• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The success of the Battle Royale genre is completely incomprehensible to me.

I don't get the interest in dropping in a big map to loot stuff for most of your game, hoping to find someone to kill without being sniped from behind. I tried a few times on a few different games, for science, and it was the most boring and unsatisfying multiplayer experiences i ever had. Apex might have been lightly less boring than the others but... Not by a big margin.

I don't get it AT ALL.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I never watch streamers, the only video content I tend to like is well edited documentary or magazine formatted, more like a traditional TV segment. The only multiplayer I ever really touch is fighters and the occasional game of Pro Evo(which I still prefer to FIFA).

As more relates to this forum I'm not into big cinematic story based AAA games like Sony make and I'm also not interested by most stuff Nintendo puts out either. New hardware rarely excites me, and I don't care about high resolutions. So that's a lot of topics skipped past here.

I think the most mainstream thing I'm into these days are From Software games and even those only feel big in certain gaming circles like this forum.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
i just dont get all the bitching and moaning about anything and everything, this run up to the new gen has been unbearable. im old enough to remember people have always argued over their favourite box whether it was speccy/c64 or snes/md but never to this extent. i now think sometimes is it time to hang up the joypads.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Battle royale games

Youtubers/streamers

Small screen gaming, not that it's new but have no interest since a kid. sort of thing I did on school bus trips. Got a big TV as a young teen in the early 90s that was second hand, that was always the goal to get a big ass TV to play Streets of Rage and that ethos is still there. Have a Sony 55" XF900 and can't fathom playing on a tiny screen.

Subscriptions/GAAS

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
There are definitely a few popular trends that I am completely uninterested in.

• The biggest category would be multiplayer competitive games, I just cannot give a shit. This makes the current PC exclusive scene completely unappealing to me as it seems to consist mostly of games of this type. PC is great for multiplats though.
  • Nintendo Switch. I have the console and I can see it is very popular around the world, but I never play it. The biggest reason is the lack of exclusives that interest me - I could not care less for Smash or Animal Crossing. As for indie games - If I can play a given game elsewhere, I prefer it due to better visuals and performance, so I almost never buy multi-plats on the Switch.
  • A big chunk of indie games belongs to genres that I do not like. I cannot get into any roguelike games, I don't like metroidvanias, card games or puzzle platformers. Does not mean I don't play indies - it is just that when I see new indie releases, I feel like I have to skip 80% of them.
  • Touch screen games - outside of a few experiences that use it well, it just feels bad to me. Even if I have a few minutes to spare and I have the phone in my hand, I vastly prefer to just read gaming news or watch a video.
  • If I did not have a kid, I would probably never played Fortnite, Minecraft, or Fall Guys. Still, even though I did it only to make him happy, I have to say that these were not bad experiences overall.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played a GAAS or battle royale game.

The newest online multiplayer game I've played is Dead Island, I think? Or maybe Borderlands 2 (I tend to stick with older stuff like Team Fortress 2, and in general I much prefer local multiplayer games)

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I see no point in watching someone play a game when I can play it myself. The only exception is something like a FGC tourney, because that's actually interesting.
Listening to gaming podcasts, like, why would anyone do that?
On a recent note, I care more about games than UI or features, so I am completely out of touch with this board too.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Probably that I don't care about popular streamers or FTP stuff, like at all. Unless it's itchio level indie stuff, but even lately I don't play those as much due to the volume of stuff I got left :T

Edit: I always saw streaming from the host part, but always with a few friends. I could get feedback to finish the game faster and basically play together instead of passing the afternoon doing it alone. It's the mindset of going big and playing what's popular that I don't get it.

I DO like watching random people play something I had played before, but from the perspective of seeing their first time reactions.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm done with graphical upgrades. Like I get less and less impressed the more "advanced" graphics I see. And I think the obvious increase in manpower graphical upgrades need is becoming much harder to justify.

Like do i enjoy the condensation on the window and the tiny scratches on Ellie's arm in TLOU2? Sure, but I didn't need them. And I wonder how many hours some poor bugger spent rendering them.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Fortnite. I just don't get it, no one seems to like the building aspect of the game and the actual shooting is terrible (unless they've improved it?)

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
- I'm not into shooters, I find them too chaotic and get nervous playing them
- I mostly play single player games, I'm not into multiplayer
- Never played Fortnite, PUBG, Fall Guys, Minecraft, LoL, WoW
- I mostly don't care about costumes, cosmetics, ... if it doesn't give me an advantage in the game itself
- Don't think I ever made a microtransaction

I've been gaming since I was 3 years (I'm from '87)

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Not into Minecraft, COD, Fortnight, and online gaming has fallen off a cliff. And I've bought exactly one piece of post-launch DLC since the 360 gen, and that was the Ecto-one Ghostbuster car for Burnout Paradise. I'm generally anti- MTX.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Like many others here I don't "get" streamers.

