• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This can go both ways. The best hardware mod you have seen that is impressive and you are positive about it. Or, the best hardware mod you have seen that left you quite a strained impression it is the worst hardware mod that "it's so bad, it's really good."

This can be applied to handheld devices (Sega Game Gear with a huge AC to DC power converter modded into the back), or a TV console (fanless modification to a PS4 with a huge heatsink tower jutting out from the top).

Throw me some bones. Thanks.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Does the Game Genie count as a hardware mod or just a peripheral? Because while obsolete now, that thing was mind-blowing to me at the time.

Aug 10, 2019
It never came out, but I was really excited by the N64 DD and the release of Earthbound 64.

1280px-64DD-Attached.jpg

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kreejloc's custom Dreamcast dev station comes to mind.

www.resetera.com

My homemade Sega Dreamcast SDK is straight out of 1999

With the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast right around the corner, I'd like to show off a little of my pride and joy here, my KOS SDK: For those who weren't around back around the turn of the millenium, this was when the iMac aesthetic had really taken hold, crystal-colored cases were...

I really miss his threads.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
ODEs (optical disc emulators) will save so many optical drive consoles with dying lasers from ending up in a landfill.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the one. The GBA has a perfect shape and feels comfortable even with my big hands. The buttons just feel right. Having a gorgeous modded screen is a amazing, and you can even install a USB-C charger. (Fortunately, I have rechargeable AAs out the wazoo.)

I'd personally want a modded Pocket, because it's the perfect size and shape in my eyes, and it's what I grew up playing. I had the Yellow one.

This thing is a beauty:

INmlZfX.jpg

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Kreejloc's custom Dreamcast dev station comes to mind.

www.resetera.com

My homemade Sega Dreamcast SDK is straight out of 1999

With the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast right around the corner, I'd like to show off a little of my pride and joy here, my KOS SDK: For those who weren't around back around the turn of the millenium, this was when the iMac aesthetic had really taken hold, crystal-colored cases were...

I really miss his threads.
Oh shit, they self requested a ban? No wonder I didn't see them around anymore. I really miss their threads too.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The PS1 lcd screen.

s-l640.jpg

Was so awesome when I was a kid. No more waiting to use the TV, I could just play anywhere whenever I wanted.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
putting elite analog sticks on my Switch Pro Controller. feels so much nicer than the standard rubber sticks and i like it increases the sensitivity

also gotta mention the Powera Halo component kit has an absolutely killer dpad attachment for the XBO that's absolutely killer for fighting games

sexbox2.jpg

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That one time my friend who had a Wavebird controller whooped my ass in Mario Party on GCN when it came to mini-games that required button mashing and we almost had a fight over it when I realized what he was doing, had no idea they existed before then lol

Great execution though, I'm not sure what that slot is for.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)