• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
This was my Ace.

130254.jpg

My ultimate trump card to nuke the entire field.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Random question, but do you know about the Harpie Lady cards in the Rise of Destiny booster packs? I used to had a Harpie Lady deck with a bunch of them but then my cousin said I can only have three of them despite the numbering in the name. I used to run 2 Harpie Lady #1, 1 Harpie Lady #2, and 2 Harpie Lady #3 but changed it to 2 Harpie Lady #1 and one Harpie Lady #2 afterwards.
You can only have a max of 3 Harpie Ladies. So having 2 HL#1 and 2 HL#2 would be illegal because your total number of HLs is 4.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My ace from back in the day.

latest

I ran this bad boy, Jinzo, royal decree, and imperial order (before it was banned, I think). Shut down all that support. Nowadays that strat wouldn't fly, but it was so fun back in the day. Also loved using lvl 6 to run through swords of revealing light.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017

latest

I ran this bad boy, Jinzo, royal decree, and imperial order (before it was banned, I think). Shut down all that support. Nowadays that strat wouldn't fly, but it was so fun back in the day. Also loved using lvl 6 to run through swords of revealing light.

Not fun for the opponent. That's a single player game strat.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
^^^ total classic!

Card really needs a retrain similar to Silent Swordsman and Silent Magician.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Random question, but do you know about the Harpie Lady cards in the Rise of Destiny booster packs? I used to had a Harpie Lady deck with a bunch of them but then my cousin said I can only have three of them despite the numbering in the name. I used to run 2 Harpie Lady #1, 1 Harpie Lady #2, and 2 Harpie Lady #3 but changed it to 2 Harpie Lady #1 and one Harpie Lady #2 afterwards.

Your cousin's right.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Generation 1
: Duel Monsters
User: Seto Kaiba

Original Artwork:
latest

Latest Artwork:
latest

Imagine having a card with such a reputation as the strongest card ever that there's a written rule on Konami's Yu-Gi-Oh! Design Team that states that no other normal monster can ever match the strength of that card. A card whose design, name and anime appereances have created thousands of references and memes. If there is one card that goes beyond being associated with "Yu-Gi-Oh!" it has to be this one. Your friends might not know a thing about this game, but they have heard the name before.

A powerful engine of destruction, virtually invincible. Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a level 8, Light, Dragon-Type Normal Monster that boasts the highest attack among all normal monsters in the game, 20 years of new cards and mechanics cannot strip him of the title of strongest normal monster, it has 3000 ATK. And a solid 2500 DEF.

Blue-Eyes artworks are all freaking great (with the exception of it's mandatory god-awful "Stone Tablet" version), but it's the original artwork the one that I think made this card what it is. Despite the fact of the original artwork being a Blue-Eyes Blue Dragon the artwork immediately pulls your attention towards it's signature feature, it's eye. The pose of the card, the colors, everything works to make that blue-eye as striking as possible, even the little wrinkles on the creature's eye-socket focus on making it stand out. And it works. You feel as if that dragon is staring directly at your soul. The rest of the creature feels a bit cartoonish at times, which is why I feel the card's second artwork tried to make him look more menacing and while I don´t hate it. I think simplicity worked best this time.

That said, I cannot not give a shoutout to Kazuki Takahashi's simply beatiful anniversary artwork for the card, it's absolutely breathtaking and my favorite artwork for the creature
latest

The fully drawn background does wonders to sell this as a living thing that inhabits another world. The lack of detailed backgrounds is one of the main sins of YGO artwork, and this card is a testament of what could be.

Unlike Dark Magician, Blue-Eye's design remains consistent even with the previosly mentioned coloring issues that make it look blue at times, no matter how many artworks this card gets, it never gets old. You can even throw the fucker in space and it will still look majestic. But that simple first artwork is undeniably what made the card an icon.

Blue-Eyes is well worth it's 2 tribute requirement to hit the field, but again, it was outclassed by "Summoned Skull" as the go to beater of Yu-Gi-Oh's early days, why wait until you have 2 monsters when you can just use 1 and get a 2500 beater that you can equip with axe of despair? Why risk running 3 of those fuckers and brick your deck for the unlikely event that you'll be able to fuse them into Ultimate Dragon?

