• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not into Fortnite or Minecraft. I think that's it really. Was never into sports games, aside from the more arcade-y ones, and those are all dead now

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what Among Us is and why its videos have dozens of millions of views.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I guess mobile gaming? I just never really find myself in situations where I have the time to play mobile games in any great capacity. If I'm out, I'm usually doing something and if I'm home, I'd obviously rather use a dedicated gaming machine. Also, I don't like murdering my battery on my phone with gaming.

But I find it weird that people, especially here, like to wear being "out of touch" like some badge of honor. It doesn't make you any more cool or gain you any cred.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
GaaS. Pretty much all of it. I had my fill with Pokemon GO and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp in the first two weeks of both.

Also, Battle Royale games. I played Tetris 99 for a few rounds and got to the Level 13 in Fall Guys. These types of games just lose their appeal REALLY fast with me, and I don't see the point in continuing with them long term.

I'm still a bit of a purist in the sense that I like games that I can beat/complete absolutely.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've never given much of a shit about all the minutiae or fan-facing flare around video games: Box Art. Title Screens. Logos. Console aesthetics. Collectibles/Merch. Pre-order bonuse etc, etc... Sure, I can recognize when something is well done, or not, but this stuff is 'serious business' in communities like Era in a way I've never fully understood.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
The whole idea of streamers is weird to me. If I have time to just watch somebody play a game i'd rather just play it myself. I'm old though.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about multiplayer and don't care about most "AAA" games. Most of Sony's stuff, Witcher 3, and RDR2 stand out in particular as things I just don't "get".

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It's only 20 years old, a mere passing fancy lmao. One of these days kids will get over this whole "hip hop" fad too, I'm sure of it!
Fidget spinners were a fad. Open world games have been widely popular for over a decade. You just don't like them.

Wrong. It's only been the second half of this gen, when most of western AAA titles made it a fad, and it even started to creep into good old linear franchises like Uncharted and TLOU. Now it's From's turn. Know your history.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand the draw of Roblox. I legit tried playing it but everything looks so amateurish and Janky, but kids love it.

Now if that game was avaliable when I was a child I would have probably been crazy with, the idea of unlimited games with online aspects sounds like a cool concept, but I feel that this game is not for me at this stage of life, unless I had kids/nieces with whom I would play it constantly

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I do not need a narrative to play a game.

I really do not see any reason to sit and watch other people play games on Twitch

I have no interest in putting in tons of extra work for achievements/trophies

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I don't play Minecraft or Smash, so when I heard Steve was in Smash, I was wondering if that's what the localizations called Steven from the Shin Megami Tensei series. Please tell me I'm not the most out of touch person on Era...

I don't like and have never liked:
  1. Smash
  2. AC
  3. Pokémon
  4. Minecraft
  5. Angry Birds
  6. Watching people play games instead of ummmm playing them
  7. Fortnight
  8. Overwatch
I'm the most out of touch person of all time on this board

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy online multiplayer games, but man I just do not enjoy battle royales. Which is such a shame because I totally get the appeal and think most of them do some pretty cool stuff but I can never get into any of them.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Having to get into Discord to play with other people and hope to all heavens that they're not dicks or ultracompetitive assholes is one sure way of keeping myself out of multiplayer stuff.

Everyone wants to be the next popular eSports player like Ninja and give way too much attention to ranked modes and being ultracompetitive. Not only they're not that good at the game, they make sure everyone around them have a miserable time.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot fathom how one can get angry enough about video games to rant about them online or direct hate at developers' social medias. I myself feel frustrated about labour conditions in the industry, transphobia, homophobia, racism, and the like in games (especially those developed by a dominantly white group), and the lack of marginalized representation in AAA dev and publisher leadership, but Spider-man looking different? That feels like such a low-stakes problem to me in comparison, assuming it is considered a problem.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I cannot get into traditional battle royales. Mainly due to having to wait after getting downed and not having the fastest hard drive speeds. I could if I could pop back in and try again immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about multiplayer and don't care about most "AAA" games. Most of Sony's stuff, Witcher 3, and RDR2 stand out in particular as things I just don't "get".

i did like witcher 3 but yeah mostly this

sometimes an AAA game will hit with me but im beyond over third person over the shoulder cinematic "movie" games. i thought the worst was the period was when we had brown fps everywhere but i feel this is way worse. i tried god of war, uncharted, tlou (not 2) you name it. few hours i fall off HARD-they just feel like the same shit-watch cutscene, press forward, watch cutscene, set piece, repeat. doesnt help that these stories dont hit with me at ALL

oh and also these flavor of the month games-meh, fall guys, among us, you know any game that blows up from nowhere-i try them sometimes, but whatever. fall off hard too.

as long as sony gets jrpgs though, ill probably always own their consoles. but ps3/ps4 is pretty shit compared to ps2/ps1. that playstation era was fucking incredible.

some AAA games i did like though, nier automata, botw, phantom pain, and witcher 3.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
--I don't understand how any of this monetization shit works. I still don't really get how battle passes work.

