• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Basically what it says in the title: we share iconic game scenes from this decade here. Please make sure to identify the game.

I'll start us off:

The Last of Us (2013):

maxresdefault.jpg

The giraffe scene is the most iconic scene from this beloved game, and with good reason - not only is it gorgeously filmed, with the swelling of the soundtrack punctuating the cinematography, but the scene also acts as a culmination of all that was lost, and all that is yet to come, in The Last of Us' harsh world. Yes, Ellie has never before seen a giraffe, but in spite of everything she has been through, she still has the sense of wonder and innocence at the world and what it has to offer, which stands as the exemplification of the fact that she (and by proxy, the future) needs to be preserved, no matter how dismal the present has gotten.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017):

2017030317484300_F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.0.jpg

Probably the single most iconic scene of this decade, as a disoriented Link awakens from a 100 year slumber and steps out of the Shrine of Resurrection to behold a ruined Hyrule, taken over by Ganon, passively awaiting its end. But more than its significance in the story, which, let's face it, is barely a factor in Breath of the Wild, is its significance to the player: a vast world, stretching before the player in all directions, as far as the eye can see, open to be explored at leisure, a world that has found beauty even in desolation, an invitation to adventure. Hyrule remains a world worth fighting for.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Entering Mexico for the first time in the original Red Dead Redemption with Far Away by Jose Gonzales playing in the background. Riding across an empty desert as the sun dips over the horizon with only you and your horse, the entire moment carried simply by Gonzales' beautiful vocals and guitar. It's all so wistful, brooding and cathartic considering the game had you kill dozens of people only a mission before in one of the game's big bombastic set pieces.

Red Dead Redemption II's attempt to ape this moment came off as cheap and beyond soulless.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Mass Effect 2's Suicide Mission. Still probably the single greatest bit of interactive entertainment ever delivered by BioWare:

Oct 29, 2017
Portal 2
ylFT0OH.png

You are fighting the final boss, when all hope of defeating him is lost you notice that you are looking at the sky for the first time, and there you see a circular shape of a familiar shade of gray, the moon.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
FFXV Last Campfire. The voice acting, lightning, mood and animation really sells that scene and makes it one of the strongest cutscenes in the franchise.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
The New Donk City festival was honestly really magical to me, hit all the right places for me at the time.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

I don't know if it counts but this mid-boss scene in Bloodborne's DLC gives me chills Everytime. The music, the voice acting, it's perfect. It leads into what's one of the greatest 2nd phases of a boss fight ever as well

Oct 24, 2019
The beginning and ending Last of Us.

The fight with the Stranger in GoW.

The reveal of Yharnam's true state in Bloodborne

Geralt in the bathtub or Geralt/Yennefer on the stuffed unicorn in Witcher 3

The intro to Columbia in Bioshock Infinite/meeting Elizabeth

Suicide mission in Mass Effect 2

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really like the scene in TLOU where Joel & Ellie have their big clash in the house after Ellie runs away that they needed to open up to each other. That's the standout of that game.

And in BotW my favourite scene was not arriving on the Great Plateau but rather the opposite- departing from it. Opening up the game for the first time and having the world to explore felt awesome in a way no other game has made me feel.

And I would also pick the choice in Fire Emblem Fates. Maybe it was because my first choice was actually meaningful since I had both paths to choose from from the start and I honestly felt really torn.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Black and White's entire ending. I can't believe Game Freak went this hard.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, I need to say only one word, and people know what it is.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017

I don't know if it counts but this mid-boss scene in Bloodborne's DLC gives me chills Everytime. The music, the voice acting, it's perfect. It leads into what's one of the greatest 2nd phases of a boss fight ever as well

I was lying in bed when this happened. I opened my eyes and knew something huge was about to come.

I sat down and greatly enjoyed the rest of the battle until the very end. The music is perfect and it also gives me the chills.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The final scenes of the Trespasser DLC in Inquisition, even more so if you did Solas' romance in the main game. We'll see if Bioware can live up to it with DA4 (right now I doubt it unfortunately.)

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
LIS_BTS_Takemyhand.gif

1*WF79ONT0JvAS3ku21TAnfA.jpeg

Not sure this counts but I guess it should
giphy.gif

Edit: Life is Strange before the storm, where you are in a pretty metaphorical rendition of the Tempest while also having an instrumental moment with the girl you (Chloe) love

Mass Effect 3, Priority Tuchanka with Mordin who chooses to redeem himself.

Mario Kart 8 where the interaction between racers caused a long summer of memes.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
- Yakuza 0: Nishiki scene (end of chapter 6).
file_9226_necks-and-heads.jpg
One of my favourite parts of the game. Well, parts that didn't have Kuze in it anyway.

My choice is this end bit from 6:
duq7owalxo0tstvzqvlz.jpg

Kiryu walking away from Haruka and the rest of his adopted kids. A powerful ending. Oh, make sure to check him out in Yakuza 7! (cannot wait to see how they handle that, this weeks trailer clips have me beyond hyped).

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
"Played college ball, ya know..."

This is up there too. It's so ridiculous but it's so perfect

I was lying in bed when this happened. I opened my eyes and knew something huge was about to come.

I sat down and greatly enjoyed the rest of the battle until the very end. The music is perfect and it also gives me the chills.

Don't think From have managed to outdo this scene yet despite all the attempts in later games. It came together so well

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The "Bay" ending in Life is Strange.

I mean that game had plenty of moments. That one though sticks with me.

Spanish Sahara by Foals playing in the background also was key.