In modern YGO the times have changed, and thankfully for Blue-Eyes, it's enormous batch of support geared into turning the deck into a Synchro-focused deck that also has access to great fusions monsters and have made it a force to be reckoned with in the casual circles of the game.

The lore behind the support is creative as hell, it's basically an order of Blue-Eyes worshippers that do everything in their power to get their master to the field. Even the egg of the dragon itself became a card to help you bring out the engine of destruction as fast as possible

Together with many new forms for the creature itself to take and disrupt the opponent with quick effects and non stop attacks

And even amazing Spell support

Blue-Eyes' level 8 even makes it able to make use the Xyz monsters of one of the many "-Eyes" Dragon themes inspired by it, my personal favorite "Galaxy-Eyes"

Even if not a tournament winner, Blue-Eyes is a beloved deck, one that makes it worth the pain of finding a good price for it's rarest cards.

Blue-Eyes is the card that started it all really, even the very first expansion set of the game is named after it. There's few bad things to say about it. The reason why I consider "Dark Magician" to be the face of YGO, is because I firmly believe Blue-Eyes White Dragon goes above and beyond that.

Trivia time!I In the manga and anime the spirit of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon is supposed to inhabit originally a human egyptian girl named Kisara. This piece of lore inspired the creation of "Maiden with Eyes of Blue"

My Blue Eyes!

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
What if I told you that Thunder Dragon actually sees competitive play right now
I used to joke with my brother (who is a much more yugi hardcore than I'll ever be) that I will go back to yugi when thunder dragon gets support. When he told me that, I wouldn't believe him. I'm kinda back to yugi but mostly on Duel links (which, overwhemly, has taken over my gaming time) but also made a Isolde / hero deck with my brother's help.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I used to joke with my brother (who is a much more yugi hardcore than I'll ever be) that I will go back to yugi when thunder dragon gets support. When he told me that, I wouldn't believe him. I'm kinda back to yugi but mostly on Duel links (which, overwhemly, has taken over my gaming time) but also made a Isolde / hero deck with my brother's help.
I have a similar Hero deck. I like it but playing brick equips has gotten really old.

I did recently incorporate T.G. Striker to go into Borrel Savage Dragon/Dark Law boards.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

latest

Along similar lines and at a similar point in time, this was one of my absolute favorite cards back in the day, to the point that I tried to force a deck made around it in 2017 lol

I'm pretty sure this card will eventually break something. It's begging to be a meta breaker if backrow-heavy play becomes popular again and the right support exists

Harpie Lady
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Harpie Lady
Generation 1
User: Mai Valentine

Original Artwork:
latest

Latest Artwork:

Harpie Lady, is probably one of the most well known cards of the Duelist Kingdom arc in the anime, used by the femme fatale Mai Valentine, this Level 4, WIND, winged beast-type monsters were Joey Wheeler's first real challenge as a duelist.

The artwork has a great combination of striking colors and her pose is really cool and memorable, but my main problem with the original artwork is how her giant boobs immediately takes focus away from her face, and how little detail there is on her face actually. The fact is that her face doesn't even try to show the card's personality, every other incarnation shows her as this confident huntress with a smug smile, none of that is here. Just take a look at her powered up form "Harpie Lady Sisters", that's the personality I´m talking about.

And what's even more curious is that for all intent and purpuses, this card does not seem to be the canon version of Harpie Lady, every single piece of artwork going forward consistently uses the artwork of a later version of the card "Harpie Lady 1"

latest

Harpie Lady 1 has more focus on her face, but it still fails to showcase the personality on every other card she's in, the purple jump suit looks pretty bad with the green wings and I'm not really a fan of taking away the blue skin. The fact is that she´s almost naked in the original version of the art (NSFW), and I feel that it works a bit better than the purple skin-tight suit clashing with her red hair and green wings. But it's still not good, I think it's that weird plastic shine she has what kills it for me. To be honest the card would look so much better if she looked like she does in her later support cards which I'm about to talk about.