Like I understand why they would be popular, like a charismatic funny person is fun. But fundamentally , unscripted peeps playing games for hours is just time sounds about as good as reality TV.

I've tried MOBAs and I didn't like them, but I wouldn't say I'm out of touch on them, tho.

VeemoTime

Nov 5, 2018
I almost never touched anything beyond Nintendo stuff so things such as MOBA's, mainstream triple AAA gaming, mobile gaming, trophies and the such is like an alien world to me

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Not into streamers or shooters (although I loved Unreal Tournament and Quake in the 90s.)

Huge Nintendo lover but I don't care for Smash, AC or Paper Mario.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't get pre-orders.
I don't get watching someone else play single player games for hours.
I don't get "Microtransactions are FINE in AAA game as long as they are just cosmetic"
I don't get playing games that require analog controls on touch screen
I also don't get "No one needs backwards compatibility anyway"
I don't get how most people are fine with joycon drift because "you can just buy another one"

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
-Buying cosmetics for games
spending money on free to play games
-Looter Shooters/ grinding for items. In partiular, I don't get the appeal of Destiny/Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Division
-watching streamers/let's plays.
-tipping a streamer
-tipping a rich streamer.
-MOBA's.
-Pokemon.
-People obsessed with who's being added to Smash Bros.
walking simulators- always just seem like enviroment arsts made a game without those arsehole animators fucking everything up.
-People obsessed with the lore of Overwatch
-Fortnite (Battle Royale I get even If I don't play anymore)
-Minecraft
-Games that want to remind you how miserable you are. No, I can just go in the next room if I neeed a reminder.
-Cosplay. I get dressing up for a party. I don't get people going to conventions to have strangers take photos of you. It just seems really creepy, especially for cosplaying minors.

also. i don't care that I'm out of touch.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some you guys need to let go of the year 2007 or whenever you got stuck. Streaming/Twitch is the best shit ever, games today are the best shit ever, MOBAs are fantastic.

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018
- Fortnite
- MOBAs
- spending money on ingame cosmetics
- also phone games
- big open world games (especially from ubisoft. im excited for elden ring tho)

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah same, I just don't understand how some of them can be amass millions of followers or subs or whatever. The way kids idolise or obsess over streamers is also worrying for me.

A few years ago my son told me about Markplier and Pewdiepie or whatever his name is, was my introduction to this idea of watching people game. I haven't figured out the appeal yet or why these individuals attract millions of subscribers.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I understand a lot but one thing I'll never get is why horror games are so popular with kids nowadays, to the extent they get merch and spin-offs

Five Nights at Freddy's, Hello Neighbour, and Bendy and the Ink Machine are the big ones

Like one of my neighbours had a kid's drawing up of the latter thanking the NHS, I am eternally confused

I get kids have always had a fascination with horror (Goosebumps was big when I was young) but it never felt like it hit this level. No kid was buying merch of that creepy ventriloquist doll. I hope.

Oct 28, 2017
There's lots of things I'm not interested in, but I can't think of anything where I outright just don't understand the appeal to other people. Except the bathwater thing, that's fucked up. Then again that's barely even gaming culture so doesn't apply.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about any of the drama and controversies that many gamers seem to get upset about. All of the complaints about the lead up to the new generation of consoles didn't really bother me one bit either.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I do have another thing - YouTube personalities who scream a lot

Every time I see a Korone video I have to mute because the ear-piercing shreiks at the most mundane things are nails on chalkboard to me. Is it just because I use headphones???

The channel seems inoffensive but that aspect... Nope.

FWIW I don't mind people shreiking at an announcement they're excited for when they're genuine, though I generally watch those videos at 20% volume or something. Altho I'd never click on a video with someone going :O in the thumbnail

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Online multiplayer - I like the idea of it, but can't really will myself to get good enough at a game to be at a competitive level (if I'm playing online multi, it's just casual and for fun). Local multiplayer is much more rewarding for me.

Crafting - it was novel in the Star Ocean series, but nowadays it feels that even non-RPGs are shoehorning this in. Even more frustrating is when you are playing a game, discover a treasure in a tricky dungeon, and it's nothing but a new crafting recipe... what a way to deflate the excitement of finding a new treasure! Crafting also feels like a way to artificially increase grinding, now instead of grinding gold to buy items (which, at least you know how long this'll take you - if every enemy drops 10 gold, and a fight takes ~5 minutes, and you need 100 gold... then you'll have things in ~50 min), you have to just hope the drops you need come up.

