• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo fans feeling really uneasy right now....
I have no interest in buying Bayo 2&3 on anything but Switch but I hope they get released multiplat so more can enjoy them.

Sadly, we're looking at something that won't happen. Until we see Nintendo allowing games they care about get released on other hardware we don't have any precedent to believe it's possible.

Even if you want to look at W101 we also have the fact Nintendo and Platinum co-own W101 while Bayonetta is purely SEGA with Nintendo just having publishing rights for two of the games.

lol this guy

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
I'm not privy to the details of the deal Nintendo have with 2 & 3, but because they funded those games I'm assuming it's not a limited exclusivity rights type of thing.

So maybe we'll see port's... in 5-10 years time, and if Nintendo decide to stop investing more in Bayonetta.
Bayo 3 will do well, maybe very well, so it could be a very long time before it'll become a stale IP for Nintendo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm really glad that Nintendo and Sega were even able to help there be a Bayonetta series in the first place but I'd love to see them obtain the IP and the rights to the first two/three games. Bayo everywhere would be great. I'd love if this ever actually happened (doubt Nintendo or Sega would very easily just give it up/sell back the rights though)

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to block me too then since it's better to talk with people that want an actual conversation rather than having their beliefs reinforced...

"I'd rather not listen to people who disagree with me."

This place is full of crazy.

"You clearly didn't read"

Me: I only said that anything can happen at this point considering W101.

"NO, YOU CLEARLY DIDN'T READ"

Yeah, you bet i'm blocking that. If that's an actual conversation then yeah... pass.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Yeah, you bet i'm blocking that. If that's an actual conversation then yeah... pass.
Platinum producer mentions its up to more money to make it happen. If the money is there it'll happen.
It's funny you blocked over that, but whatever. It just seemed so silly I thought it was a topical joke.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No they pointed out that you blatantly got what was said in the interview wrong.

You then proceeded to do this.
giphy.gif

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Yeah, I bet a lot of developers wish they could self-publish their previous hits and not give a share to a publisher that may own a portion of the game's IP, doesn't mean it is going to happen though.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a desire and not likely to ever happen. Nintendo is actively interested and invested in the series like they are of the Fatal Frame series. The only way Platinum could ever publish a Bayo game themselves is if Nintendo stops funding the series, and they won't stop. It's a Sega IP first and foremost and Sega will always be more than happy to give Nintendo the opportunity to pay for it every time before they look at Platinum as an option.

There's a big difference between something like Bayonetta and the Wonderful 101. The Wonderful 101 was a huge, huge, huge, huge flop worldwide (even saying huge 4 times feels like an understatement to how poorly the game sold) and has little value to Nintendo, while Bayo has value to Nintendo and is actively investing in it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a desire and not likely to ever happen. Nintendo is actively interested and invested in the series like they are of the Fatal Frame series. The only way Platinum could ever publish a Bayo game themselves is if Nintendo stops funding the series, and they won't stop. It's a Sega IP first and foremost and Sega will always be more than happy to give Nintendo the opportunity to pay for it every time before they look at Platinum as an option.

There's a big difference between something like Bayonetta and the Wonderful 101. The Wonderful 101 was a huge, huge, huge, huge flop worldwide (even saying huge 4 times feels like an understatement to how poorly the game sold) and has little value to Nintendo, while Bayo has value to Nintendo and is actively investing in it.

The funny thing is that Bayonetta really didn't even do that well for them, and it didn't do well on PS3/360 either. TW101 DEFINITELY did much worse, but Bayonetta really doesn't have THAT much potential as a brand.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is that Bayonetta really didn't even do that well for them, and it didn't do well on PS3/360 either. TW101 DEFINITELY did much worse, but Bayonetta really doesn't have THAT much potential as a brand.

It's definitely growing for sure, especially with the huge success that was Bayonetta 2, sales wise, goty awards and amongst the fans of the genre.

Oct 25, 2017
"Would you like to self publish bayonetta someday?"

Platinum, who has spent the last 4 years trying to have original content they truly own and have recently gotten permission to self publish W101 as the first step of their initiative: If we ignore the problem of IP rights and money then Yeah sure we'd like to.

[everyone else stops paying attention and walks away to tell everyone about this.]

Platinum, continuing as everyone else has left: Still real expensive though, and we'd still need Nintendo and Sega to sign off so I don't really see it. Nintendo doesn't take IP rights lightly and while we're grateful for 101, I dont think any of this has changed their mindset.

