• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This generation has been a rather... slow one depending on which racing games you like. While on the more realistic side of racers there's been a lot of stuff even on console, many of the big names of arcade racing haven't showed up at all this generation leaving a drought throughout the entire gen that only recently started getting filled. Still, despite this lack of arcade racers, I think this generation still had many of the best games in the genre. Here's my top 3:

crash-team-racing-nitro-fueled-normal-hero-background-02-ps4-us-13dec18

3) Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled

The original Crash Team Racing was already, in my opinion, the greatest kart racer of all time thank to its depth that allowed casual players to still enjoy the story and the races while also allowing the enthusiasts to take the mechanics to their limit. So when a remake was announced, and it turned out to not only have the CNK + CTR content but entirely original tracks as well, my hype was through the roof and thankfully the game managed to surpass even the absurdly high expectations I had for it. Not once in the reveal would I have thought that the game would end up having... every single playable character in a Crash Racing game!? Even something like the Crash 1 characters seemed like a stretch, but boy was I ever glad to be wrong.

Forza-Horizon-4-Gamescom-Preview-04-Racing-Through-Edinburgh-2060x1159.jpg

2) Forza Horizon 4

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of Open World racing games; I'm of the opinion that a well-made track will always be better than a well-made open world, but Forza Horizon 4 comes very damn close to breaking that rule. Maybe not neccesarily by offering the most interesting layouts for races, but by how dynamic this game is and the sheer variety of activities available for you to do, it almost feels like they bundled a lot of racing games into one incredibly fun and equally good-looking package. It really is no surpsise this game is one of the highest-rated racing games of all time.

gran-turismo-sport-screen-03-ps4-us-19may16

1) Gran Turismo Sport

Not once would I've ever thought I'd be putting a Gran Turismo game at the top of a racing games list, and not especially in one that has a game as good as Forza Horizon 4 on it. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I hated the series or anything (in fact, the first Gran Turismo is one of the first racing games I played and I liked it well enough), but before this game I just wasn't into the more realistic side of racing games. Avoiding collisions? Respecting track limits? Actually caring about respecting the space of the other racers? That sounded boring, and honestly if you're racing against AI it kinda is.

That's the magic of Gran Turismo Sport, though, online racing. While in most racing games on console racing online is just complete garbage, Gran Turismo coming in and showing everyone how to do it was so refreshing. Sure, the focus on online made for weaker singleplayer offerings (especially at launch), but in exchange racing online in GTS is just superb as soon as you go up in the Sportmanship ladder, it makes races feel much more intense than the "oh well I can abuse the AI this way and that way" that happens when racing against AI. There's simply nothing better than applying pressure to the racer in front of you throughout the whole race and then finally seeing them make a mistake on the final lap, and thankfully the great matchmaking makes the situations of everyone in a race being much better than you very rare, for the most part you'll all be on the same skill level.

After experiencing that, playing against an AI feels... hollow. It's kinda like how in figthing games fighting against the AI is rarely ever interesting because you can just spam hadokens and stunlock the enemy, races in which you know there isn't a human behind the wheel are now this backwards, primitive thing that can't compare at all with the real thing.

So, Era, what are your racing games of the generation?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon 4 and it's not even close.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this is a great thread. For me, it is a tie between Gran Turismo Sport and Forza Horizon 4. They are both such fantastic experiences, and I couldn't pick a fav between them, despite them being so different. They bother offer so much, and I've had so much fun with both of 'em.

I still have not picked up Crash Team Racing, and I really should. I love kart racers and had a lot of fun with the original. I'm also installing Dirt Rally 2.0 at the moment, and I did used to love the Colin McRae series, but it has been a very, very long time since i've played one. Excited to check this one out.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
For me it would have to be a blend between Project CARS carreer mode (the 2 threw that away) with GTSport production level.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Haven't played Crash Team Racing or GT Sport.

Forza Horizon 4 is just easily my favourite racing game of the gen and maybe even of all time if i didn't feel so nostalgic for the Burnout series.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Horizon 3 or 4. I prefer the loot system and DLC in 3, but I think I prefer the setting, weather, and events in 4.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
iRacing - service game, so hopefully it counts for this generation!