A 1300 level 4 monster without an effect is not good. Period. Her main focus back in the day was to use "Elegant Egotist" on her to get "Harpie Lady Sisters" on the field for a whooping 1950 ATK...Not very good.

Thankfully Mai Valentine is fan favorite character which means harpies has received a lot of support over the years! Their main strategy is to swarm the field with beautiful ladies or using "Harpie's Pet Dragon" to bring out powerful Rank 7 Xyz monster. (Keep an eye for the artwork of the harpies below, to show the point I made earlier about their faces showing personality.)

Harpies are even ready to take on the Link Era with an upcoming Link monster, Harpie Conductor!
latest

Harpies are now an extremely versatile deck that gets you a Harpie Party or an Xyz monster pretty fast, each of the new harpies looks great and the support doesn't seem to be stopping, it's a card that really worth keeping an eye out for. Despite her lackluster initial performance Harpies are now truly beatiful to watch and deadly in battle.

My main issue with this new support is that unlike Dark Magician's or Blue-Eye's the new cards completely replace the original card instead of using it as the base for the strategy.

Trivia time! The TCG name is in fact a japanes mistranslation the word the correct spelling would be "Harpy Lady"

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wanting to buy the PS1 game just to get Red Eyes Black Metal Dragon, even though I didn't own a PS1.

I ended up buying the Xbox game because it came with Winged Dragon of Ra. Was only $20 which felt like the steal of the century at the time. I held the power OF AN EGYPTIAN GOD KAIBA

Including cards with games back in the day (Yugioh and Pokemon) was fucking genius.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I remember wanting to buy the PS1 game just to get Red Eyes Black Metal Dragon, even though I didn't own a PS1.

I ended up buying the Xbox game because it came with Winged Dragon of Ra. Was only $20 which felt like the steal of the century at the time. I held the power OF AN EGYPTIAN GOD KAIBA

Including cards with games back in the day (Yugioh and Pokemon) was fucking genius.
I always wanted that game just for the cards despite not owning an X Box. Think it also came with Dark Sage, the most hilariously unsummonable monster.

I ended up with The Falsebound Kingdom on GameCube.

The promo cards sucked though, Zoa, Metal Zoa and Goblin Fan did not help my deck in the slightest.

Jun 12, 2018
Yeah...Unlike Blue-Eyes and Dark Magician who have so much support that you can build different decks with different strategies while still having them as your main card, Red-Eyes gets little bits of an idea that gets immediately scrapped so they can try something else. There's no truly effective playstyle because you just don´t have enough tools to pull any of the strategies the new cards want you to create effectively. It's a damn shame because the cards themselves are good...they just need to just pick a damn idea and stick with it.

Red-Eyes Black Dragon is the "B." where the other two mains are "A+", not a bad card or deck for fun matches, but not enough of a good card to justiy having a deck around it. Damn shame.
This is surprising to me, back when I played Decade Duels on the 360 there were plenty of people running red eyes darkness metal dragon decks online.

Then again I also really enjoy Dragons so maybe I'll just build around this guy

Also this guy
latest
Am I crazy or is this card really, really good? I'm not truly knowledgeable on competitive yugioh but that card seems like it's way too easy to summon for it to have such a good effect.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
This is surprising to me, back when I played Decade Duels on the 360 there were plenty of people running red eyes darkness metal dragon decks online.

Am I crazy or is this card really, really good? I'm not truly knowledgeable on competitive yugioh but that card seems like it's way too easy to summon for it to have such a good effect.
While the card is really strong by itself the card is a bit lackluster in competitive play.

Cards like Knightmare Unicorn (a staple in most Extra Decks) really hurts the viability of this card.

Not to mention you don't even have to draw the right out if it's sitting in your Extra Deck.

Still a great card!

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
This is a very nostalgic thread.

Way back in school everyone had a deck of Yu-Gi-Oh. You were the coolest person if you had a Toon World deck or a Blue Eyes. It's carried over to new generations too; a few younger people I know are hooked on the mobile game.