Not only Minecraft, but also Cuphead, a Microsoft-owned title, has also appeared on the Nintendo platform, and SIE has published `` Kaze no Tabi Bitto '' and `` Detroit: Become Human '' which were published as exclusive PlayStation titles at the time of release. "STRANDING" is also talked about on other platforms. Rumors have emerged that it will appear on PCs, even up to SIE's first party title, Horizon Zero Dawn . In that sense, "101" may be just one example of a phenomenon where the hard wall is being broken.

But Inaba doesn't seem to believe that the 101 case shows a shift in Nintendo's thinking about IP and platforms.

"I don't think Nintendo's corporate culture has changed. That's the 3,000-year history of Kyoto (laughs). Nintendo is a company that values software IP rights tremendously. Nintendo's employees often say that it's about shaping the future of Nintendo, so it's a company that doesn't lightly use its IP rights anywhere and does things very carefully. I don't think it's changed, so it's honest that we think this is so strange that we still don't have the realism. "

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Sales numbers are not everything especially for Nintendo unless it's a mega bomba. And if sales numbers were the be-all and end-all Nintendo wouldn't have greenlit Bayonetta 3 or a TMS port. While Bayonetta 2 didn't sell too hot, Bayonetta is still an important brand for Nintendo and even to a lot of people here considering all the "passionate" discussions in the several Platinum threads we are seeing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think people realise how quickly the revenue scales up though. According Zhuge W101 grossed $5m in the US(which means probably ~10m WW), which is still higher than what they've generated from kickstarter but low for a company like Nintendo. On the other end of the spectrum Astral Chain has probably grossed over $50m worldwide, taking into account the NSO voucher offer and the fact it has sold 1m copies. Bayonetta 2 will be somewhere in the middle but have the added complication of it being owned by Sega and Nintendo.

As Inaba says in the interview they would need a lot more money.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think people realise how quickly the revenue scales up though. According Zhuge W101 grossed $5m in the US(which means probably ~10m WW), which is still higher than what they've generated from kickstarter but low for a company like Nintendo. On the other end of the spectrum Astral Chain has probably grossed over $50m worldwide, taking into account the NSO voucher offer and the fact it has sold 1m copies. Bayonetta 2 will be somewhere in the middle but have the added complication of it being owned by Sega and Nintendo.

As Inaba says in the interview they would need a lot more money.
Yeah but that's revenue which is hardly impressive considering the majority of that is retail. Taking into account low print runs, manufacturing, shipping, retailer cuts all of which the costs scale up or down based on economies of scale all. Wonderful 101 likely cost Nintendo a non negligible amount of money relative to project size. Companies care about the profit which is why the scale up is so important lower costs due to economies of scale and once your pass the break even point it's pure profit.

You can make money from these sorts of games if your purely digital which is what indies do but Nintendo doesn't deal with that, they deal with worldwide retail releases generally these days.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's revenue which is hardly impressive considering the majority of that is retail. Taking into account low print runs, manufacturing shipping, retailer cuts all of which the costs scale up or based on economies of scale all. Wonderful 101 likely cost Nintendo a non negligible amount of money.

You can make money from these sorts of games if your purely digital which is what indies do but Nintendo doesn't deal with that, they deal with worldwide retail releases generally these days.

Sure but it's important to keep in mind Platinum will be budgeting for a lot that too. First with all the Kickstarter physical rewards, including copies of the games, and when they want to self publish physical copies.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Sure but it's important to keep in mind Platinum will be budgeting for a lot that too. First with all the Kickstarter physical rewards, including copies of the games, and when they want to self publish physical copies.
It's not the same at all. They know exactly how physical copies they'll be shipping because the consumer has already bought and paid for it (and taken on board all the associated risk that goes on with it). Same with everything else regarding that. They're not manufacturing and shipping a quantity of projects based on predictions and having to eat the costs if those predictions are wrong their not facing any sort of risk either. At best any extra shipping they'll be doing are limited print runs.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the same at all. They know exactly how physical copies they'll be shipping because the consumer has already bought and paid for it (and taken on board all the associated risk that goes on with it). Same with everything else regarding that. They're not manufacturing and shipping a quantity of projects based on predictions and having to eat the costs if those predictions are wrong their not facing any sort of risk either. At best any extra shipping they'll be doing are limited print runs.

