• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When did music peak?

• 50s

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 60s

Votes: 37 6.4%
  • 70s

Votes: 107 18.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 157 27.2%
  • 90s

Votes: 187 32.4%
  • 00s

Votes: 33 5.7%
  • 10s until now

Votes: 53 9.2%

• Total voters

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Post evidence so we can decide and listen to music together. It's my personal opinion that it peaked in the 60s. Music was a force with meaning back then. You also had the greatest guitarist ever, Jimi Hendrix, the greatest band/writing duo The Beatles, the greatest singer songwriter Bob Dylan, and thats really just the top of the iceberg.

I tried to add poll but failed from 50s on to 10sand today. My bad.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It won't ever peak. Every day there's something new and magnificent, the best thing you've ever heard - you just haven't heard it yet.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 2010s gave us Splatoon, SiIvagunner, and Simpsonswave. Hard to top that

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You are referring to popular American music.

This is the most American ass thread.

For me my favorite shit is from the 70s-90s.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1730 to 1820, but this is always a void discussion because there's always great music on every era, people just mock the commercial or mainstream ones. Something that's constantly evolving and influence itself between genres, backgrounds and eras will always produce new stuff, some may like it, some not.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I don't think music can "peak", but in terms of popular music I will say my favorite time is the 80s. I was born in 89 so I didn't grow up with it either.

OP
OP
Morrison71

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I may sound like the old guy yelling at the cloud but it does seem like it is harder to find good music these days. I'm not saying it isn't out there. However, it seems like back in the day the talent made the record labels now it seems like the record labels are generating the talent. But we have technology on our side and anyone can put music out and we all have much greater access to any music we search out.edit=and technology has made us lazy and nobody pays attention to the arts like they use to. I do think music can peak and it has in the 60s.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly feels like the last couple decades have basically just been a remix of the 80's and 90's. No new genres or styles have really broken out into the mainstream, though there's obviously plenty of niche genres that have flourished online. But there's nothing new like heavy metal, punk, New Wave, rap, alternative, EDM, all of which started at least 30 years ago.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I may sound like the old guy yelling at the cloud but it does seem like it is harder to find good music these days. I'm not saying it isn't out there. However, it seems like back in the day the talent made the record labels now it seems like the record labels are generating the talent. But we have technology on our side and anyone can put music out and we all have much greater access to any music we search out.edit=and technology has made us lazy and nobody pays attention to the arts like they use to. I do think music can peak and it has in the 60s.

Here's some new stuff I've enjoyed:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may sound like the old guy yelling at the cloud but it does seem like it is harder to find good music these days. I'm not saying it isn't out there. However, it seems like back in the day the talent made the record labels now it seems like the record labels are generating the talent.
I think some part of this is just that because the audience for stuff like FM Radio and MTV has decreased, they're only interested in playing content that appeals to the broadest possible audience. Which just means a non-stop playlist of 10-20 pop hits.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
The 60s were amazing. Jazz and folk flourished, all types of new psychedelic and experimental genres emerged, and so many legendary bands/artists came up.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's always on the rise, even now you will find new music that can sound just like all eras. There's now something for everybody, all tastes, all genres. Just skip the FM radio stuff if you don't like it, it's only a tiny tiny percentage of the vast ocean of great music out there now.

All that said, I still voted 70s (and paused on 60s as well) as a lot of the music I enjoy directly references the standards set by pop/rock musicians from these eras.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Music is in constant evolution it's a tree with 100s of arms some times some of them are the spotlight while others neglected, sometimes new ones appear. I don't know when we'll peak or if it's even possible, but I know one thing. There's never been a better time to experience and appreciate the hugeness and beauty of music such as now.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It just keeps getting better every year, even when certain genres descend into mindless pop music for a spell (looking at you my first love, hip hop).

OP
OP
Morrison71

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I do think I have a valid point, the 60s was the last great artistic revolution. I would love to have one now and it seems like we should but no time with YouTube or whatever else we are watching/doing on our phone all the time. If anyone can have a genuine argument against that I would love to hear it.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
Has music peaked? I mean I'd say I like 70s mainly for a lot of the pop and soft rock that came out then, followed probably by the 00s for the wave of indie from that decade and a good bit of the hip hop then too, followed by 2010s for mainly hip hop, and probably 60s or 90s. I'm honestly sick of 80s music at this point, it feels very "overdone" as nice as a lot of it still sounds.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I was born in 1980 and the 60s are the best. Y'all are lazy if you really think that. Get on that music hunt grind. Don't listen to the radio.

i was born in the 80s and i'd never pick the 60s. lots of high highs, but the album as a medium didn't really get great until the 70s-- mostly everything was still tracked to appease radio/corporations