• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/suicide-squad-sequel-idris-elba-new-character-1203181518/

Though it was previously reported that Elba would be replacing Will Smith as Deadshot in the new pic, sources now tell Variety that all parties including director James Gunn have decided to move on from the Deadshot character, with Elba playing a new character in "The Suicide Squad."

Warner Bros. had no comment on the decision.

It is unknown what character Elba would now be playing, but after taking the last few weeks to discuss, everyone involved felt this was the right move. The team also did not want to feel as if it was disrespecting Smith, who helped bring this character to life for the first time, by replacing him with Elba. While many believe chances are still slim for a future return, the decision keeps the door open for Smith to possibly come back in future films, since his original reason for leaving had to do with scheduling and not creative differences.

Imokwiththis.jpg

Gimme Big Willy Deadshot in the 3rd one!

EDIT - D'oh, can a mod please fix the title, I spelled 'Squad' wrong :(

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Wise decision.

Elba doing smith lite would be potentially fatal

Plus the door is open for him. Everyone wins

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Big Willy wants a little insurance if Aladdin and Bad Boys 3 don't hit? Hopes he's back. I wonder if the Idris casting rumor was for contract negotiation purposes?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Smart move by Willy Smith stepping in and making he sure he still had his role.

Bronze Tiger is better

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol
This is another mess it sounds like. DC takes one step forward, two steps back

How the hell do you get this nonsense for this story? Or did you just feel like posting the usual hot take. Obviously Will Smith might still want to play Deadshot another time.

Jesus Christ this board sometimes.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Lol
How is it a mess? Gunn couldn't get Will Smith, so he decided to take the character out of the script rather recast. That's a smart move if anything, since it means Gunn can work with Smith and Elba in the next movie.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How the hell do you get this nonsense for this story? Or did you just feel like posting the usual hot take. Obviously Will Smith might still want to play Deadshot another time.

Jesus Christ this board sometimes.
So will called up and said don't let Elba play my character and DC said ok? After it was planned that he would play said character? Sounds a mess

Oct 25, 2017
Lol

Doesn't sound like that at all. Seems everyone is ok with it and it was probably a decision Gunn put forth.

I'm actually fine with it. Will Smith did good in the role and I'm fine with him coming back if he wants to. Elba can play Bronze Tiger.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Good call, with so many characters they could use, why not just have revolving members. That way if they ever decide to do a suicide squad vs the league animated movie style, they can and use everyone.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
So will called up and said don't let Elba play my character and DC said ok? After it was planned that he would play said character? Sounds a mess

This a win for everyone involved. Elba gets to make a character his own, Smith can potentially come back.

If this was decided once they started shooting you'd have a point. Conversations before films start is part of the process.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like i said in the other thread.

Yeah its gonna be Bronze Tiger for sure.
Sad to see Deadshot gone. But makes sense as it will be compared to Smith all the day.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Read the article.

Variety first reported in February that Smith would not be appearing in the next film and Warner Bros. and Gunn moved instantly to add Elba to the team after the director and actor sat down days after Smith's departure. The meeting went so well that Elba agreed on the spot to join the next installment, but even at that time it was not set in stone whether he'd be playing Deadshot or a brand new member of the team.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I still think it's not impossible that they work something out for Will to show up at least in a cameo.

Oct 25, 2017

OR. Will is friends with all these people. Casually said. "hey I had a really good time and enjoyed playing the character. I may want to do it again in the future. Can't right now because my schedule is booked but keep me in mind."

Gunn and Elba probably agreed and there is a stable of characters to pick from. The article states everyone is on board. You'd have a point if things were met with friction. And with everyone being professionals you don't pass up and opportunity to work with Will Smith. You don't burn that bridge.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hate being the guy defending Time Warner products, but what is the mess here? Do we need some diagrams now for "character is not in it"?
When it comes to DC movies, every thread is filled with people talking about what a mess everything is.
Just like I thought. Someone jumped the gun in reporting Elba as Deadshot.
Either that, or Will has expressed interest in coming back sooner or later.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the first movie, WB has no problem changing the race of at least a minor character so he could potentially be anybody. John Stewart seems too OP for SS though, but they did take down a super magic monster thing in the first one, so who knows.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Will Smith was good as Deadshot so I'm completely fine with this. It's going to be weird not having Deadshot be part of the team since he is a staple member in the comic but I guess they can use him in Suicide Squad 3.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah. This is definitely sounding more and more like it's not actually a reboot. Like the word reboot just keeps getting thrown around in places where it doesn't actually apply. Nobody seems to have any idea what the word means anymore.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
My guess, due to Aqumans box office success and Shazam's critical success, DC is having more confidence in its DCEU.
No rebooting necessary

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they kept every fucking body in the cast to be the same characters so at this point I'm glad they removed the one recast and just made it a new character.

Leto is 100% gone because Gunn hates him. Joker probably won't be in this since they don't want to confuse people with the other Joker.