• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
fantastic movie, one of the best experiences I've had in the cinema.

Sadly I missed it in the cinema. I got the DVD for Christmas and watched it. It was insane. My favourite type with lots of plot twists. I distinctly remember being left in suspension with the ending.

I totally got the film and admired the concept.

It's the only film where I immediately watched it again. It's one of the great movies. Am a sci fi fan and this is a classic

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was cool but I don't think it played by its own rules throughout. Can't really remember specifics. I need to watch it again.

Oct 25, 2017
Also they say people build dreams from what they know. I don't normally dream about crazy environments tbh.
Outside of the stuff where I'm flying or falling down a hole, I really don't recall ever having a dream trippier than anything seen in Inception.

Weirdest reoccurring thing is something like me leaving work and then I'm suddenly in my backyard which is something I now recognize because of the movie.

I get preferring something wilder, but I don't get how adding more surreal elements would've served Inception's story better.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the stuff where I'm flying or falling down a hole, I really don't recall ever having a dream trippier than anything seen in Inception.

Weirdest reoccurring thing is something like me leaving work and then I'm suddenly in my backyard which is something I now recognize because of the movie.

I get preferring something wilder, but I don't get how adding more surreal elements would've served Inception's story better.
It wouldn't. It would have made it worse.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's very enjoyable still, but it is pretty messy in some areas, especially on repeat viewings.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's cool. For a movie about dreams though, theres very little in it that feels dreamy. Its visually rigid, angular, and grey. Movies about dreams should be weirder and more surreal than this was.
This is probably the thing that I was most disappointed by. I wanted it to get weirder. Like, it didn't have to turn into The Cell, but the strangest thing after Ariadne first fucks with things too much is just kinda some shifts in gravity. And it's cool, but I wanted to see more.

Oct 26, 2017
A good movie that also spawned a series of jokes that got old real quick.

"It's a [blank] within a [blank]! [blank]CEPTION!"

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One of the best movie experiences ever, don't remember if I saw it twice or three times. I can never make my mind up about what Nolan's best movie is, because I switch between this, The Dark Knight and The Prestige all the time. Interstellar also gets despite its issues in the latter 1/3rd because of how fucking incredible a space movie it actually is.

If Tenet is 90% as good as Inception, we're in for some luscious Nolan greatness. I hope he's not going soft though, and he gives a really unique ending, Interstellar would have been a better movie without the last 15 minutes of the movie
Where Nolan tried to give a happy ending when there really wasn't need to IMO. It was far more interesting with Coop in the 5th dimension, forever stuck, giving us a glorious bittersweet ending.
Also they say people build dreams from what they know. I don't normally dream about crazy environments tbh.
People just wanted to see crazy shit just because it's dream. It's fine I guess, doing something that seems more real overall was far more engaging for me though.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Like pretty much all of Nolan's films, there is a huge spectacle for each film. I see each one in the cinema and its grand and mind bending in some way.. then I never watch it again..

The experience of watching this opening week was awesome in the cinema with friends, but then I am kinda over it and never watched it again. I can still remember the film and what happens pretty well, so maybe thats it.

I remember liking the soundtrack, the special effects and seeing Ken Watanabe in a big film.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
People just wanted to see crazy shit just because it's dream. It's fine I guess, doing something that seems more real overall was far more engaging for me though.
Yeah, especially when people saw Doctor Strange and thought why couldn't Inception have been an all out crazy CGI fest.

It just wouldn't fit this particular story at all. You should be doubting whether it's reality the entire time watching the film, the lines become blurred.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, especially when people saw Doctor Strange and thought why couldn't Inception have been an all out crazy CGI fest.

It just wouldn't fit this particular story at all. You should be doubting whether it's reality the entire time watching the film, the lines become blurred.
People saw Dr Strange and thought Inception should've been this? That's ... a take.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
There's already a thread on this

www.resetera.com

INCEPTION was released ten years ago

Inception was released ten years ago (July 16 in North America and United Kingdom, other territories later in the month). How do you feel about the film, in general and in comparison to Nolan's other work? Do you still love it, or does it not hold up on multiple viewings? Does the exposition...

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
The hype and praise for this film was through the roof on release. I hated it but need to watch it again. It feels way longer than ten years

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
one of my favourite films, seen it countless times now

Also, Time is my top Zimmer track

Oct 25, 2017
There's already a thread on this

www.resetera.com

INCEPTION was released ten years ago

Inception was released ten years ago (July 16 in North America and United Kingdom, other territories later in the month). How do you feel about the film, in general and in comparison to Nolan's other work? Do you still love it, or does it not hold up on multiple viewings? Does the exposition...
Clever.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
qKGeQFH.jpg

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I absolutely love Inception.