My favourite cards had to be Luster Soldier.
71EQeO8.png
Vhcd7OQ.png

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of LOB I shudder to think how much a full unlimited physical set of that would cost, let alone a 1st edition set.
I have a full LOB set in first edition....how much do they collect for these days? Curious because my set is literally in my attic doing nothing.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if this are nostalgia glasses or reality, but I think that the original drawings of the dark magician and the blue eyes white dragon are vastly superior than the later reprints

Relinquished
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Relinquished
Generation 1
User: Maximilian Pegasus

Artwork:

The true final boss of duelist Kingdom, the card that represents Pegasus dropping the "Toon" facade and revealing his cruel, dark , true nature once more. A level 1 DARK Spellcaster-Type Ritual monster created for the sole purpose of plunging Yugi into darkness.

The artwork does its part. This thing...it's creepy, what I love about the art is that it makes you focus on his abdomen first, making sure that you take notice of that disgusting absorbing organ before you finally realize it's head is above it. And the head turns out to be phallic and disgusting with its veiny millenium eye making it look like it's in pain but also fixated on a target. For some reason, it reminds me of HR Giger's sexual and mechanical horrors, with its arms and shell looking weirdly biomechanical

Relinquished looks like a real monster of nightmare that shouldn't have been born. The background making it look like it's coming out of a dark corridor is just the icing in the cake. It's a scene straight from a nightmare.

As a card, being a ritual monster should make it hard to set up, but it's low level made it the easiest ritual monster to summon back in the day. It's effects are a bit annoying but it being limited to 1 absorption at a time made it easy to defeat unless you waited to snatched the absolute best monster your opponent had. Given that relinquished needs a 3 card set up...that's way too situational.

Relinquished may not have been a game changer, but it's powered up form sure was.

Thousand-Eyes Restrict is not only creepier, but also flat out game breaking. You never fused to bring this guy out and steal some monsters.you'd bring him out with cards such as Magical Scientist or Cyber-Stein and use its attack preventing effect to stall the game into Oblivion. That earned Restrict and his friends a spot on the ban list for years to come.

Support for relinquished has been underwhelming, with only having 1 expansion recently giving him love and a new even more powerful and creepier form.

Like Red-Eyes, the deck doesn't have enough to work with just those 4 cards and it breaks apart pretty easily. Upcoming Link Support for Relinquished has been anounced though....with the first card revealed to be the underwhelming "Relinquished Anima"

latest

Which has the exact same effect as OG Relinquished, except it's victim can only be a monster it's red Link Arrow points at...Terrible

It's sad to see such a good monster designbecome so irrelevant beyond being a collectible.

TRIVIA TIME! When Thousand-Eyes Restrict left the banlist, this hilarious card of it saying goodbye to his fellow inmates was released:

Last edited:

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Upcoming Link Support for Relinquished has been anounced though....with the first card revealed to be the underwhelming "Relinquished Anima"

latest

Which has the exact same effect as OG Relinquished, except it's victim can only be a monster it's red Link Arrow points at...Terrible

It's sad to see such a good monster designbecome so irrelevant beyond being a collectible.

Can't wait for this card! Perfect addition to the Altergeist extra deck since it's a spellcaster and works with Spellcaster Village.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Relinquished is one of my favorite cards, had no idea there was link support for it. I eagerly await the best card in the game, Marshmallon.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
We have been waiting so long for it :( I think that card got revealed like a year ago!

Why does it take so long? I'm all about Toons and Relinquished. I'm at least happy Toons are making a splash with Red Eyes in Duel Links right now. That Millennium Eyes fusion monster is too specific and pretty useless :/

To all the Red Eyes fans in this topic, now is a good time to be a fan in Duel Links. Red Eyes just received a ton of support through a structure deck and the latest box, they are now a strong meta deck. Bare minimum tier 3 before the box released, now potentially tier 1. The Toons variant is pretty fun and F2P friendly.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
My go-to deck was the Constellar set. Loved all the artwork on all of them (especially the Constellar Xyz's). Such a great deck! Threw in BLS: Envoy of the Beginning in that deck too

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Why does it take so long? I'm all about Toons and Relinquished. I'm at least happy Toons are making a splash with Red Eyes in Duel Links right now. That Millennium Eyes fusion monster is too specific and pretty useless :/

To all the Red Eyes fans in this topic, now is a good time to be a fan in Duel Links. Red Eyes just received a ton of support through a structure deck and the latest box, they are now a strong meta deck. Bare minimum tier 3 before the box released, now potentially tier 1. The Toons variant is pretty fun and F2P friendly.

