the structure and fixed commitments, cutting $1B out can only hit the variable. Effectively $1B would cut the police force in half. Pensions etc still need to be funded.
I would imagine that an actual plan would involve downsizing and offering severance to rank and file being laid off, which in turn would decrease salary and pension costs down the line.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Delhi Police has a budget of $1.2 billion. They are severely under equipped and under trained while paying a salary that's like 5-10 times less than western counterparts. Just because it looks big doesn't mean it's actually ridiculous.The US government spends far far more on entirely unnecessary stuff. Like perhaps people should start with why US military budget is like 3 quarters of a trillion.

And LAPD does not have tanks or flying drones.
Why the fuck would you compare Dehli to LA? They are entirely different societies with vastly different levels of development and crime. This is absurd.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would you compare Dehli to LA? They are entirely different societies with vastly different levels of development and crime. This is absurd.
Because of the exact reason that it's a different society.
If you read my post prior to that on the same page you'd see that I brought up London, and then a page later I brought up NYC....are those cities and societies comparable enough? Because they have similar budgets. The absurdity is in singling out one post in a chain of post and responding to it without the context that it relies on.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They need to reallocate at least a billion from that police spending as a start, see how the dust settles and learn from the challenges of the reduction, then revisit the budget again several years down the line for further reallocation away from law enforcement. I think it's clear they don't need that many cops, the cops don't need such expensive and exotic equipment and vehicles, and their pensions are pretty ludicrous to saddle on the backs of taxpayers (by all means keep a pension, but the absurd payouts they're getting is stupid).

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
These police budgets for a single city are obscene!!! I don't care if it includes their surroundings or their entire state for that matter, it's simply unbelievable. They're enough to put a cop on every corner helping old ladies cross the street and rescuing kittens 24/7.

So one less sonic torture device this year?
One less ivory back scratcher per cop.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Cut the police budget and then have the military buy back all the military gear in order to fund advanced training. Or advanced training and screening should be a different fund wrapped together with an oversight commit for police.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, honest question here. Do you really want to cut the budget for the police completely?

I think the better option would be to hire and train police officers who aren't fucking racist, and prosecute the ones who are?

Serious statement. I mean what is our plan to stop actual crime in America if we just cut the police out of the budget?
Stopping crime come down to making it so that people don't have to resort to it in the first place. LA could literally use that money to help communities, better schools after school programs etc that would reduce crime. Or they could give it to the police and continue the prison industrial complex

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the exact reason that it's a different society.
If you read my post prior to that on the same page you'd see that I brought up London, and then a page later I brought up NYC....are those cities and societies comparable enough? Because they have similar budgets. The absurdity is in singling out one post in a chain of post and responding to it without the context that it relies on.
I read your other posts, I still find the comparison disingenuous. The more useful comparison here is between what LA spends on policing vs. what they spend on community development, housing, and transportation. Those areas come with massive crime reduction and increased quality of life if invested in, but the city is more interested in maintaining an oppressive militarized force.

Dehli's needs are so vastly different that talking about how their budget is 1/3rd of LA but vastly underresourced is a useless comparison given the massive difference in context. NYC is just as over-policed as LA, so that comparison is more germaine but supports the idea that the budgets need slashed.

London is a better comparison but London has similar issues to large cities in the US in regards to over-policing/underfunding community development, just not quite as egregious as the US.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get to $3b? The FY20-21 budget called for an appropriation of $1.86b.

6roDYlG.png

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stopping crime come down to making it so that people don't have to resort to it in the first place. LA could literally use that money to help communities, better schools after school programs etc that would reduce crime. Or they could give it to the police and continue the prison industrial complex
Police also perpetuate a lot of crimes themselves. Go look at domestic violence rates for law enforcement vs. The rest of the population, it's harrowing.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

God damn. Until this week, if you would've asked me what that graph would look like, it would be nothing like this.

3 billion. Jesus. It's a mob racket.

Edit: And the thing that gets me is that this is just LAPD. LA county itself has the Sheriff's department and most every municipality in the county has their own PD as well, so it's not like 3 billion to cover the entire county, just LA metro.

Last edited:

easter

Nov 15, 2017
this is a they are stupid so they will think its a win type lip service. this is more insulting than anything.