• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
The Lebanese civil war ended in 1990, and the politicians who started it agreed to stop it pertinent to dividing the power and the country riches among themselves. For almost 3 decades they stole money from the people, made shady deals behind their backs to make millions at their expense, and took the country onto the precipice of financial and currency collapse. All the politicians, active or past, became instant millionaires, and some billionaires according to Wikileaks documents.

Now with the international community refusing to lend Lebanon any money until the government figures out how to reduce the debt from 150% of the GDP, the only thing the corrupt assholes could think of doing was to further increase taxation on the people but increasing the value added tax to 15%, taxing VOIP (Whatsapp, Telegram, etc), and gasoline. All this meanwhile they continued to inflate their own salaries and failing to handle a mounting trash crisis in the nation, while narrowly escaping a huge fire disaster this week (after it was discovered that the fancy firefighting helicopters they received from the US were decommissioned because they could not find funds to maintain them!).

This was the straw the camel's back. Since Thursday night people have been in the streets rebelling and rioting. They have burned down corrupt politician's property (which they bought out of enriching themselves on the people's back) and asking for the government to resign, the politicians to return the stolen money hidden away in Swiss banks, and the formation of an independent technocratic government to save Lebanon.

Reuters estimates 1.2 million are currently on the streets protesting; that is a QUARTER of the entire population of Lebanon.

These are images from the protests below (give me a couple of mins to upload):

Lebanese people make a party out of everything

A wedding and a pool siesta in the middle of the protests, why not!

Joker even made an appearance

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That Whatsapp tax seemed to really be the spark this week, didn't it. Everyone I know in Lebanon had a new level of anger hearing about that - maybe it was more of a final straw sort of thing, but it lit a damn fire.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy turnout.

Lebanon is so damn tiny and only has about 6 million people. It's an absolutely staggering turnout.

w4k0q8xsmht31.jpg

OP
OP
LebGuns

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
The kick heard around the country (don't fuck with Lebanese women):

The Arabic text in the photo loosely translates to "get them".

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing to see all those people! I really hope they get a new fair government. They deserve it after all that fuckery.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now with the international community refusing to lend Lebanon any money until the government figures out how to reduce the debt from 150% of the GDP, the only thing the corrupt assholes could think of doing was to further increase taxation on the people but increasing the value added tax to 15%.
It's important to note that it's the IMF which is pushing for those goals and for those measures, specifically.
The IMF like to present itself as "the international community" but really it's an undemocratic garbage organization that coerce developing countries into having more right wing economic policies.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the Arab spring is back. Sudan, Algeria, Egypt, Iraq and now Lebanon.

You missed the most badass clip from yesterday, OP:

OP
OP
LebGuns

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
It's important to note that it's the IMF which is pushing for those goals and for those measures, specifically.
The IMF like to present itself as "the international community" but really it's an undemocratic garbage organization that coerce developing countries into having more right wing economic policies.

Well for us to have right wing economic policies in Lebanon, we need to have an economy first, so jokes on them.

OP
OP
LebGuns

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
If history taught us anything, is that no situation can be that bad that it cannot be made worse by the IMF getting involved.

The whole point is the people are trying to avoid the austerity measures imposed by the IMF by forcing the thieving politicians to return the billions of dollars they have stolen. This is the first step towards that.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about this too.
There were some insanely huge protests this year (this, Hong Kong, Czech for example) but I haven't read anything about a large scale protest in the US since the first year of the Trump administration. Were there any?
We are all terrified of being fired here for missing work/getting arrested or not impacted badly enough by terrible policies. The worst policies either only impact small percentages or people who are already oppressed in various ways.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Honest q: how progressive is Lebanon's society compared to other middle eastern nations?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. The pictures in this thread. What an amazing group of people. This shit is happening everywhere. How did we allow such awful people to gain so much influence everywhere?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole point is the people are trying to avoid the austerity measures imposed by the IMF by forcing the thieving politicians to return the billions of dollars they have stolen. This is the first step towards that.
The only way to avoid the austerity measures imposed by the IMF is to not take loans from them. They will always and forever will be for austerity and raising taxes on the poor.
I do hope they kick out their shitty politicians regardless though.
There were some insanely huge protests this year (this, Hong Kong, Czech for example) but I haven't read anything about a large scale protest in the US since the first year of the Trump administration. Were there any?
There was nothing like that. The political energy in the US seem to mostly be focused around the Democratic primaries these days, and I personally hate it.
Another thing worth remembering is that cops in the US are fucking awful, and protests with that level of disruption is gonna mean a whole lot of dead people.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Of course it's the IMF, the bankrobbers and economy destroyers of the world, I cant believe the shit cunt institution is still being allowed to do its thing.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really pulling for the people of Lebanon here. I hope they win the fair and representative government they deserve; there certainly appears to be the will to do it. A curse on all the corrupt that rob us every day (including the IMF, of course).

