• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Brandon Alexander, founder of the Killer Instinct World Cup, just tweeted this:

Possible news incoming for the Microsoft fighter?

I'd really love to see a new chapter, considering how good and well managed the reboot has been.

Even more I'd like to see the reboot heading to next-gen with a new engine and continue adding features and characters.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
probably confirming it's coming to series X + a new season (?)

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
My dream of it being a new season or game though it'll probably be a new online tournament or something along the lines.
Either way cool to see it being back in some way.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This appears to simply be news about the return of the KI World Cup.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Online EVO is supposedly gonna have announcements throughout it, if this announcement (whatever it is) happens during EVO in July, there's a chance it's sommit more than just another tourney announcement

at least hopefully

edit: well shit :/

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Here's a weird theory for you, Remember that big list of developers that had signed up to make games for Series X and Amazon Studios was on there.

What if Amazon Studios = Double Helix and they are back on making a follow up game.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Here's a weird theory for you, Remember that big list of developers that had signed up to make games for Series X and Amazon Studios was on there.

What if Amazon Studios = Double Helix and they are back on making a follow up game.
Mmmh... can't see Amazon developing for an exclusive game.

On the other hand, they already develop just for PC, so adding the Xbox line would not be that weird.

In reality, i guess that if Microsoft wants more Killer instinct they could ask Iron Galaxy.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I would want this more than a new game, otherwise we'd be back to 8 fighters again.

Just update graphics news stages, characters, music and moves
If they're going to work on the series more, they're probably going to make a new game. I remember there being serious limitations with the engine Double Helix made that make the addition of things like Eyedol, Gargos, and Shadow Lords mode nothing sort of a miracle.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A resurgence of KI would be great. As much as I want a sequel, maybe we only get a tournament, which is better than nothing!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I still say this is the best fighting game of the generation and it really deserves a sequel.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully between KI Cup and Evo, MS will FINALLY realize how important KI is to the community. Maximilian which is known among the fighting game community lost it thanks to KI being at EVO. "Am finally excited for EVO"

That speaks volumes

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
KI was the best fighter this gen, sad it's just now finally starting to get the respect it deserves.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Did the crushed blacks thing ever get fixed on KI? I always wanted to jump in on the game but couldn't get past that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed it's getting some level of support again.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, but you know this due to some communication by Microsoft?

Personal/insider knowledge?

Just the strength of feeling from those such as Jez Corden. Despite the fact that some on here don' t like him, he knows. He also called Lockhart before others and, even when others said it was dumped, said it was still coming. He gets a lot right about Xbox and ha a lot of contacts.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I am ALWAYS down for more KI.

I love the character diversity in the is game. Especially Mira and Hisako. Ken-Ra and Sadira are also pretty cool.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Be cool if they made a AAA Killer Insinct game although didn't the development switch several times I don't even know who would work on it.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to watching some good matches soon. I love the game, but I'm not very good at it.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Be cool if they made a AAA Killer Insinct game although didn't the development switch several times I don't even know who would work on it.

honestly just running down the list of possibilities, I think if another KI is happening it probably would be AAA and very likely done completely outside MS.

Two reasons for that

MS kind of half wound down the support studio... like one of the biggest proponents of KI in Ishmae1 moved over to working on AOE if I remember correctly... Keits not working on it would be weird if it's done by IG... just because he was the game designer

The thing that gets really sticky really quickly is fighting game devs are a rarity and the ones that would do big budget already have big budget fighters.

There is very low possibility that DH (Amazon OC) would work on it considering they're working on an MMO right now that's just about to go into beta.

As strange as it sounds, there might be a better chance for MK vs KI than KI 2 at the immediate moment just because of the weird vibes I'm getting from everyone. (that KI 2 may not be on the cards)

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Huge KI Fan, i'm hoping that they will go back to KI2; The best fighting game of them all.
The ki3 had a lot of bad things:
- Art (character design)
- Music
- A lot of things are missing from KI2

Yeah, i'm really hoping that they don't mess it up this time.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
As a Huge KI Fan, i'm hoping that they will go back to KI2; The best fighting game of them all.
- Art (character design)
- Music

lololol

KI 3 has more top tier tracks than either KI/KI2 have TRACKS

or are you one of the strange ones that think Mick Gordon got popular because of Doom?

Also not sure I should even try arguing the character art. KI and KI 2 was just Fulgore, Orchid (sort of a character because she had unique weapons) Jago (sort of?) and Glacius surrounded by the most generic characters one could imagine. No joke. Most characters in KI and KI 2 had less effort put in them than Omen and he's just transparent dude with a mask. Rest? werewolf with a shirt, jason and the argonauts skeleton wearing a bandana, dude on fire, demonic cyclops, raptor wearing bracelets, barbarian with tattoos, jungle girl with a tiara, racist stereotypical depiction of a native american man, gargoyle, boxer and eventually boxer with an eye patch. I guess Kim Wu sort of gets a half pass.

Outside of the core 4, their designs were sad but brought to life with their movesets or personality. Even with Kim Wu considered as a somewhat ok character, that means that not even HALF of either KI1 or 2s roster had actual effort put into their design, but that there's less characters between both KI and KI2 (excluding redundancies) in terms of quality character designs than KI 3 had in their 6 character launch.

KI 3 brought respectable designs and redesigns to characters that quite honestly were nothing but a handful of napkins with scribbles.

In terms of mechanics, yeesh... mechanically KI3 is one of the best fighters ever made. I am not missing anything from KI2.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
- Art (character design)
- Music

Dude

What
Yeah let's go back to KI2's female character designs, great idea.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
As for who could make a KI4? There's only 3 teams I can think of that would make sense.

1. Iron Galaxy, preferably collabing with some former KI guys like Kevin Bayliss, Ken Lobb and having Rare consult on art and production value.

2. Mike Z and the Skullgirls team..Mike Z is a huge KI fan and consulted on very early KI 2013 concepts...again consulting with Bayliss, Klobb etc.

3. MS somehow contracts the former DH guys from Amazon Games to comeback for their sequel.

and before anyone says NRS..my answer is respectfully no thanks. Sure with their massive budget their production value, visuals and single player content is amazing..but when it comes to actual gameplay they are severely lacking IMO.

Regardless of who does it, if it does happen it's likely minimum 2 years out..Id guess Holiday 2022. If it's done right with a proper budget I'll gladly wait.