--I understand why people watch YouTubers and Twitch streamers, I'm just not into them.

--Same with BRs. I'm just not that much into recent multiplayer games in general but I at least understand how BRs change things.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any desire to stream or watch other people stream games. More power to those that do, but it's not for me.

I'm also completely detached from the hype around the new consoles for the first time. I'm usually there day one, but this time I'm not really interested.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Don't enjoy RPG-lite mechanics being shoved into everything.

I prefer tightly scripted linear games over checklist open worlds.

I vastly prefer 10-20 hour games to 40+ hour games.

I don't care to watch any streamers and I generally avoid Twitch like the plague.

I think using external chat apps like Discord is a pain in the ass and I'd rather use in-game comms or party chat.

e-Sports are completely beyond me. I just have no interest in any of it and I wish developers (*cough* 343i *cough*) would stop catering to them so hard because it's ruining the casual experience entirely.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought that I would watch people play games, but occasionally I do watch this couple I found - around when Last of Us 2 came out. They're so laidback, it's like a chill thing to listen to / watch for a few minutes if they're ever online while I'm working. We're in totally different time zones so it seldom happens.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, I mostly focus on japanese games, don't care about mobile and the majority of western games. And I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am an old hag, so online multiplayer (i need my opponents in the same room to have any fun), mobile, sports and most super hero games fly a few kilometres above my head.
I would have said the gatchas as well but I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so that would be wrong (damn that was annoying opening all these crystals)

The streamers are just like your friends that invited you but never let you touch the controller... without the cookies and milk... and with a gagball so you can't talk to them. Nah, i had my fill when i was a kid.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
I really don't understand the appeal of streaming.

Gaming isn't social to me unless I'm playing with people and I'm not going to watch people do it either.

G9man2

Sep 18, 2020
In my late 30's here. The whole fortnite craze went right over my head. I did try playing it but could not get into it. Also watching people play game on twitch. I rather spend my time playing games than watching someone play.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I barely keep up with any of the big AAA stuff on PS/Xbox. I'm the weirdo who gets excited when a new first person turn based dungeon crawler is announced for Switch.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wrong. It's only been the second half of this gen, when most of western AAA titles made it a fad, and it even started to creep into good old linear franchises like Uncharted and TLOU. Now it's From's turn. Know your history.
So this little franchise called Grand Theft Auto didn't take the world by storm in the '00s? I must have hallucinated students playing that in my college lounge. I've got even fuzzier memories of being able to explore almost the entire world map in Legend of Zelda, weird...

I've been playing video games since the late Atari days, but go off.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I'm completely out of touch. The only games I buy these days are when old games get rereleased on steam/gog.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Easy mode

Fortnite

Entitlement

Single platform Locked exclusives - which seems to be getting better with Sony stuff finally coming more to PC

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I don't play any multiplayer/GaaS games or watch any streamers at all. I also pretty much never buy DLC.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't have Easy Mode back in the day, just the way I like it.

Ain't about that softness.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
  • I generally want shorter games, or tighter experiences I guess. 10hrs is great
  • Not that big into open world games, I'm playing Horizon right now and still kinda go from main story mission to main story mission
  • No interest in battle royale
  • Never touch DLC
  • Not big into multiplayer for the list part, minus Fifa 1 on 1, and the occasional Halo match. I think I might get into Destiny 2 once I have it on the Series X though, I liked playing it on Stadia and missed 60fps when I went back to Xbox
  • BC is a big selling point to me, probably more than it should be
  • Streamers are weird to me, let's play youtube a little less so

Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue about stuff like Minecraft, Roblox, Fortnite, Overwatch etc. There's absolutely nothing that interests me about those games.

I don't watch livestreamers. No interest in watching people play games unless it's reviews or someone playing old games. Only reason I've ever even heard about someone like Ninja is due to him being mentioned here, and that floss failure video.

I don't play online. Ever. I only really play offline, single-player, story-driven games.

And it's obviously the kids who are wrong.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
I don't care about streamers.

I don't care about Companies selling outfits and don't find it to be some MT screw over. If them selling skins gets me free map packs or even games so be it. I have spent $0 on cosmetics and never found them engaging. But thanks to all the people that have map packs seems to be a dead thing. Which is nice.