And I usually dont like Nolan movies. Interstellar was whatever, and Prestige was complete shit.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
I smoked a fat blunt right before going in the theater to watch it, so it was a fantastic experience overall.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The closet Christopher Nolan has ever got to making the Matrix, the film whose popularity paved the one for his own brand of cinema. The Matrix was a super cool high concept blockbuster, synthesizing many different pop genres. It utilized exposition as a weapon, bringing the audience in and asking them to go along with all the crazy shit that's about to go down. It asks you to question reality, and was *super* serious about the gravity of its concepts, and so preoccupied with presenting those concepts, that it basically steam rolled over little things like characterization, warmth, humor, emotional resonance.

Not that Nolan doesn't try for emotional resonance. He clearly thinks the Dom/Mal stuff is the real heart, that diving deeper and deeper into the mark's mind is a dive within oneself(I know this because, like all Nolan movies, they explain this theme out loud). And DiCaprio/Cotillard are actually quite good; star turns that command the screen as they navigate complex ideas. But Nolan's humans always seem more like "ideas" of people then believable flesh and blood ones.

And despite what some say, I'm not convinced it has all that much to say about the conscious and subconscious, about how fact shapes fiction and vice versa. This is not Mulholland Dr, and this is not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

What it is, to get to the positive part of this review, is an exceptionally compelling popcorn movie. It's intellectually stimulating on top of being viscerally satisfying. The filmmaking across the board is excellent, from Wally Pfister's Oscar-winning cinematography, Lee Smith's editing of several different dream layers coherently, Hans Zimmer's score that orchestrates and links everything together like symphony movements, and the phenomenal effects work. The last bit is crucial; some have taken Inception to bat for not being, IDK, The Cell or Enter the Void with psychedelic/hallucinogenic imagery. But the worlds have to seem tangible and real, not just for the heist team to do their job, but for the audience to be invested. The stunt work and practicality of all its spectacle is very key to getting under the movie's spell for nearly 150 mins.

Its often said heist movies are metaphors for filmmaking. Gather a crew of talented professionals, devise a plan, go about the job and improvise when things go wrong, and hopefully end up with a worthy prize at the end. I'd argue Inception goes one layer deeper(pun not intended) just by the sheer bravado of its concept. When we sit down to watch a movie, we put our suspension of disbelief on and view the director's dream. We want to be fooled, to quote another Nolan's film. Inception isn't just a heist film; its sci-fi, its James Bond adventure, its film noir, even domestic drama. Its a celebration of what movies can do: to capture our imagination and show us things that can't be done on the page or theater or even television. More than anything else, Inception is a spectacular showcase for the myriad of ways films can create dreams, and how top-shelf cinema can transport us into another reality.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a neat idea.
It's also bloated, full of plausibility fails, and packed with Nolan's trademark 'endless bone-dry exposition with a boarding school accent.'
Funny to think a flick like Edge of Tomorrow ended up the better scifi actioner.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
might watch it again soon. only watched it once when it came out lol but i enjoyed it. i just rarely ever rewatch movies. i guess it's been long enough now...

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With time its really moved up the ranks of Nolan's filmography for me. I think its one of his Top 3. Rewatched it a month or so ago and really enjoyed it. My opinion of it has improved steadily over time.

I think its his last great movie.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Zimmer absolutely killed it in this movie. There are a surprising amount of ambient tracks in the movie without the heavy Zimmer percussions .

And ofcourse there's the main one

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
Still quite enjoy this movie! Memento is my favourite of Nolan's films that I've seen, but this is a fun one.

Still a bit frustrated how every time it gets brought up between friends it's in some variation of "it's too complicated!" I went to the cinema and saw it with a friend, and he was talking through some bits saying he doesn't get it, and talked a lot after saying it was complicated — he sounded fixated on that being a criticism from some internet critic he liked watching, but I don't remember who. My roommate refuses to see this film because he doesn't like complicated movies, and my partner was a little worried about the same thing until I made them see it with me to prove a point.

It really is just a fun heist movie, lmao. It's complexity seems like a weirdly popular thing to complain about. A real bizarre hill to die on.

OP
OP
vatstep

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
2010 was a banner year for "Leonardo DiCaprio is haunted by his dead wife" movies

Oct 28, 2017
Feel the same. It's a trip.

I missed it in theaters though. Movie bugged me out with the deeper dream states and the concept of getting trapped in raw subconscious.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it in theaters and it blew my mind-fantastic experience. I think it's my second favorite Nolan movie after Memento.