• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
It's on my tentative shortlist for GotY so far (early days, obviously) along with Sekiro and Resident Evil 2 Remake.

The Persona style roaming around was just the thing they needed to balance out the TRPG gameplay. It's been amazing so far.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it will be for most of the goty lists made by the big sites, but it will be on mine.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fantastic game to me! Unfortunately this year has been incredibly strong and I suspect it's not going to be my GotY, but I do think it'll make my top 10 (maybe top five tbh)

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It is really difficult to make that case unless you've only seen/played a few dozen games in the last five years. Yeah, there's jaggies, and textures can be bad, but there's also a lot of phenomenal character portraits and bright colorful character models.

It's just super inconsistent. Character models and animations in combat look pretty good, but obviously the textures & backgrounds can be *extremely* bad. Overall it's difficult to say the game looks "good", but it does look "good enough." That said when considering GOTY you can't ignore graphics & performance issues like framerate dips etc

Oct 25, 2017
It's just super inconsistent. Character models and animations in combat look pretty good, but obviously the textures & backgrounds can be *extremely* bad. Overall it's difficult to say the game looks "good", but it does look "good enough." That said when considering GOTY you can't ignore graphics & performance issues like framerate dips etc

I agree. I just want to give credit where it is due to the fantastic character portraits. Them are some A+ portraits, and in absolutely huge numbers. Very few recent RPGs have gone that deep and wide in quality portraits.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
My personal GOTY is Path of Exile: Legion but that's a bit of a cheat since it's not a new game but an expansion. So new game GOTY is Fire Emblem for me. Feels so good to be playing a Fire Emblem game that respects world building again. It does have some issues and lack of polish here and there but there is too much to like, especially with how much it draws from Tellius FE which are my favorites. I enjoyed DMC5 and Sekiro, but I'd put FETH above personally.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Short of something catastrophic happening, Death Stranding will be GOTY.

And then some wonder why so many people are sick of Kojima fans.

"If it's the best it can be" is true of any game. If Astral Chain or Doom Eternal or Links Awakening it literally any game is as good as it can be it would be GotY too.

Kojima isn't infallible. Look at MGS2 and 4 for proof. And though the gameplay was solid in 5 the story was lol worthy. As is the writing in most of his games. He peaked with MGS3. That was 15 years ago.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
It's great but I don't think so. Unsure if the strategy is better than Into the Breach. Unsure if the characters better than x-com or mutant zero. The permadeath isfixed by closing software. It's fun as shit though.

It ain't no Into the Breach (near perfect for its vision). But it was a great journey for 50 hours.

As a biased turn-based strategy fanboy, I'd go with this as GOTY so far for me, even with its flaws.
You know what's up.

Oct 26, 2017
It may not win more than a small handful of GotY awards due to the nature of the game but, at the moment, it is my GotY. I've been plenty addicted to the game since it came out, because of it's characters, story, and music. My main issues, honestly, stem from the lack of polish and even performance, which is surprising, considering that it's a 1st party Nintendo game. Granted, my GotY could change as I still need to get around to playing RE2R and maybe Luigi's Mansion 3 or Death Stranding may surprise me. There's also the final DLC for Shovel Knight, which was my 2014 GotY, so that could perhaps be a surprise contender too

Oct 25, 2017
It's great but I don't think so. Unsure if the strategy is better than Into the Breach. Unsure if the characters better than x-com or mutant zero. The permadeath isfixed by closing software. It's fun as shit though.

You know what's up.

1) Into the Breach landed on multiple GOTY lists, including in the top lists.

2) Arguably, Into the Breach is closer to a puzzle game than a Strategy game or an SRPG/TRPG.

Even if it ain't Into the Breach, it can still end up on a ton of list.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
1) Into the Breach landed on multiple GOTY lists, including in the top lists.

2) Arguably, Into the Breach is closer to a puzzle game than a Strategy game or an SRPG/TRPG.

Even if it ain't Into the Breach, it can still end up on a ton of list.
For sure to the bolded. But I think you're going to deal with people that like certain elements of FE but not others. Like, I like the strategy part, but don't like the social parts. I like the full voice-over, but don't like the character details, etc. That 50% I liked it will be detrimental.

This is a game that does a ton well while I wouldn't discount anything someone else doesn't like.

Nov 4, 2017
Says a lot about marketing and hype.
It's a game made by one of the best/most well known game directors, published by the company which has published more GOTY games than any other publisher, and has an unprecedentedly star-studded cast for a video game. While of course it's too early to call it GOTY, I think it's fair to expect Death Stranding to be a strong GOTY contender.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This year is so good for SRPG fans.

Wargroove, Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark, Druidstone and Fire Emblem.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yup, and it's my personal GOTY. It's so good. Hope it wins a bunch of best SRPG/RPG awards. Also deserves recognition for music and voice acting.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Between Three Houses and Breath of the Wild (Just started it this year) it's been a very long time since a game has completely absorbed me.

I would start up my Switch and play for a couple of hours. Leave for a while, and then come back and play another few hours and so forth. I haven't played a game like that since the BioShock collection, and before that Smash Brothers for Wii U. It's definitely in my top games of all time honestly.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Consensus overall GOTY? Hell no. Mario Galaxy of all games didn't even win in 2007.

Consensus Switch GOTY, however? Probably. Barring a curveball, I'd say that it will probably go down to being between either this or Astral Chain (if Astral Chain ends up living up to the hype).

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but it's no outer wilds. That game had an emotional impact on me few games managed.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's my goty so far. But I know it will not win VGA or something like that.

Sekiro, RE2 and Death Stranding will be the contenders this year I feel like.