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course it's the IMF, the bankrobbers and economy destroyers of the world, I cant believe the shit cunt institution is still being allowed to do its thing.
I honestly think it's because people for the most part don't understand what it is and what it does, if they think about it at all.
Which is why I'm gonna be like a broken record in threads like this.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The IMF is an institution that isn't there to help, they arrive with programs full of taxes and budget cuts so they can pocket the maximum money they can under the "assistance umbrella". Basically is loan sharking

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lovely to see, best of wishes for the Lebanese people!
There's also big protests in UK, with Extinction Rebellion and today was People's Vote against Brexit with a million people.
0_Hello-PeoplesVoteMarch.jpg

The big protests in USA I remember were the Women's March and pro-DACA for immigration which had a part to play in DACA staying alive, but very little about Trump impeachment so far which is odd.

Small impeachment rallies have broken out recently in American cities, and that's great to see, but they've been modest in size compared to the demonstrations of 2017, lacked support from major political figures, and crucially have played no role in the official political strategy of the people running the impeachment process.​

Maybe Americans are more scared of losing a day's pay or are too centrist/center-right to partake in protests? There needs to be more mobilisation and a strong unified message across various groups to reach into millions of people protesting.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
This has little to do with the IMF specifically. The problems in Lebanon are more fundamental.
The country is presided over by a corrupt oligarchy of sectarian leaders that have carved up the country between them. It's divided up explicitly thanks to the Taif agreement. The corruption is formalised.

It's gotten this far because of all the gulf money coming in, but that well is running dry. Moreover, the political situation of the last year means you have essentially a weak truce rather than a functioning government. Simply put being broke and lawless isn't good for confidence in the future of the country.

The situation in Iraq has some similarities

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Americans fearing for their jobs instead of attending protests need to watch the video of the woman kicking the guy with the AK-47 on repeat...

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
It was nice, the Mall where I work was closed yesterday, so got an extra day off.

Don't expect much change really, I expect the new bill to pass without any added taxes on the lower classes on Monday, people will still be rioting, but they haven't offered much in terms of alternative to the people in power, the same who have been in power for over 30 years.

Like ok you burned Patchi in downtown, you looted Puma, you burned Berri's restaurant in Tyr, now what? Who's gonna drag them out, put the cuffs on them, prosecute them and take back all the money they stole?

Personally I don't see Berri, Harriri, Jumblatt, or the rest ever held accountable.

The protests while loud, are aimless, leaderless and offer no alternative to replace the government, same thing that happened in Egypt, they allowed the revolution to be kidnapped by the Army.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
If its Arab Spring 2.0 expect some Occupy style movements in the states within the next year.

OP
OP
LebGuns

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
It was nice, the Mall where I work was closed yesterday, so got an extra day off.

Don't expect much change really, I expect the new bill to pass without any added taxes on the lower classes on Monday, people will still be rioting, but they haven't offered much in terms of alternative to the people in power, the same who have been in power for over 30 years.

Like ok you burned Patchi in downtown, you looted Puma, you burned Berri's restaurant in Tyr, now what? Who's gonna drag them out, put the cuffs on them, prosecute them and take back all the money they stole?

Personally I don't see Berri, Harriri, Jumblatt, or the rest ever held accountable.

The protests while loud, are aimless, leaderless and offer no alternative to replace the government, same thing that happened in Egypt, they allowed the revolution to be kidnapped by the Army.

There are a lot of independents that can lead like Ziad Baroud and Paula Yacobian.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
From what i could read, even if they manage to topple the corrupt i can't really see a way to avoid austerity measures at this stage.
Hope for the best.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
There are a lot of independents that can lead like Ziad Baroud and Paula Yacobian.

Paula Yacobian worked as a Harriri propagandist for years, she's independent now but her views in regards to Lebanese internal politics are known. Ziad Baroud is a possibility.

Realistically speaking tho, anything short of the army doing a coup d'etat and arresting the ministers and party leaders, nothing is going to change. Honestly, is anyone expecting the army to march into Aley and arrest Jumblat for example? Same for the rest.

Unless this whole thing turns into an armed uprising, don't see much long term change to dismantle the current parties.

From what i could read, even if they manage to topple the corrupt i can't really see a way to avoid austerity measures at this stage.
Hope for the best.

We're over 100 Billions USD in debt, due to corruption, funds being stolen or wasted and poor planning by a Prime minister who lead this country into massive debt before being assassinated. Yeah it's either we hang the rich and take the money back or austerity.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly this protest is flying under the radar among the international community and western world. All people ever see of Lebanon is the fake shit shows like Homeland and shitty ass movies like Beirut fictionally present it as.

Yep. All we get is imperialist propaganda where the middle eastern countries are a nest of terrorism for the west to fight or a collection of impotent people for the west to save. And by save, i mean bomb.

Things are at a point where there's so.much.shit going on all over the world that it's real information overload. Even people who actually care can't keep up with everything.

I hope things go well for the Lebanese people.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with the pic in the first tweet, that one street is completely empty? Or is there some important person at the head of that?