My point is more that Platinum isn't taking home 100% of that Kickstarter money either(well they are but you know what I mean), and as the original version was a first party production there's the 30% licensing fee taking a bigger cut. It's swings and roundabouts.

Nintendo probably did lose money on W101 but that will be more down to them having to pay for the development of the game in the first place. You're not going to be able to fund a Wonderful 101 level production on the amount they've got from Kickstarter(and indie publishers aren't making them either).

Anyway the original point was more to illustrate why Platinum would have difficulties getting Bayonetta or Astral Chain in comparison to The Wonderful 101; the amount of money they made/make dwarf what either the original release of W101 made or what the Kickstarter is making. Porting Bayonetta 2(and 1) to Switch probably will have made a lot more money than W101: Remastered will.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
i can understand bayo 2 or 3 never going multiplat

but im down with bayo 4 maybe going multiplat

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I have no interest in buying Bayo 2&3 on anything but Switch but I hope they get released multiplat so more can enjoy them.

Sadly, we're looking at something that won't happen. Until we see Nintendo allowing games they care about get released on other hardware we don't have any precedent to believe it's possible.

Even if you want to look at W101 we also have the fact Nintendo and Platinum co-own W101 while Bayonetta is purely SEGA with Nintendo just having publishing rights for two of the games.

lol this guy
According to the quote in the article it says Nintendo owns half the Bayo IP. I believe it's the first time we've seen that but if true it would give them control over where Bayo releases.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The bigger this thread grows, the more it reminds me of Death Stranding.

People being so sure that it can NEVER happen. The same tired argument "Sure, it can happen if they say yes. Just like Uncharted or God of War".

It is true indeed, that Nintendo has a say in Bayo 2 and 3 releasing elsewhere. It is true that for it to happen, Platinum Games would have to convince Nintendo (and SEGA but it's a done deal with them).
But the wrong idea is that there's nothing to make Nintendo shift their stance on that position. Nintendo has no stakes on the IP. They dont own Bayonetta. SEGA does. What Nintendo owns though is half of Bayo 2 and maybe half of 3. That's where Nintendo is relevant in those discussions.

The question is "Why Nintendo would accept ?"
The answer is "Why, in 3 years or 4, would they refuse and hold onto 2 games they dont even own the IP and only publishing duties ?"

After all, it's not like Nintendo just accepted a situation where they owned at least half of the IP (TW101, because it's not only a game they own, it's an IP). And yes, I know, TW101 bombed. It's still their IP. In the case of Bayo 2, it didn't set charts on fire either. Why would they hold on that ?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bigger this thread grows, the more it reminds me of Death Stranding.

People being so sure that it can NEVER happen. The same tired argument "Sure, it can happen if they say yes. Just like Uncharted or God of War".

It is true indeed, that Nintendo has a say in Bayo 2 and 3 releasing elsewhere. It is true that for it to happen, Platinum Games would have to convince Nintendo (and SEGA but it's a done deal with them).
But the wrong idea is that there's nothing to make Nintendo shift their stance on that position. Nintendo has no stakes on the IP. They dont own Bayonetta. SEGA does. What Nintendo owns though is half of Bayo 2 and maybe half of 3. That's where Nintendo is relevant in those discussions.

The question is "Why Nintendo would accept ?"
The answer is "Why, in 3 years or 4, would they refuse and hold onto 2 games they dont even own the IP and only publishing duties ?"

After all, it's not like Nintendo just accepted a situation where they owned at least half of the IP (TW101, because it's not only a game they own, it's an IP). And yes, I know, TW101 bombed. It's still their IP. In the case of Bayo 2, it didn't set charts on fire either. Why would they hold on that ?
People have explained the how's and why's to you multiple times you just ignore them.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, resetera the place where port begging for Halo games on Switch is fine and all but even mentioning Bayonetta multiplatform will get you dogpiled.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
"bayonetta is important to Nintendo"

Not only it's far from truth, since as I said, they dont own that IP, but it's not translated in sales numbers.

I didnt ignore them, I adressed them.
the fact that they decided to fund a third game after the second one failed to do meaningful numbers suggests that it is, in fact, important to them

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not only it's far from truth, since as I said, they dont own that IP, but it's not translated in sales numbers.

You really didn't as you are again ignoring what people are actually saying. You've not disproven, anything Sony has said Persona is an important IP to them and they don't own that.

So yeah you're ignoring people because you're obsessed with the idea of a Bayonetta 2 port for some reason.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Yet Bayo 2 is a 5 year old WiiU game released during once of the worst periods for Nintendo - is not on other system.
But you think that B3 is happening when Nintendo has the best selling system out and is in a very healthy situation right now ?