I guess it's just Konami's release strategy when it comes to Asian/World Wide markets. Maybe they want to test the waters first these cards. Maybe they want to raise hype. It's hard to say but it can be frustrating.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The best is a dragon literally formed out of three revolvers.
Aptly named Revolver Dragon.
51-H-z-AMgd-SL.jpg

The Winged Dragon of Ra
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Winged Dragon of Ra
Generation 1
User: Marik Ishtar

Original Artwork:
latest

Latest Artwork:
61ub7AG%2BInL.jpg

The first of the 3 Egyptian gods that I'll be reviewing. Ra comes first because whenever you think about Marik Ishtar, this is the card that pops in your mind. This single piece of cardboard that made all of us go "Ok no, that's bullshit." Back in the day.

The one and only level 10 DIVINE, Divine-Beast Type Effect Monster. A Juggernaut of mystical power.....Or is it?

The design is consistent on both of it's artworks, it's a giant golden chicken. But the first artwork is the best and most iconic one. The pose makes it look like old drawings of an ancient being and it definitely makes you feel like you're looking at someone's god. The Egyptian characters in the background really drive the point home. It's golden body incorporates many ornaments traditionally seen in Egyptian artifacts it's face looks ferocious but it also looks like royalty. There's really not much to say about the design. It's really good.

I'd go as far to say that out of all 3 of the Egyptian gods. Ra is the only one that looks....well Egyptian.

For the game,the original card used to say "Spirits sing of a powerful creature that rules over all that is mystic"
tenor.gif

Ra might be one of the worst cards ever created for this game. In an attempt to balance out the hilarious bullshit Marik pulled time and time again in the anime they nerfed it to the point the card is basically an auto-lose button.

You need to tribute 3 of your monsters to summon this card and then you're immediately faced with a choice "Do I lower my LP down to 100 to have a beater that will run straight to a mirror force or do I leave him with 0 ATK to only reduce my LP a bit and destroy a couple of cards?" How in the world is that worth THREE cards!? It's terrible. Nostalgia be damned.

Attempts have been made to give support to this card. The most significant being the release of 2 the other forms the card showed in the anime as standalone cards.

Sphere mode tries to to make the OG card be able to stand on its own by giving 4000 ATK for free. But most players only ignore Ra and use the Sphere to tribute 3 opponent's monsters and leave them stuck with a useless card for 1 turn. In current times your opponent will simply use the sphere for a Link Summon.

Immortal Phoenix requires a hilariously complicated set up where it must be in the grave first and OG Ra must die for it to be summoned from there. It has a pretty underwhelming removal effect and then goes back to Square 1 by sending itself to he graveyard and bringing a sphere...goddammit.

Ra is a total disservice to what you see in the anime. It's just sad.

Trivia time! Ra's original print did not have any effect written and was not legal to use in any kind of Duel. It may have been best to stay that way...

Last edited:

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
Yu gi oh was a HUGE part of my HS. I played so much. (Quoted cause of images)

I went undefeated in my HS for a few months with good ol gravity bind. Everyone else played rushdown, i was the only GB player.

latest

latest

latest

latest

I would use my own Jinzo to suicide if they had one of their own. or to solidify a victory if i suspected they had a good trap card to stop me.

51o%2BDL37whL.jpg

Or, if they thought their Jinzo was hot stuff. I had the ultimo counter. (shoutouts to my boy sonic eagle!)

Relinquished-LED2-EN-C-1E.png

And if they still weren't dead? "MY LIFE FOR AUIR"

51agP7l3B8L.jpg

NOTHING better than the opponent summoning jinzo thinking they are dope, then having to fight my 2300 1 star relinquished with gravity bind on the field MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
I once drew 2 hayabusa knights and 2 axe of despair in my opening hand. I've never won a game of YGO that quickly. (2000 attack x2 for each? GFG)