Nothing comes close to it for realism and the intensity of sim racing, especially when in VR. Also, nothing comes close to the cost!

Their major new features last year alone are significant (AI, new damage model, tire models that reflect the temperature of the surface, material types, cloud cover, usage, heat, etc etc).

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
1) Forza Horizon 3/4
2) GT Sport
3) Dirt Rally 2.0
4) need for speed heat
5) the crew 1

GT sport is crazy underrated imo, I think its easily second best in the series (only behind gt4)

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 is the best racing game I've ever played. Full Stop.

For the first half of 2019 I played Horizon 4 almost every morning before work for a half-hour to an hour. It's just such a joy of a video game, and I never ran out of things to do and wonderful things to find.

Oct 25, 2017
OP has very good arguments. GTS is the only online racing game I like to play online, the experience is just so nice. Sadly the launch was a bit rough around the edges but it has evolved to a really great racing game. I think my top 3 would be:

1. Gran Turismo Sport
2. F1 2017
3. Forza Horizon 3

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty much only a fan of arcade racers and not realistic racers or games like Foza Horizon much either, so it was pretty slim pickings for me this generation.

I guess if I had to pick one it would be Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Switch.
I didnt actually like MK8 on the Wii U that much, but Deluxe adding the ability to hold an extra item, and the 3rd purple boost they added really helped flesh out the gameplay more and I loved it.

The only non-kart racer I played this gen I think was The Crew, which had elements I liked, but wasn't a great game.
For one thing it was one of the ugliest racing games of the generation, it had a huge world, but it looked like a last gen game, or at most a cross gen game.
And worst of all sadly is that actual feel of the driving never felt good. It always felt sluggish and unresponsive.i got used to it and beat the game, but it was definitely one of the worst playing racers I've stuck with.

Finger crossed that next gen can provide us with more great Arcade racers. EA really needs to kill off NFS for a while and bring back Burnout.
And do a new SSX for crying out loud (snowboarding, but you still do races).
And Nintendo, do a damn F-Zero again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
iRacing - service game, so hopefully it counts for this generation!

Nothing comes close to it for realism and the intensity of sim racing, especially when in VR. Also, nothing comes close to the cost!

Their major new features last year alone are significant (AI, new damage model, tire models that reflect the temperature of the surface, material types, cloud cover, usage, heat, etc etc).

Been wanting to try it but I don't have a wheel :S. But yeah, it counts as it evolved throughout the entire gen and grew quite a bit.

Horizon 4 wasn't even the best in the series.
I haven't played any of the other ones. MS should really put 3 and 4 on Steam or at least 3 on GP.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I like Forza Horizon 4 but its loot box crap and too much content with more available as paid DLCs is just way too much for me. I played it on Xbox Game Pass for PC and at some point just gave up because I felt that it was endless and there wasn't any sensible progression. The voices are also way too chipper.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as people have said before, but I hate that Forza Motorsport is getting no love. They made some missteps this generation, but Forza 7 is a fantastic game.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Forza Motorsports 7 for singleplayer and GTS for online, assetto corsa for VR. I wish I have a racing wheel that works on PS4 though.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Forza Horizon 3, so much fun!
  2. Sonic Team racing, great co op and fun courses
  3. Driveclub: beautiful and fun

Feb 8, 2018
In total, I played 5 different ones if you count Demos/Betas. Hard to answer your question that way.

Wreckfest and Wipeout (last gen remaster) have been good and long enough to not think of another RG. I thought GT Sport had a decent beta but I never went back. I'll wait and see what they do with GT 7.

Last edited:

PcPlasticFuzz

Nov 4, 2017
I actually think Forza 6 was superb!

My most fun of the generation and jaw dropping visually would be Driveclub. Spent most hours on GT Sport though which is criminally underrated.

Panou

Oct 27, 2017
DriveClub is the most underrated racing game of the generation. Very very good!

I also love(d) the CTR remake of course, and Wreckfest.