Thinking that they dont consider the Bayonetta IP important for them when they funded the second and third game, while adding her to the Smash Bros. roster seems...funny.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yet Bayo 2 is a 5 year old WiiU game released during once of the worst periods for Nintendo - is not on other system.
But you think that B3 is happening when Nintendo has the best selling system out and is in a very healthy situation right now ?

Thinking that they dont consider the Bayonetta IP important for them when they funded the second and third game, while adding her to the Smash Bros. roster seems...funny.

To be fair, she was only added to Smash because people voted her in. She wasn't Nintendo's choice. That and Bayo didn't sell much better on the Switch compared to the Wii U.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, she was only added to Smash because people voted her in. She wasn't Nintendo's choice. That and Bayo didn't sell much better on the Switch compared to the Wii U.
Everything Smash related is Nintendos choice - its their IP. It doesnt matter who brings up the idea or pushes for it - at the end they have to cosign and pay for it. Bayo could have had 7 billion gamers that wanted her in Smash - it would still be Nintendos choice to go ahead with it or find a better fitting character.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe you didnt notice but Platinum Games' self publishing venture started very early. Hence why.

As for the Smash Bros inclusion... If Smash Bros was an indication of relevance, we'd have a shitload of F-Zero and Mother games by now.
When did the last F-Zero entry released ?
When did the last Mother game released ?

That's the thing here, your timeframe is irrelevant because the interested partner here just recently made their moves.

You really didn't as you are again ignoring what people are actually saying. You've not disproven, anything Sony has said Persona is an important IP to them and they don't own that.

So yeah you're ignoring people because you're obsessed with the idea of a Bayonetta 2 port for some reason.

I dont need to disprove anything: Nintendo did it for me. They've disproven the idea that they're stuck on a "No" position regarding IPs they own to some regard.

Considering TW101 is an IP they own as opposed to Bayonetta, which they dont own a single stake in the IP and only own half of two entries, yeah, you're right, come to think of it TW101 was a tougher sell as a whole.

the fact that they decided to fund a third game after the second one failed to do meaningful numbers suggests that it is, in fact, important to them

Important at one moment. Not in the long run. I mean after all, they also entirely funded The Wonderful 101. It's not because at one instant, Nintendo fund a title that the IP is forever relevant to them. Which is the point in my distinction: Nintendo doesn't own an IP with Bayonetta. They own half of two games, half of two entries that will be stuck in time. There's nothing going forward with that, unless they plan to make ports over and over.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The obvious reason to keep hold of Bayo 2 & 3 in 3 or 4 years is so they can repackage them in the run up to a Nintendo funded Bayonetta 4.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

You think Sakurai was lying?

Everything Smash related is Nintendos choice - its their IP. It doesnt matter who brings up the idea or pushes for it - at the end they have to cosign and pay for it. Bayo could have had 7 billion gamers that wanted her in Smash - it would still be Nintendos choice to go ahead with it or find a better fitting character.

They held a poll and Sakurai outright said she was the #1 most realistic character. The rest above her were Vets or characters who were already asked about and were turned down. So yes, she was more the 'people's choice' then a character that Nintendo chose, otherwise you wouldn't need a poll to get her in.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you didnt notice but Platinum Games' self publishing venture started very early. Hence why.

As for the Smash Bros inclusion... If Smash Bros was an indication of relevance, we'd have a shitload of F-Zero and Mother games by now.

That's the thing here, your timeframe is irrelevant because the interested partner here just recently made their moves.
I will just say this - since its clear that you want Bayo on other systems, which is fine.
But acting like Nintendo doesnt care about the IP is just being dishonest to push your own narrative. B2 wouldnt have been on WiiU, B1+2 not on Switch and B3 not developed for Switch if this was the case.

Not gonna even bother with your Mother or F-Zero argumentation ...come on lol.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I dont need to disprove anything: Nintendo did it for me. They've disproven the idea that they're stuck on a "No" position regarding IPs they own to some regard.

Considering TW101 is an IP they own as opposed to Bayonetta, which they dont own a single stake in the IP and only own half of two entries, yeah, you're right, come to think of it TW101 was a tougher sell as a whole.
You're either hopeless or being disingenuous. Either way I'm done arguing with a wall. Good luck waiting on your Bayonetta port that's probably not coming.