Minecraft - I've never played this but I really liked DQ Builders, so *shrug*. Steve in Smash had me going 'meh'.

MOBAs - every video I've seen of one and I have no clue whatsoever what is going on... they seem to be a UI nightmare with a shit ton of particle effects.

Inflated game lengths - look, I have nothing against long games (my favorite game this gen is Cold Steel III which took me close to 130 hours to beat, and I play tons of long-ass RPGs), but too many games feature lots of padding that could be trimmed and be none the worse for it. Sometimes, I don't mind a game that's quick to get going, that you don't need to sit down and devote a few hours at a time just to make any kind of progress in it. But so many people feel that long-ass game time is a selling point.

Roblox - I thought this was Minecraft with legos, but it actually sounds kinda cool now that I look into it more? I bet if this was around back when I was young I would've gone apeshit over it.

Streaming is one of the few "today's gaming culture" things I do get - although with me it's watching speedruns of classic games, or fighting game tourneys.

I also see a lot of people not into Youtube... but there are some fantastic deep dive channels for gaming (of course, my preference leans toward retro and the obscure):
Chrontendo, Generation 16, Game Sack, Kim Justice, SegaLordX, Top Hat Gaming Man

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I won't play online, I refuse.
GaaS, Gacha, F2P and all that are the devil and it's actively destroying the craft of game-design.
eSports. You can't tell me these people are having actual fun playing these games. Playing games shoud be fun, not a competitive business.

But it's the future! (yay).

Jul 4, 2018
Oh I do have another thing - YouTube personalities who scream a lot

Every time I see a Korone video I have to mute because the ear-piercing shreiks at the most mundane things are nails on chalkboard to me. Is it just because I use headphones???

The channel seems inoffensive but that aspect... Nope.

FWIW I don't mind people shreiking at an announcement they're excited for when they're genuine, though I generally watch those videos at 20% volume or something. Altho I'd never click on a video with someone going :O in the thumbnail

With you here, seems a lot of zoomer humor is let's be as loud and random as possible, really not for me.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Streamers in general. I don't get the appeal of watching someone else play videogames

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I have no interest in ever playing Fortnite, battle royales in general, Minecraft or mobile games. I also prefer buying physical games for consoles.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
In almost every way.
I stay up to date on announcements and hardware

But I don't Get twitch
I don't get streaming in general
I don't get Watching someone play games on video
I don't get Minecraft
I don't get most Online games
I don't get Glowing hardware
I don't get colored hair
I don't get Outrage
I don't get the term "Rad"
I don't get narrative driven experiences

I think I just hate main stream culture... haha
I feel like an old man

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I wouldnt call it out of touch, just that I tried/researched and not interested in pursuing any future with the following

-MMOs
-MOBAs
-Subscription gaming/online services
-Touch controls [gaming wise, mostly. There where some great DS games. Interface wise still potential]
-Wireless controls [?]
-Battle Royale [likedx the concept...but in 99% of games its to chaotic for me]
-Endless games like Minecraft
-VR [for now, in a view years...]
-3D [for now, in a view years...]
-Gaming Monitors
-Pure gaming Laptops
-MP Oriented specifically with online strangers
-GaaS
-Sports games
-Watching streaming/LPs/Podcasts
-eSports/competitive scenes
-"Collecting" games
-"Collecting" game related materials (i.e. Amiibos, figures, posters, etc)
-Game related Trading cards
Yeah, mostly the same. Added comments where i differ.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Streamers

Like I get watching a game you don't own on Youtube or whatever...but watching someone else play a game you can probably access and play yourself (like F2P ones) AND you have to listen to them talk and watch them?

I still don't get the appeal

Also Battle Royales, I've tried a few but well...dropping into a game only to get killed within 5 mins by someone you didn't even see coming? Not very fun

Or maybe I just suck, who knows. I prefer to suck in single player or co op where I can live long enough to actually get better.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
The whole competitive, FPS, MOBA, battle royale and e-sport thing. Never was quite interested in this community aspect of gaming aside from discussions like here and close friends.

finalhour

Nov 8, 2017
Mainly I just don't play new games anymore. I'm almost 2 generations behind, just having fun with old games. I still read news and follow stuff, but am definitely more into retro gaming.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
All the stream-focused multiplayer games. Fall Guys, Among Us, Dead By Daylight, etc. They all seem like janky messes that are fun for about 15 minutes