(Sekiro is my Top 2 this year, RE2 I did not play it, I do not like the genre so..... and Death Stranding is a wait and see.)
Don't forget Smash and Half Life VR. Those will likely be contenders as well. Maybe even Borderlands 3.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a year that has Sekiro and RE2? Nope.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know where it'll land come decision time at end of year. All I do know is it's getting some amazing reviews from friends.

One guy who previously gave no indication that he'd like a game like this just told me today "before this, RE2 was my GotY no contest. Now tho? Not sure." Another is maybe a bit overzealous in already claiming it might be his favorite game ever. As for me. I'm only 25 hours in and I've got plenty more to go, but it's certainly exceeded my expectations.

I doubt it'll get a ton of GotY awards, but I wouldn't rule out at least a few outlets giving it their pick.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been what, 2 weeks? FE has had me hooked like no other game this year, I think it is GOTY material.

I think RE2 and Sekiro are more certifiable contenders though.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say yes. It's probably my favorite game of the year so far anyway.

Consensus overall GOTY? Hell no. Mario Galaxy of all games didn't even win in 2007.

Consensus Switch GOTY, however? Probably. Barring a curveball, I'd say that it will probably go down to being between either this or Astral Chain (if Astral Chain ends up living up to the hype).
Nah, I think Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Shield/Sword and Mario Maker 2 all have at least as good of a chance as Fire Emblem and Astral Chain.

Which is probably a "problem" if one wants Switch games high on general GOTY lists, because the Nintendo fans' votes will be spread out quite evenly.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Probably by virtue of it being a Fire Emblem (top 3 series for me) game and there not being much else coming this year that looks super appealing to me. Both Awakening and Fates were GotY for their respective years and Shadows of Valentia was pretty close. That being said, several hours in (so not very far, I got back into BotW again when the game came out) so far it's a pretty weak FE game for me. I'm not feeling the school setting at ALL, not because of the anime nonsense but because the Monastery shit is super unengaging, all of the little activities feel like busy work. The RPG mechanics also don't hook me as much as any of the 3DS games. That being said I'm still feeling that Fire Emblem bug with this game where units survive by the skin of their teeth and I feel like a badass controlling an army, and no other game fulfills that.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Not just GOTY, it's now my equal GOAT (90 hours over 10 days, it's that good). The only other game challenging it for me personally would be DQXIS, but I'm not sure even that can beat 3H for me.

As far as the pointless 'awards' go, it might have a chance at nomination, but they're all moneyhatted and I can't see 3H winning that race.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
It's a game made by one of the best/most well known game directors, published by the company which has published more GOTY games than any other publisher, and has an unprecedentedly star-studded cast for a video game. While of course it's too early to call it GOTY, I think it's fair to expect Death Stranding to be a strong GOTY contender.

OK but why not letting FE being a contenter ?judging by some People on this topic, Fire Emblem isn t even allowed to have a place in the 5 games Goty nominees.

You know that in jeuxvideo.com, some Sony fans demande GOTY KIDS category to put every Nintendo games on here ? Some still wants the Uncharted 4 story DLC to be GOTY 2017 instead of BOTW.

This is completely insane. At least i want Kojima on stage on the VGA saying that even if he win, the 4 others games are awesome and deserve GOTY.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think it'll be on Game of the Year lists on a number of websites, sure - but I'm not sure how many awards it'll be. With Super Mario Maker 2 already out and games like Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 shaping up well, there'll be a few Nintendo-published titles in consideration.

Really, as with the last few years (bar Breath of the Wild dominating in 2017), I'd expect a handful of games to share honours across the web and games industry.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'd say yes. It's probably my favorite game of the year so far anyway.

Nah, I think Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokemon Shield/Sword and Mario Maker 2 all have at least as good of a chance as Fire Emblem and Astral Chain.

Which is probably a "problem" if one wants Switch games high on general GOTY lists, because the Nintendo fans' votes will be spread out quite evenly.
In all due honesty, I doubt Link's Awakening would get Switch GOTY by virtue of it being a remake (of arguably one of the weaker Zelda games), and Pokemon Sword and Shield looks to be underwhelming, to say the least (Let's just say that I'd be extremely surprised if it got an 88 on Metacritic).
Mario Maker 2 could win Switch GOTY, although it would be extremely unusual for a multiplayer game to win GOTY awards (the only instance I can remember for Nintendo's consoles would be Smash Ultimate, and that was arguably Nintendo's only good game released in 2018).
I'll give you Luigi's Mansion 3 to an extent, although Luigi's Mansion doesn't review that well in the grand scheme of things (IIRC, Dark Moon has an 85 on Metacritic?).

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
In all due honesty, I doubt Link's Awakening would get Switch GOTY by virtue of it being a remake (of arguably one of the weaker Zelda games), and Pokemon Sword and Shield looks to be underwhelming, to say the least (Let's just say that I'd be extremely surprised if it got an 88 on Metacritic).
Mario Maker 2 could win Switch GOTY, although it would be extremely unusual for a multiplayer game to win GOTY awards (the only instance I can remember for Nintendo's consoles would be Smash Ultimate, and that was arguably Nintendo's only good game released in 2018).
I'll give you Luigi's Mansion 3 to an extent, although Luigi's Mansion doesn't review that well in the grand scheme of things (IIRC, Dark Moon has an 85 on Metacritic?).
I feel like you're wrong on every point here. :D Link's Awakening is regarded as one of the very best Zeldas, and Mario Maker 2 is very much a single player game, because the multiplayer aspects are half-baked and best not talked about. All mainline Pokemon games get at least a solid amount of GOTY votes, and so will this one.

Watch Luigi's Mansion 3 become the highest rated game in the series.